OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Weddings?  (Read 1612 times) Average Rating: 0
Phoenix

I'm a llama!

« on: October 07, 2002, 06:22:41 PM »

I just converted to Orthodoxy a few years ago, and have not been able to see an Orthodox wedding.  However, I'm planning one and would like to know if bridesmaids, ringbearers, flowergirls are allowed.  I am the only Orthodox person in my family and my fiancT's family is Catholic.

Thanks in advance,

Phoenix

NULL
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 06:41:18 PM »

Dear Phoenix,

I am assuming that you are Eastern Orthodox and not Oriental; please let me know if you are an Oriental Orthodox: we are not many here.  Smiley

Anyway, I don't know much about the EO ceremony myself, but the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese has a great website with a lot of information, and among all the good stuff they have is a video on Marriage, with some "highlights" of the ceremony, as I remember.  If you have RealPlayer, you can click on http://realserver.goarch.org/ram/en/holy_matrimony.ram and you can watch the video.  

Hope this helps.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 08:13:05 PM »

I just converted to Orthodoxy a few years ago, and have not been able to see an Orthodox wedding.  However, I'm planning one and would like to know if bridesmaids, ringbearers, flowergirls are allowed.  I am the only Orthodox person in my family and my fiancT's family is Catholic.

Thanks in advance,

Phoenix

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Phoenix, at the OCA parishes to which I have belonged, bridesmaids and ringbearers were allowed.  At my elder daughter's wedding, there was a matron-of-honor, five bridesmaids, a best man, five ushers, a young male ringbearer, and a young female trainbearer.  AFAIK, at least one of the official witnesses (maid-/ matron-of-honor or best man) should be Orthodox, but this requirement should be discussed with the priest who will officiate at the marriage to see if it can be waived.

May you have a beautiful wedding and an even more beautiful married life!

In Christ,
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2002, 01:04:16 AM »

Phoenix

Congrats! As someone who's also getting ready for an Orthodox wedding all I can say is: pay attention! Grin There's a lot of good stuff in Orthodox literature that will help the relationship in the long run if we learn to follow it. Have you begun (or are you going to have) pre-marital counselling? I don't mean to pry, I just think it helps an awful lot. It gives you a chance to not only talk about things you ordinarily might not talk about, but it also gives you a chance to learn about the Orthodox perspective on martyrdom... er.. marriage. Wink I think the specifics (rings bearers and what not) differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Good luck!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: