OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:49:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Orthodoxy a melting pot?  (Read 571 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: April 06, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »

Is Orthodoxy a melting pot?

(Note: There are articles discussing this, e.g. Melting pot of American Orthodox faith, but I'm not so much starting this thread to discuss an article as to learn people's opinions, in general, on this question.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »

Is Orthodoxy a melting pot?

(Note: There are articles discussing this, e.g. Melting pot of American Orthodox faith, but I'm not so much starting this thread to discuss an article as to learn people's opinions, in general, on this question.)

It varies from parish to parish. My parish has a decent mix of cradles and converts all coming from a variety of ethnicities. Another parish I've visited in the general area is more ethnically middle eastern than anything else, even though they do have a subdeacon who I believe might be a convert, but I could be mistaken on that, never asked.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »

How are you defining melting pot here?

Large Marge sent me...
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 12:04:11 PM »

People tend to focus on cultural/ethnic melting pot (cf the article I linked to). That's fine, but personally, I'm a bit more interested in whether Orthodoxy is a melting pot of thought.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »

People tend to focus on cultural/ethnic melting pot (cf the article I linked to). That's fine, but personally, I'm a bit more interested in whether Orthodoxy is a melting pot of thought.

What kind of thought? What game are you playing?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

I would tend to think that each cultural or ethnic group in Orthodoxy brings to it the enculturated thought patterns and processes unique to each group, and thereby enriches Orthodoxy. That, of course, is not unique to Orthodoxy at all.  But I'm not sure whether that's what you mean.  In fact, what *do* you mean?  Are you referring to theological "thought" or some other kind of "thought"?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »

I would say that most Orthodox Christians I have met are pretty thought-provoking and intelligent. I have met more intelligent people in terms of theology and history in the Orthodox Church than I have anywhere else. However, it may be because the OCA is a largely convert Church, so, the converts may be more likely to look into this stuff and be sort of hypderdox.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »

What game are you playing?

Oh dear! My cover has been blown, hasn't it? You've figured out that whenever I ask a question, it's really a ploy to destroy the Orthodox. (Roll eyes dramatically.)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:10 PM »

Hmm... I'm not sure. It does seem like Orthodoxy allows for a lot of opinion, but I'm not sure if there is as much room as Catholicism allows.

Large Marge sent me...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »

What game are you playing?

Oh dear! My cover has been blown, hasn't it? You've figured out that whenever I ask a question, it's really a ploy to destroy the Orthodox. (Roll eyes dramatically.)

What am I supposed to think when you ask ambiguous questions without supplying further explanatory information as to your meaning?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »

Sometimes the Orthodox approach to certain issues reminds me of this scene from Gladiator--as though all you can do is whisper about it. The idea that we can hope that all will be saved is one such example. To be dogmatic, loud, forceful, or even overly-eager about the idea seems improper in Orthodox circles. It can only be whispered about. I hope all are saved, somehow.  But then maybe that's how it should be? Perhaps that's how it has to be? Does this mean that Orthodoxy doesn't allow differing opinions? Does Orthodoxy suppress them? Or does it ask that thing simply be kept in the proper place? I don't know...

Large Marge sent me...
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 03:12:28 PM »

I've known Orthodox to have wide ranging political views, although those on abortion/gay marriage tend to be pretty consistent.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: