OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:48:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At Holy Thursday Mass, pope criticizes dissent from church teachings  (Read 2160 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: April 05, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

Without specifying the country, Pope Benedict said a group of priests from a European nation have issued a call for disobedience of church teaching, specifically regarding the question of women's ordination.

Last year the president of the Austrian bishops' conference, Vienna Cardinal Christoph Schonborn, condemned a "Call to Disobedience," signed by 250 of Austria's 4,200 Catholic priests. The document urged Catholics to begin a campaign in support of women priests and "priestless eucharistic liturgies," as well as for Communion to be given to non-Catholics and remarried divorcees.

Also, 311 theologians from Austria, Germany and Switzerland signed a memorandum last year demanding the ordination of women and married men, as well as an "open dialogue" on the church's "structures of power and communication."

Pope Benedict asked, "Is disobedience a path of renewal for the church?" adding that Blessed John Paul II taught "irrevocably that the church has received no authority from the Lord" to ordain women.

Pope Benedict said perhaps such campaigns are motivated by concern for the church and believe that "the slow pace of institutions has to be overcome by drastic measures, in order to open up new paths and bring the church up-to-date."

"But is disobedience really a way to do this?" the pope asked.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:17:27 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »

this should have an interesting conclusion...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

Don't shoot the messenger, but... Orthodoxy is next  police

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »

The Pope is going to criticize Orthodoxy for dissenting?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

Somehow I don't think he meant that.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »

Cheesy  Haven't the Popes been doing that for over a thousand years?  Grin  

To unpack what I meant though, certainly many Protestant groups have gone through this type of thing. And if Catholics are now having small pockets of it, the Orthodox shouldn't assume that they're immune to it. There are already Orthodox theologians--admittedly few in number at this point--who speak openly about whether the EOC should ordain women. Times they are a changin'.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:58:49 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »

Cheesy  Haven't the Popes been doing that for over a thousand years?  Grin 

To unpack what I meant though, certainly many Protestant groups have gone through this type of thing. And if Catholics are now having small pockets of it, the Orthodox shouldn't assume that they're immune to it. There are already Orthodox theologians--admittedly few in number at this point--who speak openly about whether the EOC should ordain women. Times they are a changin'.

Of course Orthodoxy isn't immune to protestantism--just look at all the various and sundried "Orthodox" Churches *not* in communion with any other Orthodox Church--you know, the "vagantes".

As for ordained women, hopefully I'll be long dead before that happens in either of our Churches!  God forbid it happen at all!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:13:40 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »

I was speaking more about people within the Orthodox Church questioning things. When Met. Kallistos started to say a decade ago that the Orthodox need to talk about this whole women priests stuff, it was not well received by many... but who could argue that Met. Kallistos is some kind of fringe crackpot or crazy vagante? (actually I know who can, and does, argue that... but anyway... Cool )

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 05:21:25 PM »

I was speaking more about people within the Orthodox Church questioning things. When Met. Kallistos started to say a decade ago that the Orthodox need to talk about this whole women priests stuff, it was not well received by many... but who could argue that Met. Kallistos is some kind of fringe crackpot or crazy vagante? (actually I know who can, and does, argue that... but anyway... Cool )

Priests and bishops aren't people in the Orthodox Church  Shocked Shocked?

(Just kidding  Grin!)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »

Cheesy  Haven't the Popes been doing that for over a thousand years?  Grin  

Not over a thousand. Over five hundred I would say -- the Orthodox couldn't really be considered "dissenters" before the Council of Florence.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »

Cheesy  Haven't the Popes been doing that for over a thousand years?  Grin 

Not over a thousand. Over five hundred I would say -- the Orthodox couldn't really be considered "dissenters" before the Council of Florence.

St. Photius is shedding a tear that he doesn't count  Tongue

ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:54:32 AM »

With all due respect to the RCC. I don't think that ignoring these pressing issues will make them go away. I am not saying that they should cave in on them. Just that many of its members feel that there has not been genuine dialogue. I am concerned also that currently that the RCC does not have an effective pastoral plan in place for those of its members that have gone through a divorce. Many feel they need to leave the Church because they feel unwelcomed. Many feel the annulment process is unnecessary, burdensome, and overly legalistic. They feel they are being victimized (just reporting what I have read from people that have gone through it).

I don't see any of these issues going away but without dialogue the calls for these things will only grow, IMO.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »

Of course Orthodoxy isn't immune to protestantism--

I can't see why any religion would think itself immune to any other religion. I'm sure, somewhere in the world, there's a Methodist who has converted to Islam, a Buddhist who's converted to Catholicism, etc.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »

I can't see why any religion would think itself immune to any other religion. I'm sure, somewhere in the world, there's a Methodist who has converted to Islam, a Buddhist who's converted to Catholicism, etc.

Neither can I. 

Wishing you (and all my fellow Catholics here and all other non-Orthodox Christians here) a blessed Good Friday!

And to my Jewish brothers and sisters, חג פסח שמח!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:39:03 AM by J Michael » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »

Neither can I. 

Wishing you (and all my fellow Catholics here and all other non-Orthodox Christians here) a blessed Good Friday!

And to my Jewish brothers and sisters, חג פסח שמח!

Amen and Amen.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »

The Orthodox thankfully have the simplest and best answer. We never did it; we have no need to do it; it causes scandal in the Church of God: therefore, there is no good reason to do it.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »

The Orthodox thankfully have the simplest and best answer. We never did it; we have no need to do it; it causes scandal in the Church of God: therefore, there is no good reason to do it.
I'm pretty sure these are the same reasons our Church gives too.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »

Impossible! I guess we'll have to change our answer now. Tongue

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:34 PM »

Sounds about right. Make sure whatever reason you guys come up with emphasizes how not Latin you are. Tongue
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »

The voice of liberal Catholics is getting louder and louder each year - what will Rome ultimately end up doing?
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »

I can think of at least one prominent Orthodox thinker who supports women's ordination whole-heartedly.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 02:08:27 AM »

Sounds about right. Make sure whatever reason you guys come up with emphasizes how not Latin you are. Tongue

Everyone here knows the Roman Church's answers to this question are significantly more involved than just "we don't do that and there's no need to start doing that".

Not directing this specifically at you, Wyatt, but I am getting a bit tired of the whole "Orthodox Christians are just Roman Catholics who refuse to realise that fact" thing.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:54 AM »

Everyone here knows the Roman Church's answers to this question are significantly more involved than just "we don't do that and there's no need to start doing that".

Not directing this specifically at you, Wyatt, but I am getting a bit tired of the whole "Orthodox Christians are just Roman Catholics who refuse to realise that fact" thing.
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you are getting at.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »

There seems to be a bit of a trend towards saying that the Orthodox Church has all the same doctrines as the Roman Church, except that Orthodox Christians are too stubborn in their hatred of Rome to admit it and so go to great lengths to differentiate their doctrines from the Roman ones, even though they are, at their core, all the same.

I know your initial comment was tongue in cheek, so please don't think the above is aimed directly at you.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 06:21:50 AM »

I can think of at least one prominent Orthodox thinker who supports women's ordination whole-heartedly.

And? Such people are engaging in an exercise in futility. And they certainly do not speak for the Orthodox Church as a whole, any more than the dissident RC clergy referred to in this thread do for the RCC.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »

There seems to be a bit of a trend towards saying that the Orthodox Church has all the same doctrines as the Roman Church, except that Orthodox Christians are too stubborn in their hatred of Rome to admit it and so go to great lengths to differentiate their doctrines from the Roman ones, even though they are, at their core, all the same.

I agree there is such a trend. But I don't think the problem is the mere holding of such opinions, but rather the fact that in most conversations those people tend to be the "heavyweights". (I don't know whether you participate on the same forums that I do. Possibly your experience has been different.)

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »

I know your initial comment was tongue in cheek, so please don't think the above is aimed directly at you.
Ah ok, I got ya now. Are you saying, though, that our Churches have differing reasons for not allowing female ordination? I thought that that was actually something that was essentially the same between us.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »

And? Such people are engaging in an exercise in futility. And they certainly do not speak for the Orthodox Church as a whole, any more than the dissident RC clergy referred to in this thread do for the RCC.
[/quote]

I cant imagine the RCC or the OCC every entertaining this change.   I dont see changes of this sort in the future.  If it should occur there will be schism after schism if either churches choose to ignore Tradition.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:24:07 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »

Ah ok, I got ya now. Are you saying, though, that our Churches have differing reasons for not allowing female ordination? I thought that that was actually something that was essentially the same between us.

As I understand the matter, while our churches agree that the practice of ordaining women is not part of what has been received and that therefore there is no good reason to adopt the practice (alternatively, that we have no authority to do so), it seems to me that the Roman Church has further reasons for not ordaining women -- eg: that the priest acts in persona Christi and must therefore be male, &c. I could be over-stating my case, though.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »

As I understand the matter, while our churches agree that the practice of ordaining women is not part of what has been received and that therefore there is no good reason to adopt the practice (alternatively, that we have no authority to do so), it seems to me that the Roman Church has further reasons for not ordaining women -- eg: that the priest acts in persona Christi and must therefore be male, &c. I could be over-stating my case, though.
The Eastern Orthodox don't believe that the Priest acts in persona Christi? I think that that is certainly one reason why we do not allow female clergy, but the way I have always heard it explained is that the Church doesn't have the authority to change something that Christ established. Christ appointed twelve male Apostles, and the successors to those Apostles, the Bishops, have always been male. Our Church teaches that it doesn't have the ability to modify the priesthood to include women whenever Christ founded His Church upon male leaders.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »

The Eastern Orthodox don't believe that the Priest acts in persona Christi?
I actually actually understood them to be acting in that fashion; it was how I initially heard the EO priest explained to me when I was an inquirer.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »

Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh was at times quite pointed on the matter as well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »

The voice of liberal Catholics is getting louder and louder each year - what will Rome ultimately end up doing?

Give them the pink slip and replace them with fresh new traditional faces.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »

An Orthodox Christian who's converted to Judaism..

Proverbs 22:7
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 12:45:34 AM »

I actually actually understood them to be acting in that fashion; it was how I initially heard the EO priest explained to me when I was an inquirer.

I do not believe this is the universal teaching, but am very much open to correction.

The Roman view that an (explicit) epiklesis is not necessary has always made sense to me in light of their well-developed notion of the priest acting in persona Christi: after all, the Lord did not invoke the Spirit of God at the Mystical Supper but rather blessed the bread and cup and pronounced the words of institution.

The Orthodox insistence upon the presence of an explicit epiklesis seems to suggest the priest is performing a function at the Holy Table different to that understood by the Roman Church to be the case.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »

I do not believe this is the universal teaching, but am very much open to correction.

The Roman view that an (explicit) epiklesis is not necessary has always made sense to me in light of their well-developed notion of the priest acting in persona Christi: after all, the Lord did not invoke the Spirit of God at the Mystical Supper but rather blessed the bread and cup and pronounced the words of institution.

The Orthodox insistence upon the presence of an explicit epiklesis seems to suggest the priest is performing a function at the Holy Table different to that understood by the Roman Church to be the case.

The person that explain it to me could very well be wrong. I honestly can't even remember who it was at this point. And I'll admit that I know next to nothing about the topic.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 05:24:45 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, Met. Kallistos agrees with you; he says that the priestacts in persona ecclesia.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »

Now *that's* an interesting switch!  Are you referring to a real situation or are you speaking hypothetically?  If a real situation, I'd be really interested to hear more!  Feel free to p.m. me if you don't want to discuss it publicly.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »

Now *that's* an interesting switch!  Are you referring to a real situation or are you speaking hypothetically?  If a real situation, I'd be really interested to hear more!  Feel free to p.m. me if you don't want to discuss it publicly.

Tallitot is writing self-referentially.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:00:46 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »

Now *that's* an interesting switch!  Are you referring to a real situation or are you speaking hypothetically?  If a real situation, I'd be really interested to hear more!  Feel free to p.m. me if you don't want to discuss it publicly.

Tallitot is writing self-referentially.

I thought that might be the case, but wanted to leave it open to him to say so, rather than me "stepping in it", as I'm often wont to do  Grin.

I'd love to hear/read his story!

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »

Major Catholic newspaper writes editorial in support of women's ordination:

"The call to the priesthood is a gift from God. It is rooted in baptism and is called forth and affirmed by the community because it is authentic and evident in the person as a charism. Catholic women who have discerned a call to the priesthood and have had that call affirmed by the community should be ordained in the Roman Catholic church. Barring women from ordination to the priesthood is an injustice that cannot be allowed to stand...."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:36:23 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »

"The call to the priesthood is a gift from God. It is rooted in baptism and is called forth and affirmed by the community because it is authentic and evident in the person as a charism. Catholic women who have discerned a call to the priesthood and have had that call affirmed by the community should be ordained in the Roman Catholic church. Barring women from ordination to the priesthood is an injustice that cannot be allowed to stand...."

Sad that today we value equality so much but have a completely wrong notion for it.  We think that the only way to achieve equality is homogeneity in roles and abilities.  Society thinks that denial of access to something or to a role is discrimination.  We have lost the sense that dignity is not dependent on the roles a person plays in life.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »

That's been going on for a long time already.
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: I agree with the Church
Jurisdiction: Huh

St. Leo III, Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:16 AM »

That "Catholic" newspaper is notorious for its liberalism...Just sayin'.

Anyway, the RCC has already said it has no authority to ordain women as priests, in so many words, in what would certainly appear to be an ex cathedra statement from Pope John Paul II, in the Apostolic Letter "Ordinatio Sacerdoralis" http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.

Now what's really interesting is it doesn't just say "ordination" but "priestly ordination"...hmmm.

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »

That "Catholic" newspaper is notorious for its liberalism...Just sayin'.

Anyway, the RCC has already said it has no authority to ordain women as priests, in so many words, in what would certainly appear to be an ex cathedra statement from Pope John Paul II, in the Apostolic Letter "Ordinatio Sacerdoralis" http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.

Now what's really interesting is it doesn't just say "ordination" but "priestly ordination"...hmmm.

Given that the ancient Church used to ordain deaconesses to assist with the baptism of female converts, etc. I suppose that it isn't out of the question that it could resume the practice.  Not quite sure how I feel about that--but then, my opinion about these things is not usually solicited by the powers that be in the Church  Wink.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: