OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:09:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paschal Troparion in Sicilian  (Read 1731 times) Average Rating: 0
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« on: April 05, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »

Ciao a tutti! I was wondering, seeing as I'm Sicilian and rather patriotic of that fact, if anyone has knowledge of the paschal troparion in Sicilian?

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
Priolo Gargallo

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »

Nessunu?  Huh

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »

if you know the sicillian dialect, why not translate it? it's not that hard.
Priolo Gargallo

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:32 PM »

I don't speak the language, it's (due to current dayItalian imperialism) not a language one may study from a book.

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »

I don't speak the language, it's (due to current dayItalian imperialism) not a language one may study from a book.
Will this help? or at least encourage you?
Priolo Gargallo

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »

Thank you very much for the link, Im going to try to translate it right now!

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »

I'm Sicilian and rather patriotic of that fact

I don't speak the language.

Logical, of course. 
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:37:12 AM »

Logical, of course. 

But then again I've yet to see logical/rational Patriotism.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 07:22:41 AM »

Logical, of course. 

One of my friends likened it to being proud that you were born on Tuesday and hating people born on Wednesday. 
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »

Logical, of course. 

Patriotism or nationalism?

I for one am proud to be American and don't particularly care if people find that illogical.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:12:10 AM »

Logical, of course. 

Both.

I for one am proud to be American and don't particularly care if people find that illogical.

Good for you.

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »

I'm proud to be a Pennsylvanian! Or Southwest and southwestcentral PA... well, anything in PA west of Interstate 99 and south of Butler...  what does this make me?  A partial-statist?  Smiley

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »

I'm proud to be a Pennsylvanian! Or Southwest and southwestcentral PA... well, anything in PA west of Interstate 99 and south of Butler...  what does this make me?  A partial-statist?  Smiley

AND just WHAT is wrong with NePA? Most of us here 'north' of the PA border are former NEPA's whose ancestors escaped the mines!  Wink NePA has the best kolbasa!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:26:19 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »

I'm proud to be a Pennsylvanian! Or Southwest and southwestcentral PA... well, anything in PA west of Interstate 99 and south of Butler...  what does this make me?  A partial-statist?  Smiley

AND just WHAT is wrong with NePA? Most of us here 'north' of the PA border are former NEPA's whose ancestors escaped the mines!  Wink NePA has the best kolbasa!

You're near(er) to Philadelphia.  That's crime enough.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »

Logical, of course. 

Both.

That's a shame.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »

Christ is risen!

Logical, of course. 

One of my friends likened it to being proud that you were born on Tuesday and hating people born on Wednesday. 
Does he hate his mother too?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »

Christ is risen!

Logical, of course. 

People usually know their mothers. Most don't know all of their fellow citizens. I haven't many all Finns and you haven't met all Americans or Arabs. That's the absurdity of Patriotism and Nationalism. People identifying with non-existing community.

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »

Hmm, well I don't rightly know Smiley Never been to NE PA, or to the wrong eastern side of the state at all really. I went to a Megadeth concert in Hershey one time, that was cool. I visited Gettysburg a couple times of course. And I went to a Promise Keepers event in Philly when I was a Protestant. Is that enough data, and of the proper quality, to formulate a view of Eastern PA?  Grin

EDIT--Oh, I forgot, I once spent some time in the middle of the night at the Philly bus station on my way to CT. That back alley I spent a half hour staring at was one of the more scenic back alleys I've seen.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:13:44 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 01:42:10 AM »

Christ is risen!

Logical, of course. 

People usually know their mothers. Most don't know all of their fellow citizens. I haven't many all Finns and you haven't met all Americans or Arabs. That's the absurdity of Patriotism and Nationalism. People identifying with non-existing community.
Going abroad usually brings home how well you know your countrymen, and coming across one among all the foreignors in foreign lands usually identifies the existence of your community.  I don't need to know all Arabs nor Americans any more than I have to know all my second and third cousins: when we have met, it was automatically in evidence that we are family.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 01:53:30 AM »

Going abroad usually brings home how well you know your countrymen, and coming across one among all the foreignors in foreign lands usually identifies the existence of your community.  

Only in people's heads. Hence the idea of imagined communities.

I don't need to know all Arabs nor Americans any more than I have to know all my second and third cousins: when we have met, it was automatically in evidence that we are family.

Well with family it's a little different since there's the genetic connection which isn't the case with many countries. And of course family is so small slace community that one can at least assume to have same kind of manners etc. with them. Maybe same could be applied to small villages and other kind of small communities. But not with the countries, ethnicities, nationalities etc.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:54:44 AM by Alpo » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 04:33:21 AM »

Going abroad usually brings home how well you know your countrymen, and coming across one among all the foreignors in foreign lands usually identifies the existence of your community.  I don't need to know all Arabs nor Americans any more than I have to know all my second and third cousins: when we have met, it was automatically in evidence that we are family.

I've found the opposite to be the case in my last four years or so of living abroad.  Lesson time.  Will finish my thoughts later...
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 02:55:29 AM »

I've found the opposite to be the case in my last four years or so of living abroad.  Lesson time.  Will finish my thoughts later...

My encounters have been different.  Gone are the days of significant language barriers.   Nearly every European engaged in travel (except those from Northern England and Scotland) speak English more or less fluently.  In China any European / American foreigner immediately bond.  But I found nationality had little meaning in terms of actual friendships.  I have far more in common with the typical person from a big city from pretty much anywhere in the West than say an American from the South.  Most of the Americans I meet in Ukraine are disgusting, bumbling idiots - I feel no bond based on nationality.  I don't immediately feel like I'm some sort of extended family.  When I visit Poland, I'm certainly not Polish.  From the moment I enter the country, the border guard has always commented on my Polish name and didn't even bother speaking to me in English despite my US passport.  But when I respond in my poor Polish that has a heavy Russian accent (not sure how the happened!) they realize that I'm not really Polish in the same sense as they are.  I toggle between three national identities: US (was born there, raised there), Polish-American (via my grandparents) and Ukrainian (where I live and will be living for the foreseeable future via my wife).  Nationality has very little to do with any of my relationships or self identity.  Other factors such as social class, education, language, world-view have been far more important.  Case in point: I got stuck with two foreigners next to me last time I was on a train.   A plump old American on his way to meet his mail-order bride.  I told him I hoped he had a slow, painful death and burned in hell.   The conversation kind of died after that.  Just didn't feel the connection.  The other foreigner was Dutch.  He had a pleasant conversation for six hours as we had the same interests.  He really wanted to learn some Ukrainian so my wife was happy to teach him some useful travel phrases.  Over the next few days we kept running into him, so each time we helped him buy tickets or other such things.  Feeling a common bond with people really has nothing to do with nationality.  Nationalism is just a failed 19th-century idea.       
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »

Well said Nektarios.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »

Agreed. VERY well said.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »

Well said Nektarios.

I don't get it. Didn't you used to self-identify as a "philestist" in your faith tag?

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »

So there's no paschal troparion in Sicilian?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Priolo Gargallo

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »

No, but I've been really busy,so I'm going to translate it my self… eventually

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: