OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The stereotypical dreaded question  (Read 1114 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: April 05, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »

We have all heard the whole dating another Orthodox person is easier in the long run speel. And I honestly agree. But at the same time for us converts (which as of 2 weeks ago I can officially call my an Orthodox convert) we all know at times dating outside Orthodoxy is more realistic. What are some things those of you who have gone through this before, recommend bringing up to the other person before dating pertaining to Orthodoxy?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

We have all heard the whole dating another Orthodox person is easier in the long run speel. And I honestly agree. But at the same time for us converts (which as of 2 weeks ago I can officially call my an Orthodox convert) we all know at times dating outside Orthodoxy is more realistic. What are some things those of you who have gone through this before, recommend bringing up to the other person before dating pertaining to Orthodoxy?

That you WILL get married in an Orthodox church and your kids WILL BE baptized in your church - on the first date.  Shocked

Seriously, I don't know, I have only dated one girl since becoming Orthodox, and that didn't last long enough to go anywhere. I would probably start by defending it as being Christian by belief in the Trinity, incarnation, what's in the creed, and Peter's confession of Jesus as the Christ and the Son of the Living God. Then maybe mention that it is different than what she is used to and talk about the historical roots of the Church. I wouldn't mention anything about fasting until it became absolutely necessary, probably just find an excuse on fasting days to eat according to the rules when we go out and I cook, and eat no more than what is prepared for me when she cooks - no matter what she cooks. I probably wouldn't go into any more detail than that until she takes enough of an interest to attend church with me sometime and then deal with issues as the come up.

It's something I've put a little thought into how I would go about doing, especially since I'm 30 and the only available "women" in my parish are 18-19-20 year old college students.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »

Show her that you are serious about your faith and that it's an important part of your life. Wait for her to ask to come to church with you (which she most likely will if you continue to date her for a period of time). I would avoid any/all debates. Answer all questions pertaining to the faith with patience, humility, kindness, and gratitude.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »

It's something I've put a little thought into how I would go about doing, especially since I'm 30 and the only available "women" in my parish are 18-19-20 year old college students.

Sounds good to me!!!
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »

Depends on your age. To be honest, I'm only sixteen and I do not have this problem. Chances are that I'm not going to end up marrying any of the girls I date in my teens, so, I do not think it matters if I bring up my religion or not. As to when I'm a bit older and marriage is a possibility, I'm not sure what I'll do. But hopefully I'll marry an Orthodox woman.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:03:48 PM by JamesR » Logged

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »

Sounds good to me!!!

lol ya, i don't see the problem here... Wink
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

What?!?  Date someone who is non-Orthodox?  Why waste your time?  Wink

On the serious side...if you are serious about your Faith...then it truly is best to find a spouse who shares that Faith with you....better for the two of you and better for the kids.

This celebrating two Easters, two Christmases, fasting, not fasting, ..... it just opens up more possibilities for discord within the family unit.

I know....believe me I KNOW....it's hard to find an Orthodox spouse.  Did I mention...I know?

However, watching those around me marry outside the Church....and watching all the issues they encounter....it's just not worth it.

Again, I know that marrying an Orthodox person does NOT guarantee familial bliss....however, it is one less reason over which to argue.  We have our Traditions and traditions...and both seem odd to the non-believer.  To me, my faith is priority one....and if my spouse, no matter how much I loved him, even hinted at ridiculing or belittling Orthodoxy, it would just kill me.  I would be torn between the two.

I'm just saying....IF you can, try to find someone within Orthodoxy to settle down with.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »

I think if i seriously dated someone outside of the church, i would set a line in the sand that if we get serious (married) she will eventually have to come over with me Smiley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:22:00 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:03 PM »

then again, depending on the church you get married in, your spouse would need to be Orthodox to be married to the,(as is the case with my ROCOR parish)
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »

That you WILL get married in an Orthodox church and your kids WILL BE baptized in your church - on the first date.  Shocked
Shocked

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
acts420
Elder

Faith: the Way
Jurisdiction: Jesus the Anointed One

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »

The reality in most of the places I've lived is that most girls, by far, don't even know what orthodox Christianity is.  When I've dated, I've tried to find out how "close" they are.  Most have heard of God, of Christ, and of some of His teachings.  So I'll ask about things like belief in God, in Christ's resurrection, and the role love for others should play in our lives.  If there are too few shared beliefs and practices, then I don't even see the point of dating.  I could marry a non-orthodox girl in the right situation, I think.  It would be far from ideal though, and there would have to be a certain minimum of shared faith and practice regarding God and righteous living.  For instance, I'm just not going to marry and risk having kids with an atheist who will be fighting my attempts to teach the faith in God to our children.  I'm not going to marry a girl who thinks giving to the poor is a waste.  If a girl doesn't even have the bare minimum, and if she isn't showing interest in progressing toward the Way, then I see no reason to grow close to her and set us both up for a potential heartbreak in the future.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:33:09 AM by acts420 » Logged

In Christ,
Jason
www.acts420.com
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:32:42 AM »

Yuns guys are doing it wrong. World views are malleable, looks are not. Find someone you're attracted to, and then negotiate which religion/philosophy you can mutually agree to.  police
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »

Yuns guys are doing it wrong. World views are malleable, looks are not. Find someone you're attracted to, and then negotiate which religion/philosophy you can mutually agree to.  police
I prefer the method of swinging a 99 knot prayer rope back and forth in front of a girl's face like a hypnotist's watch, while whispering: "you are getting a phronema... you are getting a phronema... when I metanya three times, you will accept the dogmatic declaration of Nicea II!". If she backs away awkwardly, she's a goner. If she scowls and asks why I haven't moved on to 150 knots, I know she's a potential keeper.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:14:27 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 04:52:08 AM »

looks are not malleable!
then something bad happened with mine.
somehow i don't look the same as i did 20 years ago.
thank God my husband digs grey hair...
 Wink
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 01:42:13 AM »

And this is a problem?!?

Just kidding. 25 year old is good 30 is good too. 19-20 year old women nowadays act like 14 year olds typically. Wasnt always the case... If she is a good Orthodox girl, dont count her out. She may age like fine wine. If shes older than you then shell just turn to vinegar...
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 01:44:18 AM »

Sounds good to me!!!

Yes, this answer here....
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:36 AM »

I think I will take a "mentor's" advice and say if she ain't crazy, she should have no problem becoming Orthodoxy. I agree.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 02:21:50 AM »

Show her that you are serious about your faith and that it's an important part of your life. Wait for her to ask to come to church with you (which she most likely will if you continue to date her for a period of time). I would avoid any/all debates. Answer all questions pertaining to the faith with patience, humility, kindness, and gratitude.

This is absolutely wonderful advice and almost exactly how I approached things with my wife when we began dating.  The only deviation was that I invited her to church after a few dates rather than wait for her to ask me for permission.  Again, great advice.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »

I think I will take a "mentor's" advice and say if she ain't crazy, she should have no problem becoming Orthodoxy. I agree.

Actually, people (regardless of their sex) choose to convert (or not to convert) for many reasons.  Insinuating that a person who doesn't choose Orthodoxy over all other Christian paths may not have complete control of their mental faculties is an irresponsible statement.   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 02:42:47 AM »

looks are not malleable!
then something bad happened with mine.
somehow i don't look the same as i did 20 years ago.
thank God my husband digs grey hair...
 Wink

I totally dig my wife's graying hair!  But then again, she's a knockout and looks good in anything. 

casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »

...I'd just like to point out I'm a woman and ergo it would be wait for him to ask
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

...I'd just like to point out I'm a woman and ergo it would be wait for him to ask

You a doormat muslim girl or something?
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »

That you WILL get married in an Orthodox church and your kids WILL BE baptized in your church - on the first date.  Shocked

Seriously, I don't know, I have only dated one girl since becoming Orthodox, and that didn't last long enough to go anywhere. I would probably start by defending it as being Christian by belief in the Trinity, incarnation, what's in the creed, and Peter's confession of Jesus as the Christ and the Son of the Living God. Then maybe mention that it is different than what she is used to and talk about the historical roots of the Church. I wouldn't mention anything about fasting until it became absolutely necessary, probably just find an excuse on fasting days to eat according to the rules when we go out and I cook, and eat no more than what is prepared for me when she cooks - no matter what she cooks. I probably wouldn't go into any more detail than that until she takes enough of an interest to attend church with me sometime and then deal with issues as the come up.

Ha.  When I converted I gave up hope of marriage.

Edit:  I should add one of these -- Wink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:31:06 PM by KBN1 » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

The real reason people join monasteries.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 11:03:02 PM »

The real reason people join monasteries.

give me 5 years and i'll be one of em.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »

I am speaking from no personal experience.  I won't be getting married, so I don't really date...

We should know someone as a friend before dating them.  If they know you, they should know that your serious enough about your faith to be on a forum about the topic!   Wink

My old priest suggested taking our possible future spouses to Church with us.  He took his dates to services, including his chrismation and forgiveness vespers, which I really wouldn't recommend, as it would just weird them out.  He ended up meeting his wife at seminary.  He was newly enrolled, and she was visiting a relative.  You could always try that, I suppose...

Just take your time when dating and all.  Make your intentions clear from the beginning, and there will be no surprises.  But be open to your partner's imput.  If what Church to baptize your children in is that much of an issue with you both, than it's just not meant to be.

Talk to a priest about this!!!

I've found this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orthodox-Christian-Singles/266833854444

This book was written by an Orthodox Christian, and is from the viewpoint of an single Orthodox Christian on dating:
http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Help-Single-Christian-Navigating/dp/1928653405

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: