OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:02:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Pascha bombs': one of the more startling traditions on the horizon  (Read 447 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

Last year at Pascha, a scare came about after some calls to the police, over objects on a roof in Tarpon Springs, Florida. These items turned out to be 'Pascha bombs,' fireworks-like devices. Services at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral and other area churches proceeded as normal, but the nuisance of the explosives may be seen in the area again.

From the article:
Even so, the ear blast is never enough for the most competitive bombmakers. Cpl. Scott Brockew, a Tarpon Springs police detective and Pinellas County's only bomb technician, once confiscated a homemade explosive about the size of a watermelon.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »

We too, as children, used to improvise little cannons using calcium carbide all throughout the paschal triduum . They produced a very loud noise.
The noise used to be that loud on the church's courtyard on Thursday and Friday evenings that the sacristan would constantly have to go out yell at the children to stop snapping all those sorts of petards.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »

Setting off fireworks on Pascha is normal in many traditional countries, as well as several places in the US.   
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »

Okay so you want fireworks, well watch this.  The beautiful two hundred twenty year old church  shooting off  the rockets is shown at the end of the video.  It is my mothers family parish and it's quite famous because of this rocket war.  As you can see the style is more Western than Byzantine.  Originally it was a Catholic church...courtesy of its Genovese  heritage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwYrPhLBvz8&feature=related
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »

While Pascha 'bombs' and fireworks can be fun if well-made and used carefully, sometimes they're not, as was found out again in Tarpon Springs, Florida.

From the article:
Joe Young lives directly across from the bar in an upstairs apartment. Thankfully he wasn't home on Saturday night. His living room and bedroom are directly in the blast’s radius of damage.

“Shards of glass over my bed, all the furniture was moved chairs knocked over,” Young said of his residence. “I imagine I would’ve gotten hurt pretty bad [if I had been home.]”

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: Pascha  Tarpon Springs  Florida  Greek Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: