OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:41:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festal, Great Vespers  (Read 433 times) Average Rating: 0
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »

Hello, I'm curious as to how long great festal vespers for the evening before palm sunday at a typical OCA parish may be? Thanks in advance,
Priolo  laugh

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

Hello, I'm curious as to how long great festal vespers for the evening before palm sunday at a typical OCA parish may be? Thanks in advance,
Priolo  laugh

I don't know. In ACROD about an hour or so.

However, I am curious and this is as good a place to ask - not of the OP but of all of you. In your personal parish experience, what sort of crowd do you have at such Vespers - not Holy Week or even the Nativity - but in general? A percentage of your congregation and the Diocese of you parish would be helpful.

Sadly, we have a handful and as far as I can recall, that has been the case. Our Liturgy will be packed on Palm Sunday as will most of the main Holy Week services, but not Vespers on a Saturday night - even for a big feast like Flowery Sunday ( квітковий неділю, Kvetnatá Nedeľu )as we Slavs called it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:52:41 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »

Priolo  laugh

I don't know. In ACROD about an hour or so.

However, I am curious and this is as good a place to ask - not of the OP but of all of you. In your personal parish experience, what sort of crowd do you have at such Vespers - not Holy Week or even the Nativity - but in general? A percentage of your congregation and the Diocese of you parish would be helpful.

Sadly, we have a handful and as far as I can recall, that has been the case. Our Liturgy will be packed on Palm Sunday as will most of the main Holy Week services, but not Vespers on a Saturday night - even for a big feast like Flowery Sunday ( квітковий неділю, Kvetnatá Nedeľu )as we Slavs called it.

At my OCA parish, IIRC, it's about an hour.

As for attendance at "regular" Vespers, it's usually about five or six, although at times it's been just me and the priest and sometimes swelled to about a dozen.  Sadly, in the past year we lost three regular attendees when they moved away, which was extra sad for me because they were my age (generally speaking..I'm a bit older but am young at heart) and we all shared similar interests.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »

Priolo  laugh

If it is just Vespers then 45 to 60 minutes, depending on the pace of the music.  Most OCA parishes do a Vigil style service which would run about 2 to 2.5 hours.

On a typical Saturday night we get about 20-25 from a parish of 800 where on Sundays we average around 500. For major feast Great Vespers will be anywhere from 25-200. Last Palm Sunday I think we had around 100.

Joseph
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:39:51 PM »

My parish serves Vigil on Saturday nights, and will serve Vigil for Palm Sunday tomorrow. For a regular Lord's Day Vigil, we'll have 20-30 folks, and around 100 for Liturgy that Sunday. I expect it to be about the same for the Palm Sunday cycle.

For Great Feasts that fall during the week, the Vigil will usually have something like 10 folks, maybe, and the Liturgy may get up to around 20 or so. Also, if it's just Great Vespers and not a full Vigil, it should be about 45 minutes. Maybe more like an hour if there's a Litia.

OCA - Diocese of the South.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »

My parish, as probably the vast majority slaviam churches, serves the Vigil every Saturday. The lenth of it differs every time (from one hour ten minutes to 2 hours). There are more or less 15-20 people (including the choir), which is very few; in the Great Lent the attendance was much higher. For the Palm Sunday we have also the Vigil, which lasts about 2-2.5 hours and as I can notice from the last years there come really many people (the church is full), similary as for the usual Sunday Liturgy (we have 2 Liturgies on Sundays).

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: