OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:43:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which church is more open to reuniting??  (Read 14606 times) Average Rating: 0
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #720 on: April 22, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »

Χριστος ανεστη.

I have been away for a few days, and now I am lost...!

What happened here  Huh
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:12:56 PM by JR » Logged

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #721 on: April 22, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »

What happened here  Huh

You don't want to know.   Cry Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #722 on: April 22, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »

Χριστος ανεστη.

What happened here  Huh

That which happens to all too many threads on this forum, I'm afraid.  Sad

But...be of good cheer...

Christ is Risen!!!!!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #723 on: April 22, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »

I genuinely don't get it. You're told that only people who consciously reject Orthodoxy are heretics or apostates (a la reply 702) but then when you use those terms in that context to make a theological point you're somehow still using them wrong. Weird how that works.  Huh

On topic: looks like Orthodoxy is pretty open to reuniting if you can now leave her without consequence.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:33:01 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #724 on: April 22, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

I genuinely don't get it. You're told that only people who consciously reject Orthodoxy are heretics or apostates (a la reply 702) but then when you use those terms in that context to make a theological point you're somehow still using them wrong. Weird how that works.  Huh

On topic: looks like Orthodoxy is pretty open to reuniting if you can now leave her without consequence.

Depends on where you are "looking" from.

What is there we do in this life that is "without consequence"?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #725 on: April 22, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »

I've never heard of such a situation.  Huh

Can an ex-Orthodox Christian still receive communion? If they can't, then that sounds like a "consequence" to me.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #726 on: April 22, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »

Can an ex-Orthodox Christian still receive communion? If they can't, then that sounds like a "consequence" to me.

I suppose it depends on a number of factors, including what is meant by "ex-Orthodox". Are we talking about someone who just stops going for a year and then shows up on Easter? In that case I don't know. If we're talking about someone that specifically makes a decision to leave the Church, then I would hope they'd have enough integrity to go through a process of reconciliation, though I don't know how individual priests might handle it.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #727 on: April 22, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »

I suppose it depends on a number of factors, including what is meant by "ex-Orthodox". Are we talking about someone who just stops going for a year and then shows up on Easter? In that case I don't know. If we're talking about someone that specifically makes a decision to leave the Church, then I would hope they'd have enough integrity to go through a process of reconciliation, though I don't know how individual priests might handle it.

I was thinking of the latter. (For the former I would tend to say lapsed rather than ex.)

Not trying to change the subject, but I recall one or more ex-Catholic posters who still expected to be allowed to receive communion from Catholic ministers (I don't recall what thread this was on, or even whether it was on OCnet or a different forum).

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #728 on: April 22, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »

This personal back-and-forth between you two is what I had in mind when I posted my "Knock it off!" warning a few posts ago. Any more of this, and you'll both receive a Green Dot for driving this thread off topic.
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #729 on: April 23, 2012, 03:43:07 AM »

It seems to of crashed and burned 3 or 4 pages back, Way off track!

This personal back-and-forth between you two is what I had in mind when I posted my "Knock it off!" warning a few posts ago. Any more of this, and you'll both receive a Green Dot for driving this thread off topic.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #730 on: April 23, 2012, 08:16:53 AM »

It seems to of crashed and burned 3 or 4 pages back, Way off track!

In terms of going back to an earlier point in this thread, I wonder if anyone has any more to say on the discussion about 1204 etc.

What then would you give as the exact date of the East West Schism?

In the strong sense of the word schism, I would have to say not until the Council of Florence.

I'd say more around 1204 when your kind invaded and sacked Constantinople; there are still Greeks I know to this day who have not gotten over that.

Yeah you're right; both sides screwed up big time. Either way, those events did sort of set the schism in stone though. I remember reading that prior to these events, most people were not even aware of the schism.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: