OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:37:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monotheisms  (Read 353 times) Average Rating: 0
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: April 02, 2012, 08:11:21 AM »

I was wondering the other day: is there any real difference between the Jewish and Islamic concepts of God?

Of course, they don't accept the Persons of the Trinity as we do but is there a concept of Personhood in God (e.g. the Father only) or do they only conceive of his essence and, if so, do they mean approximately the same thing by God's essence as we do?

When we refer to the three monotheisms as worshipping the same God do we really do so as far as ousia is concerned? Is there any agreement as far as hypostasis is concerned?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the Muslim God is so transcendent that He had to send angels to speak to Muhammad.  On the other hand, the Jewish God, our God, spoke to Abraham and to Isaac and to Jacob and to Moses.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »

What confuses me is how the Jews believe in the "many parts of God", that exist in the same God.  1 Samuel 16:14 for example.
They are considered Monotheists.

We have 3 parts of God that skip over the "many parts of God".   We have the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Unless of course we consider the "many parts of God" from a Jewish standpoint to equate to the entire trinity.  So the entire trinity would have to have several parts as well.

3=1 1=many 3=many

I've stopped trying to understand it fully because I just won't ever solve the issue in my brain.   I understand the Trinity more, and think of God as love.  Love have many different parts... Love for a spouse, brother, parent, children, relatives, congregation, are all different, yet is all love.

I don't know how else to see it.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the Muslim God is so transcendent that He had to send angels to speak to Muhammad.  On the other hand, the Jewish God, our God, spoke to Abraham and to Isaac and to Jacob and to Moses.

Muslims also believe their God is the God of Abraham.  :S  Same as the God of the Jews but believe the Jews have it wrong.
Also they believe in Jesus, as a prophet.  It's actually an interesting and bizarre read, as they infant of Christ started ministering/talking to people. LOL
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:36:04 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the Muslim God is so transcendent that He had to send angels to speak to Muhammad.  On the other hand, the Jewish God, our God, spoke to Abraham and to Isaac and to Jacob and to Moses.

Muslims also believe their God is the God of Abraham.  :S  Same as the God of the Jews but believe the Jews have it wrong.
Also they believe in Jesus, as a prophet.  It's actually an interesting and bizarre read, as they infant of Christ started ministering/talking to people. LOL

"The following are the words to a typical Muslim prayer:

Opening recitation: Al Fatiha
In the Name of God the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
The Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds
Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Master of the Day of Judgment
You alone do we worship,
And it id Your aid we seek
Guide us unto the straight path,
The path of those upon You have bestowed Your grace,
And not the path of those who have gained Your anger,
Nor have gone astray... Amen.

Then the worshipper says "God is Most Great" and goes into the bowing position and says three times
"Glorified is my Lord the Most Great".

Then he returns to the standing position and says "God listens to those who praise Him. My Lord, all praises are truly unto You."

He then would go into the position of prostration and with his forehead on the ground say "Glorified is my Lord the Most High" three times. He would then sit back and say "My Lord forgive me and have mercy on me" and then go back into the prostrating position once more.

Concluding the prayer, the Muslim utters these final words of the prayer:

All salutation, all physical prayer and
momentary worship are for God.
Peace be upon you, O' Prophet,
and God's mercy and blessings be upon you.
Peace be on us and on all righteous servants of God.
I bear witness that no one is worthy of worship except God
And I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

O' God, send grace and honor on Muhammad and
On the family and true followers of Muhammad
just as you sent Grace and Hon our on Abraham
and on the family and true followers of Abraham
Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great.

O' God, send your blessing on Muhammad and
the true followers of Muhammad, just
as you sent blessings on Abraham
and his true followers
Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great."

http://www.islamuncovered.com/info/themuslimsprayer.htm

Other than the bit about Muhammad, these prayers could easily be mistaken for a jewish/christian prayer. The triple repetition struck me especially.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: