OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:06:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biritualism  (Read 631 times) Average Rating: 0
Caelestinus

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: April 01, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »

Do you think its a good thing that there are priests celebration in Byzantin as well as in Western Rite?

I am wondering when I see Vicar Bishop Jerome Shaw in a modernist (post Vatican II, that means a soutan shaped according the papal Instruction Ut sive sollicite from 1969). (By the way, it doesn't fit; the mitre neither.)

My opinion: An orthodox bishop and monk (cf. can. 16 of Nicea II) shouldn't wear this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »

Do you think its a good thing that there are priests celebration in Byzantin as well as in Western Rite?

I am wondering when I see Vicar Bishop Jerome Shaw in a modernist (post Vatican II, that means a soutan shaped according the papal Instruction Ut sive sollicite from 1969). (By the way, it doesn't fit; the mitre neither.)

My opinion: An orthodox bishop and monk (cf. can. 16 of Nicea II) shouldn't wear this.

You can't pontificate about Western Rite Orthodoxy unless you're Orthodox. It's in the canons.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »

Not sure how you applying Canon 16 of Nicea II, which speaks of showy clothes.  The Western cassock and Old Rite Cassock are strikingly similar and not any more showy thatn cassok and riassa.  And if we speak of clothes made of silk or with colored ornaments how do you excuse the mantiya?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »

For practicality it is necessary that all WR clergy are bi-ritual. There is no WR ordination service so all the clergy are ordained with Byzantine vestments in Byzantine liturgies. Also, in order for WR clergy to fully participate with the rest of the Orthodox world they need to be familiar with the Byzantine services.

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »

And how does Canon 16 of Nicea II apply here?

Joseph
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »

It looks like Armenians aren't the only one group whose hats can be discussed about.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »

Why not? It just solidifies the fact that as Orthodox, it does not matter what your rite is, but what your faith is.

Personally, I love the western rite, but when I go to visit my brother in Tennessee, I'll be going to a ER parish in Nashville.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: