OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:08:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which River do Former Lutherans Swim Most Often?  (Read 2627 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »

What about wading in the James River? Or is that only for baptists........

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »

As a erstwhile Methodist, I suppose you could say I swam the Savannah River, or maybe the Thames (though that might be more for Anglicans).

Now, I'm making my way for what appears to be the Orontes River and Antioch, though circumstances may require I change my affiliation. (Nearest church to my university is Greek, but it's an hour away, not easy for a college student to do. Who knows what the nearest church to whatever place I do my doctoral studies in will be).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:41:00 PM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »

It is well translated, has the psalms included along with the Gregorian notation for singing them

Awesome. I didn't know there are still some Lutherans who have preserved Gregorian tradition.

To expand on this more, the book has the Compline in three languages: English, German and Latin.  There are some circles here that are trying to get the Lutheran services closer to their original roots, which was a modified Mass.  Recordings that I have of "historically informed" music from the 1600's still have the Lutheran Masses sung in a mixture of Latin and German, with the fixed parts of the Mass being in Latin and the hymns being in German.  The Creed is sung as it is in the Russian Orthodox parishes that I have visited.  The singing is mixed between the Choir and the congregation, as I believe that it should be.

Just as Paul lamented for the Jews and wished for them to become one with the Church, so do I lament for the land of my birth.  I long for the day that I can sing the German hymns in a German cathedral with a German Bishop officiating, who is in communion with Moscow.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 05:29:11 AM »

I long for the day that I can sing the German hymns in a German cathedral with a German Bishop officiating, who is in communion with Moscow.

Like this one?

Bishop Mark (Arndt) of Berlin and all Germany (ROCOR).
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »

I long for the day that I can sing the German hymns in a German cathedral with a German Bishop officiating, who is in communion with Moscow.

Why Moscow?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »

Like this one?

Who sings Russian hymns in Church Slavonic and serves Russian rite in Russian churches.

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »

Pretty much this.  Plus, I don't think +Mark's background was Lutheran.  I had heard that he was RC.

Like this one?

Who sings Russian hymns in Church Slavonic and serves Russian rite in Russian churches.

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »

Why Moscow?

Why not?  The Patriarch of Moscow was Orthodox last time I checked.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »

Pretty much this.  Plus, I don't think +Mark's background was Lutheran.  I had heard that he was RC.
While I do not have any definite source that he was Lutheran, he was born in Chemintz, Saxony (Saxony used to be Lutheran before communism), and he is a descendant of 16th century Lutheran theologian Johann Arndt, according to this link:
http://www.sobor.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=81&lang=de
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »

Oh yes. So were Matthew, Luke, and John. Smiley

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »

Peter J wrote "Oh yes. So were Matthew, Luke, and John. Smiley"

Actually Peter J, they were Catholic at the time there was no schism between RC and OC. Remember this is an Orthodox Convert Issues Forum, not a Roman Catholic Convert Issues Forum, those exist in the many Roman Catholic blogs and websites.

Wishing you well and I hope you are have a good Holy Week and will enjoy your church's Easter Mass this Sunday.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:09:04 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Ivanov

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »

I was a Lutheran for just "long enough" (a veiled reference to brevity) along the Way. Though now converting to the Ancient & Orthodox Church, I went through Rome and entirely overextended my stay  Wink If memory serves me, the Tiber was noticeably down, so I stood there in mud waiting for the rainy season of the "New Springtime" which never seemed to come! Presently, course corrected (TBTG), I remain transfixed in THE River (Rev. 22:1,2)! I am thankful for the beginning of understanding of Jesus' Sacred Flesh and Precious Blood in Holy Communion that I received in the Lutheran parish we attended... and the great kindness and helpfulness of the Lutheran Pastor there.

May God bless you overwhelmingly,

I.

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
Ivanov

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »

ALPO makes me laugh... really laugh laugh That's a good thing!

God is so Good!  Alleluia!

I.

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »

I recently talked to an ex-Lutheran Pastor at my Church who had converted to Orthodoxy and was writing articles against the Lutheran Church. He told me that his biggest issue was all of the corruption and lack of ecclesiology (sp?) in Protestant Churches and the fact that they kept becoming more and more schismatic.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »

I recently talked to an ex-Lutheran Pastor at my Church who had converted to Orthodoxy and was writing articles against the Lutheran Church. He told me that his biggest issue was all of the corruption and lack of ecclesiology (sp?) in Protestant Churches and the fact that they kept becoming more and more schismatic.

Well, two out of three are an improvement, I guess.  Has he been Orthodox long?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: