OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:27:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So My Brother is Taking an Interest in Orthodoxy  (Read 374 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 30, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »

So, lately my younger brother who's only nine years old is taking an interest in Orthodoxy, and, I have to say, I really admire his perseverence for being a little guy. Even with our mother slightly trying to talk him out of it, he still remains firm. To be honest, I do not even think he knows the difference between Orthodoxy and 'non-denominationalism' other than the externals. But, I think that the externals are really drawing him to Orthodoxy. For example, my brother asked me if he could come to me to Liturgy this Sunday, and our mother, while not entirely stopping him but trying to convince him not to, said 'don't you want to come with me and daddy to Church?' and he responded with a resounding 'NO!' and when she had told him that she was going to make him come with her every once in a while, he seemed very disappointed and responded with an upset moan. For some reason I started laughing under my breath, because even a small child was being drawn to the truth and was disappointed by going to a 'non-denominational' mainline Church. Anyway, enough blogging. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on how I can sort of introduce and teach the basics of Orthodoxy to a nine year old coming from a 'non-denominational' background without dishonoring our mother or causing uproar and confusion in the house by making her think that I'm 'stealing' her son away or something. Fortunately, he loves the externals as he attended Vespers with me once, and the little guy even told me he wants to be a Priest, not a Pastor, lol. I guess I'm wondering how I can teach him the basics of what we believe. I mean, he is at the age where he asks a lot of questions, and sometimes I answer them and sometimes our parents do. So, given my situation, I think I need to answer his questions and teach him, yet, I need to be somewhat respectful of our parents. He might come with me to Liturgy this Sunday or to a Presanctified next wednesday. So, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as I sort of take the little guy under my wing.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »

FWIW here's a link on young children and Orthodoxy.'
http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/youngchildren.aspx

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

FWIW here's a link on young children and Orthodoxy.'
http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/youngchildren.aspx

Jeeze. I don't want to scare the kid during his first few times at an Orthodox Church. That article seems like it is mostly written for the cradle Orthodox, but our situation is different because he was not born into the Church and is not used to any of this stuff. I think that I am going to have to take a more gradual approach to accustoming him to the Church.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:46 PM »

To be honest, I do not even think he knows the difference between Orthodoxy and 'non-denominationalism' other than the externals. But, I think that the externals are really drawing him to Orthodoxy.
That's OK.  "Externals" is how the Patriarchate of Moscow, the largest Orthodox Church, got started.

For some reason I started laughing under my breath, because even a small child was being drawn to the truth and was disappointed by going to a 'non-denominational' mainline Church.
My sons disparaged going to "the church where we don't pray" (Willowcreek.  My one said "it's not a church, it's a mall," and "it's not really a church.  We sit and watch people do things on like a stage.")

Anyway, enough blogging. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on how I can sort of introduce and teach the basics of Orthodoxy to a nine year old coming from a 'non-denominational' background without dishonoring our mother or causing uproar and confusion in the house by making her think that I'm 'stealing' her son away or something. Fortunately, he loves the externals as he attended Vespers with me once, and the little guy even told me he wants to be a Priest, not a Pastor, lol. I guess I'm wondering how I can teach him the basics of what we believe. I mean, he is at the age where he asks a lot of questions, and sometimes I answer them and sometimes our parents do. So, given my situation, I think I need to answer his questions and teach him, yet, I need to be somewhat respectful of our parents. He might come with me to Liturgy this Sunday or to a Presanctified next wednesday. So, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as I sort of take the little guy under my wing.
I don't know if he is too big for this:
http://www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SDUGUARDANG
(it's from the UGCC, but it's good)

There are a number of books for kids now.

Make sure he gets antidoron.  When he misses a Sunday, bring some home for him.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: