OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:34:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical rites and the Pope  (Read 3503 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »

It would have happened again in Scandinavia with the Nordic Catholic Church, if not for the myopia of the local Greek hierarch, who doesn't even favor Scandinavians becoming EO.  Too bad they did not approach Moscow (whose jurisdiction stretches into northern Norway).

You really think that it would have turned out as a new unified local church? Despite the myriad of EO churches in Scandinavia?
Yes, less Greek influence, more Russian influence.

Has the Scandinavian Greek bishops even bothered yet with setting up their Episcopal Assembly?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »

It would have happened again in Scandinavia with the Nordic Catholic Church, if not for the myopia of the local Greek hierarch, who doesn't even favor Scandinavians becoming EO.

Can't say whether it would have or not, but in any case I guess your loss is others' gain.

Likely a gain for atheism.
Fortunately not entirely: the PNC took them under their wing.

In terms of low opinions of non-Orthodox, you've really outdone yourselves. I see little similarity between the PNCC and atheism.
Neither do I.

Cavaradossi called it "a gain for atheism" to which you replied "not entirely". So it would seems that you have a slightly higher opinion of the PNCC.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

It would have happened again in Scandinavia with the Nordic Catholic Church, if not for the myopia of the local Greek hierarch, who doesn't even favor Scandinavians becoming EO.

Can't say whether it would have or not, but in any case I guess your loss is others' gain.

In terms of low opinions of non-Orthodox, you've really outdone yourselves. I see little similarity between the PNCC and atheism.
Neither do I.

Cavaradossi called it "a gain for atheism" to which you replied "not entirely". So it would seems that you have a slightly higher opinion of the PNCC.
No, the PNCC did not get them all, so for all we know they are moorless and easy pickin's in irreligious Scandinavia.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »

Neither do I.

Sorry, I was being unclear. That was just a comment on how widespread atheism has become in Scandinavia, and how the 'myopia' of some could lead others to become disillusioned with religion in general. I don't equate any of those groups with atheism. It seems that Isa understood what I was going for, hence his response that the PNCC fortunately took them in.

I'm not quite ready to buy into St. Athanasius' polemical argument that a baptism into Arianism (or any other heresy/schism for that matter) is a baptism into atheism. Wink
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:29:15 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »

Neither do I.

No, the PNCC did not get them all, so for all we know they are moorless and easy pickin's in irreligious Scandinavia.
OIC. That's different from what you said the first time.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »

The Maronites were very much Monothelites:all the contemporary sources, Orthodox (both Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian), Ultramontanist, Muslim and Maronite are quite agreed on that.  They didn't really get weaned off of it until the pseudo-council of Florence, and even then, not completely until the council of 1736.

Yes contemporary Antiochians (Orthodox and Catholic) and Latins with an axe to grind. It is wrong to call miaphysites monophysites.  It is wrong to call miathelites monothelites.  Theodosius of Ceasarea's reply to St Maximos the Confessor is a representative statement of what the Maronites taught:

"We too acknowledge the natures and different operations, namely divine and human, and that his Godhead is endowed with will and his manhood endowed with will, since his soul was not without a will. But we do not say two, lest we present him as being at war with himself" (Disputation at Bizye, CCSG 39, p. 109, 387-92).

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »

The heretical Pope Honorius had been deposed and anathematized by the Sixth Ecumenical Council (681).

Honorius died in 638 in communion with the Church, he was never deposed.  His anathematization in 681 was posthumous like that of Theodore of Mopsuestia.   

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »

When said Church follows his disobedience, it becomes a schismatic church.
Not all the Church followed.

Your Vatican thinks so...another "church" of France.
Only the bishops of the SSPX were excommunicated and those have been lifted.  Rome has made succesive accomodations to those who prefer the Tridentine form of the Roman Rite.  On the otherhand, those of the Orthodox Church of France who refused to follow Bishop Germain were forced to adopt the Byzantine Rite.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2012, 02:18:40 AM »

The Maronites were very much Monothelites:all the contemporary sources, Orthodox (both Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian), Ultramontanist, Muslim and Maronite are quite agreed on that.  They didn't really get weaned off of it until the pseudo-council of Florence, and even then, not completely until the council of 1736.

Yes contemporary Antiochians (Orthodox and Catholic) and Latins with an axe to grind.
and Maronites too, like the Maronite manuscript that records the Life of St. Maximos the Confessor, only the Maronite has entitled it "The  Life of the wretched Maximus, whose tongue was cut out and his hand cut off for his blasphemy" or some such thing (I'm going by memory, I don't have the copy at hand but it is mentioned here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Xa1zdxyfxLYC&pg=PA63&dq=Early+Syriac+Life+of+Maximus+maronite+manuscript&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7iF9T8vAJZKi8gS75uztDA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Early%20Syriac%20Life%20of%20Maximus%20maronite%20manuscript&f=false
An introduction to Syriac studies By Sebastian P. Brock

More commical is the Maronites doctoring of their own old manuscripts, but not very well.  Like the copy of "Pat." John Maron's Exposition of the Faith, where the Syriac is changed to exonerate him of Monotheletism, but failed to make the changes in the Garshuni (Arabic written in Syriac letters).
http://books.google.com/books?id=8Ogp94y8CJgC&pg=PA160&dq=%22failed+to+make+the+same+changes+in+the+Arabic%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fjd9T-HxPIO69QTKs5iIAQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22failed%20to%20make%20the%20same%20changes%20in%20the%20Arabic%22&f=false

Just because the Latins couldn't distinguish us WOGS, doesn't mean we couldn't.  Before 820, Theodore Abu Qurrah writes against the Maronites and reproaches them as anathematized by the Sixth Council.  The next century Pope Eutychios of Alexandria identifies EP Sergius of Constantinople, Pope Cyrus of Alexandria, Emperor Heraclius etc. as "Maronites."  Both writers, btw, were in communion with Rome, and Theodore points out the Maronites are not (I don't recall if Eutychios talks about that).  Pat. John of Antioch (the one your Crusader friends expelled from his see) writes of the Monothelite Maronites, etc.

It is wrong to call miaphysites monophysites.  It is wrong to call miathelites monothelites.
I did neither, regardless of how right or wrong that would be.

Theodosius of Ceasarea's reply to St Maximos the Confessor is a representative statement of what the Maronites taught:

"We too acknowledge the natures and different operations, namely divine and human, and that his Godhead is endowed with will and his manhood endowed with will, since his soul was not without a will. But we do not say two, lest we present him as being at war with himself" (Disputation at Bizye, CCSG 39, p. 109, 387-92).
That he is disputing with St. Maximos the Confessor should have tipped you off to the monotheletism.  Btw, Theodosius was monothelite, but he was not Maronite.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:21:39 AM by ialmisry » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2012, 03:45:51 AM »

Has the Scandinavian Greek bishops even bothered yet with setting up their Episcopal Assembly?

Never heard of any.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:09 AM »

The heretical Pope Honorius had been deposed and anathematized by the Sixth Ecumenical Council (681).

Honorius died in 638 in communion with the Church, he was never deposed.  His anathematization in 681 was posthumous like that of Theodore of Mopsuestia.   
And your point?  Have you lifted the excommunications placed by the Fathers in Ecumenical Council?  Undone all the anathemas on Pope Honorius uttered by every pope of Rome taking office for centuries after him?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »

Never heard of any.
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath, though Met. Stylianos finally convened one (and helped himself to East Asia in the process).

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »

And your point?  Have you lifted the excommunications placed by the Fathers in Ecumenical Council?  Undone all the anathemas on Pope Honorius uttered by every pope of Rome taking office for centuries after him?
He wasn't deposed as you stated in error.  You can't excommunicate someone who is dead and posthumous anathemas of persons are silly, they have gone to their reward.  If you want to declare a teaching in error fine, leave the dead to God's mercy. 

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »

It is wrong to call miaphysites monophysites.  It is wrong to call miathelites monothelites.
You do it every time you call Maronites monothelites.

Theodosius of Ceasarea's reply to St Maximos the Confessor is a representative statement of what the Maronites taught:

That he is disputing with St. Maximos the Confessor should have tipped you off to the monotheletism.  Btw, Theodosius was monothelite, but he was not Maronite.
He was a Greek and a miathelite.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:46:37 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »

Christos Anesti!
Those pictures of Archbishop Sheen are amazing thank you!

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »

He wasn't deposed as you stated in error.  You can't excommunicate someone who is dead and posthumous anathemas of persons are silly, they have gone to their reward.  If you want to declare a teaching in error fine, leave the dead to God's mercy. 
"What you bind on earth will be bound in heaven."

I'll stick with what the Church through the Fathers decided, as it seemed good to them and the Holy Spirit.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »

You do it every time you call Maronites monothelites.

That he is disputing with St. Maximos the Confessor should have tipped you off to the monotheletism.  Btw, Theodosius was monothelite, but he was not Maronite.
He was a Greek and a miathelite.  
Miathelitism?  Never heard of it.  A new creation?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: