OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:30:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: from catholic to orthodox  (Read 1331 times) Average Rating: 0
OrthodoxDavid

OC.net

« on: October 16, 2004, 04:52:48 PM »

Hello everyone I am a roman catholic thinking about orthodoxy a lot Smiley. I recently read some of the early councils and the filiquoe is not in it. This is what sparked my interest in orthodoxy .

I have read St basil on the holy spirit and st Athanasius on the incarnation and now am reading St. Cyril of jerusalem on the unity of christ. I have also read the apostolic fathers

what are some other good books to read about orthodoxy ?and what is a good book to explain the holy theotokos. Smiley ?

thanks for any response to my questions

NULL
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 05:19:22 PM »

The usual recommendation is The Orthodox Church by Kallistos Ware.

Two others I've found useful are The Orthodox Church A to Z by Fr. George Grube and The Roots of Christian Mysticism: Text and Commentary by Olivier Clement.

Then there is an online Orthodox catechism* (adopted from The Mystery of Faith by Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev)
http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx

*[size=0]This is one among several, as the OC doesn't have an "official" catechism.[/size]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 05:23:45 PM by Strelets » Logged

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 12:15:36 AM »

As a RC, you might be interested in Michael Whelton's Two Paths: Papal Monarchy - Collegial Tradition: Rome's Claims of Papal Supremacy in the Light of Orthodox Christian Teaching.

Also helpful, at least from my point of view, is Fr. Alexander Schmemman's For the Life of the World, which explains the Orthodox view of the sacraments, as well as his Of Water and the Spirit which deals specifically with baptism.  And as long as you're checking out Bp. KALLISTOS Ware, also read his other book, The Orthodox Way.

As for the Holy Mother, St. John Maximovitch's The Orthodox Veneration of Mary the Birthgiver of God is a good start.  It clearly draws the line between the idea of the "Immaculate Conception" and the (we would say) proper, Orthodox veneration.

God bless you in your reading and prayers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 12:17:06 AM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 07:16:22 AM »

I've just started reading "The Year of Grace of the Lord: A Scriptural and Liturgical Commentary on the Calendar of the Orthodox Church" by A Monk of the Eastern Church. The author is actually Father Lev Gillet, a former Benedictine monk who became Orthodox in 1928. He writes beautifully without anything of a polemic nature, quite unlike another convert from Catholicism, Abb+¬ Guett+¬e.

You can read Bishop Kallistos Ware's book, "The Orthodox Church" online here:
http://www.intratext.com/X/ENG0804.HTM

God bless,
John.
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 08:29:39 AM »

I agree with the recommendations made here, but would advise caution with Whelton's "Two Paths", because in my opinion this book is rather too slanted.  It's fine to read that side of the story, but there's another side as well, and then it can become about which polemic you find more convincing, and that's not a great place to be in, in my opinion.

Also look for other works by Fr. Lev Gillet if you can find them.

B
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 02:22:53 PM »

Mmm.  A good point, Brendan, re: 2 Paths.  

A question re: Ware's TOC: how is something which is still (I assume) under copyright w/Penguin BooksTM able to be online in its entirety?  Wouldn't this violate some copyright law and cause loss of income to the company?

Sorry...my wife's an aspiring librarian, and I'm an educator; can't be too careful with what we reproduce...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 02:25:39 AM »

I guess you would have to contact intratext.com and ask them.

John.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: