OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 07:29:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Progressive Muslims Launch Gay-Friendly, Women-Led Mosques  (Read 743 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 29, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »

They're taking bold steps, reinterpreting Islamic norms and re-examining taboos. While far from accepted by mainstream clerics, these worshippers feel that the future of the religion lies not solely with tradition but with them. Women are leading congregations in prayer, gay imams are performing Islamic marriages, and men and women are praying side by side.

This is not the norm for most of the 2.6 million-strong American Islamic community, accustomed to centuries-old traditions of gender relations and houses of worship that tend to draw primarily from a single ethnic group.

"We can't move forward as a society, as a faith system, if we subscribe to these old draconian ways of practicing Islam," says Ani Zonneveld, who is the president of Muslims for Progressive Values. A 49-year-old singer-songwriter who lives in Los Angeles, she leads prayers for men and women together and tells gay Muslims, often shunned in other mosques, that their religion welcomes them.

Is Islam evolving in America?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »

They're taking bold steps, reinterpreting Islamic norms and re-examining taboos. While far from accepted by mainstream clerics, these worshippers feel that the future of the religion lies not solely with tradition but with them. Women are leading congregations in prayer, gay imams are performing Islamic marriages, and men and women are praying side by side.

This is not the norm for most of the 2.6 million-strong American Islamic community, accustomed to centuries-old traditions of gender relations and houses of worship that tend to draw primarily from a single ethnic group.

"We can't move forward as a society, as a faith system, if we subscribe to these old draconian ways of practicing Islam," says Ani Zonneveld, who is the president of Muslims for Progressive Values. A 49-year-old singer-songwriter who lives in Los Angeles, she leads prayers for men and women together and tells gay Muslims, often shunned in other mosques, that their religion welcomes them.

Is Islam evolving in America?

Perhaps... but only time will tell if the mutation gets passed on to the descendents and begins to spread among the population...

Until then, good job! And good luck (ie. stay safe)!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »

Methodists for Mohammed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »

Well, good luck. But what they are doing can be quite dangerous.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »

As I was reading this I was thinking "These guys have to be converts..." and soon as I saw "Ani Zonneveld" I knew I was right.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

As I was reading this I was thinking "These guys have to be converts..." and soon as I saw "Ani Zonneveld" I knew I was right.
Perhaps some Christians who in earlier decades (say, 1800s) would have become Unitarian, are now becoming Muslim.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »

Look out, world! Here come the Islamopalians!

I miss the days when people like these would become Buddhists, get bad kanji tattoos, and call it a day. Sadly, Islam is very much en vogue these days. Maybe they'll come to their senses after some more traditional Muslims start making noise about this. I'm with Gorazd. It seems like they mean well, but don't really know what they're potentially exposing themselves to.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:54 PM »

Unlike our many Fr. Barsanuphius Andersons in America...
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:55 PM »

Unlike our many Fr. Barsanuphius Andersons in America...

Did those "Fr. Barsanuphius Andersons" become Orthodox and replace Orthodoxy with Unitarian Universalism?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »

Perhaps some Christians who in earlier decades (say, 1800s) would have become Unitarian, are now becoming Muslim.

Exactly...
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:41 AM »

Ani Zonneveld is not a convert, but a cradle Muslim from Malaysia.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44993807/ns/us_news-life/t/battling-gay-rights-allahs-name/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:20:35 AM by Gorazd » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »

Well she has a pretty (=completely) Dutch name.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:02:04 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »

Well she has a pretty (=completely) Dutch name.
The Dutch did colonize parts of Malaysia, among other places.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: