OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:38:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fire Within Mama Maggie: The quiet strength of an activist mystic  (Read 668 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 28, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »

The unexpected highlight of the latest Willow Creek Leadership Summit was Mama Maggie Gobran, the diminutive Coptic Christian who works in the slums of Cairo, Egypt, with destitute children, both Christian and Muslim, who "are hungry every hour."

While she heads an organization, Stephen's Children, it was clear that the power of her leadership was a more mystical kind than normally spotlighted at leadership summits.

In her remarks, Mama Maggie said, "The hardest task of a leader is to get to know the Almighty and to keep your heart pure." One way to do that, she said, is through silence. There "you discover a taste of eternity."
How do you feel when people call you "the Mother Teresa of Cairo"?

Every time I hear it I feel that she's coming to me saying, "I'm blessing you." And I want her to keep on blessing me and the children until the day we stand before Jesus. I'm not worthy to untie her sandal. But I know she's with me. We have the same lover.

My nephew, a physician, gave me a Christmas gift, a framed photo of Mother Teresa, and she is in front of me every day. She comes to me in dreams. Also in hard times.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »

"Silence your body to listen to your words. 
Silence your tongue to listen to your thoughts. 
Silence your thoughts to listen to your heart. 
Silence your heart to listen to your spirit. 
Silence your spirit to listen to His Spirit.
In silence, you leave the many to be with the One."

- 'Mama' Maggie Gobran at the Willow Creek Leadership Summit

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »

Is she Coptic Orthodox?

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »

There was another thread about her here.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42936.0.html

It does appear that she's still a member of the COC.  But then why no recognition by the Church for her work, I just don't know.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »

On her website there is a report on the late Pope in which it clearly says she is a Coptic Christian.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »

On her website there is a report on the late Pope in which it clearly says she is a Coptic Christian.

Ya, it was made clear here:

http://www.stephenschildren.org/LATESTNEWS/sg_userfiles/SC-Passing-of-Coptic-Pope.pdf

Pope Shenouda III, the 117th Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of St. Mark,
became the spiritual leader of the Coptic Orthodox communion in 1971. He was born on
August 2, 1923, as Nazeer Gayed in the city of Asyut, Egypt, attended Cairo University,
entered seminary and became a monk in 1954, attracted to the solitude of the desert.
But he was destined for a far more public ministry, ultimately serving as the spiritual
head of the 10 million Egyptian Christians who are part of the Coptic Orthodox Church,
including Mama Maggie, the founder of Stephen’s Children.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:32:15 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:01:34 AM »

It is confusing that her ministry seems so much connected to Protestants, and the Board of Advisors contains no Orthodox clergy at all, only Anglicans.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org
Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies
http://www.lsocs.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags: Maggie Gobran Mama Maggie 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: