OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 04:24:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Wallace: The Problem With Protestant Ecclesiology  (Read 1433 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: March 26, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »

Interesting article by Protestant scholar Daniel Wallace  http://danielbwallace.com/2012/03/18/the-problem-with-protestant-ecclesiology/

Quote from: Daniel B. Wallace
Several evangelical scholars have noted that the problem with Protestant ecclesiology is that there is no Protestant ecclesiology. In many denominations—and especially in non-denominational churches—there is no hierarchy of churches responsible to a central head, no accountability beyond the local congregation, no fellowship beyond the local assembly, no missional emphasis that gains support from hundreds of congregations, and no superiors to whom a local pastor must submit for doctrinal or ethical fidelity.

Three events have especially caused me to reflect on my own ecclesiological situation and long for something different...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:01:45 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »

sounds like he's on his way...
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »

These sound like famous last words. Every ex-protestant convert to the EO or CC I have ever heard speak, or whose words I have read, begins their journey just like this.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »

Sounds like we have a convert coming in. I thought these exact same words before my conversion.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »

my issue with this is that your normal, run-of-the-mill protestant doesn't care that he has no ecclesiology, he just cares about what he knows about the scriptures.  other than dropping verses on them, why should they care about ecclesiology?  (I say "other" here b/c even when you drop verses, they just don't care). 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Mivac

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »

my issue with this is that your normal, run-of-the-mill protestant doesn't care that he has no ecclesiology, he just cares about what he knows about the scriptures. 

This is very Ironic.  The Scriptures are packed full of verses concerning the Church, and the relationship/union of Christ Jesus and His Body.  Am I wrong to see ecclesiology basically being a study on Christ Jesus?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:48:11 AM »

my issue with this is that your normal, run-of-the-mill protestant doesn't care that he has no ecclesiology, he just cares about what he knows about the scriptures. 

This is very Ironic.  The Scriptures are packed full of verses concerning the Church, and the relationship/union of Christ Jesus and His Body.  Am I wrong to see ecclesiology basically being a study on Christ Jesus?
No, since we believe the Church to be the Body of Christ.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:54:19 AM »

my issue with this is that your normal, run-of-the-mill protestant doesn't care that he has no ecclesiology, he just cares about what he knows about the scriptures.  other than dropping verses on them, why should they care about ecclesiology?  (I say "other" here b/c even when you drop verses, they just don't care). 
+ 1

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:13 PM »

It's a matter of perspective. I wouldn't say that the average Protestant doesn't care about ecclesiololgy out of reckless disregard for it (though that may be the case for some, who knows), rather that he doesn't care because he has no concept of it. It's totally foreign to the Protestant thought process. At least it was for me. And when it comes to Scripture reading, I'd read it through Protestant-colored glasses. Now, for sure I "see" the verses about the Church that I didn't "see" before... Like when you read a new book, suddenly you see it everywhere.... Or learn a new word, and notice that all of a sudden everyone's using it. If that makes sense...

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »

This is very Ironic.  The Scriptures are packed full of verses concerning the Church, and the relationship/union of Christ Jesus and His Body.  Am I wrong to see ecclesiology basically being a study on Christ Jesus.

It's a matter of perspective. I wouldn't say that the average Protestant doesn't care about ecclesiololgy out of reckless disregard for it (though that may be the case for some, who knows), rather that he doesn't care because he has no concept of it. It's totally foreign to the Protestant thought process. At least it was for me. And when it comes to Scripture reading, I'd read it through Protestant-colored glasses. Now, for sure I "see" the verses about the Church that I didn't "see" before... Like when you read a new book, suddenly you see it everywhere.... Or learn a new word, and notice that all of a sudden everyone's using it. If that makes sense...

Indeed.  It isn't, usually, that there is no ecclesiology of any sort, or a complete lack of concern for it.  Rather, at least in my experience as a Protestant, the concept of ecclesiology was usually quickly written off by saying that there is an invisible body of Christ, and the only real question was whether or not Catholics counted.  Of course, that eventually stopped being satisfactory for me...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »

so for the purpose of this thread, we are using ecclesiology to mean the study of the church; the order, structure, and origins of it? (am i missing something?)
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »

Here are a few problems that I don't think are being addressed here:

1) Wallace is approaching this issue not via Scripture, but via his beliefs. We all bring beliefs to Scriptural interpretation (I'll get to that), thus quoting Scripture rarely does any good because we rarely approach Scripture so openly as to let it question our beliefs.

2) Wallace isn't necessarily approaching conversion, though the question he asks is one that many potential converts (and eventual converts) begin to ask. Rather, he may just seek a new way to establish ecclesiology within the Protestant church

3) Many SBC professors would disagree with him. They take εκκλησια (ekklesia: Church) to refer mostly to the local church. In other words, their belief paints their interpretation; it's hard to get the to move beyond this. Almost every scripture you point out to them they'll say, "That's in reference to the local church," completely ignoring how the early Church interpreted the passage.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »

1) Wallace is approaching this issue not via Scripture, but via his beliefs. We all bring beliefs to Scriptural interpretation (I'll get to that), thus quoting Scripture rarely does any good because we rarely approach Scripture so openly as to let it question our beliefs.

2) Wallace isn't necessarily approaching conversion, though the question he asks is one that many potential converts (and eventual converts) begin to ask. Rather, he may just seek a new way to establish ecclesiology within the Protestant church

3) Many SBC professors would disagree with him. They take εκκλησια (ekklesia: Church) to refer mostly to the local church. In other words, their belief paints their interpretation; it's hard to get the to move beyond this. Almost every scripture you point out to them they'll say, "That's in reference to the local church," completely ignoring how the early Church interpreted the passage.

well the issue is that they're not even translating the WORD correctly.  "ek" "laon" means "of the people".  Seems pretty broad to me. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Mivac

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »

well the issue is that they're not even translating the WORD correctly.  "ek" "laon" means "of the people".  Seems pretty broad to me. 

The real problem is fear of RCism and its views of supremacy and the abuses of power they had in the west.  They in order to be separated from RCism had to go with a different understanding concerning the church.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »

Ecclesiology is soteriology.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »

Could you explain this?  I think you're on to something interesting, that i've heard before, but an explanation would be great. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »

The real problem is fear of RCism and its views of supremacy and the abuses of power they had in the west.  They in order to be separated from RCism had to go with a different understanding concerning the church.

Ok, then why when i've said "we're not the RC church & don't do things like the RC church, but are a continuation of the church Christ Himself established" do I just get eye rolls & scrambling to move on? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »

This strikes me as true.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »

Could you explain this?  I think you're on to something interesting, that i've heard before, but an explanation would be great. 
How you think salvation occurs, will affect how you think Christians should live (communally, individually, etc.). If salvation includes the interplay of priest and layperson, centered on the bodily presence of Christ as the Eucharist, then that will shape ecclesiology in a particular way, such that Church is not merely a voluntary society of inherently separate individuals, but a Temple where the communal communion with the Trinity is visibly entered into.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 12:55:30 AM »

I think this response sums it up quite well.

Many Protestant beliefs are an overreaction to the abuses of Catholicism. A quick read of Luther - kept in his historical context - sees that much of what he says is an overreaction to what he saw. The Protestants simply never corrected these overreactions. If they did, they'd probably be Orthodox (or go back to Catholicism, since the form they're "Protesting" no longer exists; everything they fear is pre-Council of Trent).

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

How you think salvation occurs, will affect how you think Christians should live (communally, individually, etc.). If salvation includes the interplay of priest and layperson, centered on the bodily presence of Christ as the Eucharist, then that will shape ecclesiology in a particular way, such that Church is not merely a voluntary society of inherently separate individuals, but a Temple where the communal communion with the Trinity is visibly entered into.

Could this be looked at the other way around?  Like:  because the ecclesiology is shaped a particular way, a voluntary society of inherently separate individuals, this means that salvation is a culmination of individuation...?  Or is that a stretch?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »

Could this be looked at the other way around?  Like:  because the ecclesiology is shaped a particular way, a voluntary society of inherently separate individuals, this means that salvation is a culmination of individuation...?  Or is that a stretch?
That could work too. Participating in an "individualistic" church would lead one to see salvation as individualistic; whereas participation in a "communal" Church would lead one to understand salvation as a process of community.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »

Ok, then why when i've said "we're not the RC church & don't do things like the RC church, but are a continuation of the church Christ Himself established" do I just get eye rolls & scrambling to move on? 

Despite what you say you look too Roman Catholic to them. Remember they don't have the same understanding of the early church you do. In their minds the early Christians sat around in groups in peoples homes strumming their guitars harps, singing choruses, and praying with the occasional sermon thrown in for good measure.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »

Despite what you say you look too Roman Catholic to them. Remember they don't have the same understanding of the early church you do. In their minds the early Christians sat around in groups in peoples homes strumming their guitars harps, singing choruses, and praying with the occasional sermon thrown in for good measure.

there are many times I wonder if even that is going through their head.  I just always get the impression that the Bible has become their idol.  it becomes the thing that is worshiped.  Anyway, thank you all for your help, i'm sure there's no "one answer" to any of this. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »

if anyone has a twitter or facebook account, they can send him a link to this page.
please point him in the right direction!
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »

I just always get the impression that the Bible has become their idol.  it becomes the thing that is worshiped.

I just had to reply to this part because it's something I've come to the conclusion of as well. It seems that many Protestants, especially of the Evangelical/Reformed sorts, have a similar view of the Bible that Islam has of the Qu'ran. Their glorification of the Bible, like the Muslims with the Qu'ran, is almost to deific levels.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: