OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 04:03:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is This Real Life?  (Read 332 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: March 26, 2012, 01:25:27 AM »

James Cameron reaches deepest spot on Earth

Hollywood icon James Cameron has made it to Earth's deepest point.

The director of "Titanic," "Avatar" and other films used a specially designed submarine to dive nearly seven miles, completing his journey a little before 8 a.m. Monday local time, according to Stephanie Montgomery of the National Geographic Society...

The scale of the trench is hard to grasp -- it's 120 times larger than the Grand Canyon and more than a mile deeper than Mount Everest is tall...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:25:43 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »

James Cameron reaches deepest spot on Earth

Hollywood icon James Cameron has made it to Earth's deepest point.

The director of "Titanic," "Avatar" and other films used a specially designed submarine to dive nearly seven miles, completing his journey a little before 8 a.m. Monday local time, according to Stephanie Montgomery of the National Geographic Society...

The scale of the trench is hard to grasp -- it's 120 times larger than the Grand Canyon and more than a mile deeper than Mount Everest is tall...
And if his submarine were to spring a leak at that depth, he'd be squashed before he could even say "squashed".

For example:

Crab gets sucked into 1/4-inch slit in deep sea pipe.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3759720759650727608
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:30:59 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »

From the article:

"Just arrived at the ocean's deepest [point]. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing [with] you," Cameron said in the tweet.

What in the good hell?  Am I to understand that he actually managed to send a tweet from 7 miles underwater but I cannot manage to get cell reception on my campus? I'm bitter.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: