OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 11:58:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What documentaries are you watching?  (Read 4403 times) Average Rating: 0
vorgos

Faith: Not enough

« on: March 24, 2012, 06:54:22 AM »

I was going to post in the movies thread but decided to start a new one instead.

So, last week I watched "The fog of war". Wikipedia describes it as

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara is a 2003 American documentary film about the life and times of former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara as well as illustrating his observations of the nature of modern warfare.

Very educational I thought. McNamara certainly seemed repentant of many of his actions and decisions. Glad to see the with age indeed comes wisdom but is anyone paying attention?

And just now finished watching "Flight from Death: The Quest for Immortality".

The summary seemed to be that more or less our entire lives are governed, consciously or unconsciously, by fear of death.  Sad  I don't know that I would agree with a lot of it, but what do I know, I am not a Pulitzer winning anthropologist... From Wikipedia again

The film's purpose is to investigate humankind's relationship with death, and is heavily influenced by the views of cultural anthropologist Ernest Becker.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:54:39 AM by vorgos » Logged
vorgos

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:57:59 AM »

Rats! Just found out from the Wikipedia article that "Fog of war" is available for free on Google Videos. Oh well, I hope you enjoy my 3.99 apple! Scroll to the bottom, you can't miss it.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:15:17 AM »

Kumaré

One of the most thought-provoking documentaries that I've seen. Some Indian-American was impersonating as an Indian guru and gained suprisingly devout followers. Some even stayed in contact even after he revealed that he was a fake guru.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »

How to Die in Oregon, a film about assisted suicide and the reality of facing imminent death. Worth a see, I'd say, regardless of what side of the debate you are on. 

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/how_to_die_in_oregon/

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »

Kumaré

One of the most thought-provoking documentaries that I've seen. Some Indian-American was impersonating as an Indian guru and gained suprisingly devout followers. Some even stayed in contact even after he revealed that he was a fake guru.

I remember watching that one. Very thought-provoking indeed.

A few days ago, I watched a very interesting documentary about the life of the Yongle Emperor and the construction of the Forbidden City.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

How to Die in Oregon, a film about assisted suicide and the reality of facing imminent death. Worth a see, I'd say, regardless of what side of the debate you are on. 

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/how_to_die_in_oregon/

I thought I saw that on Netflix, but never ended up watching it... thanks for the reminder!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »

I try to catch Coast when it's on, though not very hard. Wink I make much more of an effort for any of Lucy Worsley's works.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »

Secrets of the Viking Sword (Nova production) and Thunderbeast (on the American Bison from Nat. Geo)
Both on Netflix

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »

I try to catch Coast when it's on, though not very hard. Wink I make much more of an effort for any of Lucy Worsley's works.

Yours sound fascinating. I wonder if any of them are available or viewable in the U.S.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »

Yours sound fascinating. I wonder if any of them are available or viewable in the U.S.

YouTube. Wink Pretty much everything Worsley is on there. Coast has been going on for a long time, so there are probably several episodes missing, but there's still a lot, even from the first season. I just hope they're not blocked in your country.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »

YouTube. Wink Pretty much everything Worsley is on there. Coast has been going on for a long time, so there are probably several episodes missing, but there's still a lot, even from the first season. I just hope they're not blocked in your country.

Thank you for the information!  I will be sure to look for them.

vorgos

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 08:11:05 AM »

Kumaré

I have seen the trailer on this and it looks interesting. It reminds me of that story of an author who wrote a book which described a fictional religion but their readers started taking as being real and started pestering the author even after they flat out said that it was all made up!
vorgos

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 07:13:51 AM »

Scientific Racism: The Eugenics of Social Darwinism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eX5T68TQIo

BBC documentary which shows that what the Nazis did to the Jews was simply the worse but not the first in the implementation of social darwinism.

Lord have mercy...
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

I liked "Fat Head". (Used to be on Netflix Instant Watch.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »

Just found it and I think it's well presented and well translated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObgx5MedyM

Pascha On Mount Athos a production of the Holy Monastery of Simonopetra in 2008, in Greek with English subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »

I loved that one. It was pretty obvious early on in Super Size Me that Spurlock was full of it. I just didn't know how much.

I like how the Fat Head guy made everything he did publicly available.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

The People vs. George Lucas. It's on Netflix.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »

^ What is that one about?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »

The fan's Love/Hate relationship with George Lucas, especially in light of the disaster that was the prequel trilogy.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:56:44 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »

The fan's Love/Hate relationship with George Lucas, especially in light of the distater that was the prequel trilogy.

Hard to do worse than the postquel, so you have to give him that.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »

The fan's Love/Hate relationship with George Lucas, especially in light of the distater that was the prequel trilogy.

Hard to do worse than the postquel, so you have to give him that.
Will you please stop and watch Hoop Dreams.

I've been begging you FOR YEARS.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »

"Happy People" was the latest by Werner Herzog that I saw. It's about hunters in Siberia. The Herzog before that that I saw was "Grizzly Man," about an wildlife activist in Alaska who gets eaten by a bear. Werner Herzog is awesome.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »

And it's on Netflix too.

No more excuses.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »

And it's on Netflix too.

No more excuses.

I thought it was the Basketball Diaries.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »

ROFL BASKETBALL DIARIES.

Here's the DVD cover as shown on Netflix:

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 07:06:17 PM »

<------- has never seen American Graffiti.

“Star Wars” is like getting a box of Cracker Jack which is all prizes. This is the writer-director George Lucas’s own film, subject to no business interference, yet it’s a film that’s totally uninterested in anything that doesn’t connect with the mass audience. There’s no breather in the picture, no lyricism; the only attempt at beauty is in the double sunset. It’s enjoyable on its own terms, but it’s exhausting, too: like taking a pack of kids to the circus. An hour into it, children say that they’re ready to see it again; that’s because it’s an assemblage of spare parts—it has no emotional grip. “Star Wars” may be the only movie in which the first time around the surprises are reassuring…. It’s an epic without a dream. But it’s probably the absence of wonder that accounts for the film’s special, huge success. The excitement of those who call it the film of the year goes way past nostalgia to the feeling that now is the time to return to childhood.

—Pauline Kael, “Contrasts,” The Current Cinema, September 26, 1977.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »

Waiting for the extreme metal episode of 'Metal Evolution' to come out. According to their campaign, they're almost done with production.  Smiley

Not posting
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »

ROFL BASKETBALL DIARIES.

Here's the DVD cover as shown on Netflix:

I WUZ PULLING YO LEG YO!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »

Just today I watched two documentaries on the small Central Asian country of Tajikistan on YouTube.  I've read a little here and there on Central Asia and I've always thought they were Turkic in origin.  Tajikistan is predominantly Persian, they practice a mixture of Sunni Islam and nativist religion, and they've recently dropped the Russian suffix -ov from their names.  But what really amazed me was that some of them look Persian while others look Caucasian with blond hair and blue eyes.  I'm not sure I'd want to visit, but I have a new respect for Tajik's and their country.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »

I'm watching The Queen of Versailles. I've never seen anything this American in my entire life. Except maybe George W. Bush and some corny Hollywood action films.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:31:11 AM by Alpo » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »

It turned out to be not so stereotypical after all but still interesting. I watched a movie about skinheads yesterday and I had similar kind of feelings that I have know after watching this. Maybe I should reconsider pursuing an academic career and do something related to different cultures.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:22:06 PM by Alpo » Logged

vorgos

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »

The Australian science show Catalyst dedicated two episodes on the 'Cholesterol causes obesity' theory so this documentary didn't show me anything new. Although I realise it was meant as a rebuttal to 'Supersize me', I didn't care for their presentation style.

If anyone is interested in the Catalyst episodes here are the links.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm -- Heart of the Matter Part 1 - Dietary Villains
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3881441.htm -- Heart of the Matter Part 2 - Cholesterol Drug War
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »

Stalin - Man of Steel (I think I was a dictator in a previous life)

Nektarios_In_E.S.

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »

the last really good -though very sad- documentary that I saw was the "Armenian Genocide."

I forgot if it was the BBC or the PBS one.  Though all I've seen have been pretty well done.  I also saw one in spanish.  The turkish treatment and cruelty pretty much made me sick.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 01:50:41 PM »

I saw a very good documentary about comet ISON yesterday.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »

"Into Great Silence" about the Carthusian monks was interesting.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

I must say that after watching this documentary Stalin's horrific reign surpasses the worst mass human experience that I could have imagined up until this point. Truly, the Romanian Ceausescu that I would know more about is nothing compared to Stalin. Even Hitler doesn't seem at all as bad.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »

Just today I watched two documentaries on the small Central Asian country of Tajikistan on YouTube.  I've read a little here and there on Central Asia and I've always thought they were Turkic in origin.  Tajikistan is predominantly Persian, they practice a mixture of Sunni Islam and nativist religion, and they've recently dropped the Russian suffix -ov from their names.  But what really amazed me was that some of them look Persian while others look Caucasian with blond hair and blue eyes.  I'm not sure I'd want to visit, but I have a new respect for Tajik's and their country.

Sounds interesting. Could you provide the links to the videos you watched? I'd like to check them out.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »

I must say that after watching this documentary Stalin's horrific reign surpasses the worst mass human experience that I could have imagined up until this point. Truly, the Romanian Ceausescu that I would know more about is nothing compared to Stalin. Even Hitler doesn't seem at all as bad.

As a Russian friend once said, "Hitler only killed his enemies. Stalin killed his friends, too." And, weirdly, Hitler was the only man Stalin ever trusted.

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 02:13:27 AM »

As a Russian friend once said, "Hitler only killed his enemies. Stalin killed his friends, too." And, weirdly, Hitler was the only man Stalin ever trusted.

Apparently, trusting Hitler is what almost caused the Russians to lose the war. This and other of his mistakes which caused some to say that "Russians won the war not because of Stalin, but in spite of Stalin." So, on one hand you have him killing everybody in his way by the tens millions (including friends and priests), using them for unimaginable labor, etc., and on the other hand you have him not even being able to secure his own life and almost destroying the very country that was supposed to worship him. Truly, a one man apocalypse.

Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 05:38:03 AM »

Not watching, but I like to recommend "Beyond Torture" about a communist prison camp in Pitesti, Romenia that was more than a prison, it was a place where they did experiments in brainwashing to try to create the "new man" by trying to destroy the personality of people.

http://youtu.be/9QGUTBXgz3g

Also "The Soviet Story" is very good, precisely in making the point that while we have rightfully put Nazism well into the side of evil in our culture and reference, Communism, which killed many more people, which was far more cruel, is still galmourized by many, while it should have the same cultural and historical treatment of Nazism.
http://youtu.be/udMOkD_nJSM
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:42:27 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 06:07:53 AM »

Three of my favorite documentaries:

When We Were Kings

Hoop Dreams

Man on Wire

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:05 AM »

Not exactly documentary, more a historical variety show, but I'm an enduring fan of Horrible Histories. As usual with series, though, I find it hard to keep track of it while it airs, so I invest in the DVDs. Looking forward to bagging myself series 4, as soon as I can scrounge up the dosh. Grin

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 10:22:42 AM »

The Joy of Country Music: A History

Everything about Country Music but were afraid to ask.  Smiley  It's better than I thought it would be.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »

"Into Great Silence" about the Carthusian monks was interesting.

My wife and I watched this a few months back and found it interesting, too.

Tags: documentary 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: