Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 443001 times)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #3015 on: January 07, 2017, 01:39:02 AM »
I was going to watch Saw II and Kingdom of Heaven, but at this rate that's not going to happen.

Don't waste your time with Kingdom of Heaven.

That's ominous. Explain why I shouldn't waste three hours of my lifespan on Kingdom of Heaven?

It's not historically accurate (surprise!). Still an absolutely beautiful piece of cinema, though, with one of the best soundtracks ever composed.

Are you kidding?  Yes, the historical inaccuracies (and that's putting it nicely; it's really historical revisionism) are bad and not really necessary for telling a good story, but the characters are 2 dimensional, the soundtrack is meh and the portrayal of Christians as nothing more than hypocrites and intolerant while the portrayal of their Muslim counterparts is sympathetic makes this more of a propaganda film than a pseudo-historical epic.
I haven't watched the movie, but I will say this:
While I believe that modern scholars' sympathy for Saladin and demonization of King Richard are a bit biased and unfair, the distinction between the way Richard treated his hostages and the way Saladin did cannot be ignored.

There are times when Muslims are better Christians than we are... and those were it.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." (St. Manuel II Palaiologos)

"Do not be ashamed to enter again into the Church. Be ashamed when you sin. Do not be ashamed when you repent." (St. John Chrysostom)

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3016 on: January 07, 2017, 01:45:56 AM »
Phantasm 2 on the big screen
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #3017 on: January 07, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
I was going to watch Saw II and Kingdom of Heaven, but at this rate that's not going to happen.

Don't waste your time with Kingdom of Heaven.

That's ominous. Explain why I shouldn't waste three hours of my lifespan on Kingdom of Heaven?

It's not historically accurate (surprise!). Still an absolutely beautiful piece of cinema, though, with one of the best soundtracks ever composed.

Are you kidding?  Yes, the historical inaccuracies (and that's putting it nicely; it's really historical revisionism) are bad and not really necessary for telling a good story, but the characters are 2 dimensional, the soundtrack is meh and the portrayal of Christians as nothing more than hypocrites and intolerant while the portrayal of their Muslim counterparts is sympathetic makes this more of a propaganda film than a pseudo-historical epic.
I haven't watched the movie, but I will say this:
While I believe that modern scholars' sympathy for Saladin and demonization of King Richard are a bit biased and unfair, the distinction between the way Richard treated his hostages and the way Saladin did cannot be ignored.

There are times when Muslims are better Christians than we are... and those were it.

Yeah, Saladin only treated christians with compassion when he was paid to do so.  That's so much better.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Alxandra

• High Elder
« Reply #3018 on: January 07, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
The Book Thief :)
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #3019 on: January 07, 2017, 12:22:01 PM »
Yeah, Saladin only treated christians with compassion when he was paid to do so.  That's so much better.
Point taken.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3020 on: January 07, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3021 on: January 07, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »
The Book Thief :)
Good movie.

Heartbreaking, in places. I also highly recommend the book.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3022 on: February 05, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
Le passé. I was rather chuffed at the amount of French I can still understand.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3023 on: February 05, 2017, 08:53:48 PM »
Just the short film previews in the main commercials.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #3024 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »
Angel's Isle- (English subs) Предел Ангела Bolshevik assassin turned monk on Valaam.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"