OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:07:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music-Michael Card  (Read 273 times) Average Rating: 0
CharalambisMakarios

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Considering Orthodoxy

« on: June 28, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »

I'm curious, any other Michael Card fans here? I know he's not Orthodox, but his particular style of theology-as-story, and his Biblical basis for all his songs seems to fit very well with Orthodox faith in my opinion. His poetics also in many ways helped me to mesh well with the poetics of Orthodox liturgy.
littlepilgrim64

Faith: Protestant seeker

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »

I enjoy his music too; it puts me in a worshipful mood and I appreciate the depth of his lyrics. (I'm a Presby on a journey toward Orthodoxy).

"Do not cling with your heart to anything, and do not make it the god of your heart, for the sole God of our heart must be the Lord-God, Who created it: For our heart is His breath." ~ St. John of Kronstadt
CharalambisMakarios

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »

No way! Me too. How long has your journey been going on?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »

I think he's a talented individual, but his music never resonated with me. It comes off as a little pretentious. Not soulful enough for my tastes. But not much contemporary Christian music is. Just my opinion.

I had a good friend who played in Michael Card's band for a while. My friend was a Christian, but he was a very broken and hurt person (he died from alcoholism a few years ago). He was so excited when he joined Michael Card's band. I'd never seen him so happy. He looked up to Michael Card and thought touring with him would be a wonderful experience that would benefit him spiritually. But he said that Michael Card was very cold and aloof, and my friend became disillusioned with the whole experience.

I have no idea what kind of person Michael Card really is, and my friend's experience is in no way an objective indictment of Michael Card's character. But I confess that my love for my friend soured me a bit on Michael Card. Although my opinion about his music has nothing to do with that.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:48:36 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
CharalambisMakarios

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. May his memory be eternal.
littlepilgrim64

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »

Initially started around 2006 or so but my inquiry into Orthodoxy wasn't consistent through the years.  Over the last number of months I have been more on fire and hungry to know the truth. I attend liturgy when I’m able. We have a GOA church here in town and that’s where I’ve been visiting.  (An hour’s drive and further distances there are more GOA’s and churches under other jurisdictions in my area) Have been reading some books on my own and recently Father suggested a book on prayer for me to read.  I am following a simple prayer rule, using the little red Prayerbook for Orthodox Christians every day. 

Where are you in your journey?

"Do not cling with your heart to anything, and do not make it the god of your heart, for the sole God of our heart must be the Lord-God, Who created it: For our heart is His breath." ~ St. John of Kronstadt
littlepilgrim64

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »

I had a good friend who played in Michael Card's band for a while. My friend was a Christian, but he was a very broken and hurt person (he died from alcoholism a few years ago).

Sorry to hear about your friend.  He must have had many struggles in this life.  May he be at peace now.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »

Thank you littlepilgrim and Charalambis.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
CharalambisMakarios

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »

Initially started around 2006 or so but my inquiry into Orthodoxy wasn't consistent through the years.  Over the last number of months I have been more on fire and hungry to know the truth. I attend liturgy when I’m able. We have a GOA church here in town and that’s where I’ve been visiting.  (An hour’s drive and further distances there are more GOA’s and churches under other jurisdictions in my area) Have been reading some books on my own and recently Father suggested a book on prayer for me to read.  I am following a simple prayer rule, using the little red Prayerbook for Orthodox Christians every day. 

Where are you in your journey?

I started probably 2 years ago now, so 2012. I also attend liturgy when I'm able. I'm most interested in Syriac Orthodoxy for its Middle Eastern/Semitic connections, but those churches are hard to find outside of major urban centers. In the meantime, I've been attending Greek Orthodox churches and reading lots of literature on the subject. I've also connected with some Orthodox Christians on my college campus. I don't have a consistent prayer rule, but I do often pray parts the Syriac Divine Office in the morning and evening, along with frequent use of the Jesus Prayer.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 08:16:15 PM »

I'm curious, any other Michael Card fans here? I know he's not Orthodox,

Well I am shocked!

Cool

Seriously, though, you just made me think of a conversation I had in the late 90s with a fellow Catholic. We were discussion Michael Card and John Michael Talbot's "One Faith", and he said that he liked it in some ways, but didn't like a protestant singing it because non-Catholics cannot pray for Christian unity. (That's not an exact quote, but I'm sure it's pretty close to his words.) And this wasn't a hard-core traditionalist.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: