OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 27, 2015, 02:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ebooks, pdfs, etc. about Orthodoxy  (Read 1666 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: January 09, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »

Any suggestions about decent materials regarding Orthodoxy (whether explicitly or tangentially)? Format doesn't matter, as I can covert nearly anything to a Kindle friendly format. Blogs would fit in here as well.

The suggestions about anything from your favorite well-formated Bible to fiction.

The biggest concerns for me in terms of content are decent formatting and, if in translation, a good version.

I hope someone knows of a good electronic version of the Divine Liturgy and Great Vespers in English.

Many Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:42:50 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »

I just wanted to add in case I wasn't clear, I am not looking for general recommendations about where I can get such things, but rather specific materials you have had experience with in an electronic format.

Thanks again.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

fleem
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »

If you go to Google Books, I think you can find a good free copy of the service book by Isabel Hapgood. There are also increasing numbers of e-books on Orthodoxy coming out these days. I am reading "A Cloud of Witnesses," which is about Middle Eastern saints, and is by Bishop Demetri Matta Khoury; you can also find free PDF downloads of several collections of sermons by St. John Chrysostom, on Google Books. There is a Coptic website called Orthodox ebooks, which of course has plenty of Coptic books, other historical Christian texts and some fragments of saints' writings.

There's a U.K. store, Book Depository, which has some good Orthodox e-books. You can download from anywhere, naturally. Slight warning: some of the older and more scholarly books will cost a lot. More recent things will be average-priced, usually. Just what I've seen. Anyway, do a search for "Orthodox" there and you may find some things. 

Smiley

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »

avaxhome.ws - e.g. I found there "Beeing as Communion" by Zizioulas.
It's possible to get a lot of religious books there.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »

You can get the pamphlet Theosis: The True Purpose of Human Life in PDF format here.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Greywalk

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »

Found at Barnes and Noble...

The Pilgrim Way in ebook format
The Complete Philokalia also in ebook format.

I am reading The Pilgrim Way now, was availble for 9.99
The second book was .99 cents.  Which makes no sense because it is 10 times the size of the first book.  Like you I am always on the look out for ebooks since it is easier for me to carry a complete library to read from.  Smiley

Just a poor wayfaring stranger passing through (from an old American Folk song)
Greywalk

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:33:03 AM »

Found at Barnes and Noble...

The Pilgrim Way in ebook format
The Complete Philokalia also in ebook format.

The second book was .99 cents.  Which makes no sense because it is 10 times the size of the first book.  Like you I am always on the look out for ebooks since it is easier for me to carry a complete library to read from.  Smiley

Correction the credit card showed a charge of 9.99. Evidentally the first 9 was left off by the B&N site (I checked).  Still 9.99 is reasonable for the 1500 plus pages. Smiley

Just a poor wayfaring stranger passing through (from an old American Folk song)
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »

I was just as Barnes and Nobeland searched for Nook books under Orthodox Christianity and came up with this link:  http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?SRT=R&WRD=orthodox+christianity&STORE=EBOOK&SZE=10&SAT=1

There are quite a few books and even some prayerbooks and the General Menion by Orloff, as well as by St. Seraphim, St. John of Kronstadt, St. John Damascene, and St. John Chrysostom.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »

Bump.

Assume I've exhausted the still active links in this thread.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Now with bigger boots!

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »

Have a look here. (Use the 'publications in English' button, then navigate through the sidebar).

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Syriac.Aramaic

Faith: Christian Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »

here are a pdf about monasticism and this text, helped me a lot in the beginning of my road to become a monk.
http://www.monasteryofstjohn.org/documents/abbatialessays/Why_be_a_monk.pdf

Rejoice in the joy of our god.
Tags: ebook  kindle  nook  ereader 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: