OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous fantasy/sci-fi  (Read 773 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: June 24, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »

Please note the word "Miscellaneous". (I don't want this to turn into a Star Wars thread, or a Narnia thread, or a Hobbit thread, etc., since those threads already exist.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »

I need to get to work on some Dragon Quest fan fiction...  first story based on the world(s) of DW 1-3.
Didyma

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

St. Lawrence of Canterbury

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »

Uh…Homestuck is good.

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »

I've recently watched a handful of episodes of The Twilight Zone.

P.S. I mean the "original series", in case that wasn't clear.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »

^Some great episodes...
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »

Warhammer 40,000. Forgotten Realms. Dragonlance.

Where are my +1's?

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »

Forgotten Realms.

Where are my +1's?

Well, I enjoyed the Forgotten Realms based video games Pool of Radiance (PC/NES) and Curse of the Azure Bonds (PC), if that means a +1 Smiley
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 04:03:30 AM »

Legend of Drizzt is a pretty fun read.

Did try listening to the wheel of time first book but ugh, it was pretty boring.

Thank you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:27 AM »

Let's see ... in the past few months:

Finished Star Trek TOS and watched all of TAS.

First season of Young Justice.

Oh, and some Supernatural, though I have mixed feelings about that show -- I don't care for the way they appropriate Judeo-Christian elements.

sakura95
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic planning to switch to Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Rome(As for now)

Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »

I enjoy reading the Ranger's Apprentice series. I'm currently on the fourth book.

As for shows, I watched Jinrui Wa Suitai Shimashita(Humanity Has Declined), it is to this day the best Anime I watched given the Absurdist theme, Sci-Fi and Fantasy elements and the vibrant painting-like art style makes it stand up from all other normal Anime that was release at the time.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:41:01 AM by sakura95 » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:37 AM »

SF:  John Scalzi has written some good books that I enjoyed - Old Man's War and the others in that series.
Bujold's "Miles Vorkosigan" books

Bujold also has written some fantasy that is quite good The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls

Do you like serious or off-beat?  Terry Pratchett's "Disc World" has a good number of books that are entertaining reading and they're Fantasy as much as anything else.

Warning:  I've been reading SF/F for about 50 years which is a lot of books to urge on you.   Wink Grin

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »

Pratchett is awesome. So sad that his writing days are numbered. Sad

I'll leave aside the heavyweights that nearly everyone knows (Tolkien, Lewis, Martin, Jordan) and just mention a few favourites, with the caveat that I gravitate a lot towards urban fantasy, rather than the more traditional forms.

Jim Butcher is another favourite writer for the bulk of his work, best known for his Dresden Files urban fantasy series (15 novels and counting), but I definitely recommend his six-part Codex Alera, which is more classical fantasy with a Roman bend.

I'm fond of Kate Forsyth's six-volume heroic fantasy The Witches of Eileanan, although not many others have even heard of it (Australian author, yo).

Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone cycle is rather out of fashion right now, but don't let that stop you - it's awesome either way.

Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana is among my favourite novels of all time.

Tanith Lee's four-part Secret Books of Paradys are lovely, although her skill with sensual decadence may be a bit much for some. YMMV and all that.

China Mieville is, in my opinion, the closest we have to an heir to classical sci-fi's dystopias.

I'm leaving Neil Gaiman mostly out, because my favourite work of his was done in the graphic novel world (The Books of Magic and, of course, The Sandman). I just can't get fully into his longer works after those.

Still, my all-time favourite author remains Marion Zimmer Bradley, much more for the perfect blend of sci-fi and fantasy that is Darkover, than for her Avalon series.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »

Legend of Drizzt is a pretty fun read.

I read a bunch of Salvatore's Drizzt books back in my early teens and loved them (with a few caveats). I actually picked up like 10 of them for a couple dollars a while back at a flea market. The Dark Elf trilogy is forever the best.

I also liked Salvatore's (non-Forgotten Realms) Spearwielder's Tale trilogy, but I read that when I was like 14 or something.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »

Seeing as the conversation has turned to books, is anyone a fan of Madeleine L'Engle?

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 10:33:30 AM »

Pratchett is awesome. So sad that his writing days are numbered. Sad

Yes it is sad.  But he has left a great set of books with so much variety of characters and locations and situations and more.

Jim Butcher is another favourite writer for the bulk of his work, best known for his Dresden Files urban fantasy series (15 novels and counting), but I definitely recommend his six-part Codex Alera, which is more classical fantasy with a Roman bend.

I've read most of Butcher's books and enjoyed them.  Harry Dresden is quite the character.  Some here might find some of what he deals with ermm  disquieting.

Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone cycle is rather out of fashion right now, but don't let that stop you - it's awesome either way.
Tanith Lee's four-part Secret Books of Paradys are lovely, although her skill with sensual decadence may be a bit much for some. YMMV and all that.

Thank you for mentioning Moorcock.  Tanith Lee has written a number of SF such as Don't Bite the Sun and Drinking Sapphire Wine and the "S.I.L.V.E.R. Series" (two books with maybe a third at some point) and her re-working of some classic fairy tales in Red as Blood is quite good, I think.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 10:34:37 AM »

Seeing as the conversation has turned to books, is anyone a fan of Madeleine L'Engle?

I am.   

(the thread wasn't about books?!?   Huh Grin Cheesy  )

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »

I am.   

I've read A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. The last was a year or two ago, but I might get back into her books.

Hey, don't make me come over there!

But, truth is, I came close to specifying TV/movies in the OP, but then I thought "Oh, let's see how it goes if I leave it open."  Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »

I am.   

I've read A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. The last was a year or two ago, but I might get back into her books.

But, truth is, I came close to specifying TV/movies in the OP, but then I thought "Oh, let's see how it goes if I leave it open."  Smiley

OK  how about Babylon 5?  (I sometimes indulge in visual media    Cool Grin  )

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »

Never gets old. Grin

I loved Almost Human. Not chuffed at all when it was cancelled. Sad

All my favourite sci-fi shows have ended their runs - most recently Eureka, Warehouse 13, Alphas... We'll see if the upcoming season of Defiance will keep my interest. Otherwise, all I have to look forward to is the return of the Doctor.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 03:49:35 AM »

First season of Young Justice.

That second season ending is a travesty because we'll never get what was teased.

Thank you.
The Fool

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 03:53:08 AM »

Warhammer 40,000.

Where are my +1's?

+1, starting a game of the Rogue Trader tabletop RPG in the near future.

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »

Warhammer 40,000.

Where are my +1's?

+1, starting a game of the Rogue Trader tabletop RPG in the near future.

Rogue Trader is fun.  Played that for about a year but a baby (the GM's) is restricting time.  Played a game or two of Death Watch and have wanted to run Only War but don't have enough people.  Used to play Inquisitor from time to time.

The 40k fluff is very extensive and makes for good reading material.  Many of the Black Library books are good.  Just about to finish Fifteen Hours which is the first one that was more literature than fanfic.  Reminds me a lot of All Quiet on the Western Front...just with more Orks.  Only three real battles.  The style is kind of like Blood Meridian, though I couldn't finish Meridian and despite being 40k this book isn't half as grim...I think The Judge's indifferent violence and cruelty would make Asdrubal Vect lose his lunch.

Another 40k novel worth looking at is the Caiaphas Cain series.  It is obviously copying Flashman and adds a good bit of humour to situations which would generally be horrifying.

Arachne - love me some Dresden.  I might have to read the Codex Alera once I cut down my reading list some.  Waiting for Skin Game to come out in paperback.  Should be September, in time for my birthday.

One scifi author I am really starting to like is Orson Scott Card.  I have read both Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead and Speaker was one of the better books I have read in a long time.  I might read another 40k book (they are typically quick) and then hit up Children of the Mind and Xenocide.

Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »

I am.   

You Sir have good taste, Best Scifi tv series ever 

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »

Sir?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »

I've been away from Star Wars for a while, but yesterday I watched "Star Wars: The Clone Wars"   (the movie -- although I found it helpful to think of it not as a bad movie but as an extremely good fan fiction) and today "Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Season 1: 'Ambush'."   

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »

I still haven't seen "Edge of Tomorrow." It looked pretty good from the commercials. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »

I still haven't seen "Edge of Tomorrow." It looked pretty good from the commercials. Smiley

I've seen that, it's pretty good. Bones goes back in time, and Kirk and Spock have to prevent him from changing history.

alexpetros

Jurisdiction: OCA

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 11:00:24 PM »

TV:
  • Farscape
  • Stargate franchise
  • Terra Nova
  • Firefly

Book:
  • CS Lewis' Space Trilogy
  • Shades of Grey (not related at all to Fifty Shades of Gray!!!
  • Ender series

To name a few non big names Wink
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 07:31:56 AM »

I liked "Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle". (Watched it on Netflix.)

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »

I recently got a new Robin Hobb novel, and haven't had time to start it yet. I'm looking forward to it. Smiley

Also, I'd like to go to the library later, and see what new stuff they have.  Smiley I'm a library addict.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: