Author Topic: Orthodox Apps  (Read 601 times)

Offline Koliva

• Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria & All Africa
Orthodox Apps
« on: May 16, 2015, 05:12:58 PM »
Which Orthodox apps do you use? I use and recommend following apps for Android:

Ancient Faith Radio
Daily Readings Plus
Coptic Reader
Jesus Prayer Companion
ePostle
Pray Always!

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=orthodox&c=apps&hl=en

Also what new apps would you like to see developed? I you could design your own app what would it contain?

Offline Alxandra

• High Elder
Re: Orthodox Apps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »
I use Ancient Faith Radio :)
"Descend into your heart, and there do battle with Satan."
St Macarius the Great

Blog http://a-nastacia.tumblr.com/

Offline Koliva

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »
The Ancient Faith Radio app is da bomb 8)

There's some nice apps for Apple that I wish were available for Android :(

Offline Alxandra

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
The Ancient Faith Radio app is da bomb 8)

There's some nice apps for Apple that I wish were available for Android :(

I especially like all the live events :)
St Macarius the Great

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
Orthodox calendar (two different apps; in English)
Православни календар (in Serbian)
Orthodox online library (Arabic)
Orthodox prayers in Arabic (this one I strongly recommend for everyone that knows a bit this language, as it contains PLENTY of stuff)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Alxandra

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
There's another app called Prayer Book and it has plenty of prayers and psalms
St Macarius the Great

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
There's one called Orthodox Calendar which lists the saints of the day.

Offline Koliva

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 03:09:30 AM »
Orthodox calendar (two different apps; in English)
Православни календар (in Serbian)
Orthodox online library (Arabic)
Orthodox prayers in Arabic (this one I strongly recommend for everyone that knows a bit this language, as it contains PLENTY of stuff)

Some of the foreign language apps are impressive, someone even made an app for the Synekdemos:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gr.hatzigeorgiu.synekdemos&hl=en

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »
Greek ecclesiastical television has an app which live streams. The name of the channel (and app) is 4e.
'Η ἐλπίς μου ὁ Πατήρ, καταφυγή μου ὁ Υἱός, σκέπη μου τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον· Τριὰς Ἁγία, δόξα Σοι.

Offline Koliva

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »
I wish there were apps for:

The Dynamic Horologion & Psalter http://orthodox.seasidehosting.st/
Menologion 3.0 http://www.saintjohnwonderworker.org/menologian/

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03:43 AM »
I don't have a smartphone, and I don't spend my days plugged into my Kindle, so I'll pass on the sound apps. :) I do have a Greek-language portal with news and stories, though, as well as the GOA's reading of the day app.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Echa

• 그리스도께서 부활하셨네! 참으로 부활하셨네!
  • Jurisdiction: Partriarch of Moscow
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »
I have agpeya, coptic reader, pray always+, ancient faith radio, daily readings (all iphone/ipad apps)
Христос възкресе! Наистина възкресе!

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 09:07:04 AM »
Few Russian apps for American readers; many Greek and Coptic apps.....I just find it ironic as it flies in the face of chauvinism and hubris.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Joha

• High Elder
  • Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
I just find it ironic as it flies in the face of chauvinism and hubris.

How so? Isn't this just an answering to demand? I find very little app's in my language (Dutch) but I think that's just because the demand is low.

Or do I understand you wrong?
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
Psalm 57:2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.
You're big :P
The art of cherry picking

Offline Koliva

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »
Few Russian apps for American readers; many Greek and Coptic apps.....I just find it ironic as it flies in the face of chauvinism and hubris.

I dunno about chauvinism and hubris but yeah not enough Russian Orthodox apps in English, for instance there is, what looks like, a really good Menologion app but it's only in Russian.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:37:33 PM by Koliva »

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 08:02:02 PM »

How so? Isn't this just an answering to demand? I find very little app's in my language (Dutch) but I think that's just because the demand is low.

You are right...it is a market driven response. The number of Orthodox Greeks in America is greater per
http://hirr.hartsem.edu/research/quick_question17.html#table

Much news (propoganda?) on how well the Russians code plus all the cyber crime linked to their country, I would think there would be 'good guy' coders that would do a few apps for The Church and yet the few Orthodox apps there are for English practitioners.
No biggie, just funny.
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Joha

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »

You are right...it is a market driven response. The number of Orthodox Greeks in America is greater per

Much news (propoganda?) on how well the Russians code plus all the cyber crime linked to their country, I would think there would be 'good guy' coders that would do a few apps for The Church and yet the few Orthodox apps there are for English practitioners.
No biggie, just funny.

It's not only the amount of coders, that is after all the supply end of the deal. And yes there might be enough Orthodox people in Russia as well. But how many have smartphones (much needed for these apps) and how many of these use them for Church related apps. When the device is only seen as a communication device. or in some cultures it could be frowned upon to have Church related apps on a device like a phone. In some cultures fair might play a role in this, fair of who can see what apps you installed on this, by some less understood, device. Even these little things, among many more, different from culture to culture and from culture lived in an other culture, can make big differences.

But being part of the Coptic Church (in which people pretty much are glued to there smartphones) I actually have most Churchbooks as ebooks in my ebookreader on my phone. That way everything is nicely found in 1 spot.
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
Psalm 57:2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 08:31:35 AM »

No biggie, just funny.

It's not only the amount of coders, that is after all the supply end of the deal. And yes there might be enough Orthodox people in Russia as well. But how many have smartphones (much needed for these apps) and how many of these use them for Church related apps. When the device is only seen as a communication device. or in some cultures it could be frowned upon to have Church related apps on a device like a phone. In some cultures fair might play a role in this, fair of who can see what apps you installed on this, by some less understood, device. Even these little things, among many more, different from culture to culture and from culture lived in an other culture, can make big differences.
But being part of the Coptic Church (in which people pretty much are glued to there smartphones) I actually have most Churchbooks as ebooks in my ebookreader on my phone. That way everything is nicely found in 1 spot.

Would it be so bad to have the Divine Liturgy in a booklet so that newbies like me can follow well? Would it detract from worship?
If "yes" then you are right. But we are no longer an illiterate people. So if yes, then what's the difference if it from a piece of paper or electrons on a screen?

My iPad has an excellent Orthodox Study Bible in it, with daily prayers and follows the Greek Calendar for the Daily Gospel Reading. I have a Pray Always app,but Greek again. There are several Coptic apps, as you point out, but I've found no Russian apps in English.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »
Nobody listed the Holy Beard length and thickness app.......bunch of Baptists....

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Joha

• High Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »

No biggie, just funny.

Would it be so bad to have the Divine Liturgy in a booklet so that newbies like me can follow well? Would it detract from worship?
If "yes" then you are right. But we are no longer an illiterate people. So if yes, then what's the difference if it from a piece of paper or electrons on a screen?

My iPad has an excellent Orthodox Study Bible in it, with daily prayers and follows the Greek Calendar for the Daily Gospel Reading. I have a Pray Always app,but Greek again. There are several Coptic apps, as you point out, but I've found no Russian apps in English.

I don't say that the examples I gave were facts or views people have, I just could understand it happening that people in certain cultural settings have these views. By this I tried to show that there are many aspects that could be of influence in what is developed. What works in culture A doesn't have to work in culture B but could work in culture B within culture A or in any other fashion.

Offline Joha

• High Elder
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »
Nobody listed the Holy Beard length and thickness app.......bunch of Baptists....

PP

If that app exist I need it. If not it has t be developed... yesterday. :)

Offline Koliva

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »

There seem to be more Russian apps on Android than iPad/iPhone but still a great shortage of said apps in English. There is one calendar app that has options for Greek, Russian, Serbian and Antiochian styles. And the Pray Always app appears to be compiled mainly of ROCA, OCA and Antiochian texts, not seeing any GOA influence there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:48:51 AM by Koliva »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »
One more cool application, provided that you know a bit Arabic:
http://www.quartos.org.lb/iTypikon/litourgia.php

The description is also in English. For now maybe it's not so developed, but it's easy to notice they still be working on it.

It's great as it gives e.g the readings, the Liturgy, the morning prayers and so on according to the day (following new calendar), so it includes the proper tropario, icon etc. And e.g now it also gives you the text of the small and of the great paraklesis as it's Dormition Fast.

You can choose also the "perspective": priest, reader or layperson.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria