OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 03:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does the Eastern Orthodox Liturgy teach about the Virgin Mary?  (Read 278 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« on: March 23, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »

I'm actually starting this as a non-polemical thread in order to better understand the EO position on Mary. To that end, I am curious as to what the Eastern Orthodox liturgy teaches about Mary. Based on the Liturgy, is the reason to believe that...
1. As St. Gregory Palamas taught, Mary was sanctified from the time of her creation?
2. That Mary was sanctified in the womb?
3. That Mary was not sanctified until the time of the Annunciation?
4. That Mary was sanctified before and at the Annunciation?
5. That Mary lead a life entirely free of personal sin?
6. That Mary was always, from the time of her creation, being Divinized by the Energies of God?

Thanks for you responses. They are much appreciated.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »

I'm actually starting this as a non-polemical thread in order to better understand the EO position on Mary. To that end, I am curious as to what the Eastern Orthodox liturgy teaches about Mary. Based on the Liturgy, is the reason to believe that...
1. As St. Gregory Palamas taught, Mary was sanctified from the time of her creation?
6. That Mary was always, from the time of her creation, being Divinized by the Energies of God?

Just a suggestion that *may* shed a little light on your question about what the DL teaches about the Theotokos--go here (or any other site where you can see the text of the DL) http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/liturgy/liturgy.html, and do a control + F, enter the word "Theotokos", and see what comes up.  Interesting.  I don't know if it answers or even begins to address your questions 1-6, but very interesting nonetheless.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »

Just a suggestion that *may* shed a little light on your question about what the DL teaches about the Theotokos--go here (or any other site where you can see the text of the DL) http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/liturgy/liturgy.html, and do a control + F, enter the word "Theotokos", and see what comes up.  Interesting.  I don't know if it answers or even begins to address your questions 1-6, but very interesting nonetheless.
Thank you very much. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

I know this is Orthros, but they do have the 'Magnificat' during the Odes.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: