OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 08:44:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving on  (Read 493 times) Average Rating: 0
Ivanov

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

St Theophan the Recluse

« on: March 23, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »

Thank you for your admonition, JR. I failed in 2 (and probably more than 2) ways in saying what I wanted to say: FIRST, I'm sure my desire to make a good first impression, motivated by self-love and thinking somehow that I had a right to bemoan the 2 most prominent players in the Western demise...USA and RCC and, SECONDLY by referring to that AT ALL through my seeking to establish an analogy by stating facts re: the West as a basis for why I was "looking East". I can see how one, through a cursory reading, could assume anger and begrudging on my part. I purged (vomited out) my anger over a period of years, and ultimately, literally landed at death's door almost 3 years ago, so given that cartharsis, I think (and hope) I may have at least been able to speak dispassionately about the facts I mentioned.
 I think if we are honest we (ex-RC's) will still feel the wounds in those places deeply within us even as the scar tissue forms many years into our having become Orthodox. And I agree, continuing to forgive when memories momentarily revive will drive us yet deeper to repentance. But I think where I might disagree with your assessment is that you simply can't say to another 'refugee'  "put it behind you and move on" as though you are taking out the trash, which only requires a minute or so. I think human life and human beings are much more complex than that, and much more susceptible to pain and suffering and their aftermath. I'm sure we would both be dismayed if we had been the victim of robbers, left dying on the roadside, then watched the 'righteous' ones pass us by, and then to have the Good Samaritan stoop down to us and say "hey, put this behind you... at least you're still alive". Our Lord in this parable teaches (among other things) that TIME is involved in this man's healing and restoration by leaving him in the inn under the care of another until he, the Samaritan, returns. But enough said.

IMHO, I think we owe it to one another, when typing rather than speaking, as we do here, to make sure we have put away the lens of curiosity and taken up the humility of charity instead s we read. I have surely been guilty of this in the past and probably will to some degree in the future, Lord, have mercy.. The Great Harm that is overlooked is when we are content to let a brother 'go it' alone having lost sight of our true union by nature and especially by rebirth. We have all, RCC and Orthodox alike, failed to keep the "new commandment" of John 15:12. This, more than anything else... let me say it again,  this more than anything else, is what drove me away from the RCC, even more than the obvious things. Surely you understand. Leaving RCC’ism, esp. when it has been fully embraced, and becoming Orthodox is not, IMHO, the stuff that “tea chats” are made of. Those who share in this wounding, to greater and lesser degrees, should look at one another with a quiet and understanding acknowledgement and let Love heal us. If the Orthodox Church, for all that is right with it, fails in the “new commandment”, then it too is not a ‘refuge”… not the Inn where the Lord lays the forgotten.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply  Smiley

Sincerely, in Christ The Lord,

I.

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »

I am glad you wrote this and I will pray for your continued increase in faith.  angel

Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ivanov

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

Thank you, biro! for your understanding and prayers for me. I'll pray for you too with gratitude!

Sincerely yours, in Christ The Lord,

P. Ivanov

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »

May God bless you, Ivanov.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ivanov

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

Thank you, Αριστοκλής. May God bless you too... overwhelmingly! Just to be clear, the phrase "moving on" that I used doesn't mean I'm not becoming Orthodox, or that I'm leaving the forum. Just taking another step and grateful for love and kindness and challenge shown by new friends here.

Thanks. Glory to God... Glory!

Ivanov

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »

Thank you, Αριστοκλής. May God bless you too... overwhelmingly! Just to be clear, the phrase "moving on" that I used doesn't mean I'm not becoming Orthodox, or that I'm leaving the forum. Just taking another step and grateful for love and kindness and challenge shown by new friends here.

Thanks. Glory to God... Glory!

Ivanov
I understand being called to do more, love more.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
leap of faith

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »

Ivanov, I appreciated reading your heartfelt words.  Although I came to Orthodoxy from Protestantism, I relate to your message of pain past and present in my own way and from my own unique experiences.  May we all continue to help one another to find God's grace and healing from the Inn, the Church.  (I'm pleased to hear your clarification of "moving on."  Wink
Tags: Catholic to Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: