OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 04:25:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relativism is Sloth  (Read 523 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 22, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »

Many today indulge a notion that there is no absolute or unchanging truth to which we are summoned and must ultimately conform. This is relativism. And many who practice it actually congratulate themselves for their “tolerance” and open-mindedness. They think of their relativism as a virtue. But, more often than not, relativism is simply sloth masquerading as tolerance. The fact is, if there is a truth, (and there is), then I should joyfully seek it, and base my life on its demands and promises.

But many indulge the notion of relativism, for it is an easy way out. If there is no truth then I am not obliged to seek it, and base my life on it. Frankly many are averse to and sorrowful toward the truth for they find its demands irksome. This is sloth, for their sorrow is directed toward a very precious spiritual gift of God, the gift of truth. Instead of joyfully seeking the truth, the relativist is sorrowful and avoidant of the gift though they couch their sloth in other words such as “broad-mindedness” and “tolerance.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:03 PM »

And then there are relativist sloths:

http://vimeo.com/11712103

Sorry.  I couldn't help myself.   Smiley

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »

there's nothing relative about that sloth, he's absolutely adorable!  Kiss
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »

Many today indulge a notion that there is no absolute or unchanging truth to which we are summoned and must ultimately conform. This is relativism. And many who practice it actually congratulate themselves for their “tolerance” and open-mindedness. They think of their relativism as a virtue. But, more often than not, relativism is simply sloth masquerading as tolerance. The fact is, if there is a truth, (and there is), then I should joyfully seek it, and base my life on its demands and promises.

But many indulge the notion of relativism, for it is an easy way out. If there is no truth then I am not obliged to seek it, and base my life on it. Frankly many are averse to and sorrowful toward the truth for they find its demands irksome. This is sloth, for their sorrow is directed toward a very precious spiritual gift of God, the gift of truth. Instead of joyfully seeking the truth, the relativist is sorrowful and avoidant of the gift though they couch their sloth in other words such as “broad-mindedness” and “tolerance.”

I haven't read the entire article yet, but what you've posted here seems to accurately diagnose a great many young adults I work with.  Thanks for posting this and I intend on reading the whole article soon.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »

This is a really, really good article. It also enlightened me as to the meaning of the Greek word 'akidia,' or 'accidie' as it is often called. Usually this word is translated 'despondency' or 'sloth,' but I knew from reading the ascetic Fathers that these translations must be somewhat off the mark. My Liddell&Scott defines the word as 'carelessness' and 'indifference.'

He certainly is.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:41 AM »

"In effect we are hyper-stimulated in the modern world. Our frantic pace, endless interruptions, and the rich abundance of entertainment, fast-paced movies, video games, all are a feast for the eyes but they hyper-stimulate. From the time we awaken to our return to sleep there is almost never a moment of silence, or a time when we are not being bombarded by images, often flickering and quickly changing.

This hyper-stimulation means that when we come upon things like quiet prayer or adoration, or are asked to listen for an extended period, or when the imagery is not fast changing we are easily bored.

And boredom feeds right into sloth. The “still, small voice of God,” the quiet of prayer, the simple reading of Scripture and pondering its message, the unfolding of spiritual meaning through reflection, the slower joys of normal human conversation in communal prayer and fellowship…none of this appeals to many who are hyper-stimulated, and used to a breakneck pace. Sunday, once the highlight of the week for many (due to the music, the beauty of the liturgy, the hearing of the sermon, the joy of fellowship and the quiet of Holy Communion), is now considered by many as boring and about as appealing as getting a flu shot; a necessary evil at best.  Thus, sloth is fueled by the boredom our culture feels at anything not going 90 miles and hour."

I used to think this was an affliction suffered mostly by young people who are more adapt at technology.  But our fast-paced culture is beginning to affect people of all ages.  And it's not just movies, video games, the internet or other technology that feeds our stimulation.  Businesses in smaller communities are open longer to capture the late-night market that was somewhat rare just a decade ago.  Even the way in which we want our information has changed.  We want it in soundbites boiled down to bumper sticker simplicity.  It's not only affecting our spirituality, it's affecting our relationships with one another.  Progress is good, but at any cost?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:41:58 AM »

Another one:

http://slothville.com/post/18129296212/staring-down-a-sloth-heres-phil-the-cameraman-on

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 01:58:16 AM »

If I wrote a response to this article it'd be: dogmatism is sloth  Wink
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:01:26 AM »

If I wrote a response to this article it'd be: dogmatism is sloth  Wink

Interesting.  It's plausible.  Can you explain further?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:39 AM »

We can't look into everything, but certain things I think should have some importance to us, and one of those is our belief system/faith/etc. I think some people just take stuff for granted, because the Holy book/Faith group/whatever says they should believe it. But if someone is going to base their life, and even their eternal life, on something, it seems to me that they might want to try to understand it. So I guess I'm not speaking of dogmatism so much as blind faith in a dogma that has been handed to you.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:21:20 AM »

We can't look into everything, but certain things I think should have some importance to us, and one of those is our belief system/faith/etc. I think some people just take stuff for granted, because the Holy book/Faith group/whatever says they should believe it. But if someone is going to base their life, and even their eternal life, on something, it seems to me that they might want to try to understand it. So I guess I'm not speaking of dogmatism so much as blind faith in a dogma that has been handed to you.
Believing in something just because your daddy or culture did/does might be normal, but is fraught with problems.  Accidie, I concede, is plausible.  For example, if an idea or belief has been handed down to you and you don't somehow investigate it and make it your own, you could become apathetic about it.  Is that what you're saying?

Tags: sloth 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: