Author Topic: Confession: Armenian vs. Coptic  (Read 677 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is BeyoncĂ© Pad Thai
  • guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
Confession: Armenian vs. Coptic
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Why is it that the Coptic church has private confession and the Armenian church has just a general congregational confession?
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Confession: Armenian vs. Coptic
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
The Coptic Church also has a congregational confession, or at least remnant of it through the prayer of Absolution done by the priest at the Liturgy.

I can't speak for the Armenian Church, but isn't there a spiritual adviser or something you can talk to?  Or at the very least a godfather/godmother?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Confession: Armenian vs. Coptic
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »
VasnTearn explains confession in the Armenian Church here:,37654.msg597804.html#msg597804

It seems both private and public confession have always existed in the Armenian Church, with private confession being mandatory for very serious sins.

I think private confession became rare in the Armenian Church after the Genocide and resulting Diaspora, due to the lack of priests.  That's my understanding.  You can always ask your priest for a private confession.