OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:00:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Byzantine Chant in English!  (Read 5361 times) Average Rating: 0
kelfar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« on: October 13, 2004, 11:13:16 AM »

Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 12:40:31 AM by kelfar » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 11:24:35 AM »

Dude, no one wants to listen to your crappy music.

Just kidding, I haven't gotten the chance to listen yet, but I've been told it sounds great.  I highly recommend listening to his sample.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 11:32:50 AM »

Great news, Sub-deacon.
I've been to the site before and was most impressed. Now, more so - time to re-adjust the budget for another CD.

Thanks,
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 02:57:18 PM »

.+º+ä+¦+ä+º+Ã  +¦+ä+ë +Ã +Ã¥ +º+¬+¿+¦ +º+ä+ç+»+ë
Grin

Shoo hal gheibeh it'taweeleh, ya Kareem?  Ahlein feek minij'deed.  Keef sehtak w'seht il walid?

Quite impressive.  With the use of genuine Byzantine tones and with the Mediterranean 'Balamand' accents in this sample recording's English, it is quite surreal to listen to.  No offence to our American listmembers, but from the standpoint of phonetics, I find it difficult to react agreeably to the sound of North American English in Byzantine chant.  'Ethnic' or British-sounding English (the latter works surprisingly well in the Coptic Qud'das) always comes out much more interesting.

This combination of professionally executed Balamand-sounding chant and English is the most interesting twist on the exotic I'm come across for a while.  I see you were not joking, Kareem, when you insisted that English could adapt to proper Byzantine melodies and tonality.  A larger audio sample would be desirable and give more room for evaluation.

In IC XC
Samer

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 03:01:00 PM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 04:09:08 PM »

Ah, then Say'yedna George gets the credit.

I see at your site that we can expect a full liturgy C.D.  How soon is soon?

In IC XC
Samer
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »

I'll have to disconnect.

In IC XC
Samer
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 05:01:27 PM »

SamB,
I know it's hard to think about it, but asking some North American person to sing with a British or a Middle Eastern person speaking E as SL accent is just not possible.  You have to change your frame of mind to think of maybe even a new musical style.  For phonetics and pronuciation, we sing much differently than we speak.  There are many different things to consider like dipthongs, vowel sounds, vowel shapes and your mouth shape, altering the way certain consonants come across, etc.  And it is important, otherwise the words sound weird or not understandable, voices don't blend or other consequences.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 05:49:18 PM »

Dude did you hear the audio Demos?

Yes, and they sound good, but are only a minute or so.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 12:22:52 AM »

SamB,
I know it's hard to think about it, but asking some North American person to sing with a British or a Middle Eastern person speaking E as SL accent is just not possible.

Ha ha, a clever adjective for the Levantine manner of pronunciation.  Elisha, true, and that's obviously silly.  I'm not daft to advocate such of course, merely making an evaluation of the aesthetical qualities of said accents when put to music.

You have to change your frame of mind to think of maybe even a new musical style.  For phonetics and pronuciation, we sing much differently than we speak.

Such is the case in any language.  Music is a different phonetic medium than is speech.
A good demonstration of this is how some stutterers suddenly lose their speech impediment when they sing.

Sometimes, amusing cases of cross-over arise, such as Australian or British singers who sing in perfect 'American' (obviously there exists no uniform style to fully lump into that one category).  Someone once mentioned to me his visit to a club.  He was listening to one Asian performer - I can't remember of what background exactly - and realised that although he spoke little English and what English he could utter was done so in a typical 'ethnic' accent, he could sing Sinatra songs flawlessly, pronouncing the lyrics just like him.  

There are many different things to consider like dipthongs, vowel sounds, vowel shapes and your mouth shape, altering the way certain consonants come across, etc.  And it is important, otherwise the words sound weird or not understandable, voices don't blend or other consequences.

Obviously, it is a science with many elements.

In IC XC
Samer
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 12:55:03 AM »

I like the chant that Fr Seraphim Dedes has done in English, as well. I dont like his translations but the effort is solid:

http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/chant.asp#orthros

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 06:51:30 AM »

Re:

'Ethnic' or British-sounding English (the latter works surprisingly well in the Coptic Qud'das) always comes out much more interesting.

and

SamB,

I know it's hard to think about it, but asking some North American person to sing with a British or a Middle Eastern person speaking E as SL accent is just not possible.

For phonetics and pronuciation, we sing much differently than we speak.

Samer answer this:

Such is the case in any language.  Music is a different phonetic medium than is speech.

A good demonstration of this is how some stutterers suddenly lose their speech impediment when they sing.

Sometimes, amusing cases of cross-over arise, such as Australian or British singers who sing in perfect 'American' (obviously there exists no uniform style to fully lump into that one category).  Someone once mentioned to me his visit to a club.  He was listening to one Asian performer - I can't remember of what background exactly - and realised that although he spoke little English and what English he could utter was done so in a typical 'ethnic' accent, he could sing Sinatra songs flawlessly, pronouncing the lyrics just like him.

Exactly. I was going to write that a good singing voice for classical including liturgical music at least in English naturally sounds a lot like a BBC/Oxford English accent anyway. (One can turn that round and say that accent lends itself well to that kind of music!) I've noticed that live listening to American singers who aren't trying to put on an accent at all.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 12:13:33 PM »

Exactly. I was going to write that a good singing voice for classical including liturgical music at least in English naturally sounds a lot like a BBC/Oxford English accent anyway. (One can turn that round and say that accent lends itself well to that kind of music!) I've noticed that live listening to American singers who aren't trying to put on an accent at all.

That's because they are putting on an accent! American choirs are in general trained to make some adjustments toward BBC English, notably a slight roll to inner 'R's and softening of some dipthongs and the trailing 'R'. Accents do shift somewhat in singing, but even without that, American choirs would tend to sound a lot more like Tammy Wynette than Paul McCartney if they didn't compensate for it.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 12:15:53 PM »

We have had singers here at SVS that roll their r's when they sing. I think it has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever heard.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 12:16:56 PM »

All you're missing is an accordion and il sole mio or whatever that song is.

R
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 12:46:05 PM »

That's because they are putting on an accent! American choirs are in general trained to make some adjustments toward BBC English, notably a slight roll to inner 'R's and softening of some dipthongs and the trailing 'R'. Accents do shift somewhat in singing, but even without that, American choirs would tend to sound a lot more like Tammy Wynette than Paul McCartney if they didn't compensate for it.

Accents are definitely more malleable singing than speaking as Samer has described well.

I think anybody with a good ear singing that kind of music naturally ends up sounding close to BBC without putting on the full accent, just because it sounds better - that's what I was describing. You're right that choirs are taught to do some of that and the result is better.

Tammy Wynette? Yes, that's what the raw American voice sounds like to many Brits and Europeans. (American dog sounds like darg to British ears.)

Paul McCartney? I don't think a choir singing even in a modified Scouse accent like he has (or at least puts on - some say Sir Paul really has a London accent now) would sound too pretty: 'I lift oop my eyes ernto the hills: from whence coometh me help.'

We have had singers here at SVS that roll their r's when they sing. I think it has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever heard.

AFAIK the main distinction in Byzantine Rite singing, at least in the Russian recension, is between choral singing and kliros singing. The latter, often recto tono (monotone) or nearly so, is supposed to be in a soft, flat vibratoless voice so exaggerated rolled r's in that would be out of place. (Not to be confused with the clicked initial or inner r you sometimes hear older English people or non-native speakers use, which sounds fine.)

In choral singing in English no problem - I think that would use the same kind of voice as Anglican choral stuff. True of the Western-style choral works by Russian composers, the staple of Russian Orthodox churches.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 02:45:30 PM by Serge » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 12:50:08 PM »

Serge,

I was talking about in choral stuff. It is so distracting when the person next you is singing r's differently than the rest of the people.  Also when I am in the audience it's distracting because it sounds so artificial to me. I know that choruses do that in America sometimes (at the Catholic Basilica in DC they do) but to me it's just not natural to be effecting sounds we do not use in normal English solely for the purpose of singing.  If they do it in Anglican Churches and that's how they've always done it, that's fine, I would probably have grown up with that and be used to it Smiley  But it is just really distracting to hear it in an Orthodox Church during services.  Makes me wonder if we are singing to pray or singing to perform.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 01:02:40 PM »

I wish the samples were longer because I really enjoyed them.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 01:03:40 PM »

They're good.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 04:23:16 PM »

My priest does this every Vespers; it makes me smile:

"The prrrokimenon in the nth. tone...."

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 06:17:03 PM »

I was talking about in choral stuff. It is so distracting when the person next you is singing r's differently than the rest of the people.

Well you know, Slavic Orthodox folk have a big problem with that in terms of the "Gospod"/"Hospod" thing. And you know what? They don't care!! I wasted a lot of time trying to get the Slavic Male Chorus to all sing one way. THey just won't do it.

If they do it in Anglican Churches and that's how they've always done it, that's fine, I would probably have grown up with that and be used to it Smiley  But it is just really distracting to hear it in an Orthodox Church during services.  Makes me wonder if we are singing to pray or singing to perform.

Anastasios, that's how I can tell you aren't a choral person. They aren't different. If you are singing in public, you are singing to the edification others-- that's a performance.

As far as pronunciation, don't blame it on the Anglicans. The alterations of the 'R' sound are specifically intended to compensate for an American tendency to practically swallow the tongue when singing the sound. It's just something that naive American singers do (along with pushing too much sound out their noses). American singers also have very mushy diction unless they overpronounce consonants in the direction of BBC English. All choirs are taught to do this because otherwise they are unintelligible.

The affectation of ostentatiously rolled Rs is an overcompensation at best, but then, it wouldn't surprise me to see it at a seminary.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 06:52:40 PM »

Makes me wonder if we are singing to pray or singing to perform.

Anastasios

Why would there be a difference? It reads like singing to pray is somehow less careful then singing to perform.

For some of us, singing liturgical music and hymns is praying with a deeper worship then if we just spoke the words.  And when we sing we try to do our best for God.  In our choir we do our best so that others can, maybe, be lifted in prayer with the music as well.  It's not like singing in a coffeehouse or on stage, even if you do your best there, too.  

I assure you that I give my all singing something like "Humbly I adore Thee" that I don't put into "Rolling Down to Old Maui" even though I try to do both as well as I can.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 07:16:43 PM »

Anastasios

The 'R' is supposed to be 'fliiped' as opposed to heavily rolled.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 08:33:04 PM »

As far as pronunciation, don't blame it on the Anglicans. The alterations of the 'R' sound are specifically intended to compensate for an American tendency to practically swallow the tongue when singing the sound. It's just something that naive American singers do (along with pushing too much sound out their noses). American singers also have very mushy diction unless they overpronounce consonants in the direction of BBC English. All choirs are taught to do this because otherwise they are unintelligible.

S+¼, a punto.

The 'R' is supposed to be 'flipped' as opposed to heavily rolled.  

That's it, the flipped r. That's what I meant by 'clicked' r.

penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 10:05:57 PM »

Does anyone know other links to files like these?  I liked these ones, and I wasjust wondering if anyone knows where some more can be found.

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 11:12:06 PM »

Well you know, Slavic Orthodox folk have a big problem with that in terms of the "Gospod"/"Hospod" thing...

Oh when ever I  went to a UGCC Monastery around here[yes a monastery in the middle of the city] the Ukrainian priests would always say "michihan" instead of michigan, or hamtramck hamtremicko
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2004, 09:22:15 AM »

Funny how hard vs. soft g skips around geographically in Slavic languages - in CatholicEagle's Poland the g is there - the genitive ending -skiego for example. I think the various Balkan Slavs in southeastern Europe all pronounce the g hard too. Then in the Ukraine, the Czech Republic and Slovakia it becomes an h. (Odd, because while Czech and Slovak are nearly the same language, Ukrainian is a transitional language betwee Polish and Russian, both of which usually pronounce the g.) Parts of southern Russia proper like around Rostov-on-the-Don (knew somebody from there) make it an h too, but in most of Russia it becomes a g again! (Much of the time anyway - when it's not stressed, such as in the genitive endings, it softens to a v sound - -¦-¦-+ is 'yiVO'. But in Slavonic the gs are supposed to be pronounced all the time: 'yehGO'. The e gets its full value too. Exception: God, -æ-+-¦-è, is Boh with kind of a hard kh sound for the g. Slavonic sometimes seems easier to hear and understand than Russian because compared to Russian it's overpronounced.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 12:33:18 PM by Serge » Logged

penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2004, 11:52:40 AM »

What files are you talking about?
Assuming this is to me, I was looking for some more Byzantine/Russian music sites in general.  I was wondering if there were some more links on other threads here or if anyone knew some links that they could post on this thread.

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2004, 03:59:38 PM »

Well you know, Slavic Orthodox folk have a big problem with that in terms of the "Gospod"/"Hospod" thing. And you know what? They don't care!! I wasted a lot of time trying to get the Slavic Male Chorus to all sing one way. THey just won't do it.Anastasios, that's how I can tell you aren't a choral person. They aren't different. If you are singing in public, you are singing to the edification others-- that's a performance.

I don't agree.  A choir in an Orthodox Church is supposed to lead others in prayer (and hopefully they are singing along too). It is not supposed to be the focus of the people. We are told specifically at SVS that we are NOT to be performing but leading a prayer.  Choral people told us this. If you have an issue with the dichotomy, please take it up with them.

The affectation of ostentatiously rolled Rs is an overcompensation at best, but then, it wouldn't surprise me to see it at a seminary.

Not everyone does it at the seminary, just some. And it is precisely this overcompensation that I have the issue with, not clear diction.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 04:00:33 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2004, 04:02:16 PM »

Why would there be a difference? It reads like singing to pray is somehow less careful then singing to perform.

For some of us, singing liturgical music and hymns is praying with a deeper worship then if we just spoke the words.  And when we sing we try to do our best for God.  In our choir we do our best so that others can, maybe, be lifted in prayer with the music as well.  It's not like singing in a coffeehouse or on stage, even if you do your best there, too.  

I assure you that I give my all singing something like "Humbly I adore Thee" that I don't put into "Rolling Down to Old Maui" even though I try to do both as well as I can.

Ebor

Well, I think that people naturally assume a different posture outside of liturgy.  If I have a choral concert in a concert hall singing Church music it is not the same thing as in Church.

I am merely stating what I was taught here at SVS in this case. If they are wrong, then that's why I am wrong Smiley

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »

PS,

I only brought Anglicans into the mix because Serge stated:

"In choral singing in English no problem - I think that would use the same kind of voice as Anglican choral stuff. True of the Western-style choral works by Russian composers, the staple of Russian Orthodox churches."

And I was taking his word on it.  I wasn't blaming Anglicans and if fact I said if they do it it's fine because that must be their tradition. If you would like to correct me on my statements please do so in context Smiley

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: