Author Topic: Atheists Can Now Unbless Things!  (Read 616 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
Atheists Can Now Unbless Things!
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
Florida church responds to 'unblessing' of highway, says atheist group is desperate for attention

An associate pastor at a Florida church is questioning the washing away of a blessing placed upon a local highway by a religious group, saying the organization is "desperate for a little attention" for its cause.

Glen Copple, an associate pastor at Northside Christian Church in Lakeland, said Saturday's symbolic cleanup of holy oil by the Humanists of Florida was a "ludicrous" event that solely sought publicity...
"I try to be good hard worker man, but refrigemator so messy... so, so messy."

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
Re: Atheists Can Now Unbless Things!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
If they don't believe that blessing things does anything, why do the feel the need to unbless something?
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
If they don't believe that blessing things does anything, why do the feel the need to unbless something?
Good point. I would imagine that if something good came about from the blessing of that road.  the Christians would use it as a evidence that their god exists. Even a coincidental event could yield those results.
Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »

Because they are petulant children, many of whom seek to make the case that they are much cleverer than us by demonstrating that the true situation is quite the reverse?
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline xariskai

• юродивый/yurodivy
  • OC.net guru
  • יהוה עזי ומגני
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
I thought some atheists already had this ability.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:15:31 PM by xariskai »

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
So, if I sneeze, and a believer says, "Gesundheit," and then an atheist unblesses it, do I have to hear "Gesundheit" again? :police:

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
They need to stop living there lives in reaction to something they don't like and just persue what they do. Your just as much a slave in constant opposition to something, I think, as they may fear they would be, to be a slave of that something.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
So, if I sneeze, and a believer says, "Gesundheit," and then an atheist unblesses it, do I have to hear "Gesundheit" again? :police:
"Gesundheit" has no religious conotation. It means "to your health".

What's an evangelical church doing with "holy oil" anyway? Did they highjack a delivery of chrism from one of the patriarchs to a local church?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:59:24 PM by Tallitot »
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »
There is a possible a rationale for this event that was not covered by the TV station source:

http://thatweirdatheistgirl.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/atheists-un-anoint-roadway-but-why/

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
^There is a swear in that link in case anybody's gonna freak out about that, just FYI.

I guess that makes the whole thing seem worth protesting, but I don't think this was the right way to go about it.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
There is a possible a rationale for this event that was not covered by the TV station source:

http://thatweirdatheistgirl.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/atheists-un-anoint-roadway-but-why/

Thank you for this! :)
"I try to be good hard worker man, but refrigemator so messy... so, so messy."

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »

I just can't be upset about atheists "un-blessing" the work of misguided so-called Christians.  Both the blessing and the so-called "un-blessing" are meaningless from our POV, anyway.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »

I just can't be upset about atheists "un-blessing" the work of misguided so-called Christians.  Both the blessing and the so-called "un-blessing" are meaningless from our POV, anyway.

Indeed and as unrepresentative of Christianity or the ab sense thereof, as that other famous Floridian pastor who burned the Koran. Some folks just crave publicity!