OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 02:38:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheists Can Now Unbless Things!  (Read 566 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: March 19, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »

Florida church responds to 'unblessing' of highway, says atheist group is desperate for attention

An associate pastor at a Florida church is questioning the washing away of a blessing placed upon a local highway by a religious group, saying the organization is "desperate for a little attention" for its cause.

Glen Copple, an associate pastor at Northside Christian Church in Lakeland, said Saturday's symbolic cleanup of holy oil by the Humanists of Florida was a "ludicrous" event that solely sought publicity...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »

If they don't believe that blessing things does anything, why do the feel the need to unbless something?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »

If they don't believe that blessing things does anything, why do the feel the need to unbless something?
Good point. I would imagine that if something good came about from the blessing of that road.  the Christians would use it as a evidence that their god exists. Even a coincidental event could yield those results.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »

Because they are petulant children, many of whom seek to make the case that they are much cleverer than us by demonstrating that the true situation is quite the reverse?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »

I thought some atheists already had this ability.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:15:31 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »

So, if I sneeze, and a believer says, "Gesundheit," and then an atheist unblesses it, do I have to hear "Gesundheit" again? police
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »

They need to stop living there lives in reaction to something they don't like and just persue what they do. Your just as much a slave in constant opposition to something, I think, as they may fear they would be, to be a slave of that something.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »

So, if I sneeze, and a believer says, "Gesundheit," and then an atheist unblesses it, do I have to hear "Gesundheit" again? police
"Gesundheit" has no religious conotation. It means "to your health".

What's an evangelical church doing with "holy oil" anyway? Did they highjack a delivery of chrism from one of the patriarchs to a local church?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:59:24 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »

There is a possible a rationale for this event that was not covered by the TV station source:

http://thatweirdatheistgirl.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/atheists-un-anoint-roadway-but-why/

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »

^There is a swear in that link in case anybody's gonna freak out about that, just FYI.

I guess that makes the whole thing seem worth protesting, but I don't think this was the right way to go about it.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »

There is a possible a rationale for this event that was not covered by the TV station source:

http://thatweirdatheistgirl.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/atheists-un-anoint-roadway-but-why/

Thank you for this! Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »

I just can't be upset about atheists "un-blessing" the work of misguided so-called Christians.  Both the blessing and the so-called "un-blessing" are meaningless from our POV, anyway.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »

I just can't be upset about atheists "un-blessing" the work of misguided so-called Christians.  Both the blessing and the so-called "un-blessing" are meaningless from our POV, anyway.

Indeed and as unrepresentative of Christianity or the ab sense thereof, as that other famous Floridian pastor who burned the Koran. Some folks just crave publicity!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: