OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:30:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entering the catechumenate  (Read 2586 times) Average Rating: 0
Tony

« on: November 30, 2002, 04:26:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2002, 06:17:51 PM by Tony » Logged
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 05:55:03 PM »

Dear Anthony,

God be with you as you enter the catechumenate!

I am new to the forum and to Orthodoxy having been received into the catechumenate in September of this year. I took the name of St Brigid of Kildare, the "Mary of the Gael" as I live in Ireland. Ours is a ROCOR mission parish established 3 years ago.

I will be praying for you,

God bless you,

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 06:38:37 PM »

Welcome both of you and congrats! You have my prayers. God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 09:02:36 PM »

May I add my welcome to the OrthodoxChristianity.net community from Nicholas to both of you and offer my congratulations upon your entry into the Catechumenate.  May I assume that each of you will be formally received into the Church on the Feast of our Lord's Nativity or thereabouts?

Hypo-Ortho
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 09:09:58 PM »

While we are on the subject I just became a Catechumen on November 14th, and I will be entering Orthodoxy via the GOAA.  There is no date set for my entry (although my priest said about 3-4 months) as my priest want me to move at my own pace and make sure this is what I really am called to do.  In the meantime I am enjoying learning about the faith and waiting with much joy until the day I shall be Orthodox.

Catechumen Derek
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 09:27:47 PM »

While we are on the subject I just became a Catechumen on November 14th, and I will be entering Orthodoxy via the GOAA.  There is no date set for my entry (although my priest said about 3-4 months) as my priest want me to move at my own pace and make sure this is what I really am called to do.  In the meantime I am enjoying learning about the faith and waiting with much joy until the day I shall be Orthodox.

Catechumen Derek  

Welcome and congratulations, Derek.  Is the "GOAA" the same as the "GOA" (Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America)?  Or does it refer to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia?  The priest instructing you seems to be very wise in not rushing you through the Catechumenate.

Hypo-Ortho
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2002, 09:49:52 PM »

My chrismation date isn't set yet, but it shouldn't be very far off. I am hoping to be received in time for Theophany if all goes well.

In Christ,
Anthony

Holy Theophany is a perfect time for a Baptism or a Chrismation, Anthony.  God willing, may it be so for you!  My prayers are with you.

Hypo-Ortho
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2002, 12:34:34 AM »

<<Welcome and congratulations, Derek.  Is the "GOAA" the same as the "GOA" (Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America)?  Or does it refer to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia?  The priest instructing you seems to be very wise in not rushing you through the Catechumenate.>>

Thanks, Hypo-Ortho.  I meant to have typed GOA for the Greeks in America.  Indeed my priest is very wise and has been an awesome spiritual guide on this journey.  I come from a Roman Catholic background and Father is a convert from Roman Catholicism, so he has been very helpful in that area.  I would be ready to convert at this very instant, but I am really enjoying this period of getting to know the Church.  Today I got to see a baptism for the first time and tomorrow I will go to a monastery for the first time.  If you could keep my spiritual guides in your prayers and me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Derek
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 08:43:04 PM »

Derek and Anthony,

I hope your time in the catechumanite is edifying and serves to prepare well for entry to the Church.  My priest usually likes to chrismate twice a year (at Holy Saturday and Nativity) and thus he usually has a three month inquirers class followed by a three month catechumans class, similar to the format of the tapes made by the former OCA priest, Fr. David Anderson (the tape series is wonderful by the way, you can order it from Orthodox Christian Cassettes if you are interested).  

My own period as a catechuman was almost a year, as I started the class midway and the priest and I decided that it would be best to go through the entire process.  Looking back four years ago I can see the wisdom in this.  Some are ready sooner than others.  We have one gentleman who has been a catechuman for over two years now...he does not want to cause strife with his wife and kids(who do not embrace Orthodoxy and wish to remain Presbyterian) and this pace is what he needs.  On the opposite extreme we helped to bring in a former EOC mission into the OCA and my priest only had to catechize the members briefly as they had already received much of the faith.  

What I am saying in my overly-lengthy post is that I wish both of you well and hope that you stay as catechumans as long as you and your priest decide is necessary.  

Also, Brigid, welcome to the site.  If you would like at some point I would love for you to post a thread about Orthodoxy in Ireland.  Being of Irish descent, this is a subject close to my own heart.  God Bless all of you!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2002, 03:53:55 PM »

Thank you Amator Deus for your suggestion about a thread on Orthodoxy in Ireland. I can recommend our parish web site to you which details the progress of our mission here in Belfast, Northern Ireland but also links to all the other Orthodox churches throughout the island of Ireland. If you are interested in Celtic saints you will also enjoy those pages too. The url is http://www.orthodoxireland.com and I hope you'll enjoy it. By the way, the writing surrounding your cross is in Welsh rather than Irish.

I think that Orthodoxy has a lot to offer to the people of Ireland, for one thing it is helping us to rediscover our own native saints. It is wonderful to see how highly Saint Patrick is esteemed by the Orthodox, indeed the latest booklet on Saint Patrick published by the Catholic Truth Society even uses a modern Orthodox icon of him as its front cover!  I also feel that being neither Catholic nor Protestant Orthodoxy is in a unique position in Ireland, where I am sure you know we have an explosive (literally!) mix of religion, nationality and ethnicity. So, renewal and healing are the main things I think Orthodoxy offers to Ireland.

I have found this entering the catechumenate thread most interesting, I was received into the catechumenate in September (I'm a former RC) and thought I would need a long period of preparation for baptism. I'm interested to see that people are talking in months rather than years!

Thank you all for your friendly welcome to this list,

le ghra Chriost

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2002, 04:57:26 PM »

Catechumen Anthony!  Grin

May God grant you Many Years and may the Holy Theotokos protect on your continuing Journey!!!

Peace,
                                      Brian

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
althea

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 12:20:44 PM »

I just became a catechumen and am having a lot of questions that were bugging me for years answered!
I am scared about converting (I was a lapsed Catholic) but also excited.  I never bought their teachings about limbo etc and that is part of what pushed me away from churches.
To me the Orthodox church makes sense, and is logical.

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: