OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering doing a Heavy Metal project  (Read 643 times) Average Rating: 0
Protoevangel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: March 18, 2012, 11:59:56 PM »

I've actually been working quite a bit on it lately.

While speaking with my priest today, I showed him the lyrics I've been working on, the band name ideas, and some of the sounds I've put together so far. He was very pleased, and gave me his blessing to continue.

Once I have the songs copyrighted, I'll post them in full. In the meantime, I'd like to share some pre-edited snippets, and a demo cd cover that I may utilize, but I'll probably change the band name, because I've already found another band out there with the same name (although they may be disbanded, I couldn't tell).

Lyrics:
Quote from: Rembrance of Death
I ask Saints and Angels too
And Virgin Mother with Heaven's womb
Pray with me and guide me through
Else I lead myself to Doom

Quote from: still untitled
Accepting life from the spoon
Eucharist Divine
Share this life with the world
Leaving self behind

Help me Lord, make me worthy
I can't do alone
When I try my coffin calls
Demons grind my bones

The demo CD cover:

For those who don't know what a Devil Theory is:
devil theory
noun
: a theory of history: political and social crises arise from the deliberate actions of evil or misguided leaders rather than as a natural result of conditions
We know that all evil in the world is caused by evil or misguided actions, whether by leaders or others. The name just felt right. Father liked it too, but like I said, it may be taken, I'll have to do some more research. I still have a few more band names on my list.

Oh yea, I've been playing with open source music clips to approximate the music I want. Once I have people who know what they are doing, i want to have them listen to it, but then make it their own. Here's the first 16 seconds of Remembrance of Death: http://www.dmhead.us/Remembrance_of_Death_intro.mp3

Does anyone have any interest? Thoughts or ideas?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:02:28 AM by Protoevangel » Logged

"The unholy doubt, not because they are ostensibly more rational, but because they are unholy.
The holier man is always the more rational, for in the clear mirror of his heart he sees the truth.
"
-- St. Nicholai of Ohrid
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:40 AM »

As a long time and serious fan of metal, and as an Orthodox Christian, I have to beg you to stop while you still can.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »

As a long time and serious fan of metal, and as an Orthodox Christian, I have to beg you to stop while you still can.
As one working to fit into both of those categories, I'd have to concur.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Protoevangel

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »

The feedback so far has been quite sensible, probably the best advice I could get.

The thing is, I may change the lyrical format of the project, or possibly even decide to put my poems/lyrics to non-metallic music... But just stopping isn't an option, unless my Spiritual Father advises it, but he is encouraging of the project moving forward.

"The unholy doubt, not because they are ostensibly more rational, but because they are unholy.
The holier man is always the more rational, for in the clear mirror of his heart he sees the truth.
"
-- St. Nicholai of Ohrid
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »

There's a band called Unleashed, who did an album called "Eastern Blood- Hail to Poland." Lots of metal groups write songs about their heritage. If you go to Metalhit.com, there's a free collection called Folk Metal. It's not folk music, it's metal about themes in folklore and history. Something interesting, if you want to check it out.  Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »

Count me interested. I don't have as much of an issue with the idea (mostly lyrics?) as some others here, though that may not be saying a lot Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
Protoevangel

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »

Count me interested. I don't have as much of an issue with the idea (mostly lyrics?) as some others here, though that may not be saying a lot Smiley
Thank you Asteriktos. I'm still slowly working on new lyrics. One Orthodox brother has offered to do guitars.

The idea of up-front Orthodox lyrics actually gave me pause for quite a while. But I know the Church to be the Bride of Christ. I love her for that, and for deigning to allow me, chief of sinners, to come under her wing, and even to be one with her, and with Christ Himself. I also have always had an affinity to heavy metal, and I had the first album of each of the big 4 the month they were released, it's all I spent my money on at the time... besides partying. Anyway, I got out of the overtly Satanic metal years before I was a Christian. It just got silly and insipid to me. When I became Christian, I was pretty pietistic, and gave up Heavy Metal, until I was introduced to Demon Hunter. Yea, they were the first Christian Metal band I had heard of, since Stryper (I never really paid any attention to Tourniquet, Mortification, etc, in their time, but I like them now). But I was back!

If God cannot be praised with Heavy Metal music, then there really is something inherently wrong with the music; if Orthodox truth cannot be given through this medium, then the medium can't be part of the life of someone who is trying to focus on Theosis. Now, if i'm going to open my lungs to sing, it will be praises to my God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and to His Holy Saints. I can't apologize for that. If I can't do that to fast, heavy beats with downtuned guitars... then it's the fast, heavy beats with downtuned guitars that will have to go. For me, this is kind of what it all comes down to.

Of course, this is not music to be played in a Church, no more than David's near-naked dancing belonged in the Temple (2 Samuel 6)... But God-pleasing that was, and if this has no fans on earth, I still can only sing what is in my heart to sing. If later, I find the talent and grace to branch out lyrically, then praise God, as long as what I write conforms to the Truth, maybe I can learn to be more artistic and symbolic to paint subtler pictures. I admit to be a talentless hack. Maybe the call to stop was to save me from embarrassing myself. If so, that is merciful. But I have decided to take this as far as getting a few songs recorded, mixed, and given away.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:07:28 AM by Protoevangel » Logged

"
-- St. Nicholai of Ohrid
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »

I've always been one to believe in trying to integrate my faith into everything I did. True there are objections, but...but what are the objections exactly? Huh

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »

Proto, have you done metal before?
Protoevangel

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »

Proto, have you done metal before?
I founded a band with a friend in High School. We called ourselves Savage Damage. He played Bass, and I sang. We recruited a drummer and later, a guitarist. The problem was, the town was tiny (my graduating class was 35 students), so we could only find one guitar player who would even consider doing heavy metal, and he said he would only play if he could be the singer as well, so I stepped down, and was basically the song writer and 'co-manager'. The guitarist graduated that year, and shipped off to the army, and we were stuck without a guitarist, so nothing much happened after that.

So... I was more-or-less involved, for a year, many years ago, but I've never played a gig (supported the band at gigs, though).

"
-- St. Nicholai of Ohrid
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »

I've always been one to believe in trying to integrate my faith into everything I did. True there are objections, but...but what are the objections exactly? Huh

The worst of both worlds.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »

I third this. Sorry M8.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Protoevangel

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »

I third this. Sorry M8.

PP
No reason to be sorry. I put this out there for feedback. Constructive feedback is usually most appreciated, or at least some sort of rational discourse on the reason for nay-saying... But an opinion is still an opinion, and I do appreciate you weighing in.

"
-- St. Nicholai of Ohrid
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »

So forgive me for being dense, but you all are objecting to the mix of metal and Orthodoxy or you fear for the quality of the product?

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »

So forgive me for being dense, but you all are objecting to the mix of metal and Orthodoxy or you fear for the quality of the product?

If the OP wants constructive criticism, we can go with the latter. But the former is not without merit as well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »

If the OP wants constructive criticism, we can go with the latter. But the former is not without merit as well.

Dude, I love the way you post sometimes.   laugh

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: