OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:45:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Innaugural Clergy-Laity Conference of the GOC a Success  (Read 2546 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:36:45 PM »

Holy Metropolis of the Genuine Greek Orthodox Church of America

Cathedral of Saint Markella of Chios
22-68 26th Street
Astoria, N.Y. 11105

October 12, 2004

NEWS RELEASE
Re: Inaugural Clergy Laity Conference Great Success

Astoria, NY- The Inaugural Clergy-Laity Conference of the Holy Metropolis of the Genuine Greek Orthodox Church of America concluded in New York yesterday following four days of highly productive meetings, deliberations, and joyful Divine Services. The conference was presided over by His Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos, Archbishop of North and South America. Over 100 delegates and clergy from various parts of North America participated in the Conference, which met from October 8 to October 11.

The theme of the conference was the life of Metropolitan Petros of blessed memory, and the fifty year anniversary of the Cathedral of St. Markella that was founded by him.

The conference had three main assembly sections: the formation of the Metropolis Constitution, the formation of a National Philoptochos Society, and the formation of a national Metropolis Youth Association.  

His Eminence, Metropolitan Pavlos was joined at the conference by four hierarchs from Greece (Metropolitans Stephanos of Chios, and Chrysostomos of Attica, and Bishops Gregory of Christianoupolis, and Photios of Marathon) and one from America (Bishop Christodoulos of Theoupolis).

That the conference was a great success was clear to all participants and observers. The participants expressed feelings of great fellowship with their brother Christians from the various parishes.  

Other results of the conference included: 1) the drafting of a new constitution for the Holy Metropolis. 2) The formation of a National Philoptochos Society. 3) The formation of a National Metropolis Youth Association. At its assembly, the Youth Association decided on a date for the Inaugural Metropolis Youth Association Conference. 4) The unanimous expression of a desire to continue the struggle to live and preserve the Holy Traditions of the Greek Orthodox Church as taught by the Holy Apostles, received, lived, and preserved by the Holy Fathers, and given to us by Metropolitan Petros and his brother Archimandrite Niphon of blessed memory.  

To see photos of the conference please visit: www.greekorthodoxclc.org

For further information please go to: www.TheGreekOrthodoxChurch.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 04:45:53 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »

Holy Metropolis of the Genuine Greek Orthodox Church of America

Cathedral of Saint Markella of Chios
22-68 26th Street
Astoria, N.Y. 11105

October 12, 2004

NEWS RELEASE
Re: Inaugural Clergy Laity Conference Great Success

Astoria, NY- The Inaugural Clergy-Laity Conference of the Holy Metropolis of the Genuine Greek Orthodox Church of America concluded in New York yesterday following four days of highly productive meetings, deliberations, and joyful Divine Services. The conference was presided over by His Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos, Archbishop of North and South America. Over 100 delegates and clergy from various parts of North America participated in the Conference, which met from October 8 to October 11.

The theme of the conference was the life of Metropolitan Petros of blessed memory, and the fifty year anniversary of the Cathedral of St. Markella that was founded by him.

The conference had three main assembly sections: the formation of the Metropolis Constitution, the formation of a National Philoptochos Society, and the formation of a national Metropolis Youth Association.  

His Eminence, Metropolitan Pavlos was joined at the conference by four hierarchs from Greece (Metropolitans Stephanos of Chios, and Chrysostomos of Attica, and Bishops Gregory of Christianoupolis, and Photios of Marathon) and one from America (Bishop Christodoulos of Theoupolis).

That the conference was a great success was clear to all participants and observers. The participants expressed feelings of great fellowship with their brother Christians from the various parishes.  

Other results of the conference included: 1) the drafting of a new constitution for the Holy Metropolis. 2) The formation of a National Philoptochos Society. 3) The formation of a National Metropolis Youth Association. At its assembly, the Youth Association decided on a date for the Inaugural Metropolis Youth Association Conference. 4) The unanimous expression of a desire to continue the struggle to live and preserve the Holy Traditions of the Greek Orthodox Church as taught by the Holy Apostles, received, lived, and preserved by the Holy Fathers, and given to us by Metropolitan Petros and his brother Archimandrite Niphon of blessed memory.  

To see photos of the conference please visit: www.greekorthodoxclc.org

For further information please go to: www.TheGreekOrthodoxChurch.com

So, was the "100" in attendance like...everyone in the GGOCA?

What I find so weird is that their "cathedral" is named for some obscure saint that probably not that many people know of - as opposed to Christ the Saviour, Holy Trinity, Virgin Mary or some major Saint.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 05:33:04 PM »

The GOC is small in America, that is true. At St Markella's, however, there are 300 people a week average in attendence.  Their two parishes in Chicago are a bit smaller, as are the parishes in Detroit and Florida.  The parish in Montreal I am not sure of; the parish in Virginia is a mission.

St Markella is a very popular saint among Greeks.

I don't think it's very nice to put cathedral in quotation marks.  Their diocese is certainly larger than the Albanian Diocese under the Ecumenical Patriarchate here in America.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 05:58:24 PM »

You in any of the pics, anastasios?

Glad it went so well.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 05:59:55 PM »

Nah, I wasn't there. Wish I could have made the liturgy but had other obligations.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 07:51:19 PM »

The GOC is small in America, that is true. At St Markella's, however, there are 300 people a week average in attendence.  Their two parishes in Chicago are a bit smaller, as are the parishes in Detroit and Florida.  The parish in Montreal I am not sure of; the parish in Virginia is a mission.

St Markella is a very popular saint among Greeks.

I don't think it's very nice to put cathedral in quotation marks.  Their diocese is certainly larger than the Albanian Diocese under the Ecumenical Patriarchate here in America.

Anastasios

Sorry, partly my disdain for them being a schismatic group.  Still, St. Markella ( I HAVE heard of her - a parishoner named their new daughter after her.) seems a weird name for a cathedral; well anything other than a major saint, Christ or Mary is.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 08:22:30 PM »

Who defines what a "major" saint is?  Each culture has its own "major" saints, and they don't always overlap.  For instance, this past 6 October, the commemoration of Saint Tikhon took precedence in the OCA over the feast of the Apostle Thomas (at least if the liturgical practice of Three Hierarchs Chapel is reflective of the wider OCA practice in this regard).  Saint Thomas is much, much more important than Saint Tikhon.  Yet, a nineteenth century Russian bishop enjoys more prestige than one of the Twelve, at least in some "Russian" Churches.  Each culture has its own favourites, but the saints are the saints, and all deserve to have churches built in their honour.  Speaking of "major" saints is silly from this perspective.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Stephen Barrow

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 08:43:17 PM »

Three Hierarchs' Chapel is not necessarily indicative of the OCA.  It is what it is, like it or not.  And many do not.  BTW my wall calendar, put out by St. Tikhon's in So. Canaan has St. Innocent Apostle to America on the same day as  St. Thomas.  Both are in red signifying major feasts, but St. Thomas is listed first.  As St. Innocent is considered the Apostle to America the feasts may be of the same rank.  Often the Typikon states that the order for services is "at the discretion of the ecclesiarch".  I don't have the rubrics handy as they are in Church.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 11:22:50 PM »

Wow...this group has a mission in my town...I might have to go check them out.

Proverbs 22:7
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 05:40:50 AM »

Sorry, partly my disdain for them being a schismatic group.

The GOC is schismatic? Of all the traditionalist groups, I'd say that the GOC under Archbp. Chrysostom II ranks as the most stable, and is built upon a firm, canonically viable, foundation. But then, I almost joined these "schismatics," (and I may do so eventually) so I guess it's natural that I would see them in a good light.

...having thought about it, though, I think that I merely see them in the same light as the ROCOR hierarchs (and Synod) who entered into communion with them. I haven't seen any major changes in official GOC belief or practice since that time, so either ROCOR willingly consecrated bishops for, and entered into communion with, schismatics... or maybe the GOC isn't so bad after all Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 08:25:25 AM »

All the Athonite monasteries bar Esphigmenou are old calendar and yet remain in communion with the canonical Orthodox Church in Greece who are on the new calendar. A Georgian friend of ours visited one of the GOC churches in Thessaloniki once and was told by them not to go to the new calendar churches nor even the Orthodox church in Georgia (which is old calendar, but in communion with the canonical, though new calendar, church in Greece, much like the Athonite monks)
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 08:31:21 AM »

Phil,

It should be rememberd that the Apostles other than SS. Peter and Paul, Andrew, and John are only Great Doxology Rank, at least in my Typicon they are.  I would imagine saints like St. Tikhon and St. Innocent are Polyeleos or Vigil rank in Russian Churches which would explain it.

Fr. Deacon Lance
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 08:31:51 AM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 11:53:18 AM »

Phil,

It should be rememberd that the Apostles other than SS. Peter and Paul, Andrew, and John are only Great Doxology Rank, at least in my Typicon they are.  I would imagine saints like St. Tikhon and St. Innocent are Polyeleos or Vigil rank in Russian Churches which would explain it.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Que?  What does that mean?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 12:49:37 PM »

Elisha,

Phil was wondering why St. Tikhon was commemorated but St. Thomas the Apostle was not.  Feasts are ranked indescending order  Great, Vigil, Poleleos, Great Doxology, Simple.  A higher ranked feast takes precedence over a lesser. A few Feast have universal rank the Great Feasts, St. Nicholas, a few others, but each Church may raise a Saint to the rank they wish, a Church's own saints tend to be given Vigil rank.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 06:40:47 PM »

Phil was wondering why St. Tikhon was commemorated but St. Thomas the Apostle was not.  Feasts are ranked indescending order  Great, Vigil, Poleleos, Great Doxology, Simple.  A higher ranked feast takes precedence over a lesser. A few Feast have universal rank the Great Feasts, St. Nicholas, a few others, but each Church may raise a Saint to the rank they wish, a Church's own saints tend to be given Vigil rank.

Well, he was commemorated, just not given the precedence I think he deserves.  If they were regarded as equal in rank, I wouldn't mind so much, but the Apostles are the Apostles, and the bishops are their successors.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: