OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:53:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Movies to be watched during lent  (Read 7874 times) Average Rating: 0
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2012, 07:41:43 PM »

What is the definition of a Christian movie?  The definition that I'm working with is a film that is thought provoking and the thoughts provoked tend to lead in the direction of any of the various Christian virtues or other Christian themes.
That to me does not in and of itself make a movie Christian. Part of what makes a Christian movie Christian, IMO, is that it is written by Christians with the specific intent to express Christian themes. Either that, or it's based on a book, such as Lord of the Rings, that adheres to those guidelines.

Again, I'm not saying that movies that don't follow these loose rules can't have redemptive value in a Christian sense, since I see a lot of that value in The Stand. I'm not even saying that they're not valuable watching during Lent, for they very well may be. I just wouldn't call such movies Christian.

Just for the sake of argument- by what criteria are you judging JRR Tolkien to be a Christian as opposed to Stephen King? Is it just that you like Roman Catholicism better, or that you believe Tolkien's devout Catholicism is Christian whereas King's jaded Methodism isn't?
That would be a valid comparison if I was aware before entering this discussion that Stephen King was a Methodist. Wink

If The Lord of the Rings is a Catholic book because it was written by a Catholic, even if it doesn't necessarily have the intent to be Catholic,
I believe Tolkien later acknowledged that, despite his intent, Lord of the Rings was essentially a Christian work.

what do we make of a work the author intended to be a work of dark Christianity?
Considering that I hadn't known of Mr. King's religious persuasion until now, I'm not really prepared to answer this question.

In all fairness, Mr King is not currently a practicing Methodist, and might not even consider himself a Christian. However, the strong Christian themes that run throughout his books- The Stand being a good example, Salem's Lot, The Darktower series, and Desperation being others- are entirely intentional.

I was just wondering how you had arrived at your judgement about one book being Christian and the other not- whether it was content or the religious affiliation of the author.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »

What is the definition of a Christian movie?  The definition that I'm working with is a film that is thought provoking and the thoughts provoked tend to lead in the direction of any of the various Christian virtues or other Christian themes.
That to me does not in and of itself make a movie Christian. Part of what makes a Christian movie Christian, IMO, is that it is written by Christians with the specific intent to express Christian themes. Either that, or it's based on a book, such as Lord of the Rings, that adheres to those guidelines.

Again, I'm not saying that movies that don't follow these loose rules can't have redemptive value in a Christian sense, since I see a lot of that value in The Stand. I'm not even saying that they're not valuable watching during Lent, for they very well may be. I just wouldn't call such movies Christian.

Just for the sake of argument- by what criteria are you judging JRR Tolkien to be a Christian as opposed to Stephen King? Is it just that you like Roman Catholicism better, or that you believe Tolkien's devout Catholicism is Christian whereas King's jaded Methodism isn't?
That would be a valid comparison if I was aware before entering this discussion that Stephen King was a Methodist. Wink

If The Lord of the Rings is a Catholic book because it was written by a Catholic, even if it doesn't necessarily have the intent to be Catholic,
I believe Tolkien later acknowledged that, despite his intent, Lord of the Rings was essentially a Christian work.

what do we make of a work the author intended to be a work of dark Christianity?
Considering that I hadn't known of Mr. King's religious persuasion until now, I'm not really prepared to answer this question.

In all fairness, Mr King is not currently a practicing Methodist, and might not even consider himself a Christian. However, the strong Christian themes that run throughout his books- The Stand being a good example, Salem's Lot, The Darktower series, and Desperation being others- are entirely intentional.

I was just wondering how you had arrived at your judgement about one book being Christian and the other not- whether it was content or the religious affiliation of the author.
It was primarily the religious affiliation of the author as I knew it.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »

Gladiator, because there is a 2 second shot showing hypothetical early Christians teaching kids about Jesus by yelling with twigs.

Plus, you get to watch Gladiator.

One of the only movies that makes me tear up... man, that ending when he dies and they're carrying him...  Cry
I suppose there is a redemptive, Christian element there, a man dying to restore his kingdom.

And yes, many tears at that scene. The soundtrack is also fantastic and worth getting.

The soundtrack is fantastic. We played it in marching band back when I was in high school. That's right, marching band. Judge away... I know my truth.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »

James Rottnek's thread on why did God create, brought to mind The Tree of Life.

Highly recommended.

You might be like some who left, er I guess stop the film in the first 20 minutes.

But as I said, I wept pretty much from minute eight till the end.

Great Christian film by any standard and a wonderful answer to the "problem of evil".

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »

With that strong of a recommendation, I'll have to see it.

One I used to like, long ago, that I don't think was meantioned on this thread, "Quo Basis".

"Who touches, is also touched"
mark thomas

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2012, 02:15:06 AM »

Spell Checker strikes again.

Edit: "Quo Vadis"

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »

"Quo Bassis".
That's the dubstep remix of the movie.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
mark thomas

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »

"Quo Bassis".
That's the dubstep remix of the movie.

ROFL!

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »

Yeah, I tried not to laugh . . . and failed.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

With that strong of a recommendation, I'll have to see it.

One I used to like, long ago, that I don't think was meantioned on this thread, "Quo Basis".

Spell Checker strikes again.

Edit: "Quo Vadis"

You could have just modified your post Wink

But to add to the thread:

People are always talking about spiritual growth during Lent, but what about intellectual growth? Watch the vid and see how many things you disagree with and why. Also, since it's Bart Ehrman, it will help build patience and longsuffering!  police

Large Marge sent me...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »

I've already read the Gnostic pseudogospels, thanks.  Tongue
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 12:59:24 AM »

How about A Man for All Seasons (1966) with John Hurt and Orson Welles. The story of a man who's not afraid to defend his faith to the death in the face of rising secularism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARQUzVfy6vA

(If you can get over the "Catholic" part).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:02:40 AM by NightOwl » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »

Into Great Silence

It's about Carthusian monks of the Grande Chartreuse.
My kids were having a hard time going to sleep tonight, and so I told them they could stay up and watch a movie with me. Ten minutes of Into Great Silence later, they were out and I was able to turn it off.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:51:44 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: