OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:43:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Movies to be watched during lent  (Read 6693 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »

Amadeus.  While not to be views as an historical documentary, it does a wonderful job of giving a bit of context and meaning to some of Mozart's music for lay fans of classical music.  Watch it and then listen to Don Giovanni or Requiem.   
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »

Amadeus.  While not to be views as an historical documentary, it does a wonderful job of giving a bit of context and meaning to some of Mozart's music for lay fans of classical music.  Watch it and then listen to Don Giovanni or Requiem.   
Okay. Undecided I agree it's a great movie, even if not historically accurate in some details, but how is it a Christian movie to be watched during Lent? Huh
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »

Okay. Undecided I agree it's a great movie, even if not historically accurate in some details, but how is it a Christian movie to be watched during Lent? Huh

How is LotR?

Give me a break.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »

Lenten movies? Why, when there is the PBS pledge drive. It promotes thoughts rivers of fire, lamentations, and generally ends in turning off the TV in despair and repenting, that is, doing something better with your life.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »

Amadeus.  While not to be views as an historical documentary, it does a wonderful job of giving a bit of context and meaning to some of Mozart's music for lay fans of classical music.  Watch it and then listen to Don Giovanni or Requiem.  
Okay. :-\ I agree it's a great movie, even if not historically accurate in some details, but how is it a Christian movie to be watched during Lent? ???

How is LotR?

1) LOTR was written by JRR Tolkien.
2) Tolkien knew C.S. Lewis.
3) C.S. Lewis knew G.K. Chesterton.
4) G.K. Chesterton wrote a book called "Orthodoxy".
5) ???
6) Profit!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:55:48 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »

How is LotR?
You mean you can read or watch LOTR and not see that it's replete with sacramental Christian imagery, to include that of the long, arduous, ascetic journey we call Great Lent? (Are you aware that J. R. R. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic for most of his life, and that he was instrumental in the conversion of his friend, C. S. Lewis, to Christianity?)

Give me a break.
Give me a break first. Roll Eyes Wink
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »

How is LotR?
You mean you can read or watch LOTR and not see that it's replete with sacramental Christian imagery, to include that of the long, arduous, ascetic journey we call Great Lent? (

I'm guessing you're not familiar with the music of a certain Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »

Amadeus.  While not to be views as an historical documentary, it does a wonderful job of giving a bit of context and meaning to some of Mozart's music for lay fans of classical music.  Watch it and then listen to Don Giovanni or Requiem.  

How is LotR?
You mean you can read or watch LOTR and not see that it's replete with sacramental Christian imagery, to include that of the long, arduous, ascetic journey we call Great Lent? (

I'm guessing you're not familiar with the music of a certain Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Actually I am VERY familiar with the music of a certain Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Why should I not be? I'm a classically trained musician brought up in the traditions of Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. Hell, I even wrote a research paper on Mozart for one of my classes! I've also watched the movie Amadeus. Though Mozart composed a lot of music for use in church, so did many of his contemporaries. That doesn't necessarily mean, however, that Christianity was a very important part of his life, and I've not seen any other evidence from his life that it was. The movie brought a lot of that out by showing Wolfgang to be somewhat of a pervert at times. I simply don't see how Amadeus can be considered a Christian movie.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:17:11 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »

I simply don't see how Amadeus can be considered a Christian movie.

At least to me the final scene of Don Giovanni is so palpable in calling out to the soul the need for repentance.  The Requiem haunts in a similar way.  I suppose repentance and spiritual struggle have nothing to do with lent. 
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 04:55:22 PM »

How is LotR?

1) LOTR was written by JRR Tolkien.
2) Tolkien knew C.S. Lewis.
3) C.S. Lewis knew G.K. Chesterton.
4) G.K. Chesterton wrote a book called "Orthodoxy".
5) Huh
6) Profit!

The only problem with the above list is that it refers mainly to the book, and not it's movie adaptation. Once we factor that in, we get a much more complete picture:

1) LotR was written by JRR Tolkien.
2)Tolkien was Catholic, which is kind of like Orthodox.
3) Peter Jackson adapted the book into a movie. This is the weak link, but we're getting there....
4)The movie was filmed in New Zealand.
5) Irish Hermit lives in New Zealand.
6) Orthodox!

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »

At least to me the final scene of Don Giovanni is so palpable in calling out to the soul the need for repentance.  The Requiem haunts in a similar way.  I suppose repentance and spiritual struggle have nothing to do with lent. 
I just watched Stephen King's miniseries, The Stand, which has a lot of the same palpable imagery of the call to repentance and the spiritual struggle to discern the will of God in the battle against evil, yet I wouldn't call this a Christian movie. The same with Amadeus.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »

I just watched Stephen King's miniseries, The Stand, which has a lot of the same palpable imagery of the call to repentance and the spiritual struggle to discern the will of God in the battle against evil, yet I wouldn't call this a Christian movie. The same with Amadeus.

The operative words in my post were "to me".  I've nowhere claimed that everyone ought to accept some sort of objective merits regarding the film.  I don't feel that a film has to blatantly and explicitly Christian in order to have value. 
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »

The operative words in my post were "to me".  I've nowhere claimed that everyone ought to accept some sort of objective merits regarding the film.  I don't feel that a film has to blatantly and explicitly Christian in order to have value. 

Nice straw man.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »

Nice straw man.
Indeed, considering that I'm not disparaging as valueless those movies that I don't call Christian movies. I know many movies beyond Amadeus and The Stand that can be seen as having great value in spurring us toward the Christian struggle of repentance that I would nevertheless not call Christian movies. However, the OP didn't ask for just every movie we think may have value during Lent; rather, he asked us to name Christian movies that may have value during Lent.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »

PtA, you like overwrought, pulp for kids. Great.

It's OK.

And who cares about authorial biography? That has to be the weakest argument I've ever heard in my life for anything.

Magic Flute > LotR.

It is slightly heretical, but less so than LotR, which is Manichaeism for kids.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

It's OK.

Ima Let you finish, but LOTR is bein some of the best movies of all time... of all time!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

For an examination of grace, repentance, damnation, and forgiveness:

Magnolia

It has sex, violence, language, all that.

But there is also a plague of frogs falling from the sky.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »

It's OK.

Ima Let you finish, but LOTR is bein some of the best movies of all time... of all time!

You are such an adorable nut.

lulz at your avatar. You just love messing with people.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »

For an examination of grace, repentance, damnation, and forgiveness:

Magnolia

It has sex, violence, language, all that.

But there is also a plague of frogs falling from the sky.

Love that movie.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »

Since we're going out on limbs here, I suppose I Spit On Your Grave could be seen to mirror many stories in the Old Testament...  fwiw I prefer the 2010 remake...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »

If you like documentaries, there's one you can get from Netflix that's a three-DVD history of the Orthodox Church. I forget the title, sorry, but it's one of the few things that comes up if you search for the word Orthodox on their site.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »

The Living Wake

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »

Nice straw man.
Indeed, considering that I'm not disparaging as valueless those movies that I don't call Christian movies. I know many movies beyond Amadeus and The Stand that can be seen as having great value in spurring us toward the Christian struggle of repentance that I would nevertheless not call Christian movies. However, the OP didn't ask for just every movie we think may have value during Lent; rather, he asked us to name Christian movies that may have value during Lent.

So what is the difference?  I understand Lent as a season of repentance and spiritual struggle.  I recommend a movie that for me highlighted these themes.  While I understand that in reality spirituality and repentance have nearly nothing to do with Orthodoxy, I fail to see what your definition of "Christian movie" is.  The Bells of Saint Mary's and that is?
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 01:08:35 PM »

This game is fun. Let me try:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Because —

1). The sequence of space flight near the beginning of the movie seems to take forever, just like Lent.
2). An odyssey is a journey, like Journeys to Orthodoxy. Many people also consider Lent to be a journey, because some metaphors never get tired.
3). HAL represents the passions, which try to kill us.
4). If we persevere to the end, we get transformed into a giant space baby.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »

Left behind? Is Lent long enough though to go through the whole movie (in case the movie is as long as the book series)?
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »

Babette's Feast is a great movie, and might be good to watch during Lent.

The following is from the Journal of Religion and Film by Wendy Wright:
http://www.unomaha.edu/jrf/BabetteWW.htm
[16] On still another level the film plays with Christian symbols. It seems to ask the question: what does it really mean to live the hope held out by the Christian faith? Does it mean that one is to endure the present world as a place of testing, where the forces of evil are loose, tempting one to turn one's eyes from a truer, not yet realizable fulfillment? Does discipleship consist of moral rectitude, avoiding sin and doing good works? Or is the Christian life perhaps about the realization, at least partially, of that fulfillment here and now? Is discipleship about celebration? About the recognition and embodiment of that final banquet? Is the world a sacrament, a visible means of access to what is yet invisible?

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »

Thank you. It's nice that we're being appreciated Smiley

I really have to watch that movie someday.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »

Oh, are you in Denmark?  Smiley  Yes, this movie is great!  Danes are definately hardy people!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »

Oh, are you in Denmark?  Smiley  Yes, this movie is great!  Danes are definately hardy people!

Thank you.  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »

How is LotR?

Actually I am VERY familiar with the music of a certain Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Why should I not be? I'm a classically trained musician brought up in the traditions of Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. Hell, I even wrote a research paper on Mozart for one of my classes! I've also watched the movie Amadeus. Though Mozart composed a lot of music for use in church, so did many of his contemporaries. That doesn't necessarily mean, however, that Christianity was a very important part of his life, and I've not seen any other evidence from his life that it was. The movie brought a lot of that out by showing Wolfgang to be somewhat of a pervert at times. I simply don't see how Amadeus can be considered a Christian movie.

Amadeus is not a Christian movie. Honestly PtA, I do not understand the younger generation.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

I think that Groundhog Day should be considered as well.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »

What is the definition of a Christian movie?  The definition that I'm working with is a film that is thought provoking and the thoughts provoked tend to lead in the direction of any of the various Christian virtues or other Christian themes.

I've just downloaded the film Царь (run the Russian wiki through google translate as the English version has no information).  The review from Fr. Daniil Sysoev is intriguing.  Hopefully I'll get around to watching it Friday or Saturday.     
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:41 AM »

Gladiator, because there is a 2 second shot showing hypothetical early Christians teaching kids about Jesus by yelling with twigs.

Plus, you get to watch Gladiator.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2012, 01:42:20 AM »

Gladiator, because there is a 2 second shot showing hypothetical early Christians teaching kids about Jesus by yelling with twigs.

One of the only movies that makes me tear up... man, that ending when he dies and they're carrying him...  Cry
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2012, 01:53:29 AM »

One of the only movies that makes me tear up... man, that ending when he dies and they're carrying him...  Cry
I suppose there is a redemptive, Christian element there, a man dying to restore his kingdom.

And yes, many tears at that scene. The soundtrack is also fantastic and worth getting.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:19:24 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2012, 02:09:57 AM »

What is the definition of a Christian movie?  The definition that I'm working with is a film that is thought provoking and the thoughts provoked tend to lead in the direction of any of the various Christian virtues or other Christian themes.
That to me does not in and of itself make a movie Christian. Part of what makes a Christian movie Christian, IMO, is that it is written by Christians with the specific intent to express Christian themes. Either that, or it's based on a book, such as Lord of the Rings, that adheres to those guidelines.

Again, I'm not saying that movies that don't follow these loose rules can't have redemptive value in a Christian sense, since I see a lot of that value in The Stand. I'm not even saying that they're not valuable watching during Lent, for they very well may be. I just wouldn't call such movies Christian.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:14:26 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 05:53:28 AM »

There was a proposed sequel written by Nick Cave where Maximus got in a squabble with the Roman gods in the afterlife, so they reincarnated him and made him immortal. Some of his first actions involve protecting early Christians. He then becomes an American, fights in WWII and Vietnam,and gets a job with the Pentagon in the present. I swear I'm not making this up, and I really wish it got through.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »

There was a proposed sequel written by Nick Cave where Maximus got in a squabble with the Roman gods in the afterlife, so they reincarnated him and made him immortal. Some of his first actions involve protecting early Christians. He then becomes an American, fights in WWII and Vietnam,and gets a job with the Pentagon in the present. I swear I'm not making this up, and I really wish it got through.
Unbelievably radical.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »

What is the definition of a Christian movie?  The definition that I'm working with is a film that is thought provoking and the thoughts provoked tend to lead in the direction of any of the various Christian virtues or other Christian themes.
That to me does not in and of itself make a movie Christian. Part of what makes a Christian movie Christian, IMO, is that it is written by Christians with the specific intent to express Christian themes. Either that, or it's based on a book, such as Lord of the Rings, that adheres to those guidelines.

Again, I'm not saying that movies that don't follow these loose rules can't have redemptive value in a Christian sense, since I see a lot of that value in The Stand. I'm not even saying that they're not valuable watching during Lent, for they very well may be. I just wouldn't call such movies Christian.

I don't get compartmentalizing my life with such semantics.   
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »

Unbelievably radical.
This is absolutely a real thing.

I am sure if it was made it would be required lenten watching.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »

I don't get compartmentalizing my life with such semantics.   
I'm not asking you to compartmentalize your life with semantics. I'm just asking that we tighten up our definition of what counts as a Christian movie for the sake of this discussion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »

It would be good if there were a documentary on the evils of textured vegetable protein. In lieu of that, I'd watch Star Trek IV.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »

Just for the sake of argument- by what criteria are you judging JRR Tolkien to be a Christian as opposed to Stephen King? Is it just that you like Roman Catholicism better, or that you believe Tolkien's devout Catholicism is Christian whereas King's jaded Methodism isn't? If The Lord of the Rings is a Catholic book because it was written by a Catholic, even if it doesn't necessarily have the intent to be Catholic, what do we make of a work the author intended to be a work of dark Christianity?

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »

To me Christian means in line with Christian sensibilities in this context.  Hence I understood it to mean something that promoted some sort of virtue and also wasn't violent or pornographic.   On the other hand you could have your Christian movie about 1) a family giving their daughter over to be gang raped 2) a father murdering his daughter or 3) a jealous husband forcing his wife to have an abortion.  Time to grab some popcorn!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »

Just for the sake of argument- by what criteria are you judging JRR Tolkien to be a Christian as opposed to Stephen King? Is it just that you like Roman Catholicism better, or that you believe Tolkien's devout Catholicism is Christian whereas King's jaded Methodism isn't?
That would be a valid comparison if I was aware before entering this discussion that Stephen King was a Methodist. Wink

If The Lord of the Rings is a Catholic book because it was written by a Catholic, even if it doesn't necessarily have the intent to be Catholic,
I believe Tolkien later acknowledged that, despite his intent, Lord of the Rings was essentially a Christian work.

what do we make of a work the author intended to be a work of dark Christianity?
Considering that I hadn't known of Mr. King's religious persuasion until now, I'm not really prepared to answer this question.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: