OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:44:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox President--is this possible?  (Read 2569 times) Average Rating: 0
Fotina02

« on: October 12, 2004, 11:40:28 AM »

I agree with view that president, indeed any politician should represent all constitutents regardless of race or religion. The only test is whether actions of individual or group is lawful or constitutional.

How would an Orthodox accomplish this?

to mods: if topic is not allowed, please delete or move if not right category, thanks.
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 12:58:09 AM »

I don't think an Orthodox president will ever happen. This country is too entrenched in its WASP ways.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 03:03:05 AM »

[waves from Greece]
We've got an Orthodox president Smiley
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 09:46:37 AM »

I don't think an Orthodox president will ever happen. This country is too entrenched in its WASP ways.  

^ What he said.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 10:31:06 AM »

Yep. After the trouncing in 1988, I don't think that will be tried again in the US.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 11:14:12 AM »

Unless the US gets hit upside the head (to use some dated slang), I agree, you probably won't see an Eastern Orthodox president, at least one you can be proud of. What you'll possibly get is an ethnic nominal-Orthodox version of JFK or John Kerry, somebody rather like Dukakis and several others. (Long story short, a secularized sellout.) And chances are if that happens he'll be an ethnic Greek as they outnumber other Eastern Orthodox in America.

amnesiac99
Always Hopeful, Yet Discontent

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Create in me a clean heart, O God

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 11:18:45 AM »

I am less pessimistic about the prospects of an Orthodox president than others here seem to be. Someone made reference to Michael Dukakis, but he was defeated because his views were simply out of touch with mainstream America. It had little to do with either his Greek or Orthodox heritage. While we do have a history of electing only WASPs, we have elected a Roman Catholic who became one of the most popular presidents of the 20th century.

It can happen, though it will take some time.

As for whether or not a president should "represent all constituents," there is nothing about this in the presidential oath of office. He is sworn to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States, not be a panderer to every collective in society. Part of defending the Constitution is protecting the individual rights of American citizens, but the mentality that each social group must "get something" from the president is harmful.

Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy upon and save us. Amen!
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 11:43:21 AM »

One who is Orthodox by birth maybe, but one who is Orthodox by Faith, dont think so.

JoeS
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 01:40:48 PM »

One who is Orthodox by birth maybe, but one who is Orthodox by Faith, dont think so.

That's what I was trying to say.

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 02:08:45 PM »

He is sworn to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States, not be a panderer to every collective in society. Part of defending the Constitution is protecting the individual rights of American citizens, but the mentality that each social group must "get something" from the president is harmful.

Agree, but the fact that his oath is to the constitution puts him at odds with religion sometimes, doesn't it?  As President, that is where his official loyalty must lie, and also where it must stop.  So I guess it depends on what one means when one means an "Orthodox President".  If it means a President who would try to reshape the laws of the US to reflect an Orthodox set of priorities, I think that this will never happen.  If it means a President who is Orthodox by background, but approaches his public affairs with a neutral, secular view (like say, George Stephanopoulos), then I think this is possible -- certainly more likely than the former, but probably still pretty unlikely given that the number of Orthodox in this country is very small, even when taking the Greeks into account.

B

B
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 02:49:04 PM »

I agree with Serge on this one. It will never happen. And if it does, he'll be nominal Orthodox and it won't make a dime's worth of difference anyway.
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 03:25:09 PM »

I highly doubt it. America, is a Protestant country founded and run by Protestants on protestant ideals. America will see a white Protestant female president before we have an Orthodox christian in the oval office.

Elected officials who are OC would happen, I think would be a WASP-IFIED
Greek or 3 generation Russian.

It was a HUGE deal when Kennedy took office because he was Roman Catholic. In the scheme of history, that wasn't that long ago. Visit any small town  in the deep south, rural west or northeast you will still find a heavily anti catholic (and orthodox) stand.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 03:57:26 PM »

Elected officials who are OC would happen, I think would be a WASP-IFIED
Greek or 3 generation Russian.

A second-generation WASPified Greek already has - Spiro Agnew of infamy*. He wasn't Greek Orthodox - his WASP mother was Episcopalian and so was he. (His dad changed the name from Agnanastopoulos - sp? - to Agnew.)

*Nixon's vice-president and sometime governor of Maryland, now deceased. His Pat Buchanan-written alliterative speeches ('nattering nabobs') angered a lot of people, then he got busted for tax evasion dating back to his governorship - he quit before Watergate hit the fan.

CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »

I agree with view that president, indeed any politician should represent all constitutents regardless of race or religion. The only test is whether actions of individual or group is lawful or constitutional.

How would an Orthodox accomplish this?

to mods: if topic is not allowed, please delete or move if not right category, thanks.
In Russia yes this will happen.
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 11:35:19 AM »

I think it is possible.  Orthodoxy continues to be on the rise in America, and protestantism on the decline.  The traditional WASP churches stand for little, if anything, anymore, evangelical protestantism the exception.

There are currently 2 Orthodox senators (Olympia Snowe of Maine and Sarbanes of Maryland), but they are more nominal than anything, as was Michael Dukakis.  You can't see their faith reflected in their votes.

I think an Orthodox candidate would do well if he voted his convictions, going along with his faith, rather than telling the public what he thinks they want to hear.  Americans respect that.  It's hard to tell that the current Orthodox politicians are Orthodox at all.

We may not see it in our lifetime, but I think it is possible.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 12:59:13 PM »

I think it is possible.  Orthodoxy continues to be on the rise in America, and protestantism on the decline.  The traditional WASP churches stand for little, if anything, anymore, evangelical protestantism the exception.

There are currently 2 Orthodox senators (Olympia Snowe of Maine and Sarbanes of Maryland), but they are more nominal than anything, as was Michael Dukakis.  You can't see their faith reflected in their votes.

I think an Orthodox candidate would do well if he voted his convictions, going along with his faith, rather than telling the public what he thinks they want to hear.  Americans respect that.  It's hard to tell that the current Orthodox politicians are Orthodox at all.

We may not see it in our lifetime, but I think it is possible.
The Muslim community is also on the rise. They may control the government before 2100 here!
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 08:33:35 PM »

Why does anyone even care what religion the US president is anyway? What on earth does it matter?
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2004, 04:16:34 AM »

A second-generation WASPified Greek already has - Spiro Agnew of infamy*. He wasn't Greek Orthodox - his WASP mother was Episcopalian and so was he. (His dad changed the name from Agnanastopoulos - sp? - to Agnew.)

Useless bit of information for the day

"Spiro Agnew" is an anagram for "grow a penis"
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2004, 04:35:35 AM »

Useless bit of information for the day

"Spiro Agnew" is an anagram for "grow a penis"

LOL, that's hilarious! :smiley1:
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print