OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 02:33:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HH Pope Shenouda III has Reposed in The Lord  (Read 25560 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »

After the conclusion of last night's pan-Orthodox Vespers, Archbishop Nathaniel stated that we would be now serving a panachida for the repose of Pope Shenouda III.  He spoke a few words about him, and told a story of how he had met him....

When deciding which Bishop's Staff to bring with him for this weekend, he picked a rather sturdy, yet simple, wooden one.  At the time he had not known that Pope Shenouda had passed away.  He heard the news as he entered the church for services, and said it touched him, because the staff which he had picked, was gifted to him by Pope Shenouda.  

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:59:04 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 01:35:26 PM »

HH Pope Shenouda III will be layed to rest at St. Pishoy's Monastery in Wadi Natrun.  Here's a video of the final preparations.

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=C_kqW7fK_ZY

The funeral will be in the Cathedral on Tuesday Mid-morning, around 10 or 11 am Egyptian time.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »

I was able to find a documentary of his life with subtitles for our English speaking friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=qXi3HiPSOqQ

Thank you for your post, LizaSymonenko. It was very touching to read.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:04:33 PM by CoptoGeek » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The news breaks my stride and my heart more so than the passing of Christians usually does.  After all, His Holiness is in the Kingdom, is part of the Communion of Saints, there is nothing to mourn in the final or concrete sense, but his loss to us is devastating.  His Holiness has been the truest successor of the See of Saint Mark since Saint Athanasius or Saint Cyril or Saint Dioscoros!!  The way Catholics loved John Paul II we Orientals adore HH Pope Shenouda!!  He was such a dear father to ALL of Africa, and all African Orthodox took HH guidance, HH wisdom, HH fellowship and friendship in the highest regards.  HH was a powerful political force and yet entirely from a spiritual perspective.  We have all learned to be the best Christians because of HH truly Apostolic example, indeed I can't think of a Patriarch who has better been truly one of the Apostles in our midst.  When the Body has been feuding against its own members, be it in Egypt, or even Ethiopia and Eritrea, HH interceded like a good father with his children to quell the disputes as the holy Apostle Paul did in Corinthians.  We know God is moving in our communities especially because of the works and legacy of fathers like HH Pope Shenouda, and we will miss his loss in the Militant Church, but we will gain all the more the power of his prayer from the Church Triumphant..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »

and we will miss his loss in the Militant Church, but we will gain all the more the power of his prayer from the Church Triumphant..

There is no such distinction in Orthodoxy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »

and we will miss his loss in the Militant Church, but we will gain all the more the power of his prayer from the Church Triumphant..

It's just a figure of speech, Michal.  Church Militant, Suffering and Triumphant are just ways to talk about the Church as a whole, comprising those of us who are living and dead.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Our Father's great legacy of spiritual works which have helped we Christians to transcend the struggles of this life.  We don't revere HH simply because of the title, rather because HH was truly a living Apostle in our midst, and we shed tears of joy over what HH has given to our lives, indeed across the lives of three generations!!

There is a lifetime of reading here, let us reflect on these in our times of sadness..

http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Calmness/index.html
stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »

An amatuer video of the crowd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUaC-O2T-Y

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »

Mourning Pope Shenouda III, Egypt's Coptic Christians fear for their future

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/03/18/142332/mourning-pope-shenouda-iii-egypts.html

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »

Memory eternal.Lord have mercy and grant him eternal life.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »

I miss him already. His writings on prayer really comfort me. Memory eternal.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »

coptogeek, yr youtube links of the final preparations and the life story don't work.
everyone, thanks for the lovely pictures.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »

coptogeek, yr youtube links of the final preparations and the life story don't work.
everyone, thanks for the lovely pictures.

Mabsoota, you may be trying to watch on an iphone/ipad.  Not all youtube videos work on them. They should work on a computer.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »

I have tried to watch both on a desktop, and neither work for me, either.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »

iphone, me?!
 Cheesy
 Grin
 laugh
i can just about use a laptop...

edit: do u have any source about the deaths of people in the crowd?
sounds really unpleasant.
Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:50:23 PM by mabsoota » Logged
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »

I have tried to watch both on a desktop, and neither work for me, either.

Hopefully these work, I included the Arabic titles so you can search for them if the links break.

سيرة عطرة: قداسة البابا شنودة ج 1
(Fragrant Biography: HH Pope Shenouda)
http://youtu.be/qXi3HiPSOqQ 

I think the "ج 1" is the arabic shorthand for "Chapter 1" but am not certain so I left it out.

تجهيز مدفن البابا شنودة بوادى النطرون
(Preparing the tomb for HH Pope Shenouda in Wadi Natrun)
http://youtu.be/C_kqW7fK_ZY 

text changed to reflect translations into english for all foreign text.  - serb1389.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:36:19 PM by serb1389 » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »

iphone, me?!
 Cheesy
 Grin
 laugh
i can just about use a laptop...

edit: do u have any source about the deaths of people in the crowd?
sounds really unpleasant.
Lord have mercy.

Sorry, mabsoota. It was my fault. Hopefully the links I just posted work.

3 deaths and 137 injured among crowds at Coptic cathedral

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/37146/Egypt/Politics-/-deaths-and--injured-among-crowds-at-Coptic-cathed.aspx

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »

Thank you. Those two links work for me.

copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »

Sorrounded by so many cold and unwelcoming faces, I feel like I am embraced by angelic warmth whenever I see the face of H.H Pope Shenouda. He will be missed greatly. A tough challenge for the one who replaces his chair. Who are the potential candidates?

Some of the candidates I've heard:

His Eminence Metropolitan Bishoy of Damietta:

He was also considered the right hand of the Pope, and by some people even as the Pope himself.  He has also been in the front lines of theological dialogues and an advocate to unity with the Eastern Orthodox.  Politically (or theologically) however he is controversial with Muslims and other Christians, Orthodox or non-Orthodx, and even within the Synod. He is also a diocesan Metropolitan, which is an uncomfortable notion in accordance with ancient church tradition, although it has one precedent before with Pope Yousab who was Metropolitan of Girga.

His Grace Bishop Youannis, General Bishop and Papal Secretary:

He is beloved by many, especially the youth, and is known for his love of Coptic hymns, particularly Midnight tasbeha.  He is however considered by some as too young, by others as unqualified due to his personality and lack of any real leadership,  and yet by others as borderline heretical due to his semi-charismatic (Protestant-like) character.  He received "street cred" when supporters of his spread a story around about a dream he had where the Theotokos implied he would be the next Pope.

His Grace Bishop Rafael, General Bishop:

He is quite low-key, but well respected and considered as a logical successor.  He seems to have an appeal to many as the "second Shenouda" for his frequent lectures and writings.  He is well educated in theology and he also is known not only for his knowledge of Coptic hymns, but the theological teaching of the hymns and rites.  I have not heard anything negative about him.  He also has "street cred" when a story about him spread around that the late His Holiness Pope Kyrillos did a "metanya" (prostration) to him when he was only a monk.  When the Pope was approached (he was known for his miracles and knowing the future) as to why he did this, he replied that he did a prostration to the Pope of Alexandria.

His Grace Bishop Moussa, General Bishop of Youth:

If His Eminence Metropolitan Bishoy is considered from a political standpoint illogical to be the next Pope, His Grace Bishop Moussa would be the logical choice.  He is very loveable and certainly very beloved by practically anyone.  He has never had any problems with anyone within the Synod, not even with His Eminence Metropolitan Bishoy or with those against him.  He is also loved by non-Orthodox and Muslims.  Whenever disasters occurred, he was the face of comfort and reassurance for both Copts and Muslims alike.  The only negative I've heard is age, but many argued that age shouldn't be an issue, since in these turbulent times, he would be the most logical choice.

Notice that the candidates are all bishops, and mostly general or non-diocesan bishops, which seems to be the expected trend as of now, considered that the last 3 out of 4 Popes were bishops (and the only ones in Coptic history), which leads to the endless debate of the validity of choices for Pope as well as the debate of the validity of non-diocesan bishops.  As of now I have not heard of any priests or deacons in consideration for the position.

I had never considered Bishop Moussa for the papacy, however, I wholeheartedly support this nomination, if it is God's will. I think I speak for the majority when I say that Bishop Moussa is one of the most peaceful, tenderhearted, caring bishops the Church of Alexandria has to offer. His work with the youth of the church serves a strong testimony to the work the Holy Spirit has performed through him.

If it is true that the Holy Synod is not eliminating Diocesan Bishops and politically controversial clergy, another candidate mentioned has been His Grace Bishop Paula of Tanta. His grace is a firm adherent to his monastic vows (especially concerning his desire to thoroughly eliminate meat consumption year-round), and upholds an uncompromising position regarding the ban of divorce within the Coptic Church. Bishop Paula serves as the chairman of the Marital Affairs committee of the Coptic Church. When the Egyptian Court demanded the approval of divorce within the Coptic Church, His Grace served as the right-hand man of our Late Patriarch in affirming the church's position. This unfortunately has caused him much unpopularity with the Egyptian media, muslims worldwide, and many Christian couples who seek divorce within the church. Many have suggested that the car accident that His Grace was involved in last year was an attempted assassination, since it immediately followed his appearance in the media as a primary opponent to the Egyptian Court.

Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

May the Lord repose the soul of Pope Shenouda.

Of all the names nominated, nobody is qualified because they are bishops, whether they ordained to a geographical episcopate or "general" bishops. It is against the Apostolic Canons, Nicean Canons, and this ban on bishops to ascend the Papacy has been renewed throughout the history of the Coptic Church. The Pope of Alexandria is a bishop in the end, and he cannot be ordained twice to the same rank nor is there anything in the Church called transfer of Episcopate.

I have the greatest respect for Anba Rofael, and it is unfortunate that he has been ordained to this "general" bishop rank for he would have been a great Pope. The same goes for Anba Macarius, the general bishop of Menia. They would have been amazing in this time after Protestantism has eaten up the Church from inside, for their Orthodoxy is unquestioned and their spiritually unparalleled. They are the reincarnation of Pope Kyrillos VI. Ma3lesh.

Now, as long as you are going to break the canons, break it for an OK person. Do not pick Bishop Youaness. 

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

Now, as long as you are going to break the canons, break it for an OK person. Do not pick Bishop Youaness. 
I'm genuinely curious, why do many people seem to not like Bishop Youannes? I've seen it a couple times now even on this board.
copticyouth93

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »

Of all the names nominated, nobody is qualified because they are bishops, whether they ordained to a geographical episcopate or "general" bishops. It is against the Apostolic Canons, Nicean Canons, and this ban on bishops to ascend the Papacy has been renewed throughout the history of the Coptic Church. The Pope of Alexandria is a bishop in the end, and he cannot be ordained twice to the same rank nor is there anything in the Church called transfer of Episcopate.

I have the greatest respect for Anba Rofael, and it is unfortunate that he has been ordained to this "general" bishop rank for he would have been a great Pope. The same goes for Anba Macarius, the general bishop of Menia. They would have been amazing in this time after Protestantism has eaten up the Church from inside, for their Orthodoxy is unquestioned and their spiritually unparalleled. They are the reincarnation of Pope Kyrillos VI. Ma3lesh.

Your argument regarding the "re-ordination" of bishops is invalid since Metropolitans are "ordained-twice," though the rank is not separate of the episcopate. Surely then it would be permissible for a bishop to be ordained a Patriarch, a rank of obvious superiority. Second, although the church does not permit a bishop to transfer to a different diocese, in accordance with the Ecumenical Councils, it is debatable with regards to its application regarding the ordination of a Patriarch, who was previously a bishop. The reason for this is that his ordination as a Patriarch, can be seen as an addition to his diocese, and not a transfer, assuming that no bishop is ordained in his place, as was the case with our late patriarch. If this was an obvious violation to the canons, I'm sure the Holy Synod at the time of Patriarch Yusab would not have approved his ordination since as previously mentioned, he was a Metropolitan.

Copticyouth93

PS: I do not know who you are addressing when you say "Do not pick Bishop Youaness," for we are not "picking" anyone. We are simply going through the candidates, requesting God's will to be enforced. Therefore, the only person you are ordering is our Lord, and I find it inconceivable of you to do so, for it is his church and his flock.
Pantocrator Bible Study

Faith: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »

Watch the Funeral Ceremony of H.H. Pope Shenouda III - LIVE

Tomorrow @ 5:00 AM EST (11:00 AM Egypt Time)

All major Coptic TV Channel Streams are available to watch at this link:

http://www.pantocratorbiblestudy.com/search/label/COPTICTV

May the Lord repose the precious soul of His Holiness and give us the strength to endure!

We thank you O Christ, for giving us the blessing and the privilege of living under the papacy of your most honored and blessed servant H.H. Pope Shenouda III.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »

Your argument regarding the "re-ordination" of bishops is invalid since Metropolitans are "ordained-twice," though the rank is not separate of the episcopate. Surely then it would be permissible for a bishop to be ordained a Patriarch, a rank of obvious superiority. Second, although the church does not permit a bishop to transfer to a different diocese, in accordance with the Ecumenical Councils, it is debatable with regards to its application regarding the ordination of a Patriarch, who was previously a bishop. The reason for this is that his ordination as a Patriarch, can be seen as an addition to his diocese, and not a transfer, assuming that no bishop is ordained in his place, as was the case with our late patriarch. If this was an obvious violation to the canons, I'm sure the Holy Synod at the time of Patriarch Yusab would not have approved his ordination since as previously mentioned, he was a Metropolitan.

Copticyouth93

PS: I do not know who you are addressing when you say "Do not pick Bishop Youaness," for we are not "picking" anyone. We are simply going through the candidates, requesting God's will to be enforced. Therefore, the only person you are ordering is our Lord, and I find it inconceivable of you to do so, for it is his church and his flock.

I personally would agree with Stavro on this one.  Whenever a bishop was chosen to the Papacy, they were not "ordained" but rather "consecrated" or "celebrated" into the position.  Only HH Pope Kyrillos VI was "ordained" into the papacy since he was only a priest monk Fr. Mina at the time of his choosing.  But I personally do not like the idea of "general bishops", nor do I wish that a bishop be put into the Papacy despite the contemporary precedents.  I also believe the voting should be changed a bit.  Why not include the church priests, deacons, and archdeacons of the world, as well as those who are in charge of service and prominent church committee members?  Why this conspicuous and nowadays useless "Maglis Millee"?  I don't know...but we shall see.  According to my father, who was in his late teens and a Sunday School teacher at the time of transition into the new Pope, it wasn't a bright moment for the Church, unfortunately.

As for HG Bishop Youannes, I have no view of him except that I enjoy his tasbehas.  That's pretty much it.  I'm not fond of his sermons, but I've never seen anything wrong with them.  But he does have his controversies with the people of things that I am not fully aware of to judge completely.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:28:41 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
copticyouth93

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »

Copticyouth93

I personally would agree with Stavro on this one.  Whenever a bishop was chosen to the Papacy, they were not "ordained" but rather "consecrated" or "celebrated" into the position.  Only HH Pope Kyrillos VI was "ordained" into the papacy since he was only a priest monk Fr. Mina at the time of his choosing.  But I personally do not like the idea of "general bishops", nor do I wish that a bishop be put into the Papacy despite the contemporary precedents.  I also believe the voting should be changed a bit.  Why not include the church priests, deacons, and archdeacons of the world, as well as those who are in charge of service and prominent church committee members?  Why this conspicuous and nowadays useless "Maglis Millee"?  I don't know...but we shall see.  According to my father, who was in his late teens and a Sunday School teacher at the time of transition into the new Pope, it wasn't a bright moment for the Church, unfortunately.
y
As for HG Bishop Youannes, I have no view of him except that I enjoy his tasbehas.  That's pretty much it.  I'm not fond of his sermons, but I've never seen anything wrong with them.  But he does have his controversies with the people of things that I am not fully aware of to judge completely.

Do you have a source for this celebrated versus consecrated idea? Because in reality, Pope Kyrillos was not an exception at all. As Father Peter explained, most Patriarchs of Alexandria were previously monks, with the exception of a few modern Patriarchs such as our late father and Pope Yusab.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »

Just for a historical perspective:

Pope Youannes XIX (papacy 1929-1942) was the first Pope ever to become Pope from an episcopacy.  He was the Metropolitan of Al Beheira (whose successor today is our Locum Tenens).

Pope Macarius III (papacy 1944-1945) was the second Pope ever to become Pope from an episcopacy.  He was the Metropolitan of Assuit (whose successor today HE Metropolitan Mikhail turned down the Locum Tenens position, who's a centenarian, and was even ordained before HH Pope Kyrillos VI's papacy).

Pope Yusab II (papacy 1946-1956) was the third Pope ever to become Pope from an episcopacy.  He was the Metropolitan of Girga.  He was also the first Pope whose Holy Synod decided to remove from his office due to corruption charges.  He passed away months later. 

The Papacy was vacant for four years, and the papacy was headed by three Metropolitans, one of whom was HE Metropolitan Mikhail of Assuit, who's still alive today.

Pope Kyrillos VI (papacy 1959-1971) was the only Pope in the 20th Century to be ordained to the Papacy (and thus far, the last Pope to have been ordained to the papacy).  He was Fr. Mina el-Baramosy, and was known as a wonder-working monk.  Perhaps, the modern golden age of the Coptic Church was started by him.  He also began the ordination of "general bishops," for concepts of universal Coptic service, and thus began an era of new ranking among the episcopacy.  For the first time, an episcopacy would be considered as separable from the diocese. 

He ordained Fr. Antonios el Suriany as "Bishop Shenouda, General Bishop of Christian Education and Dean of the Coptic Orthodox Theological Seminary."

This same Bishop Shenouda would be become Pope Shenouda (1971-2012), and while being the fourth Pope to become so from an episcopacy, he would be the first Pope to become so from being a general bishop, rather than a diocesan one.

A short article about the last 10 Popes posted by Al-Ahram online:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/37154/Egypt/Politics-/The-last--Coptic-orthodox-Popes-.aspx

Ahram Online takes a quick look back at the last ten patriarchs of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.

The numbers are off.  Of course, Pope Shenouda was the 117th Pope, not the 118th.  Everyone before before, subtract one as well.

So in actuality, there are three precedents where diocesan bishops became Popes.  Which makes sense, since there were no such thing as "general bishops" before Pope Kyrillos.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:10:14 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »

Fun fact: the Christian citizen who was martyred on March 25, 1844 (Al Ahram article said 1840) was St. Sidhom Bishay, who is also a great uncle to His Eminence Metropolitan Bishoy of Demietta today.

May his prayers, whose commemoration is coming soon, be with us, that we may have an able and worthy Pope.

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »

You are correct in a sense.  Christ is both militant and triumphant and the Church is His Body.  You are also correct that we would not use the terms in the sense that the modern west does.  Yet in terms of the struggling faithful in Orthodoxy, ALL of the Church in heaven and earth prior to the general resurrection is "militant" and ALL of the Church after the general resurrection is "triumphant."  This is because all of the Church in heaven and earth prior to the resurrection continue to struggle for the salvation of humankind, but afterward, all have received their reward according to the Lord's words.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »

^I will also add that this is also because none of us will have received back our resurrected bodies until that point. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »

Wonderful quote from HH.  Thank you. 

Watch the Funeral Ceremony of H.H. Pope Shenouda III - LIVE

Tomorrow @ 5:00 AM EST (11:00 AM Egypt Time)

All major Coptic TV Channel Streams are available to watch at this link:

http://www.pantocratorbiblestudy.com/search/label/COPTICTV

May the Lord repose the precious soul of His Holiness and give us the strength to endure!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-03-20/egypt-coptic-pope-funeral/53663978/1?csp=34news

Another story on the memorial.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

The video of the Funeral Service. It's about 2 1/2 hrs long.

صلاة جناز قداسة البابا شنودة  (Funeral prayer for His Holiness Pope Shenouda)
http://youtu.be/D8GKvpD696s

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »

Memory eternal! May his soul dwell with the blessed, and a new successor govern the church wisely.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »

Our beloved father , our beloved teacher baba Shenouda oh! How we will miss you! Thank you for all that you have done for us. For loving us and taking care of our need through your powerful prayer and all your spiritual works! Gentle loving Shepherd of the flock of Christ we thank God for giving us such holy wise and loving father and Shepherd. Pray for us that when we see you again that we may be worthy to be called your children! I love you baba , and all the Orthodox in Ethiopia love you deeply and are forever grateful that you have come to us when you could with your deep love and blessing. And because the Holy Spirit spoke through you many came back to The Church, and many more remained within The Church! Our sorrow is deep as seeing your face was a deep comfort for us! We pray that our beloved Copts may be comforted by the Lord from thier grief that is doubled by the sad time they live in. Throurgh your prayer and the prayers of all the saints , May Holy Alexandria be once more graced by Holy shepherd keeper and defender of the One True Faith and who is also beloved father of his children. Beloved father may you rest in the peace and joy of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and may your memory be Eternal! Amen!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

H.H Ignatious Zakka I, Patriarch of Antioch and All the East of the Syriac Orthodox Church at the funeral of H.H Pope Shenouda III.
http://youtu.be/nzZ-A6dZyPs

H.H Zakka I is 80 years old and has kidney failure and is confined to a wheel chair.

NULL
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »

H.H Ignatious Zakka I, Patriarch of Antioch and All the East of the Syriac Orthodox Church at the funeral of H.H Pope Shenouda III.
http://youtu.be/nzZ-A6dZyPs

H.H Zakka I is 80 years old and has kidney failure and is confined to a wheel chair.

May the Lord grant him many years to shephard his flock in peace.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »

The video of the Funeral Service. It's about 2 1/2 hrs long.

صلاة جناز قداسة البابا شنودة  (Funeral prayer for His Holiness Pope Shenouda)
http://youtu.be/D8GKvpD696s

Thank you for posting this.
May his memory be eternal!

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »

On March 18, His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, sent a letter of condolence to the Holy Synod, the clergy, and faithful Christians of the Coptic Orthodox Church, on the occasion of the death of His Holiness Shenouda III, Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of St. Mark.

On March 20, a delegation representing the Holy Armenian Apostolic Church, will travel to Egypt to participate in the burial service of Pope Shenouda III - His Eminence Archbishop Norvan Zakarian;  Primate of the Armenian Diocese of France; His Grace Bishop Ashot  Mnatsakanian Primate of the Armenian Diocese of Egypt; and His Grace Bishop Datev Hakobian, Primate of the Armenian Diocese of Romania.

On March 21, at 16.00, in the Mother Cathedral of Holy Etchmiadzin, the Catholicos of All Armenians will preside over a Repose of Souls Service, to pray for peace for the spirit of the Pope and Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

http://www.armenianchurch.org/index.jsp?sid=3&nid=2046&y=2012&m=2&d=19

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »

Memory Eternal!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »

I'm genuinely curious, why do many people seem to not like Bishop Youannes? I've seen it a couple times now even on this board.

sheenj, a very wise man once said:

Take whatever perspective you get here with a grain of salt...  Wink

I'll leave it at that.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »

Some beautiful words from His Holiness Abune Paulos, Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church at the funeral.

صلاة بطريرك اثيوبية على قداسة البابا شنودة (Prayer of the Ethiopian Patriarch for HH Pope Shenouda)
http://youtu.be/w2v-_8DempE

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »

Is it too early to pray that he will be glorified and we can soon call him St. Shenouda?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:38:46 PM by biro » Logged

spcasuncoast.org
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »

Is it too early to pray that he will be glorified and we can soon call him St. Shenouda?

From the EO POV?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

I should hope we can revere saints across the 'dividing line.'

spcasuncoast.org
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:11 AM »

We are still waiting for the glorification of Pope Kyrillos.
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church Pope Shenouda Canon 15 of Nicaea 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: