OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 10:39:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HH Pope Shenouda III has Reposed in The Lord  (Read 26758 times) Average Rating: 0
qawe

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2012, 10:00:45 PM »

Newspapers describe Anba Rofael as progressive.  What do they mean?
That description doesn't sound like that of someone "super-Orthodox".

H.g. Is orthodox. Told the priests here they're protestants, and if their sermons aren't based in and consistent with the fathers, they're not preaching orthodoxy. Didn't pull any punches or go for popularity. Papers probably just mean caring for youth, using technology, unimportant things since they don't know how to judge the things that matter in a bishop

It seems that at least 4 of the 5 candidates are quite Orthodox.
Bishop Raphael and Abouna Raphael we know.
But Bishop Tawadrous was nominated by Bishops Raphael and Souriel (... that He may forgive us our sins LOL), both thoroughly Orthodox bishops.
And Abouna Pachomious (the youngest candidate) was nominated by Bishop Youssef, also thoroughly Orthodox.
I don't know about the other hegumen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:02:28 PM by qawe » Logged
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »

My knowledge of the administration/current events of the Coptic Church is pretty spotty. Does anyone know of a source that gives bios for any/all of the candidates?

Here's a short bio for each candidate.

Who of these will be the 118th pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church?
Mariam Rifaat, Tuesday 16 Oct 2012 - 11:41 PM 

Many among the Coptic Orthodox congregation are not familiar with all five candidates who will be running for 118th patriarch of the See of St Mark, the seat of which has been vacant since Pope Shenouda III died last March. Watani here presents a brief profile of each.

http://www.wataninet.com/watani_Article_Details.aspx?A=32342

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »

Why does everyone dislike Met. Bishoy? Is it still that thingie he said about the Latins and the Protestants?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
lord doog

« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »

On a note unrelated to the papal election, Jersey City recently named a street after Pope Shenouda.

“Many times I spoke, and as a result felt sorry, but I never regretted my silence.”  -Saint Arsenius the Great
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »

Why does everyone dislike Met. Bishoy? Is it still that thingie he said about the Latins and the Protestants?

Forgive me for in a sense spreading rumor (it's kind of impossible not to, in this case, as I'm relying on the opinions of others who follow Arabic-language news that I can't follow), but from the people I've asked, it's his attitude. They see him as egotistical and arrogant, and hence not suited for the job, personality-wise. His statements on Catholics and Protestants are far from the only inflammatory declarations I've read from him, though, so even without having a very good/unbiased sense of his personality (which I kind of think is a secondary and maybe even in some sense petty way of looking at it; St. Shenouda the Archimandrite was not exactly easy to get along with, even in the biography written by his disciple Besa!), I do not think he is right for the position, either. At such a time of high tension like in today's increasingly Islamist Egypt, I would hope that someone with a bit more sense than to say unnecessarily inflammatory things would be elevated to the Papacy.

This, for instance, was unnecessarily inflammatory and a stupid way of making a point (We even had a thread about it)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:53:42 PM by dzheremi » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2012, 10:54:22 AM »

Interviews of the five candidates with English subtitles:

His Very Reverence Hegumen Fr. Rafaeel Ava Mina:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0xzMKdDm_s&feature=channel&list=UL
(A little note, he was the private deacon of HH the late Pope Kyrillos VI, the wonder-worker, and has shared many stories of the late Pope as well as the stories of St. Mina, and has been a spiritual father to countless bishops, monks, nuns, deacons, etc. especially those of the Monastery of St. Mina and the Convent of St. Merkurious)

His Grace Bishop Tawadros:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zBzWoVPU9c&feature=channel&list=UL
(a Pharmacist and a well-educated and traveled man, in both England and Singapore, and has served as a General bishop, assisting the diocese of Beheira under His Eminence Metropolitan Bakhomious, the current locum tenens)

His Grace Bishop Rafaeel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFqSpAsjFDM&feature=channel&list=UL
(a physician, graduate of the clerical school for theology, and knowledgeable in the Coptic language and hymns, His Grace served as a monk under His Grace Bishop Moussa, general bishop for the youth, and was ordained General Bishop, assisting His Holiness the late Pope Shenouda for central Cairo)

His Very Reverence Hegumen Fr. Pakhomios el-Souriany:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG3DvEwJnQM&feature=channel&list=UL
(holding bachelors in science and education, was a math teacher for quite some time, and then became a monk in "El Sourian Monastery of St. Mary".  He became an assistant to His Grace Bishop Barnaba of Torino and Rome, building and serving many parishes in the area for the Italian Copts)

His Very Reverence Hegumen Fr. Seraphim el-Souriany:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8nAARKF4p0&feature=channel&list=UL
(holding bachelors in science, was a researcher for quite some time, and then became a monk also in "El Sourian Monastery of St. Mary".  He traveled around serving many English-speaking parishes, whether in England or various places in the United States, whether serving in the Archdiocese in Cedar Grove, NJ, the Southern Diocese in Texas, or very recently, serving the parish in Honolulu, Hawaii under the diocese of California)

These five men have traveled together doing various liturgies in several churches in Egypt, and taking turns giving sermons to the congregants.  They have been quite humble, showing that this is not a competition, but that each of them would be happy that the Lord may choose anyone of them for the Papacy, giving one another blessings and praise in their history of service and worthiness of the Papal seat.

Elections for the 5 to be voted down to the top 3 will take place on October 29 (fasting for this ended day before yesterday), which either by the end of that day or the following day, we'll know the top 3.  A Church-wide fast is asked to be observed October 31-November 2 for the casting of lots of those 3 names, which will take place November 4th during the liturgy there.  Enthronement of that name picked out during that liturgy will take place November 18th.

May our Lord Jesus Christ aid in choosing the right and just shepherd for the Coptic Church in the love of God the Father through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  Amen!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:05:15 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »

Something to note, it seems all the candidates are from the Shoubra district of Cairo, where a huge concentration of Copts live and grow.  My own family are from Shoubra, and I've visited Shoubra many times.  While the Copts may make up 10% of the Egyptian population, you would get the feeling that 50% of Shoubra Egyptians are Copts.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

John Anton
Cairo
Special Correspondent
OCP News Service – Exclusive
29/10/2012

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church delegation of five Archbishops have already arrived in Cairo to take part in the Coptic Papal elections Monday 29th October 2012.

The Five of the Archbishops of the Ethiopian Church are Abune Matthias – Jerusalem, Abune Ashiaa – Malakaly, Abune Gabriel – Sydama South of Ethiopia, Abune Aragway – Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Abune Antonio – North East Of Europe.

The Voting rights are provided as per the protocol agreement signed between the Coptic and Ethiopian Orthodox Churches.

As per the Protocol Article VIII of the Protocol Signed: In any future consecration and enthronement of a patriarch for either one of the two Churches, a delegation should be sent from the other Church to invite her to participate. The type of participation is to be negotiated at that time.”
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/10/ethiopian-orthodox-church-delegation-arrives-in-cairo-to-attend-coptic-papal-election/comment-page-1/#comment-37812

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:33:38 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »

I received an official email from copticworld:

After a day that was very orderly where events unfolded as expected, the final results are here. The three candidates from whom the next pope will be chosen are:

-HG Bishop Rafail
-HG Bishop Tawadros
-Father Rafail Ava-Mina

The Divine Lottery will take place on Sunday. At the conclusion of a liturgy prayed by Bishop Pakhomious, a child will choose the next Pope from amongst these three candidates.

CopticWorld will continue to stream live CYC, CTV and Logos for those that dont have these services in their homes and would like to follow these historic events.

Please check with CopticWorld.org often for the latest news. Please post your opinions and thoughts on the community board.

Fasting for the Sunday lot will be three days, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week.  One of these three men who will be chosen from the lot will be enthroned on November 18.  May God extend his hand and choose for us the right and perfect shephard for our church.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:07:11 PM by minasoliman » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »

From http://www.copticworld.org/articles/1354/

After a very well organized and orderly day where events unfolded as expected, a total of 2256 out of 2417 (93,3%) eligible voters came to cast their vote. The final results were announced by H.E. Metropolitan Pakhomious:
- Fr. Bakhomious Al-Souriany   305 votes
- H.G. Bishop Rafail    1980 votes
- Fr. Rafail Ava-Mina    1530 votes
- Fr. Serafim Al-Souriany    680 votes
- H.G. Bishop Tawadros    1623 votes
Based on these numbers the three candidates from whom the next pope will be chosen are:
- HG Bishop Rafail
- HG Bishop Tawadros
- Father Rafail Ava-Mina
The Divine Lottery will take place on November 4th. At the conclusion of a liturgy prayed by Bishop Pakhomious, a blindfolded child will pick the name of the next Pope from amongst these three candidates.
CopticWorld will continue to stream live CYC, CTV and Logos for those that dont have these services in their homes and would like to follow
CopticWorld will continue to stream live CYC, CTV and Logos for those that dont have these services in their homes and would like to follow these historic events. Please check with CopticWorld.org often for the latest news. Please post your opinions and thoughts on the community board.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »

Lord have mercy and guide whomever is selected.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
ReturnOrthodoxy

Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »

I say we have an election as to who the child who selects the patriarch should be!!!!

Democracy at its finest! LOL

RO

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »

I say we have an election as to who the child who selects the patriarch should be!!!!

Democracy at its finest! LOL

RO

Cheesy

But seriously, there will be 70 child at the Sunday liturgy waiting to be the lucky child selected.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
ReturnOrthodoxy

Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2012, 01:00:39 AM »

LOL. And every mom holding up her child hoping hell be picked. Just like Rafiki from the lion king.

RO

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
qawe

« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:41 AM »

Does anyone know what time the altar lot will be held?
I have read that the liturgy will start at 8am
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:29:38 AM by qawe » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »

wow, it's tomorrow...
prayers please.
 Smiley
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2012, 03:29:06 AM »

The liturgy is being streamed live:

http://www.copticworld.org/

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2012, 03:32:27 AM »

Also via Livestream (in case the link given by Salpy goes down; that happened to me once already at a different site, and going to CTV directly yields a "Service Unavailable" message for me): http://www.livestream.com/aghapychannel

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2012, 06:46:33 AM »

The 118th Pope of Alexandria will be HH Pope Tawadros II (the first being the 45th Pope in the 8th Century).  May God strengthen him and aid him in bringing our church peace and growth in these trying times.

The enthronement ceremony will be 2 weeks from now on the 18th.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:47:30 AM by minasoliman » Logged

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios! God grant him many years!
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church Pope Shenouda Canon 15 of Nicaea 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: