OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian looking for tips on getting sponsors/Godparents  (Read 903 times) Average Rating: 0
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« on: March 17, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »

My family and I are Inquirers at an Antiochian parish and I am looking for tips on getting sponsors and or Godparents for our daughters my wife and myself. Our Priest has told us that once we have identified such that we should come to him first, rather than asking them first, which we will do. He has also advised us to walk not run, which I will try to do. Grin

I'm just not sure how to proceed between now and giving him names. For example could one couple sponsor us all as a family or would we need individual sponsors? If we did need individual sponsors what might that need to look like. Could a gentleman sponsor me and his wife one of my daughters, while the other daughter and my wife had sponsors from two different families?

I've heard that sponsors/Godparents often get gifts of some sort for the sponsored, not that we would need or expect that anyone should, but if that's customary I would guess people would and I wouldn't want to be overly burdensome on anyone. Perhaps that's not even something I should be concerned about.

Are there other guidelines to consider? Gender, age, length of time a potential sponsor has been in the church, etc?

I'm guessing that there might be variance in custom between jurisdictions so led with ours but I would welcome good advice from any corner. Thanks for your help.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »

Here are my responses:

"Could one couple sponsor us all as a family or would we need individual sponsors? " It is common  in both the Antiochian and Greek Orthodox practice for a couple *Husband and wife ) to sponsor or god parent the entire family. I usually recommend you choose and active , practicing family that will help guide you through orthopraxis and fellowshipping the family in the parish. Your priest may allow you to follow you other option of a gentleman sponsor you and his wife one of your daughters, while the other daughter and your wife had sponsors from two different families. I personally think the one family for all is best but your priest will advise you in what he thinks is best for you.

Sponsors/Godparents often get the first cross worn after Baptism/chrismation----it is not a requirement but is a tradition.

Other guidelines to consider? Same Gender as those they sponsor, length of time a potential sponsor has been in the church is looked at by the priest as it their activity and practiceof the faith.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:44:18 AM »

You wouldn't be able to marry your sponsors.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »

Neither would your children be able to marry your sponsors' children, or any other children the sponsors have been Godparents to.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »

Thanks Thomas, very helpful. Michal, my wife will be glad to hear that I think she's partial to the idea of my being married to her. laugh Have ponder that with the girls though, thanks LBK.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Patty Joanna

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »

Look for sponsors who pray. 

And do what your priest said:  run it by him first, and make it a real conversation, not just a process hoping for a rubber stamp approval. 
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:43:45 AM »

Neither would your children be able to marry your sponsors' children, or any other children the sponsors have been Godparents to.
I worked with a guy that married his G-d sister but he had to get a letter or something saying it was okay. I guess there parents were best friends or something they were not of blood though.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »

I worked with a guy that married his G-d sister but he had to get a letter or something saying it was okay. I guess there parents were best friends or something they were not of blood though.

Godchildren are regarded as spiritual siblings. Blood ties or their absence is irrelevant. It would be spiritual incest for Godchildren to marry each other, and just as serious in the eyes of the Church as a biological brother and sister marrrying. I cannot imagine any Orthodox priest or bishop worth his salt approving such a marriage.
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »

here is a link to answer from someone who also ask this question to a Orthodox question forum http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/answer/1325/ with an answer. The only reason I know about the guys problem that I worked with was I was the one going to cover his shift and we had to change the date twice well he waited for a letter of something. I am not sure if he was Orthodox or Rcc though I never asked

Godchildren are regarded as spiritual siblings. Blood ties or their absence is irrelevant. It would be spiritual incest for Godchildren to marry each other, and just as serious in the eyes of the Church as a biological brother and sister marrrying. I cannot imagine any Orthodox priest or bishop worth his salt approving such a marriage.

Dear Jewish voice, remember to not double post or quote without making a comment it is against the rules of the OC.net.

Thankyou,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:42:15 PM by Thomas » Logged
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:41:51 PM »

Thanks Patty, you must have caught the part in my OP where I referenced my all too often desire to move faster than I really have to.  Smiley I continually pray that God help me to submit to His will not my own, and that He moves on my desire to make that His and not my own, as well.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:47:58 PM »

Ah, but Godparent's children can marry their parent's Godchildren, no?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:51:14 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »

Ah, but Godparent's children can marry their parent's Godchildren, no?

No, they can't. These children are still spiritually related.
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:17:14 AM »

here is a link to answer from someone who also ask this question to a Orthodox question forum http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/answer/1325/ with an answer. The only reason I know about the guys problem that I worked with was I was the one going to cover his shift and we had to change the date twice well he waited for a letter of something. I am not sure if he was Orthodox or Rcc though I never asked

Dear Jewish voice, remember to not double post or quote without making a comment it is against the rules of the OC.net.

Thankyou,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator.

I'm sorry Thomas I didn't go down far enough when I posted so it ended up in the blue this is what I posted back to LBK
 here is a link to answer from a Father who  was also asked this question on a Orthodox question forum http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/answer/1325/ with an answer.
The only reason I know about the guys problem that I worked with was I was the one going to cover his shift and we had to change the date twice well he waited for a letter of something. I am not sure if he was Orthodox or Rcc though I never asked
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:20:44 AM by jewish voice » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: