OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 02:44:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's Your Chance  (Read 3689 times) Average Rating: 0
jewish voice
Elder

« on: March 16, 2012, 03:50:14 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this if not then pls feel free to  move.

I'm Jewish first and for most now I offer you this challenge if you so wish to partake in. Only using Tanakh ( OT to you) Show me where that Jesus is who the Orthodox Church says he is.

I'll do all reading that you offer to me and post back my thoughts.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:12:53 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this if not then pls feel free to  move.

I'm Jewish first and for most now I offer you this challenge if you so wish to partake in. Only using Tanakh ( OT to you) Show me where that Jesus is who the Orthodox Church says he is.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:49:18 AM »

I will probably not participate in this, but I do think it would be beneficial for all parties if you mentioned any restriction you are placing on which version of the OT (such as Masoretic).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:22:18 AM »

Various references from Isaiah and Ezekiel, compiled in the Great Compline hymn God Is With Us:

God is with us, understand you nations, and submit.

For God is with us.

To the ends of the earth give ear.

For God is with us.

Submit, you mighty ones.

For God is with us.

If again you become strong, you will also submit again.

For God is with us.

And whatever you plan, the Lord will scatter it.

For God is with us.

And whatever word you speak, it will not remain among you.

For God is with us.

Fear of you we shall not fear, nor shall we be troubled.

For God is with us.

The Lord our God, let us sanctify him, and he will be our fear.

For God is with us.

And if I should trust in him, he will be sanctification for me.

For God is with us.

And I will trust in him, and I will be saved through him.

For God is with us.

Here am I and the children whom God has given me.

For God is with us.

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light.

For God is with us.

We who dwell in the land and the shadow of death, a light will shine on us.

For God is with us.

For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given.

For God is with us.

Whose government was upon his shoulder.

For God is with us.

And of his peace there is no bound.

For God is with us.

And his name shall be called, Angel of great counsel.

For God is with us.

Wonderful Counsellor.

For God is with us.

Mighty God, Ruler, Prince of peace.

For God is with us.

Father of the age to come.

For God is with us.

God is with us, understand you nations, and submit: For God is with us.

Also from Isaiah:

The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s crib

Ezekiel 44:1-3:
Then He brought me back to the outer gate of the sanctuary which faces toward the east, but it was shut. 2 And the Lord said to me, “This gate shall be shut; it shall not be opened, and no man shall enter by it, because the Lord God of Israel has entered by it; therefore it shall be shut. 3 As for the prince, because he is the prince, he may sit in it to eat bread before the Lord; he shall enter by way of the vestibule of the gateway, and go out the same way.”
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »

*subscribing*
Many years ago, when I first began exploring into religion, a Protestant minister sat down with me and did pretty much what you are asking. He used a small paperback book that was published back then, that had something like 200 OT passages, and their Christian interpretations, 'proving' Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. It was very convincing to me, but of course I was both young and pre-disposed towards Christianity, so I was not as critical of a thinker as you are.

If such a book is still available, would you be interested in it? And, have you ever been through this process before?

"Who touches, is also touched"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

That is your chance, not ours.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »

I can prove it to you solely using clips from Assassin's Creed. PM me for details.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »

*subscribing*
Many years ago, when I first began exploring into religion, a Protestant minister sat down with me and did pretty much what you are asking. He used a small paperback book that was published back then, that had something like 200 OT passages, and their Christian interpretations, 'proving' Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. It was very convincing to me, but of course I was both young and pre-disposed towards Christianity, so I was not as critical of a thinker as you are.

If such a book is still available, would you be interested in it? And, have you ever been through this process before?

I would be interested if you can find the name of it I would give it a go over. I have had a few people try in the past but I would just shut them off real fast but this time I'm the one asking and looking Smiley
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »

I will probably not participate in this, but I do think it would be beneficial for all parties if you mentioned any restriction you are placing on which version of the OT (such as Masoretic). 
No real restrictions other than you either give me a link to something or I am able to read it from my Tanakh
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »

No real restrictions other than you either give me a link to something or I am able to read it from my Tanakh
just so we are all on the same footing, would this website be acceptable
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/jpstoc.html

SCREW BON JOVI!
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »

just so we are all on the same footing, would this website be acceptable
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/jpstoc.html
Yep
mark thomas

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »

I will try to find that book.

Off top of my head, the 22nd Psalm (KJV numbering) was most convincing to me.
Also, 110 Psalm is often cited as a proof text.

I have to go to work now, will try to find book and post later.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »

Hey JV. This is not a verse, but maybe you should just take a peek at "Surprised By Christ" by Fr. James Bernstein. It might give you some insight as to how he saw Christ as the Messiah.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this if not then pls feel free to  move.

Wow, how very nice of you to condescend and allow us the honer to prove to you where it says Jesus is Jesus in the OT?!

Thanks for this great opportunity we will get back to you asap.

OR you can read the book with an objective mind set and it will then be obvious.

(note: sarcastic tone intentional.)

Who the heck is this guy?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:49:17 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »

Hey JV. This is not a verse, but maybe you should just take a peek at "Surprised By Christ" by Fr. James Bernstein. It might give you some insight as to how he saw Christ as the Messiah.

PP
+1

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »

JV--If your intent is to explore Christianity and not to debate it, choosing the Free-for-all/Religious Topics may have been a mistake. If you send me a private message, I may be able to help you with your options. Second Chance, Section Moderator

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 02:07:41 AM »

Actually, Second Chance, he had chosen the Other Topics area, but Michael moved it here.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »

I am not too knowledgable on the subject, but awhile ago I came across a series of YouTube videos that seem well-researched.

(Note, these are all responses to other videos, the originals of which are linked on the YT pages.)

"Jesus IS the Messiah"
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4SGhd5AJZY
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-FJTvJPfE
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiymxRZtEdA
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1tTBleyLJA
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1D5HjC0qiY

Responses to a Rabbi
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5DExDJEdTA
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCphSnAv6Js
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt_4IrU3K7Q

Aside from these, reading the Gospel of Matthew couldn't hurt. It is full of references to prophecy.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »

At the risk of getting my behind kicked by an expert Jewish theologian when I barely know anything about the Old Testament, how about Psalm 51?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 04:04:17 PM »

At the risk of getting my behind kicked by an expert Jewish theologian when I barely know anything about the Old Testament, how about Psalm 51?

Protestant or Orthodox?

I'm going to need this.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 05:31:19 PM »

Protestant or Orthodox?

Damn, I mean Orthodox. In Orthodoxy it is Psalm 50 right?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »

Protestant or Orthodox?

Damn, I mean Orthodox. In Orthodoxy it is Psalm 50 right?

Yes, the traditional numbering is Psalm 50 (if you're referring to the penitential psalm). Sometimes, in order to avoid that confusion, people will just write Psalm 50(51).

I'm going to need this.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »

Hey JV,

Maybe you can help us get to know you a little better by humoring me with this question; I believe you when you tell us you're Jewish.  What I find a little different is that you're using Islamic art as your avatar.  You see, Muslims aren't allowed to draw or paint pictures of animals or humans.  Something about only God can create life, so we shouldn't even try.  I don't know, I think Muhammad may have misunderstood art.  But anyway, I think your avatar, although in the shape of a tiger is actually an ayat (verse) from the Qur'an.  I understand this question is off topic so you can PM me if you want to.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »

Hey JV,

Maybe you can help us get to know you a little better by humoring me with this question; I believe you when you tell us you're Jewish.  What I find a little different is that you're using Islamic art as your avatar.  You see, Muslims aren't allowed to draw or paint pictures of animals or humans.  Something about only God can create life, so we shouldn't even try.  I don't know, I think Muhammad may have misunderstood art.  But anyway, I think your avatar, although in the shape of a tiger is actually an ayat (verse) from the Qur'an.  I understand this question is off topic so you can PM me if you want to.
My avatar and sig come from Ismailism philosophy. As most people know them  as Assassins( Hashasheen) during the crusades. I like crusade history but not the normal way as Christians would I guess. There were also Jews in this group of Assassins as well fighting with the Ismailism sect of Muslims and they helped bring Jerusalem back from  out of the hands of the Christians. 
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 06:07:41 AM »

Hope none of these questions are offensive, but I have never talked to a Jew before so I am curious. Out of curiousity, does the Jewish faith Canonize certain individuals as Saints like we do in the Orthodox Church? And would a Christian be allowed to marry a Jew or attend a Jewish synagogue out of curiousity? Also, do you believe a Savior will come one day like David or Moses?

EDIT: Not Psalm 50(51), how about Psalm 22? This seems to clearly refer to Jesus.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:16:45 AM by JamesR » Logged

jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »

Hope none of these questions are offensive, but I have never talked to a Jew before so I am curious. Out of curiousity, does the Jewish faith Canonize certain individuals as Saints like we do in the Orthodox Church? And would a Christian be allowed to marry a Jew or attend a Jewish synagogue out of curiousity? Also, do you believe a Savior will come one day like David or Moses?

EDIT: Not Psalm 50(51), how about Psalm 22? This seems to clearly refer to Jesus.
The Jewish faith has many sects just like Christians do so some of these questions could be giving different answers. I'm not an Orthodox Jew but lean more towards Karaite Jew. Karaite's dont follow the Talmud or( the oral laws). There is no Karaite shul ( Church ) in my area so when I do go I go to a Reform Jewish shul. In Judaism we don't have Saints but we do have Sages kinda like just your Church Fathers with out the Saint part added
If you where to meet a nice Orthodox or Karaite Jewish gal the only way that you could marry her would be to convert to Judaism or she left the faith. Reform Jewish gal could marry you and not have to leave the faith. In the Reform movement is very open to all people and you see alot of mixed faith members at Shul and also how they see one as being a Jew also is different example is if a father is Jewish and the mother isn't the child is seen as a Jew in Reform but the other groups(Orthodox ) is only by the mother.

Shul is open to anyone who would wish to come and see. I would suggest a Reform one over an Orthodox one. Reason being is there are all ready Christians who do tend to go with there other half. I would also suggest that you phone ahead to let the Rabbi know that you would wish to visit as we have to deal with well haters alot people looking to do harm and they kinda like a heads up on a new comer who isn't known. Most Shuls when you leave service and it's night time will have Cops or rent a cops  Tongue in the parking lot when leaving Shul yes it is really this bad in some areas.  

We Jews already have a Savior G-d we don't view the Messiah as a savior we already have one in G-d. Messiah will 1) Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

2) Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

3) Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

4) Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world -- on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

If you would want to learn more on how Jews view the Messiah I would suggest the book  "The Real Messiah" by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting the last part but wanted to answer your questions as others have answered my question here
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:53:13 AM by jewish voice » Logged
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 08:07:50 AM »

You may find that this lack of Messiah is new to Judaism.

I'm going to need this.
mark thomas

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:32 AM »

PP

It's an excellent book. But, if you're going to go that route, why not just contact Fr. Bernstein directly? His Surprised by Christ website has an email link to contact him:
 http://www.surprisedbychrist.com/

He's also the Rector of St. Paul's Antiochan Church in Lynnwood, WA, which has a website (but no direct email to Fr. Bernstein).

I don't know how easy it is to actually reach him, but I've never met a priest yet who wasn't willing to talk to an inquirer Smiley

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »

Jews do not canonize people, though certain rabbis throughout history have acquired a status not unlike that of St. John Chrysostom or St. Basil; the rest of your questions differ based on the Jewish denomination.

mark thomas

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »

I was 'googling' trying to find that book I mentioned when I found this. Note at the bottom says "This list was adapted and edited from from a list I found on the internet somewhere. It looks like it may be an nth generation derivative of the book I read many years ago.

Obviously, the compiler of this list is very (polemically) Protestant, of the every-word-is-literal variety, which is NOT an Orthodox perspective.

I wanted to go through this list before posting, but I'm covering emergency work this weekend, and it appears I will not have time to do so. So, let me be clear: I'm not personally endorsing this particular list, although it appears to be very close to the one I remember. That being said, perhaps it may provide a useful starting point for investigation and/or discussion.

http://www.preservedwords.com/prophecies.htm

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »

Here is a link that may or may not help you... http://christianthinktank.com/falsechrist.html

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »

Hey JV,

Maybe you can help us get to know you a little better by humoring me with this question; I believe you when you tell us you're Jewish.  What I find a little different is that you're using Islamic art as your avatar.  You see, Muslims aren't allowed to draw or paint pictures of animals or humans.  Something about only God can create life, so we shouldn't even try.  I don't know, I think Muhammad may have misunderstood art.  But anyway, I think your avatar, although in the shape of a tiger is actually an ayat (verse) from the Qur'an.  I understand this question is off topic so you can PM me if you want to.
My avatar and sig come from Ismailism philosophy. As most people know them  as Assassins( Hashasheen) during the crusades. I like crusade history but not the normal way as Christians would I guess. There were also Jews in this group of Assassins as well fighting with the Ismailism sect of Muslims and they helped bring Jerusalem back from  out of the hands of the Christians.  

I see.  Well, thanks for the explanation.  As I thought it would, your explanation has created further questions; the one I'll focus on seems to challenge your question to us here and that is this: Your avatar and signature seem to be rather polemic and a veiled threat to Christians (seeing how Ismaili's helped overthrow Christianity in Jerusalem).  That seems to be your one and only affection for them. How then can we possibly take you serious when asking for an explanation that Jesus is Lord?  If I am wrong, I apologize to you.  But certainly the thought must have crossed your mind that we might be a little distrusting?  Plus, you've been given some evidence already and it seems you've yet to address it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:29:19 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »

I was 'googling' trying to find that book I mentioned when I found this. Note at the bottom says "This list was adapted and edited from from a list I found on the internet somewhere. It looks like it may be an nth generation derivative of the book I read many years ago.

Obviously, the compiler of this list is very (polemically) Protestant, of the every-word-is-literal variety, which is NOT an Orthodox perspective.

I wanted to go through this list before posting, but I'm covering emergency work this weekend, and it appears I will not have time to do so. So, let me be clear: I'm not personally endorsing this particular list, although it appears to be very close to the one I remember. That being said, perhaps it may provide a useful starting point for investigation and/or discussion.

http://www.preservedwords.com/prophecies.htm
Thank you very much Mark for this link and is much what I was looking for and I will start to read these and see what I think.
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »

Hey JV,

Maybe you can help us get to know you a little better by humoring me with this question; I believe you when you tell us you're Jewish.  What I find a little different is that you're using Islamic art as your avatar.  You see, Muslims aren't allowed to draw or paint pictures of animals or humans.  Something about only God can create life, so we shouldn't even try.  I don't know, I think Muhammad may have misunderstood art.  But anyway, I think your avatar, although in the shape of a tiger is actually an ayat (verse) from the Qur'an.  I understand this question is off topic so you can PM me if you want to.
My avatar and sig come from Ismailism philosophy. As most people know them  as Assassins( Hashasheen) during the crusades. I like crusade history but not the normal way as Christians would I guess. There were also Jews in this group of Assassins as well fighting with the Ismailism sect of Muslims and they helped bring Jerusalem back from  out of the hands of the Christians.  

I see.  Well, thanks for the explanation.  As I thought it would, your explanation has created further questions; the one I'll focus on seems to challenge your question to us here and that is this: Your avatar and signature seem to be rather polemic and a veiled threat to Christians (seeing how Ismaili's helped overthrow Christianity in Jerusalem).  That seems to be your one and only affection for them. How then can we possibly take you serious when asking for an explanation that Jesus is Lord?  If I am wrong, I apologize to you.  But certainly the thought must have crossed your mind that we might be a little distrusting?  Plus, you've been given some evidence already and it seems you've yet to address it.
Being that this is the internet I can see why you might question someone on if they were serious but I did ask the question. I haven't posted back on some of the readings yet cause I'm still trying to to think them over and  some where just posted today so I have yet to read them. I also wanted to add that If I were to convert over to Christian it would be Orthodox cause Rome was pretty bad to us Jews with there back door deals
ps lots of fixes on this due to my key's acting up and sticking
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:56:21 PM by jewish voice » Logged
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »

I think I'm going to contact a priest to answer and guide me on my questions. So how should I address him in my email should it be father or priest or something else. Should I wait to after um your High Holy days to email one due to he might be to busy at this time. and can anyone here read Romanian the church's web site is all in Romanian and I would like to know what it says it gives times in english but I don't know what the rest of it says. here's the website to the church http://www.sf-andrei.com/home.shtml there isn't  much info though on the sight though
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »

Is that the nearest Orthodox church to you?

You would refer to the priest as "Father Name".

Don't wait.

Contact him now.  Perhaps he will have time to read his email and be able to help you.

It would be great if you could attend one of the Paschal services and see what we are all about!

I hope you come with an open heart and mind, and truly "see" what will be before your eyes.

:-)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »

Is that the nearest Orthodox church to you?

You would refer to the priest as "Father Name".

Don't wait.

Contact him now.  Perhaps he will have time to read his email and be able to help you.

It would be great if you could attend one of the Paschal services and see what we are all about!

I hope you come with an open heart and mind, and truly "see" what will be before your eyes.

:-)

It's one of the nearest Orthodox church's I have 2 Greek,2 OCA a ROCOR and this one  I guess I live in a big Orthodox area and most people would like this as there all with in 10 t0 30 mins away  from where I live
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »

Excellent for you!

Perhaps you should pick the OCA, as it is guaranteed to be in English, and you will understand more.

I, too, am lucky to live in an area peppered with all kinds of flavors of Orthodoxy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »

Excellent for you!

Perhaps you should pick the OCA, as it is guaranteed to be in English, and you will understand more.

I, too, am lucky to live in an area peppered with all kinds of flavors of Orthodoxy!

I was thinking that but I seen on here some talk a bit down on OCA and the one Greek church here is in all english as well  here's a link to it http://saintmatts.wordpress.com/   
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:51:38 AM by jewish voice » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

Seems like a nice church.  They seem very organized and active.

Contact Fr. Demetrius (there is an email address for him under "contact us") or just show up for services.

I wish you all the best.

—St. Isaac of Syria
djutzi

Jurisdiction: Greek Archdiocese

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »

Excellent for you!

I was thinking that but I seen on here some talk a bit down on OCA and the one Greek church here is in all english as well  here's a link to it http://saintmatts.wordpress.com/   
Hi, I moderate the St. Matthew's Orthodox Church website and I noticed a few visitors from this posting.  Our priest, Fr. Demetrius, is VERY approachable and knowledgeable.  And, what's more, he's excellent with Jewish/Christian dialogue.  So don't hesitate to contact him.  Feel free to call the phone number on the website.  By the way, you can call him "Demetrius" and he won't be offended.

Oh, and you are much welcome to visit.  We have many services during this Lenten season, as you see on the website. Smiley
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum, djutzi!

The website is great.

I've been looking at it, and plan to go back to listen to some of the sermons!

Grin

—St. Isaac of Syria
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »

Excellent for you!

JV, You're really blessed to have all these Eastern Orthodox Churches in your area.  Now that you've gotten a personal invitation, I implore you to go.  Go now.  At the very least, perhaps you could email Fr. Demetrius.  I did something similar eight years ago when I cold-called our priest.  I'd never met or spoke with him prior.  Best decision of my life.  Along with getting married.  Wink  So go!  What have you got to lose? 

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »

Saul, a devout Jew, was a huge persecutor of the Christians. He hated them and tried to destroy them. But God spoke to Saul and blinded him. Jesus appeared to Saul and asked " why do you persecute me"? When Saul recovered, he joined the apostles and became St Paul, one of our greatest martyr-saints. . No one who hated Christians the way he did would turn and become a Christian Martyr the way he did, if it was not for Jesus touching his life the way He did.  This is in the Bible. The Christians didn't convince him, Jesus did.   We should pray to St Paul to guide you on you journey.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 07:19:40 PM »

You might be interested in the book Jesus And The Jewish Roots Of The Eucharist by Brant Pitre. It is written by a Roman Catholic, but shouldn't contradict anything a Orthodox priest might tell you. I started reading it and found it very heavy in ancient Jewish theology and history. 
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: