OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:29:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: disposing of holy plastic  (Read 2348 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: March 15, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »

How do you dispose of plastic items like bags or bottles that have contained holy oil or other holy things?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:05:30 AM »

wash and reuse?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:15:36 AM »

Burn?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:46:54 AM »

Bottles or other containers, whatever they are made of, which have contained holy water, should be allowed to dry out completely. The container can then be reused or disposed of.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »

Burn?

Have you have tried burning plastic? 

I was actually wondering this myself as I was just given a bottle of holy water from Pochaiv. 
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »

Many times.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »

Many times.

What's your secret?  Huh  It's never worked too well for me.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »

I have never had any problems with that. A scar on my right hand certifies that.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »

Dear samkim,

When you say holy oil, I assume you mean from vigil lamp or the like,
not the Myron or Holy Unction.  If it is Myron or Holy Unction then give it to your priest.  (Sometimes these things did get into peoples homes, especially in the past.)

I wash them out discarding the water under my trees.  Then reuse or recycle.  If past useful life and can't be recycled then you have to dispose of it. 

I would not suggest buring plastic as that might be toxic? 
I like the idea of recycling best. I also recycle paper items.

love, elephant
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »

I wouldn't burn plastic.  The burning of it, releases toxins in to the air, and in to your lungs.

Besides, it melts really fast and can cause severe burns.

I liked the suggestion of drying it out if it was Holy Water. 

If it's "oil" than perhaps rinse it well, even with slightly soapy warm water, and discard the water under plants, or where nobody walks...then air dry and dispose of properly.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »

Throw them in the trash.

We need a "Ask Hyperdox Herman" thread for these sortsa things. augustin, should answer the questions.

FWIW, don't "recycle" plastic. It is a scam.

And no, I am not backing that claim up. Do you your own googling or get a job working in a global consumer products company.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »

I disagree.

Do not throw remnants of holy oil in the trash.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »

I disagree.

Do not throw remnants of holy oil in the trash.

Disagree with what? Are they making plastic out of holy petroleum now?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »

If you had actually read the OP, the question refered to plastic bottles and bags, that had remnants of holy water or oil in them.

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »

If you had actually read the OP, the question refered to plastic bottles and bags, that had remnants of holy water or oil in them.

And? I did read the OP.

What is a remnant? Anyone this cautious ain't tossing bottles of Holy Water into the trash, they are empty for all intents and purposes. Letting them "dry out"? Where? The kitchen? So the air is OK there for disposal of water but the drain there is not?

The OP is fine.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »

So, if there's still half a bottle of holy oil....should one just throw it in the trash with the rotting remains of yesterday's dinner?

...or should the measurement be 1/4 of the bottle, or an 1/8th?  At what amount does it lose its sanctity, that allows it to be discarded in the trash?

By the way, I don't know how your kitchen drain works....but, the air in my kitchen I find to be cleaner and more pleasant than if something goes down the kitchen drain and eventually ends up in a not so desirable place.  Smiley

The point is, each person will do what they feel is "good enough", however, the teachings shouldn't be slackened just to suit someone's need to take the easy route.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »

Just bury it in the ground. Blessed things do not belong in the dump with full diapers and rotting food stuffs.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »

So, if there's still half a bottle of holy oil....should one just throw it in the trash with the rotting remains of yesterday's dinner?

...or should the measurement be 1/4 of the bottle, or an 1/8th?  At what amount does it lose its sanctity, that allows it to be discarded in the trash?

By the way, I don't know how your kitchen drain works....but, the air in my kitchen I find to be cleaner and more pleasant than if something goes down the kitchen drain and eventually ends up in a not so desirable place.  Smiley

The point is, each person will do what they feel is "good enough", however, the teachings shouldn't be slackened just to suit someone's need to take the easy route.

Again, the point is missed.

Yes, it sounds like the OP is taking the easy route. And yes the OP was talking about full or quarter filled bottles.

Empty is the operative word.

I'll tell the Priests who I've seen not following your rules that they are taking the easy way out.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

Just bury it in the ground. Blessed things do not belong in the dump with full diapers and rotting food stuffs.

What do you think is happening in the ground anywhere? Things are rotting, decomposing, etc.

This is the problem when you start trying to write rules and give unfounded reasons for them, you ignore the spirit, which is usually rather common-sensical.

Anyone concerned about the matter is pretty much not going to do it wrong.

Really, the answer to the above is not to use plastic in the first place or just re-use it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:08:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

According to canon 1895 of the Synod of Gangra holy plastic bottles must be brought to the bishop who first will perform a de-sanctification hierourgy after which they will be recycled at the closest monastery . Those that dare do otherwise will incur the divine wrath both in this life and in the age to come.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »

Saint Barsanuphious of Ampoulopolis recounts how in a divine vision he saw a woman haunted and tormented by all holy plastic bottles she disposed of without following the proper procedures. The attack became vicious as she passed through toll-house 43.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »

The small plastic baggies contained phials of lamp oil from holy places in the Middle East. Some dripped out. it has congealed some in the baggies. it's kind of gross, but I don't want to toss it in the trash, as the oil was from holy places.

I'm not sure if one should bury plastic, Nick.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »

Yes, it sounds like the OP is taking the easy route. And yes the OP was talking about full or quarter filled bottles.

I'll tell the Priests who I've seen not following your rules that they are taking the easy way out.

The OP is NOT taking any way out....they are asking what should be done....and we are offering our individual opinions.

What is the definition of "empty"....is there enough to make a droplet?  A droplet has more than enough of God's Grace in it to perform a wonderous miracle.  If not, than what was the point of the oil in the first place?

You can tell your priests whatever you like....because I am simply repeating what I have been taught, and not some silly "rule" of my own.  

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »

The OP is NOT taking any way out....they are asking what should be done....and we are offering our individual opinions.

What is the definition of "empty"....is there enough to make a droplet?  A droplet has more than enough of God's Grace in it to perform a wonderous miracle.  If not, than what was the point of the oil in the first place?  

The point is for miracle working? Uh-oh . . .

In that case, perhaps it is best it goes into the landfill, maybe it will miraculously clean them up.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »

Again you are missing the point. Not matter how explicit it has been made. I'll leave you to your incoherence.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

The small plastic baggies contained phials of lamp oil from holy places in the Middle East. Some dripped out. it has congealed some in the baggies. it's kind of gross, but I don't want to toss it in the trash, as the oil was from holy places.

The point is to have a reverential attitude. This is not magic we are dealing with, no matter what the tone of certain posts suggest.

If you are concerned about all of the solutions offered above, I am not sure what you want.

If you want to know how to "extract" that oil from the plastic (probably it has leached already into it), water and Dawn work wonders. But that wouldn't seem to help in this case.

Let me know how much trouble you want to go through and what level of risk to limb you are willing to go and I will give you a method.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:50:50 PM by orthonorm » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »

Again you are missing the point. Not matter how explicit it has been made. I'll leave you to your incoherence.

I'm sorry that my logic seems to evade you.... 

On the other hand most of your ramblings lately elude the rest of us who can't make heads or tails out of what your actual point is.

If we, the uneducated masses, don't seem to "get" your point, perhaps you aren't very good at expressing it.

You might try to come down off that pedestal you've put yourself on and speak to us like equals.

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »

On the other hand most of your ramblings lately elude the rest of us who can't make heads or tails out of what your actual point is.

If we, the uneducated masses, don't seem to "get" your point, perhaps you aren't very good at expressing it.

You might try to come down off that pedestal you've put yourself on and speak to us like equals.

*suffering meekly the insults*

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »

You could heat the oil up and drain it out?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »

*suffering meekly the insults*

LOL!  Now, THAT'S a good one, as you are the one who is always slinging insults at folks! 

The meek shall inherit the Earth!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »

I just sort of collect them. I have a burn bag to burn eventually. And a few things I guess I would bury. With regard to water or oil, however, I just refill them, using water for holy water and olive oil for holy oil, and the remnant blesses the new stuff.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »

Excellent ideas!

—St. Isaac of Syria
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »

The point is to have a reverential attitude. This is not magic we are dealing with, no matter what the tone of certain posts suggest.

If you are concerned about all of the solutions offered above, I am not sure what you want.

If you want to know how to "extract" that oil from the plastic (probably it has leached already into it), water and Dawn work wonders. But that wouldn't seem to help in this case.

Let me know how much trouble you want to go through and what level of risk to limb you are willing to go and I will give you a method.

I don't understand why people have to speak so rudely.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:11:41 PM by samkim » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »

It's just the way some people are....I don't think they can help it.

Just forgive them and move on.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:16:21 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »

I don't understand why people have to speak so rudely.

Where was I rude?

Please, I was being serious.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »

Talked to that Mormon yet?

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 05:58:17 PM »

Orthonorm, why not just accept that some practices are traditional even if there is no logical explanation.  Disposing of plastic bottles as mentioned in this thread, possibly save burning, isn't harming anyone, so why protest?   
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »

Orthonorm, why not just accept that some practices are traditional even if there is no logical explanation.  Disposing of plastic bottles as mentioned in this thread, possibly save burning, isn't harming anyone, so why protest?  

I didn't.

But I would wonder how much of a tradition can be made of disposing of something as recent as plastic.

LBK's answer seemed sane to me among others.

EDIT: I was serious about giving him a specific method for getting oil out of that bag. I am a professional.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:11:42 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »

Orthonorm, why not just accept that some practices are traditional even if there is no logical explanation.  Disposing of plastic bottles as mentioned in this thread, possibly save burning, isn't harming anyone, so why protest?  

I didn't.

But I would wonder how much of a tradition can be made of disposing of something as recent as plastic.

LBK's answer seemed sane to me among others.

EDIT: I was serious about giving him a specific method for getting oil out of that bag. I am a professional.

Of course the obvious answer is to not use plastic if at all possible.  While there ultimately is no real difference between letting water evaporate and letting it go down the drain, why mock Pani Liza for a pious custom?   Live and let live. 
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »

Which Mormon? 

Oh, the one I never met, and yet you feel that I have something to apologize to him for?

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

And none of us need to.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »

I like the reuse option the best. 

Otherwise, you could go ultra-orthodox & wash out all your bottles in the baptismal font, that way it goes directly into the ground.  bam son. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »

I would agree.  Reuse is always best.

I just don't think that "burning" plastic is wise. 

Not only is it dangerous in the fact that someone might get burned by the messy glob....but, the toxic fumes are dangerous, as well.

—St. Isaac of Syria
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 11:21:29 PM »

The issue is already on the agenda of the forth coming Pan-orthodox Council.
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »

If you save, over the years, all the cleaned-and-dried-out holy oil/water bottles from church, before long, you'll have quite a collection of empty bottles on your hands.

If the church wants the empty bottles back after you clean them out properly and reverentially, fine.  If not, clean them out with soap and water, dispose of the water in a garden where it won't be trampled on, and once you are confident that the bottle is clean and free of residue, what else can you do?  If you don't want to keep it, throw it away.  At that point, it's just an empty bottle.  It's the content that is holy.  This reminds me what Christ said in the Gospel - Which is greater, the gift or the altar that makes the gift sacred?

Please don't turn holy oil and holy water into magic potiions. No one is telling you to desecrate holy things here, and I don't think anyone is implying that. Use it for what it's intended for, dispose of the remains reverentially, and deal with the plastic bottle appropriately.  Don't make a big deal out of it.  Just focus on Christ; you're intention is not to defile a plastic bottle because it once contained something holy that is now all gone, but simply to dispose of it.  What are you going to do, have a box in your basement with 50 or 60 washed out plastic bottles?  Are you kidding me?

Goodness, we Orthodox take ourselves too seriously sometimes. 

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »

You've worded it perfectly.

The point was to remove as much of the "holy" substance as possible before disposing of the empty container.

All the comments that followed were just extranuous and unnecessary bickering.

—St. Isaac of Syria
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

just go take em to the grocer and get a nickel for em
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: