OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 05:47:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenten lessons...apathy, laziness, passiveness  (Read 318 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:39 AM »

OK, so maybe not apathy, but definitely lazy and passive.  As we all go through Great Lent, we learn a great deal about ourselves.  What I'm learning about myself is that I still enjoy reading about Orthodoxy (Lives of the Saints, Holy Scripture, etc...), I find I'm really passive and lazy about it.  Meaning I suck at praying and putting these lessons into action.  For example, I have The Path To Salvation and The Ladder of Divine Ascent but I largely ignore them in favor of other books where I can just read and not worry about being asked to go beyond 'thinking' about it. 

Does anyone else find themselves in this predicament?  Also, please pray for me...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »

I can definitely relate brother. Let's talk soon and encourage each other. Pray for me also.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:26:25 AM »

Absolutely relate.

Too much about Orthodoxy, not enough Orthodoxy.

Lord, have mercy on us, your unworthy servants.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »

Same here.  Orthonorm posted an article the other day about "Akrasia", the undermining of our own will, and it hit home.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »

OK, so maybe not apathy, but definitely lazy and passive.  As we all go through Great Lent, we learn a great deal about ourselves.  What I'm learning about myself is that I still enjoy reading about Orthodoxy (Lives of the Saints, Holy Scripture, etc...), I find I'm really passive and lazy about it.  Meaning I suck at praying and putting these lessons into action.  For example, I have The Path To Salvation and The Ladder of Divine Ascent but I largely ignore them in favor of other books where I can just read and not worry about being asked to go beyond 'thinking' about it. 

Does anyone else find themselves in this predicament?  Also, please pray for me...

I definitely get this, and often find myself in the same place.  I still love to read the things that tell me "Hey stupid, put down this book and pray!" but instead choose to continue reading and thinking, convincing myself that I'll get to the prayer part soon, only soon doesn't come nearly often enough.

I'll pray for you, you pray for me.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: