Author Topic: Lenten lessons...apathy, laziness, passiveness  (Read 459 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Lenten lessons...apathy, laziness, passiveness
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:39 AM »
OK, so maybe not apathy, but definitely lazy and passive.  As we all go through Great Lent, we learn a great deal about ourselves.  What I'm learning about myself is that I still enjoy reading about Orthodoxy (Lives of the Saints, Holy Scripture, etc...), I find I'm really passive and lazy about it.  Meaning I suck at praying and putting these lessons into action.  For example, I have The Path To Salvation and The Ladder of Divine Ascent but I largely ignore them in favor of other books where I can just read and not worry about being asked to go beyond 'thinking' about it. 

Does anyone else find themselves in this predicament?  Also, please pray for me...
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
Re: Lenten lessons...apathy, laziness, passiveness
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »
I can definitely relate brother. Let's talk soon and encourage each other. Pray for me also.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:26:25 AM »
Absolutely relate.

Too much about Orthodoxy, not enough Orthodoxy.

Lord, have mercy on us, your unworthy servants.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »
Same here.  Orthonorm posted an article the other day about "Akrasia", the undermining of our own will, and it hit home.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »
OK, so maybe not apathy, but definitely lazy and passive.  As we all go through Great Lent, we learn a great deal about ourselves.  What I'm learning about myself is that I still enjoy reading about Orthodoxy (Lives of the Saints, Holy Scripture, etc...), I find I'm really passive and lazy about it.  Meaning I suck at praying and putting these lessons into action.  For example, I have The Path To Salvation and The Ladder of Divine Ascent but I largely ignore them in favor of other books where I can just read and not worry about being asked to go beyond 'thinking' about it. 

Does anyone else find themselves in this predicament?  Also, please pray for me...

I definitely get this, and often find myself in the same place.  I still love to read the things that tell me "Hey stupid, put down this book and pray!" but instead choose to continue reading and thinking, convincing myself that I'll get to the prayer part soon, only soon doesn't come nearly often enough.

I'll pray for you, you pray for me.
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011