OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 01:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The love of money is the root of all good  (Read 748 times) Average Rating: 0
Chiere
"You are right, Mor is wrong"
Moderated

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Indianapolis

To God Be the Glory!

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »

If you are rich you can't enter Heaven.

I don't mean to contradict you, but I think that if you use your riches wisely and help bring glory to God (say donate to a church or help the poor), then it is possible to enter the Heaven if you're rich.

Countdown to my oblation as an Oblate of St. Benedict:

Removed picture with profanity. You must stop. -Mina
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »

Related to this topic is the Christian teaching on usury, as has been pointed out. All major Christian churches now allow for collecting interest on loans by financial institutions, which is the basis of the financial markets, which allow for investing in all parts of the economy. I don't think that the modern economy could function without interest. However, all Christians were unilaterally opposed to charging any interest whatsoever on loans for around a millennium (despite the New Testament encouraging usury).

What do we chock this up to? Changing social conditions? I have to wonder if Christianity did not hold the world back with the teachings on interest. Maybe the closest we can ever get to an egalitarian society is one with a well-developed financial system where money is readily available to be lent, used productively and returned, and where this process is universally accessible.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Minnesotan
Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Interested in becoming Antiochian

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »

"If you are rich you can't enter Heaven."

Constantine and Justinian would be in huge trouble then.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »

If you are rich you can't enter Heaven.

I don't mean to contradict you, but I think that if you use your riches wisely and help bring glory to God (say donate to a church or help the poor), then it is possible to enter the Heaven if you're rich.

Jesus said all things are possible with God, but first he said that it was harder than a camel going through the eye of a needle, which is very difficult, in fact it is possible only when the camel is inside of it's mother as only a few cells. So being rich makes it so hard that it is advisable to give it away to the poor as he told the young man that day.

He also said that those who lived this life with much, already have their reward, and will be lower in Heaven.

Mark 10
The Rich and the Kingdom of God

17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’d ”

20“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

21Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it ise to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

26The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?”

27Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”

Luke 6
24“But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
25Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
26Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you,
for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: