OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:46:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earliest sources on Christmas date calculation  (Read 628 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »

I'm gathering any sources on this topic.  Do you have any good ones?   I'm looking for excerpts, books, letters, etc. on the subject.  I would like to see"talks" of when the earliest Christians talked about knowing the date of the nativity.

I've found Nicea+ which is easy.  But looking for Ante-Nicean sources.     BTW, this is not a loaded question.  I know I argue and bicker a lot on here on many issues...  This is straight up to gather sources and learn all about it.  Thanks!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

I've recommended this to you before.  It has a chapter or two on the origins of the Advent/Christmas/Epiphany cycle of feasts, with copious footnotes, citations, etc.  If you are doing a general study, I would start there.  If you have any specific questions, I could try to look through the book and see what might be helpful. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »

I've recommended this to you before.  It has a chapter or two on the origins of the Advent/Christmas/Epiphany cycle of feasts, with copious footnotes, citations, etc.  If you are doing a general study, I would start there.  If you have any specific questions, I could try to look through the book and see what might be helpful.  

Yes, I but I hesitate before I buy as I want to be sure it has very early information.   I have an interest in anything that points to early stuff.  I can find a lot of into post Nicea (time frame),  but I'm looking for pre-274A.D. info.

I know you'd appreciate where I'd go with that info too. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:40:29 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »

Yes, I but I hesitate before I buy as I want to be sure it has very early information.   I have an interest in anything that points to early stuff.  I can find a lot of into post Nicea (time frame),  but I'm looking for pre-274A.D. info.

The authors generally start from Scripture and go forward in time.  Obviously sometimes it's not possible to go that far back (e.g., there are no references in the NT to the keeping of feasts in honour of our Lady), but they generally start as early as possible and trace their development. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:28:15 PM »

I've recommended this to you before.  It has a chapter or two on the origins of the Advent/Christmas/Epiphany cycle of feasts, with copious footnotes, citations, etc.  If you are doing a general study, I would start there.  If you have any specific questions, I could try to look through the book and see what might be helpful.  

Why 274?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:55:11 PM »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/274

Um, Pope Felix died?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »

It's the year the pagan Roman emperor established the winter sun feast on 25 December.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »

It's the year the pagan Roman emperor established the winter sun feast on 25 December.

Aha!  Tongue

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »

Further proof that with the death Pope Felix, the Church turned to apostasy.  I am now persuaded to be a sedevacantist.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »

Aha!  Tongue

Exactly.  And if there is proof that the Christians celebrated the Nativity before 274 on December 25, it would help me come to peace with the church on this issue, as I have with Pascha.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »

The earliest proof of the celebration of Christmas was from 354 AD. Who knows how long it was celebrated before that. There are not many Christian manuscripts from pre 4th century. For conspiracy theorists, it is also notable that this is also the first reference to the celebration of Sol Invictus on that day. Sol Invictus was established as a cult in 274, but there is no evidence that Dec 25 was celebrated at that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronography_of_354
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:13:52 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »

I thought it was well known the earliest Christians did not celebrate even birthdays, much less Christ's. The day of someone's death was the appropriate memorial. Siting Christ's birthday, then, was an ecclesiastical exercise similar to choosing a calendar day for a saint. An auspicious day was chosen, agreement was found, and that's that. (Nor was this done in a corner, and there are records of the discussion.)

The book Mor linked is one I'd sure like to have.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 03:19:29 PM »

I thought it was well known the earliest Christians did not celebrate even birthdays, much less Christ's. The day of someone's death was the appropriate memorial. Siting Christ's birthday, then, was an ecclesiastical exercise similar to choosing a calendar day for a saint. An auspicious day was chosen, agreement was found, and that's that. (Nor was this done in a corner, and there are records of the discussion.)

What is interesting about this comment (if correct) is that if it is true, then based on tradition there is no reason to celebrate it.   I'm still trying to gather deep sources and find super early stuff.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »

What is interesting about this comment (if correct) is that if it is true, then based on tradition there is no reason to celebrate it.   I'm still trying to gather deep sources and find super early stuff.
Does celebrating Christ's birth bring you closer or further from Him?  I think that is the more important question, not whether there can be located some text from the 2nd or 3rd century that references it.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »

While it might be nigh impossible to find a festal celebration of Christ's birth pre-4th Century, there are plenty of 3rd century sources speculating about the date of His birth being the 25th of December based off the belief that His conception (also not celebrated as a feast quite yet) must have happened on the 25th of March. Various reasons are given for this speculated date - the belief that the creation of the world happened on that date some 4000 years prior, the Jewish custom that a prophet died on the same date as his conception, and one or two others.

This website gives a good list of primary sources: http://www.ancient-future.net/christmasdate.html

I would also not be too surprised to find that pre-Nicea the Church didn't have too many feasts. It might be kind of difficult to celebrate regular feasts with one's religion being generally illegal.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:31:10 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

In case nobody has referred to this article:

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/new-testament/how-december-25-became-christmas/

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 04:23:06 PM »

If your cut-off date is A.D. 150 or something, then sure. But that's not how Holy Tradition works.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »

I would also not be too surprised to find that pre-Nicea the Church didn't have too many feasts. It might be kind of difficult to celebrate regular feasts with one's religion being generally illegal.

It's more like pre-Diocletian.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »

It's more like pre-Diocletian.

I was speaking strictly of the celebration of Christmas, which was stated earlier in this thread as having 354 as being the first record of its celebration. The references I mentioned and linked to were all speculation as to the date of the birth (in most cases, actually conception, after which I believe most of us posters are capable of counting to 9) of Christ without any evidence of the intent to celebrate said birth. Indeed, the one reference that has anything at all to do with celebration is a pseudo-Cyprian work about celebrating... Pascha.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »

Yet references we have, to Traditional beliefs and practices, in manuscripts that survive (remember most don't), treat such things as already believed and practiced. That's why I tend to push the origins back to before the sources -- it's only respectful to the authors of the sources, if nothing else.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:06:39 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »

Yes, but if you have two 3rd Century sources from very different geographic locations speculating on the date of the conception, it makes it pretty clear that both the Annunciation and Nativity were not celebrated throughout much of the Church at that time. Origen considered the matter to not even be worthy of speculation - certainly not something one would say about about a celebration already being practiced. Indeed, of the 4th Century sources, I am having a hard time for anyone claiming that such things were already believed and practiced. St John Chrysostom is all for separating the celebration of Nativity in Antioch from Jan 7's Theophany celebration to its own feast on the 25th.

The closest we can come to "already believed and practice" was the widespread practice of the Church of celebrating Theophany in early January, which covered a whole range of events in the Lord's life - a sort of jack-of-all feasts before it became (for us) about the Baptism and (for the West) about the Magi. But no one was claiming this date as the actual date for the birth- or for the Baptism or the Wedding at Cana. That the celebration existed is, of course, good enough for you or me, but I doubt Yesh is willing to accept January 7 as being close enough for clerical work. But the Jan 7 celebration combined with pre-Diocletian speculation placing the date of the birth to December 25th might work for the purposes of the OP as placing Christmas as being above pandering to a pagan audience.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »

Well you're absolutely right I'm sure, and at any rate I was speaking in general terms.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:14 PM »

Yes, but if you have two 3rd Century sources from very different geographic locations speculating on the date of the conception, it makes it pretty clear that both the Annunciation and Nativity were not celebrated throughout much of the Church at that time. Origen considered the matter to not even be worthy of speculation - certainly not something one would say about about a celebration already being practiced. Indeed, of the 4th Century sources, I am having a hard time for anyone claiming that such things were already believed and practiced. St John Chrysostom is all for separating the celebration of Nativity in Antioch from Jan 7's Theophany celebration to its own feast on the 25th.

The closest we can come to "already believed and practice" was the widespread practice of the Church of celebrating Theophany in early January, which covered a whole range of events in the Lord's life - a sort of jack-of-all feasts before it became (for us) about the Baptism and (for the West) about the Magi. But no one was claiming this date as the actual date for the birth- or for the Baptism or the Wedding at Cana. That the celebration existed is, of course, good enough for you or me, but I doubt Yesh is willing to accept January 7 as being close enough for clerical work. But the Jan 7 celebration combined with pre-Diocletian speculation placing the date of the birth to December 25th might work for the purposes of the OP as placing Christmas as being above pandering to a pagan audience.

It's not really a matter of acceptance of proof of specifics.  I'm just gathering all the sources I can.  Many things point, and speculation existed....

Ananias of Shirak (post 274) had a very interesting way he calculated the date. http://www.ccel.org/ccel/pearse/morefathers/files/ananias_of_shirak_on_christmas_02_text.htm

Of course that is latter calculation, but interesting none the less.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 01:45:44 AM »

I don't think the date Christ was born can be precisely discovered, but I'm not sure what the purpose, besides respectful curiosity, of discovering it would be. After all, we do celebrate the fact of his being born, and when the Church celebrates is when the Christian celebrates. To cut oneself off and celebrate in a closet would be not to celebrate at all.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »

The thread was kind of dying off so I'm going to see if anybody has any other types of sources.

Forgetting the date of the Nativity of our savior (as in actual day or time frame etc.) 

Are there any pre 274 A.D. sources, quotes, etc., giving glory to the birth of Christ or speaking about it?
(outside of the Bible)

It may help me in my quest.

Something that brings glory to his birth spoken by the earliest Christians or ? ? ?

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 02:19:28 AM »

The thread was kind of dying off so I'm going to see if anybody has any other types of sources.

Forgetting the date of the Nativity of our savior (as in actual day or time frame etc.) 

Are there any pre 274 A.D. sources, quotes, etc., giving glory to the birth of Christ or speaking about it?
(outside of the Bible)

Something that brings glory to his birth spoken by the earliest Christians or ? ? ?

How can the birth of Christ, and the means of salvation and reconciliation with God coming into the world, NOT be celebrated and glorified by Christians?

Honestly, Yesh, I often wonder why you ask such things.  Huh
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 03:03:57 AM »

(outside of the Bible)

What do you mean "giving glory to the birth of Christ" or "brings glory to his birth"? 

What do you mean "outside of the Bible"? 

What do you mean "sources" and "quotes"?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »

For me, I celebrate Christmas because is is kind of an important point in Christ's life. I don't really care what the actual day that he was born on. It could be Dec 25 or July 4 for all I care. The important thing is the rememberance that God incarnated and walked among us. If that isn't cause for celebration, I don't know what is.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »

Aha!  Tongue

Exactly.  And if there is proof that the Christians celebrated the Nativity before 274 on December 25, it would help me come to peace with the church on this issue, as I have with Pascha.
well if that is the case, then you can make your peace with when the birth of the Prince of Peace was announced with "Peace on Earth."
Rather, the pagan festival of the “Birth of the Unconquered Son” instituted by the Roman Emperor Aurelian on 25 December 274, was almost certainly an attempt to create a pagan alternative to a date that was already of some significance to Roman Christians. Thus the “pagan origins of Christmas” is a myth without historical substance.
IOW, the pagans copied the Christian festival, not the reverse.
http://touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=16-10-012-v

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »

Dec 25 seems to be a strange date to pick to worship the sun. Dec 21 is the shortest day of the year, so you would think you would pick either Dec 22, the day that the sun begins to lengthen in the sky, or June 21, the day that the sun is in the sky the longest. Why pick Dec 25?  That doesn't make much sense. Unless, perhaps, you are trying to co-opt someone else's holiday. The Christians gave their reasoning for calculating Dec 25, perhaps they did it incorrectly, but at least they had a rational for it.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »

(outside of the Bible)

What do you mean "giving glory to the birth of Christ" or "brings glory to his birth"? 

What do you mean "outside of the Bible"? 

What do you mean "sources" and "quotes"?

Anything that the early Christians would mention the birth at all or put any emphasis on the event.  Quotes from their writings or whatever.   

I just meant with "outside the bible" writings of early Christians that are not in the bible.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »

(outside of the Bible)

How can the birth of Christ, and the means of salvation and reconciliation with God coming into the world, NOT be celebrated and glorified by Christians?

Honestly, Yesh, I often wonder why you ask such things.  Huh

No I agree with you. Smiley  I'm just looking for sources of how - why - and what was thought about it by early Christians.

Minnesotan
Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Interested in becoming Antiochian

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »

The Armenians celebrate it on January 6/18 (depending on which calendar they use). If I'm not mistaken, this date is the original, dating back long before Constantine, and the Dec25/Jan7 date was adopted by the other churches later. LittleArmenia's article about it is here: http://www.littlearmenia.com/html/little_armenia/armenian_christmas.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcMxSF7QTMs
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:21:12 PM by Minnesotan » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »

The Armenians celebrate it on January 6/18 (depending on which calendar they use). If I'm not mistaken, this date is the original, dating back long before Constantine, and the Dec25/Jan7 date was adopted by the other churches later. LittleArmenia's article about it is here: http://www.littlearmenia.com/html/little_armenia/armenian_christmas.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcMxSF7QTMs

Thank you for the links.   I'm trying to get a bit before the "override part" (as spoken in the link) as an intense study on the nativity.  I think it's better to do while the nativity is still months away.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »

To add to my own thread, here is Anania Shirakatsi's writings:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/pearse/morefathers/files/ananias_of_shirak_on_christmas_02_text.htm

He quotes St. Polycarp, but I don't know if that was from one of Polycarp's writings or oral teachings.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: