OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:36:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question ~ What was the status of the Orthodox Church during the WWII  (Read 480 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
OC.net guru

« on: December 06, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »

Hello, I was wondering what was the status of the Christians and the Orthodox Church during the time of the World War II Hitler's holocaust? ...
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »

Hello, I was wondering what was the status of the Christians and the Orthodox Church during the time of the World War II Hitler's holocaust? ...

Be more specific please
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »

Be more specific please

+1

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »

During the time of Hitler and World War II.

Whatever happened to Orthodox Christians?

What was the status of the Orthodox Church while WWII was ongoing? What was happening at that time?..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:54:56 AM by WPM » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »

During the time of Hitler and World War II.

Whatever happened to Orthodox Christians?

What was the status of the Orthodox Church while WWII was ongoing? What was happening at that time?..

It varies from country to country. Apart from the Orthodox in the Soviet Union, Orthodox Christians of Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, and other countries were all involved in and affected by the war in different ways.

The Serbian Orthodox of Bosnia and Croatia faced genocide by the Nazi-allied Croatian ustashe.

The Greek church was also oppressed by the Nazi occupation and the archbishop saved many Jews' lives.

The Church of Russia was allowed to reopen by the Soviet authorities in order to boost morale.

Just some examples. You're asking about a huge and complex topic. Google is your friend.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »

Hitler actually allowed the Church (in ROCOR variety) to flourish since he hoped he gain support from the people being persecuted by Stalin for being religious. It also coincides with emergence of "autocephalous" Ukrainian or Belarusian Churches.

On the other hand, the Church was decimated by Hitler in the Czech lands for being connected to Heydrich assassination.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:00:54 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »

Based on what I understand, I am tired of hearing stories of Christians being persecuted and killed. Please report that news to someone else

In some News Reports why do hear of Christians being persecuted and killed in the Middle East?  Nothing like that ever happens in Texas or America because Christians are a lot more influential in this country (USA) than reports of small minorities being mistreated somewhere in the Middle East (Syria) ...  

Frankly, it makes me want to move on to Buddhism.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:22:01 PM by WPM » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »

Based on what I understand, I am tired of hearing stories of Christians being persecuted and killed. Please report that news to someone else

You just asked about what happened to Orthodox Christians in WWII. If you don't want to hear about it, don't ask.

In some News Reports why do hear of Christians being persecuted and killed in the Middle East?  Nothing like that ever happens in Texas or America because Christians are a lot more influential in this country (USA) than reports of small minorities being mistreated somewhere in the Middle East (Syria) ...  

You want to move on to Buddhism because Christians are persecuted? That makes no sense. In any case, Buddhist have been persecuted (and have persecuted others) throughout history.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »

Many Orthodox Christians perished in the Nazi concentration camps. Some are known to us as saints, such as New-martyr Maria of Paris and Ravensbruck, and those with her. Rather than saying "I am tired of hearing stories of Christians being persecuted and killed", you would do well to find out more about these people.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »

WPM,

Please consult your priest and your physician. Are you watching your diet, getting enough sleep, and taking your medications faithfully?

Know that I am praying for you.

In Christ,
Maria

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »

The Orthodox in Alaska also suffered in the war, both under the Japanese, who occupied and also removed many Aleutian Islanders to concentration camps in Japan, and under the American troops, who desecrated at least one Orthodox church while they were stationed there during the war. One faithful Orthodox Aleut had charge of the parish money box. He was carried off to Japan, but managed to keep the parish's money hidden from the Japanese all during his captivity.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 12:18:32 AM »

The Orthodox in Alaska also suffered in the war, both under the Japanese, who occupied and also removed many Aleutian Islanders to concentration camps in Japan, and under the American troops, who desecrated at least one Orthodox church while they were stationed there during the war. One faithful Orthodox Aleut had charge of the parish money box. He was carried off to Japan, but managed to keep the parish's money hidden from the Japanese all during his captivity.

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »

WPM,

Please consult your priest and your physician. Are you watching your diet, getting enough sleep, and taking your medications faithfully?

Know that I am praying for you.

In Christ,
Maria

Thank you I appreciate prayers
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 07:15:59 PM »

You just asked about what happened to Orthodox Christians in WWII. If you don't want to hear about it, don't ask.

You want to move on to Buddhism because Christians are persecuted? That makes no sense. In any case, Buddhist have been persecuted (and have persecuted others) throughout history.

Well, the history of persecution makes me question if that religion is really widespread or influential. (And not just a small minority group)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:16:30 PM by WPM » Logged
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »

Does History and the Churches have a parallel relationship? .. As if History were confluent to the Afterlife? ...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »

Well, the history of persecution makes me question if that religion is really widespread or influential. (And not just a small minority group)

Every religion is a small, persecuted minority somewhere.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »

Some of the worst atrocities committed against civilians in War War Two were done by Japanese Buddhists..  fyi

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 03:23:33 AM »

Some of the worst atrocities committed against civilians in War War Two were done by Japanese Buddhists..  fyi

You mean Shintoists?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »

Some of the worst atrocities committed against civilians in War War Two were done by Japanese Buddhists..  fyi

You mean Shintoists?

No, the Japanese Buddhist establishment was almost totally complicit with the state. Dissenting voices were pretty rare. There's a book out called Zen at War about how the Japanese Zen sects twisted Zen into fascist ideology: http://www.amazon.com/Zen-at-War-Daizen-Victoria/dp/0834804050/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's just an example. It was happening with all the Buddhist sects.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:08:35 AM by Iconodule » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »

I would be interested if anyone had any book titles or documentaries about what happened during WWII to the Japanese Orthodox Church.
Wiki gives this blurb:
During the Fifteen Years War (1930–1945), which from 1939 to 1945 was part of World War II, the Christians in Japan suffered severe conditions, the Orthodox Church especially. In 1945 after the Japanese surrender the Allied Occupation leaders had a generous attitude to Christian groups, given their predominantly American connections. As the majority of the Slavic- and Greek-Americans would attend local Orthodox Christian parishes, the Orthodox Christian community in Japan took a step forward. During the war the Japanese Orthodox Church had had almost no foreign contact. After the war instead of the Russian Orthodox Church the precursors of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) helped re-invigorate the Japanese Orthodox Church. The Japanese Orthodox Church became governed by bishops from the Orthodox Church in America,[2] and several youths who studied at the OCA's Saint Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary, then in New York City, are now leaders of the Japanese Orthodox Church
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Orthodox_Church

podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »

Some of the worst atrocities committed against civilians in War War Two were done by Japanese Buddhists..  fyi

You mean Shintoists?

No, the Japanese Buddhist establishment was almost totally complicit with the state. Dissenting voices were pretty rare. There's a book out called Zen at War about how the Japanese Zen sects twisted Zen into fascist ideology: http://www.amazon.com/Zen-at-War-Daizen-Victoria/dp/0834804050/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's just an example. It was happening with all the Buddhist sects.

The sad fact is that when ultra-nationalism and religion meet up. there will always be those willing to merge the two into an efficient killing machine.(Of course there will always be courageous resistors as well.)  That is why we  are to beware of wolves in sheeps' clothing and that not all who cry out "Lord, Lord" shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: