OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 04:08:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest who denied communion to lesbian suspended  (Read 6382 times) Average Rating: 0
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »

Priest who denied communion to lesbian suspended

By msnbc.com

A Maryland priest who denied communion to a lesbian at her mother's funeral has been placed on leave, according to the Roman Catholic archdiocese.

A letter from an archdiocese official said that the Rev. Marcel Guarnizo was placed on leave for engaging in intimidating behavior, according to NBCWashington.com. The archdiocese had previously apologized for Guarnizo’s behavior.

For the rest of the article:  http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/12/10652416-priest-who-denied-communion-to-lesbian-suspended

The only part I disagree with that priest is when he excused himself from the burial at the cemetery.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »

The commentary in the video was quite offensively undergraduate.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
kelfar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

Link:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/12/priest-who-allegedly-denied-communion-to-lesbian-placed-on-leave/?hpt=us_c2

Any comments?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

His suspension apparently had nothing to do with the Communion fiasco.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »

The priest should have gone to the funeral at the cemetery.  As for not giving communion to the woman, he was doing his job and if that is the reason they dumped him (despite the talking head saying that it was for "actions throughout the week") then it's a sign of a deeper rot in that archdiocese.

This part I found especially disturbing:

“When questions arise about whether or not an individual should present themselves for communion, it is not the policy of the Archdiocese of Washington to publicly reprimand the person,” the statement said. “Any issues regarding the suitability of an individual to receive communion should be addressed by the priest with that person in a private, pastoral setting.”

If someone is going to go up for communion, knowing that they cannot take it, when is the priest supposed to tell them no to take communion?  I sounded from what the priest said that he did everything correctly.  It is his duty to tell someone who is not prepared that they cannot commune.  To commune them is such a situation could risk damnation for both parties.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

There is a difference between Catholic and Orthodox approach to this.  A Catholic priest cannot deny someone Communion unless the person is obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and that person has been admonished by the priest privately first.  So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion, from the Catholic perspective, unless the priest knew this as a fact from her own lips beforehand, not secondhand, he had no right to deny her.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »

There is a difference between Catholic and Orthodox approach to this.  A Catholic priest cannot deny someone Communion unless the person is obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and that person has been admonished by the priest privately first.  So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion, from the Catholic perspective, unless the priest knew this as a fact from her own lips beforehand, not secondhand, he had no right to deny her.

Cardinal George Pell would disagree. More than once, he has refused to give communion to declared and unrepentant homosexuals, whether he has "admonished them privately" or not. And he's not the only one. All power to him and those like him, I say.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »

We don't know the details....but, lets just say that he "knew" that the deceased woman's daughter was a lesbian....and here she is before him, with her partner....and approaches for communion.  Is he just supposed to give it to her?

This is just another reason to have people go to Holy Confession before going to Holy Communion.  It would have given the priest a chance to "council her in private".

This way the priest also knows who is who, and who is approaching the Holy Gifts.  

My parish tradition is we Confess prior to going to Holy Communion.  This way when our priest notices an "unknown" face approaching, he quietly speaks to them, lifts the chalice for them to kiss, and has them move on.  Nobody except the person immediately behind them realizes the person didn't receive the Holy Gifts.

I went to an RC funeral last year (coworkers family member)....and for their Communion most of my coworkers went up too.  I know some are Catholic...but, then there was this one Baptist man...who happily went up and with a smirk on his face coming back up the aisle munching on the wafer...with a huge grin.  "Good cookie".

I know that priest didn't know who these people were.  But, he did in fact, give the Holy Gifts to a "non-believer".  This man thought it was all a joke.  While not RC, it still hurt me to see it happen.

So, I believe the priest has every right to withhold Communion.  It's his responsibility to safeguard the Gifts.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

Cardinal George Pell would disagree. More than once, he has refused to give communion to declared and unrepentant homosexuals, whether he has "admonished them privately" or not. And he's not the only one. All power to him and those like him, I say.

But a bishop can make that call a priest cannot, he must follow protocol.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »

We don't know the details....but, lets just say that he "knew" that the deceased woman's daughter was a lesbian....and here she is before him, with her partner....and approaches for communion.  Is he just supposed to give it to her?
If he has not spoken to her privately beforehand, Yes.

My parish tradition is we Confess prior to going to Holy Communion.  This way when our priest notices an "unknown" face approaching, he quietly speaks to them, lifts the chalice for them to kiss, and has them move on.  Nobody except the person immediately behind them realizes the person didn't receive the Holy Gifts.
But this is a difference between Catholic and Orthodox practice.  The Catholic Church presumes worthiness unless proven otherwise, the communicant being the one held responsible, the Orthodox Church presumes unworthiness unless proven otherwise the priest being the one held responsible.

I went to an RC funeral last year (coworkers family member)....and for their Communion most of my coworkers went up too.  I know some are Catholic...but, then there was this one Baptist man...who happily went up and with a smirk on his face coming back up the aisle munching on the wafer...with a huge grin.  "Good cookie".

I know that priest didn't know who these people were.  But, he did in fact, give the Holy Gifts to a "non-believer".  This man thought it was all a joke.  While not RC, it still hurt me to see it happen.
In these cases the priest is supposed to make an announcement that only properly prepared Catholics are to receive.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:23:57 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »

If he has not spoken to her privately beforehand, Yes.

So, the priest can never decline to give the Holy Gifts to someone who approaches, unless he's spoken to them first (in private)?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »

In my time in the RCC, the only time a priest ever told anyone to not come up for communion was a general announcement made at the Easter and Christmas masses (which were always packed full of people who never came at any other times of the year) that those who had not been to confession for some time should not present themselves for communion. It didn't stop anyone from receiving anyway, from what I can remember.

The Latin approach to communion makes very little sense to me.

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »

In my time in the RCC, the only time a priest ever told anyone to not come up for communion was a general announcement made at the Easter and Christmas masses (which were always packed full of people who never came at any other times of the year) that those who had not been to confession for some time should not present themselves for communion. It didn't stop anyone from receiving anyway, from what I can remember.

The Latin approach to communion makes very little sense to me.
yeah it's unacceptable, outrageous, blasphemous and it also attracts and stirs God's wrath (not the  heretical, Latin sort of wrath, beware)  if thorough investigations are not conducted into suspicious communicants'  FB pages, discussion forums, internet use in general and such. What a scandal!
I'm saying all this bc that sort of investigation happened to a friend of mine in an English speaking Orthodox parish. Alas he was found lacking in godly complementarian manliness  and Chicago was spared the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah. It also open a couple of other people's eyes and shattered any illusion they had about that place.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:25:36 PM by augustin717 » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

LOL!

I'm certain the person doesn't need to be investigated, however, I think a heartfelt confession wouldn't hurt.

Afterall, aren't' we taught that the Sacraments are a privilege and not a right?

—St. Isaac of Syria
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

LOL!

I'm certain the person doesn't need to be investigated, however, I think a heartfelt confession wouldn't hurt.

Afterall, aren't' we taught that the Sacraments are a privilege and not a right?

You are right in theory. In practice though, and for reasons that have little to do with Christianity people perceived to be gay will suffer closer scrutiny in than most other categories of sinners, in most, I would say, Orthodox settings.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »

LOL!

You are right in theory. In practice though, and for reasons that have little to do with Christianity people perceived to be gay will suffer closer scrutiny in than most other categories of sinners, in most, I would say, Orthodox settings.

But isn't that what gays do? Scrutiny? It's like the opposite of mutiny, when like all the sailors get along. And we know sailor is just seamen for gay.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »

LOL!

But isn't that what gays do? Scrutiny? It's like the opposite of mutiny, when like all the sailors get along. And we know sailor is just seamen for gay.

This is seriously the gayest sentence I've ever seen on OC.net. I'm pretty sure I have a bottle of beer stashed away for just such an occasion.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:31:27 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »

According to a person called John Shore, Ms Johnson had told the priest of her status as a lesbian woman in a relationship (she introduced her partner to him) before the service. Here is his report:

"Fr. Marcel was made aware that Barbara is gay when she and her partner of nineteen years met with him that morning well before the service began. It was his ecclesiastic responsibility to at that meeting offer to take Barbara’s confession and then grant her absolution; this would have allowed him to then in good conscience later offer her communion. And Barbara would have certainly been pleased to do a confession with Fr. Guarnizo.

“Obviously, I don’t think being gay is a sin,” she told me. “But this wasn’t about me. This was about about my wonderful mother having the beautiful funeral that she deserved. So yes, I would have let Father Marcel grant me absolution.”

But Fr. Marcel failed to offer Barbara that rite.
I spoke with Barbara on the phone the day before this story hit. She is an intelligent, kind, sensitive woman. She was extremely close to her mother, who fully accepted and loved Barbara’s partner as if she were another daughter."

http://johnshore.com/2012/02/29/father-no-communion-for-you-not-the-whole-story/

What intrigued me in this story is the expectation that absolution would be given for..what? Is he expected to give absolution to every sinner, no matter how unrepentant he is?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

Another funny thing here is to see all these people-well, some of them, maybe- that on other threads pontificate on how RC sacraments are graceless, getting all worried now about what a blasphemy could have taken place if that woman had communed.
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »

LOL!

In practice, I know of parishes where communion is withheld for all kinds of other canonical reasons. Indeed, it is easier to discern the reasons for most everything other than homosexual conduct. By the way, what does a "apathetic, ecumenist, indifferent, traditionalist, communist, philetist, accidental Orthodox (you forgot "nominal")" person such as yourself know about this things anyway?  Wink
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:38:52 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »

Of course the thing that made it into the news is that she is a lesbian and not that she herself has posted all over the internet that she (thinks she is anyway) Buddhist. Roll Eyes
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »

LOL!

In practice, I know of parishes where communion is withheld for all kinds of other canonical reasons. Indeed, it is easier to discern the reasons for most everything other than homosexual conduct. By the way, what does a "apathetic, ecumenist, indifferent, traditionalist, communist, philetist, accidental Orthodox (you forgot "nominal")" person such as yourself know about this things anyway?  Wink
It still provides me amusement. You know, a poor man's way of killing time. The bourgeois go on spiritual retreats.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »

Of course the thing that made it into the news is that she is a lesbian and not that she herself has posted all over the internet that she (thinks she is anyway) Buddhist. Roll Eyes

Surprise!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »

LOL!

It still provides me amusement. You know, a poor man's way of killing time. The bourgeois go on spiritual retreats.

Dear Cousin Augustin,

My mothers' ancestors emigrated from Bucharest to Veliko Trnovo so I hope you excuse my boldness in calling you cousin. And, for saying the following: I pray that underneath that flippant attitude there is some substance. I pray that you have the ember in you that will once again flare up into flame if you let the Holy Spirit in. After all, what is amusement if put against great joy and peace?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »

So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion

This singular "they" thing has gone way too far, when we can't even refer to a hypothetical lesbian as "she."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »

So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion

This singular "they" thing has gone way too far, when we can't even refer to a hypothetical lesbian as "she."

Calm yourself, it was a grammatical error not an agenda.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »

In that case he was perfectly within his right to refuse her Communion.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »

Calm yourself, it was a grammatical error not an agenda.

picture not functioning. -S1389
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:08:42 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I'm going to need this.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »

Wonderful. So she's refused because she's an apostate, not unrepentant. Scholasticism at its finest. Gimme a break, Dcn Lance!  Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:55:29 PM by LBK » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »

Wonderful. So she's refused because she's an apostate, not unrepentant. Scholasticism at its finest. Gimme a break, Dcn Lance!  Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

No Scholasticism involved at all.  If a person is proclaiming themselves an apsotate that is one thing.  One needs a private conversation to determine if a person is in a state of sin and unrepentant.  The Communion line is not the place for the first inquiry or admonishment.

I would also disagree with the article, that she should have been offered Confession and absolution before Mass so she could commune.  In order for absolution to be given the priest would have to have had some evidence that she meant to cease the sin, which I doubt she would have given.   For example, divorced and remarried people are expected to seperate from the new spouse in order to be readmitted.  This lady would have been simply going through the motions in order to get her way, as evidenced by her further comments.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:52 PM »

But there is no evidence he knew about her Buddhist "proclivities" beforehand.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »

In order for absolution to be given the priest would have to have had some evidence that she meant to cease the sin, which I doubt she would have given.   

QED. Hoist by your own petard, Dcn Lance.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »

...  As for not giving communion to the woman, he was doing his job and if that is the reason they dumped him ...then it's a sign of a deeper rot in that archdiocese.
...If someone is going to go up for communion, knowing that they cannot take it, when is the priest supposed to tell them no to take communion?  I sounded from what the priest said that he did everything correctly.  It is his duty to tell someone who is not prepared that they cannot commune.  To commune them is such a situation could risk damnation for both parties.
I agree.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »

No Scholasticism involved at all.  If a person is proclaiming themselves an apsotate that is one thing.  One needs a private conversation to determine if a person is in a state of sin and unrepentant.  The Communion line is not the place for the first inquiry or admonishment.

I disagree with the deacon. If the news reports that I read are correct, she proclaims herself to be a Buddhist, and she made the priest aware that she was  living with her lesbian partner.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »

Another funny thing here is to see all these people-well, some of them, maybe- that on other threads pontificate on how RC sacraments are graceless, getting all worried now about what a blasphemy could have taken place if that woman had communed.

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »

LBK

You are failing to distinguish between a priest to refusing Communion to one whom he has postively identified as obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and refusing it based on a hunch or worse rumor.

Refusing Communion in the Catholic Church is a big deal because by doing so the priest is proclaiming the person in a state of mortal sin and/or excommunication.  In the Orthodox Church one can be refused simply because the priest doesn't know you.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »

I disagree with the deacon. If the news reports that I read are correct, she proclaims herself to be a Buddhist, and she made the priest aware that she was  living with her lesbian partner.

And if true he should have informed then and there not to approach for Communion, not wait until Communion time.   

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »

LBK

You are failing to distinguish between a priest to refusing Communion to one whom he has postively identified as obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and refusing it based on a hunch or worse rumor.

Refusing Communion in the Catholic Church is a big deal because by doing so the priest is proclaiming the person in a state of mortal sin and/or excommunication.  In the Orthodox Church one can be refused simply because the priest doesn't know you.

Unless everyone knows you, and then $*i7 be gettins real.

I'm going to need this.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »

LBK

Rubbish. The guardian of the chalice, be he bishop, or priest obedient to his bishop, be he Orthodox or RC/EC, has the responsibility to ensure whoever approaches the chalice has prepared himself or herself properly. This includes confession and absolution, which can only be given by a priest or bishop where someone has expressed contrition and repentance for their sins, irrespective of the nature of their sins.

As you should know, we Orthodox don't distinguish between "venial" and "mortal" sins. Repentance is repentance. There is no evidence that this homosexual woman has repented from her sin, be it her engaging in homosexual acts, or her apostasy. It is repentance which allows us, Orthodox and Roman/Eastern Catholic alike, to approach the chalice.

Or am I mistaken about the RC/EC?
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.
According to the canon 69 of John the Faster a lesbian cannot even partake in graceless, heretical sacraments. Zonaras and Balsamon explain it would be second degree blasphemy. The neo-patristic theologians in order  to avoid any hint of scholasticism prefer to talk about " a type of blasphemy" or "ikonic blasphemy">
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:37:33 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »

LBK

Rubbish. The guardian of the chalice, be he bishop, or priest obedient to his bishop, be he Orthodox or RC/EC, has the responsibility to ensure whoever approaches the chalice has prepared himself or herself properly. This includes confession and absolution, which can only be given by a priest or bishop where someone has expressed contrition and repentance for their sins, irrespective of the nature of their sins.

As you should know, we Orthodox don't distinguish between "venial" and "mortal" sins. Repentance is repentance. There is no evidence that this homosexual woman has repented from her sin, be it her engaging in homosexual acts, or her apostasy. It is repentance which allows us, Orthodox and Roman/Eastern Catholic alike, to approach the chalice.

Or am I mistaken about the RC/EC?

You are mistaken.  In the Catholic Church it is the communicant who has the primary responsibilty for making sure he is properly prepared, having kept the Eucharistic fast and not having any unrepented mortal sin.  The Catholic Church doesn't require Confession before every Communion.  Confession is only required if one is aware of mortal sin.  Again the priest can only withhold Communion if he knows the person is not Catholic or is persistant in mortal sin he has privately admonished the person about already. 

And while not using the terminology venial and mortal, Orthodoxy certainly distinguishes between sins otherwise there would not be canons requiring years of non-communication for some sins and not others.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »

In the Catholic Church it is the communicant who has the primary responsibilty for making sure he is properly prepared, having kept the Eucharistic fast and not having any unrepented mortal sin. 
Which puts the responsibility of guarding the chalice on the layman, not the priest. Nice.  Tongue

The Catholic Church doesn't require Confession before every Communion.

Neither does the Greek church. But don't think that Greek priests aren't capable of turning away folks who have not properly prepared themselves. I've been around.  Wink

And while not using the terminology venial and mortal, Orthodoxy certainly distinguishes between sins otherwise there would not be canons requiring years of non-communication for some sins and not others.

We are pastoral, not legalistic.  Wink
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.
According to the canon 69 of John the Faster a lesbian cannot even partake in graceless, heretical sacraments. Zonaras and Balsamon explain it would be second degree blasphemy. The neo-patristic theologians in order  to avoid any hint of scholasticism prefer to talk about " a type of blasphemy" or "ikonic blasphemy">

Second degree Malachy with intent to sing musical numbers.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.

Well, it is one more problem that would have to be addressed before there could ever be a return of Rome to Orthodoxy.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »

Post of the month...?
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »

Which puts the responsibility of guarding the chalice on the layman, not the priest.
It is anyways.  Priests are not clairvoyant, a person can go through the motions and be unprepared and receive unworthily.  It is ultimately on their souls.

Neither does the Greek church. But don't think that Greek priests aren't capable of turning away folks who have not properly prepared themselves. I've been around.
Indeed, they may turn properly prepared folks away simply because they don't know them.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:47 PM »

Everyone seems to be ragging on the priest.  This woman had no business presenting herself because she's not even a practicing Catholic!  The Eucharist isn't given out except to the faithful. The Eucharist is not some outreach means to those who are not members of the body.

http://www.catholicvote.org/discuss/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Screen-shot-2012-03-07-at-1.16.45-PM.png

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

Everyone seems to be ragging on the priest.  This woman had no business presenting herself because she's not even a practicing Catholic!  The Eucharist isn't given out except to the faithful.
Well, that depends.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 03:12:06 AM »

Which puts the responsibility of guarding the chalice on the layman, not the priest.
It is anyways.  Priests are not clairvoyant, a person can go through the motions and be unprepared and receive unworthily.  It is ultimately on their souls.

Neither does the Greek church. But don't think that Greek priests aren't capable of turning away folks who have not properly prepared themselves. I've been around.
Indeed, they may turn properly prepared folks away simply because they don't know them.

More sophistry from Dcn Lance. Why am I not surprised?
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »

I don't see how the priest did not do the right thing. This woman was a practicing homosexual who was under a very grave sin. We are told not to take of the Eucharist unworthily and she should have known she was doing wrong in trying to take it. I believe also this woman is a practicing Bhudist. THe priest was perfectly reasonable in not giving her communion.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 06:04:26 AM »

In theory that is nice, but in reality my life in the MP is far, far more legalistic than my youth in the Catholic Church. 

In general Deacon Lance is saying that the onus is one the communicant to prepare.  This is only logical and practical - in large parishes it simply isn't possible for a priest to intimately know every person.  You claim the Orthodox Church is so high and mighty for protecting the sacrament - if the Orthodox Church cares so deeply about the sanctity of sacraments why does it allow divorce and remarriage in direct contradiction to the words of Christ? 
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 06:18:54 AM »

if the Orthodox Church cares so deeply about the sanctity of sacraments why does it allow divorce and remarriage in direct contradiction to the words of Christ? 

Ask the Fathers, saints and hymnographers who compiled the services for second and third marriages, and who allowed them into the liturgical deposit of the Church.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »

if the Orthodox Church cares so deeply about the sanctity of sacraments why does it allow divorce and remarriage in direct contradiction to the words of Christ? 

Ask the Fathers, saints and hymnographers who compiled the services for second and third marriages, and who allowed them into the liturgical deposit of the Church.

And Catholics say the same about their practices. 
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »

In theory that is nice, but in reality my life in the MP is far, far more legalistic than my youth in the Catholic Church. 

In general Deacon Lance is saying that the onus is one the communicant to prepare.  This is only logical and practical - in large parishes it simply isn't possible for a priest to intimately know every person.  You claim the Orthodox Church is so high and mighty for protecting the sacrament - if the Orthodox Church cares so deeply about the sanctity of sacraments why does it allow divorce and remarriage in direct contradiction to the words of Christ? 

With all due respect, the RC gives annulments and pretends there was no marriage, even when there are children involved and it makes those children illegitimate.  At least the Orthodox are honest enough to admit that there was a marriage and not that anyone at the wedding must have dreamed it.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:51 AM »

With all due respect, the RC gives annulments and pretends there was no marriage, even when there are children involved and it makes those children illegitimate.  At least the Orthodox are honest enough to admit that there was a marriage and not that anyone at the wedding must have dreamed it.

Such is a modern abuse mostly isolated to North America. 

My point is that LBK (and other Orthodox) have no leg to stand on when they criticize the Catholic Church for not guarding the sanctity of the sacraments when the Orthodox Church directly contradicts the very words of Christ.  The best part was LBK's justification - the development of doctrine!  If we're going to disagree with the Catholic Church, let's do so for valid theological reasons (Papal Infallibility, filioque and such) rather than petty squabbles over incidentals. 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

And Catholics say the same about their practices. 
What Fathers and saints dreamed up the corban factory/marriage tribunals?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

"What you loose on earth will be loose in heave"?

When a priest marries someone divorced from a faithful spouse, he is flouting the Orthodox Church.  When the corban factory annulls a marriage, it is following the Vatican.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

I don't see how the priest did not do the right thing. This woman was a practicing homosexual who was under a very grave sin. We are told not to take of the Eucharist unworthily and she should have known she was doing wrong in trying to take it. I believe also this woman is a practicing Bhudist. THe priest was perfectly reasonable in not giving her communion.
That's right. And she was public about her Buddhism, writing papers professing belief in Buddha.
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »

Frankly, I find the positions set forth by Deacon Lance to be most reasonable. I do not think that he is any more legalistic than anybody else who has posted on this thread. If he were a Deacon in the Orthodox Church, I doubt that he would have incurred the same degree of disagreement.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »

maybe he gave her a penance to abstain from eucharist for a period of time...we may not have all there is to the story here...
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »

Wouldn't the issue come down to whether homosexuality is subject to latae sententiae or ferendae sententiae excommunication? I don't know enough about Latin canon law to know which category it falls under, but if it falls under latae sententiae excommunication then the priest is justified, otherwise, until such time as an ecclesiastical court is convened and she is convicted, he would not be justified in refusing communion. For better or worse, Latin canon law is much more cut and dry than Orthodox canon law.

But, in either case, I think his refusal to bury this woman's mother because of objections over her (not her mother's) lifestyle would earn stern reproach in both the Orthodox and Catholic churches...an Orthodox bishop would have likely responded in the same manner.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »

But, in either case, I think his refusal to bury this woman's mother because of objections over her (not her mother's) lifestyle would earn stern reproach in both the Orthodox and Catholic churches...an Orthodox bishop would have likely responded in the same manner.

I thought he cancelled attending the burial due to a migraine.  I get migraines - it is entirely possible to get one suddenly and be complete incapacitated.  The stress of the event could easily trigger one. 
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

I get migraines - it is entirely possible to get one suddenly and be complete incapacitated. 

Have you considered this?

http://thepaleodiet.com/

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »

Frankly, I find the positions set forth by Deacon Lance to be most reasonable. I do not think that he is any more legalistic than anybody else who has posted on this thread. If he were a Deacon in the Orthodox Church, I doubt that he would have incurred the same degree of disagreement.

Exactly.  If Deacon Lance affirmed the divinity of Christ, certain posters here would disagree with him out of principle.  Furthermore it would be clear proof of UGCC plot to sheep steal from the Orthodox.  
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

I get migraines - it is entirely possible to get one suddenly and be complete incapacitated. 

Have you considered this?

http://thepaleodiet.com/

Cheesy
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

It does no such thing.  A declartion of nullity is the judgement that states because of a defect in form or intent a valid sacramental marriage did not take place.  It is not saying a legal or natural marriage did not take place.  A declaration of nullity does not make children illegitimate.  

Can. 1137 Children who are conceived or born of a valid or of a putative marriage are legitimate.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P43.HTM

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »

LOL!

O what ghastly puns perceived!!...or is that conceived...no no...not that way...

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »

I thought the same thing about his being reasonable and all. I didn't realize he was Catholic at the time though.

I amend my previous thoughts.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 06:13:19 PM »

I'll have to disagree with you here.

Maybe it was uncommon among peasants and serfs in Europe. Nobility on the other hand...

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »

I'll have to disagree with you here.

Maybe it was uncommon among peasants and serfs in Europe. Nobility on the other hand...

Peasants aren't noble? I thought you were Orthodox!

ROCOR Rousseau: The Noble Peasant.

How to convince middle class white people to style themselves in selected accouterment of the pre-Communist and Capitalist Eastern European poor.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »

A thank you to my Orthodox brethren.  I strive to be reasoned, fair-minded, and respectful in my posts.  It is nice that some people notice.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »

A thank you to my Orthodox brethren.  I strive to be reasoned, fair-minded, and respectful in my posts.  It is nice that some people notice.

If you want to be noticed for something, that is the WRONG to go about it.

See the following for reading about how to get attention:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4153;sa=showPosts

Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »

Actually if he were an Orthodox Deacon he might get more disagreement for he would be expected to know that the Orthodox Priest is ordered by his Bishop at his ordination to Guard the Eucharist and not rely on the faithful to guard it for him.

From the Ordination Service of a Priest:

After the consecration of the Eucharist, the bishop places the body of Christ into the new priest's hands with the following admonition:

Bishop: Receive this Divine Trust, and guard it until the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, at which time He will demand It from you.

I commend the priest for his Orthodox approach to guarding Body of Christ. His suspension over the matter just proves again that Orthodoxy and Roman Catholic are far from being the same Church...so much for the too lungs theory.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Let's just be real... there are very large factions in the Roman Catholic Church that do not uphold Catholic Moral Positions on these matter and simply lack the will to resist the liberal social movements sweeping through the West.

I'm ex-Catholic and I know this first hand.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »

Actually if he were an Orthodox Deacon he might get more disagreement for he would be expected to know that the Orthodox Priest is ordered by his Bishop at his ordination to Guard the Eucharist and not rely on the faithful to guard it for him.

After the consecration of the Eucharist, the bishop places the body of Christ into the new priest's hands with the following admonition:

Bishop: Receive this Divine Trust, and guard it until the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, at which time He will demand It from you.

I commend the priest for his Orthodox approach to guarding Body of Christ. His suspension over the matter just proves again that Orthodoxy and Roman Catholic are far from being the same Church...so much for the too lungs theory.

My Church uses the same rite.  I wonder however if the author intened that admonition to be more for the priest to guard against his own unworthiness.  The Holy Gifts are medicine for the sinner not rewards for the perfect.

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »

My Church uses the same rite.  I wonder however if the author intened that admonition to be more for the priest to guard against his own unworthiness.  The Holy Gifts are medicine for the sinner not rewards for the perfect.

I dare say that St. Paul would have trouble with your rationalization here.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Let's just be real... there are very large factions in the Roman Catholic Church that do not uphold Catholic Moral Positions on these matter and simply lack the will to resist the liberal social movements sweeping through the West.

I would go one further and say some actively aid them but I don't think that is the case here.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »

This is just another reason to have people go to Holy Confession before going to Holy Communion.  It would have given the priest a chance to "council her in private".

This way the priest also knows who is who, and who is approaching the Holy Gifts.  

So, I believe the priest has every right to withhold Communion.  It's his responsibility to safeguard the Gifts.

He could have gave her a blessing instead of not obeying his bishop OR she could have gone to the lay person handing out the bread.  Sounds like both parties may have had ulterior motives.  They should call it a draw and move on.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

You go!  I don't know if people realise that some RCC are huge, like 10,000 plus people huge.  Even the smaller town RCC here have membership that compares to some Orthodox jurisdictions.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »

LBK

Wrong or right in Orthodox minds what the RCC does on this is really their business.  He should have buried her mother and not let the family sit there when they needed the priest to be there to help them grieve and bury their beloved departed.

Remember this parish is near Washington DC.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:56:07 PM by username! » Logged

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »

I dare say that St. Paul would have trouble with your rationalization here.

Read the Liturgy.  For example these from the Liturgy of St. Basil the Great:

Lord, our God, You created us and brought us into this life. You have shown us the way to salvation and have bestowed upon us the revelation of heavenly mysteries. You have appointed us to this service by the power of Your Holy Spirit. Grant, therefore, O Lord that we may be accepted as servants of Your new Covenant and ministers of Your holy mysteries. Accept us as we draw near to Your holy altar, according to the multitude of Your mercy, that we may be worthy to offer You this spiritual sacrifice without the shedding of blood, for our sins and for the transgressions of Your people. Grant that, having accepted this sacrifice upon Your holy, heavenly, and spiritual altar as an offering of spiritual fragrance, You may in return send down upon us the grace of Your Holy Spirit. Look upon us, O God, and consider our worship; and accept it as You accepted the gifts of Abel, the sacrifices of Noah, the burnt offerings of Abraham, the priestly offices of Moses and Aaron, and the peace offerings of Samuel. As You accepted this true worship from Your holy apostles, accept also in Your goodness, O Lord, these gifts from the hands of us sinners, that being deemed worthy to serve at Your holy altar without blame., we may obtain the reward of the faithful stewards on the fearful day of Your just judgment.

Therefore, most holy Master, we also, Your sinful and unworthy servants, whom You have made worthy to serve at Your holy altar, not because of our own righteousness (for we have not done anything good upon the earth), but because of Your mercy and compassion, which You have so richly poured upon us, we dare to approach Your holy altar, and bring forth the symbols of the holy Body and Blood of Your Christ. We pray to You and call upon You, O Holy of Holies, that by the favor of Your goodness, Your Holy Spirit may come upon us and upon the gifts here presented, to bless, sanctify, and make this bread to be the precious Body of our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ.

http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/basil

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »

It does no such thing.  A declartion of nullity is the judgement that states because of a defect in form or intent a valid sacramental marriage did not take place.  It is not saying a legal or natural marriage did not take place.  A declaration of nullity does not make children illegitimate.  

Can. 1137 Children who are conceived or born of a valid or of a putative marriage are legitimate.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P43.HTM
Oh. So children of a putative marriage are legitimate, even if the assumption that there was ever a marriage was a false one? There have been cases where a couple have never been married, but it is assumed by their friends and aquaintances that they were married. So even though they have never been legally married, according to you, their children are legitimate, because it is a putative marriage?
This seems contrary to the common definition of illegitimacy.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2012, 03:37:03 AM »

Grace and Peace,

But are those who do not uphold Catholic moral positions correct, or was the priest correct in denying the Sacrament to a lesbian activist who publically announces that she is a Buddhist?
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:35 AM »

Of course the priest is correct. If he is suspended for some other matter, that's one thing, but he is absolutely right to deny this woman the Eucharist. What the worst do or don't do (no matter how many they are) is not to be used as a cudgel against those who are serious and committed to their faith and its teachings.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:47:05 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2012, 04:04:15 AM »

Why does legitimacy matter?  Are we back in the middle ages?
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »

So it is no longer a sin to have sex outside of marriage?  If a marriage is annulled and they were never married, then the children were conceived by having sex outside of marriage correct?
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »

So it is no longer a sin to have sex outside of marriage?  If a marriage is annulled and they were never married, then the children were conceived by having sex outside of marriage correct?

So what?  Again, I ask is this the middle ages?   
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »

He should have buried her mother and not let the family sit there when they needed the priest to be there to help them grieve and bury their beloved departed.
Yeah, the priest should not have excused himself, however he was right in denying the eucharist.

Let's just be real... there are very large factions in the Roman Catholic Church that do not uphold Catholic Moral Positions on these matter and simply lack the will to resist the liberal social movements sweeping through the West
Look how the Episcopal Church has fared thanks to this agenda. It really is a cancer.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »

What is wrong with the Middle Ages? Aren't moral values supposed to pass on unchanged from one generation to the next? Take for example the sin of idolatry or worship of strange gods. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »

So what?  Again, I ask is this the middle ages?   

Because ours is so much better?
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »

What is wrong with the Middle Ages? Aren't moral values supposed to pass on unchanged from one generation to the next? Take for example the sin of idolatry or worship of strange gods. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

I don't see Nektarios talking about 'morality' per se. He's asking about the question of legitimacy as applied to the children--who aren't guilty of anything whether the parents were married or not. He's asking why we should care whether or not children are legitimate (as opposed to the Middle Ages where there were definite legal as well as social issues around being a 'bastard'). I'm not sure if I agree with him, but the question itself is totally separate from the morality of the parents.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »

No and no.  A marriage is not annulled.  A declaration of nullity states that a sacramental marriage never took place due to a defect in form or consent.  The Church recognizes that a civil marraige took place. 

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »

No and no.  A marriage is not annulled.  A declaration of nullity states that a sacramental marriage never took place due to a defect in form or consent.  The Church recognizes that a civil marraige took place. 

How does the Orthodox Church view a civil marriage?

If you were never married within any Christian church and completely without religious conviction and the marriage had no more pomp during the contract than signing a mortgage. And the contract was then dissolved, were you considered "married" within the Orthodox Church?

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »

I don't see Nektarios talking about 'morality' per se. He's asking about the question of legitimacy as applied to the children--who aren't guilty of anything whether the parents were married or not. He's asking why we should care whether or not children are legitimate (as opposed to the Middle Ages where there were definite legal as well as social issues around being a 'bastard'). I'm not sure if I agree with him, but the question itself is totally separate from the morality of the parents.

Exactly.  Illegitimacy is a legal concept that was primarily used in the middle ages.  It was important because it had the potential to exclude inheritance rights.  So getting back to my question, why on earth does it matter if a person is "legitimate" or "illegitimate"? 
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »

Oh. So children of a putative marriage are legitimate, even if the assumption that there was ever a marriage was a false one? There have been cases where a couple have never been married, but it is assumed by their friends and aquaintances that they were married. So even though they have never been legally married, according to you, their children are legitimate, because it is a putative marriage?
This seems contrary to the common definition of illegitimacy.

You are mixing issues.  The concept of putative marriage is different from common law marriage or simply lying and saying one is married when one isn't.  A putative marriage is one that is reputed to be valid and is believed to be so by at least one of the spouses because they entered it in good faith. So the answer to your first question is yes.  The answer to your second question is no, because in that example there never was a marriage sacramental or civil.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »

Exactly.  Illegitimacy is a legal concept that was primarily used in the middle ages.  It was important because it had the potential to exclude inheritance rights.  So getting back to my question, why on earth does it matter if a person is "legitimate" or "illegitimate"? 

Yes, the transition from ancient inheritance laws to modern contract law has rendered the issue of legitimacy irrelevant. But with that, it has also rendered the institution of marriage obsolete...they're both equally absurd in a modern context. So if we're going to argue about something as outdated as marriage, why not throw in discussions about ancient inheritance laws, the legitimacy of children, spiritual degrees of separation, etc.? You know, things that were relevant back when marriage was actually relevant.

In some sense, I see where you are coming from.  But marriage is a contract between two willing parties and has evolved into a modernity. 
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »

So it is no longer a sin to have sex outside of marriage?  If a marriage is annulled and they were never married, then the children were conceived by having sex outside of marriage correct?
 A declaration of nullity states that a sacramental marriage never took place due to a defect in form or consent.
And the couple are allowed a second marriage? What percentage of these marriage annulments are declared invalid and erroneous when appealed to Rome. Isn't it way over 90%?
Isn't this whole marriage annulment process a subterfuge according to which the RCC allows divorce and remarriage? Simply consider the statistics of about 10 marriage annulments allowed in the USA in 1930, but more than 60,000 marriage annulments (annually) in the USA in recent years.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:26:38 PM by stanley123 » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »

So getting back to my question, why on earth does it matter if a person is "legitimate" or "illegitimate"?  
Why does it matter if a couple (straight or gay) is married legally, putatively, or just not married at all?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:23:22 PM by stanley123 » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »

GiC, I think that analysis is uncharacteristically faulty.

If marriage is a contract, (1) why are the "terms" of the contract prescribed; and (2) why can the contract not be amended or undone by a subsequent contract? Closely related to (2), why, in so many common law jurisdictions, are pre-nuptial agreements of no force?

If only marriage really were contractual! Perhaps then our courts would properly enforce the terms of such a noble agreement.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »

So it is no longer a sin to have sex outside of marriage?  If a marriage is annulled and they were never married, then the children were conceived by having sex outside of marriage correct?
 A declaration of nullity states that a sacramental marriage never took place due to a defect in form or consent.
And the couple are allowed a second marriage? What percentage of these marriage annulments are declared invalid and erroneous when appealed to Rome. Isn't it way over 90%?
Isn't this whole marriage annulment process a subterfuge according to which the RCC allows divorce and remarriage? Simply consider the statistics of about 10 marriage annulments allowed in the USA in 1930, but more than 60,000 marriage annulments (annually) in the USA in recent years.

They are allowed their first sacramental marriage.  The Rota overturns 90% of cases from the US that make it there, how many make it there I don't know.  A subterfuge?  In some cases I suppose, in others I don't think so.  Given the poor catechesis I see going on I am not shocked that there is a lot of defective consent cases.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »

The Parish in question is just up the road from my home. They claim he was not getting along with the staff and suspended him for that..........a week  or so after the incident.  Suspicious.

They couldnt suspend him for the refusal or what he said because he was simply following Catholic doctrine.

Apparently he spent most of the career in Russia. Maybe he grew a backbone there.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »

...His suspension apparently had nothing to do with the Communion fiasco.
...  Suspicious.
Very much so.
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:29 AM »

The priest involved has released a statement.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/priest-removal-from-ministry-was-tied-to-communion-incident/

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2012, 01:28:05 AM »

And she did receive Communion anyway.  This whole thing stinks of a setup.

Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »

I totally agree.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:10 AM »

Indeed.  And that is, I believe, a problem for both the Orthodox and the Catholics.  It is this spirit that religion is to serve the individual and bend to every twist and turn of political and social ideals, this spirit that infects all of modern society, that is of Satan and seeks to destroy all religion.  It is a curse, a cancer, invading all religious groups that still actually profess belief in anything besides tolerance.  It is this evil that we, all of us, of necessity must fight against in all its forms.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Spartan563

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2012, 02:08:34 AM »

Good!!   Jesus accepted everyone unconditionally.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2012, 02:17:40 AM »

No.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2012, 02:25:14 AM »

And yet He said: Go and sin no more.  He defended all from condemnation, true.  However, He never said sin is OK.  He also, notably, had the Last Supper in a place with only His disciples.  He taught in the fields and on the hills and at the Temple and in the cities; He gave His all-pure Body and His most precious Blood only to those who believed in Him (I would note, here, that some teach that Judas only betrayed the Lord believing that He would never actually be killed, but would instead usher in the Kingdom of God, on earth).  In the early Church, those who were not members of the Body of Christ - of the Church that Christ founded - could not even SEE the Eucharist, let alone take part of it.  

There is a reason that the Eucharist is known as Holy Communion: it is by the Body and Blood of Christ that we become one communion, one body, one with the Church, and God, and our fellow Christians.  For someone to partake of Holy Communion when they are out of communion with her - when they have separated themselves from her - is not only to be a hypocrite, to profess publicly to be that which you are anything but, it is also to bring upon yourself the condemnation of the God Who will one day soon judge the whole of the human race, who professed a narrow gate and a wide gate, the wide leading unto death and damnation, the narrow to life everlasting, it is to become as a virus that infests a human body, and is rejected by that body, destroyed by that body, such is the fate of those who partake of Holy Communion when they are not in communion.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2012, 02:49:48 AM »

No way, no how. Jesus is the CHRIST, not some PC hippie proto-Marxist. We need to give up a lot in order to follow Him. It's tough going, but absolutely necessary.

“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple" ≠ accepting everyone unconditionally.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2012, 02:53:22 AM »

So getting back to my question, why on earth does it matter if a person is "legitimate" or "illegitimate"?  
Why does it matter if a couple (straight or gay) is married legally, putatively, or just not married at all?

Ultimately it is for themselves that a couple decides to marry.  It is a sort of official seal that carries real meaning.  There are many legal consequences due to marriage.  Legally (at least in the West), I don't think illegitimacy has any role.  For instance, if I had an illegitimate child, I would still have to pay child support.  

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2012, 05:43:15 AM »

They are allowed their first sacramental marriage.  The Rota overturns 90% of cases from the US that make it there, how many make it there I don't know.  A subterfuge?  In some cases I suppose, in others I don't think so.  Given the poor catechesis I see going on I am not shocked that there is a lot of defective consent cases.
The post Vatican II policy of handing out easy to get marriage annulments can only have long term negative effects in children. Children are told that their parents were never married Sacramentally, and so they have to come to terms with that ugly fact.   Since the Church tribunal requires the parents to divorce,  we should note all of the pain and mental anxiety that children experience as a result of the civil divorce required by the Church before it will grant the annulment. General anxiety, stress,  inability to sleep, seeing the world as a dangerous place,  and lower academic achievement have all been seen in children of divorced parents.  I don;t think any other Church has experienced the horrific explosion in divorce rates as has the Catholic Church in the period from 1930 to the present date. Going from 10 annulments per year to more than 60,000 annulments per year is an increase of more than 600,000 percent. And keep in mind that to get the annulment, you have to get the civil divorce before the Church will consider your application. The civil divorce is a requirement.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2012, 05:45:53 AM »

Ultimately it is for themselves that a couple decides to marry.  It is a sort of official seal that carries real meaning.  There are many legal consequences due to marriage.  Legally (at least in the West), I don't think illegitimacy has any role.  For instance, if I had an illegitimate child, I would still have to pay child support.  

There is a point here that it is not the fault of the child as to how he was brought into the world. That is true. However, when a Church tells him that his parents were never Sacramentally married, then that can have a long term negative impact on the psychology and mental health of the child.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2012, 06:07:50 AM »

There is a point here that it is not the fault of the child as to how he was brought into the world. That is true. However, when a Church tells him that his parents were never Sacramentally married, then that can have a long term negative impact on the psychology and mental health of the child.

I don't disagree that the standard practice of at least the American Catholic Church of handing out annulments for nearly every divorce is a giant abuse and ultimately negative.  But I still don't see how "illegitimacy" has any bearing in modern society. 
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »

Hmmm. I dont want to sound paranoid, but we are about to vote on a Gay Marriage referendum here in Maryland in November.
Today's paper showed the woman in question with Gov. O'mallie smiling and shaking hands.

suspicious

BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »

I've been taught that the Priest is also "The Defender of the Eucharist" and it falls upon him to decide who shall receive and who shall not.

Concerning the priest who specifically taught me that, I'd only seen him refuse someone Communion twice and both times he spoke them to very quietly and what was clearly an apologetic manner.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »

No.

Yes.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

Good!!   Jesus accepted everyone unconditionally.

No way, no how. Jesus is the CHRIST, not some PC hippie proto-Marxist. We need to give up a lot in order to follow Him. It's tough going, but absolutely necessary.

“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple" ≠ accepting everyone unconditionally.

Sure it does.

Am I am on an Orthodox website?

EDIT: Forget it. Yes, I am. We have people worried about a trivial amount of "holy oil" finding its way to the trash thus the earth and others teaching that Jesus' "acceptance" is conditional.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:59:35 PM by orthonorm » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »

Sure it does.

EDIT: Forget it. Yes, I am. We have people worried about a trivial amount of "holy oil" finding its way to the trash thus the earth and others teaching that Jesus' "acceptance" is conditional.

The point is not to trivialize the Faith.  First, let's not take holy water or holy oil "too" seriously.  It's just Holy Oil....go ahead and throw it in the trash, God will still love you.  Next, folks will be throwing icons in the trash because they don't match their decor.

There is the concept of economia, but, that is dependant on the situation.   It's not a blanket law that allows for all manner of disrespect.

Yes, Christ loves everyone equally, and yes, He wishes for the salvation of every soul.....however, if I recall correctly, not everyone will be saved. 

In other words, they will not be accepted.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »

It does no such thing.  A declaration of nullity is the judgement that states because of a defect in form or intent a valid sacramental marriage did not take place.  It is not saying a legal or natural marriage did not take place.  A declaration of nullity does not make children illegitimate.  

In the Latin rite, the husband and wife are the ministers of the sacrament. But in the Byzantine rite, the priest administers the sacrament. If a couple is married in a Byzantine Catholic wedding, how is there a defect in intent to perform the sacrament? I am pretty sure the priest really meant to marry those people.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »

Sure it does.

The point is not to trivialize the Faith.  First, let's not take holy water or holy oil "too" seriously.  It's just Holy Oil....go ahead and throw it in the trash, God will still love you.  Next, folks will be throwing icons in the trash because they don't match their decor.

There is the concept of economia, but, that is dependant on the situation.   It's not a blanket law that allows for all manner of disrespect.

Yes, Christ loves everyone equally, and yes, He wishes for the salvation of every soul.....however, if I recall correctly, not everyone will be saved. 

Your other words are wrong.

It is the very acceptance of Christ, it's nature and quality, which those will find to be damning. Not the lack of Christ's acceptance.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »

It is the very acceptance of Christ, it's nature and quality, which those will find to be damning. Not the lack of Christ's acceptance.

You need to keep in mind the context in which these things are invoked. The poster to whom I replied had asserted that the active Lesbian Buddhist receiving the Eucharist was a good thing because "Christ accepted everyone", not that the "nature and quality" of Christ's acceptance of this woman or any other sinner will be found damning. They're not the same point at all. You are right above, but the other poster is still wrong.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »

Sure it does.

Ok....I guess it's all in the wording....and I apologize for wording it wrong.

My point was that there are conditions set to ensure the "happily ever after" ending....it's not guaranteed.

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »

Sure it does.

Ok....I guess it's all in the wording....and I apologize for wording it wrong.

My point was that there are conditions set to ensure the "happily ever after" ending....it's not guaranteed.

What are those "conditions" to ensure salvation? Or did you mean there are "not" conditions. I drop words constantly myself.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »

No, I didn't drop any words in this case.

I am not of the Protestant mindset that "if you accept the Lord as your Savior, you are automatically saved!"

If you truly accept the Lord, than you do as He has instructed....I do believe we were given some instructions....I think it all began with those Commandments.

Therefore, I have a feeling that if one builds himself a golden calf, steals his neighbors wife, kills folks, etc....they have not met the conditions.

Plus, there's always the "love thy neighbor" rule to live by, as well.

"Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They answered, "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved." (Acts 16:30-31) ...kind of sounds to me like a condition, of sorts.

This was what I labeled as "conditions"....you may have a different term/word for this.

Hey, it's all good.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:41:38 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »

No, I didn't drop any words in this case.

I am not of the Protestant mindset that "if you accept the Lord as your Savior, you are automatically saved!"

If you truly accept the Lord, than you do as He has instructed....I do believe we were given some instructions....I think it all began with those Commandments.

Therefore, I have a feeling that if one builds himself a golden calf, steals his neighbors wife, kills folks, etc....they have not met the conditions.

Plus, there's always the "love thy neighbor" rule to live by, as well.

"Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They answered, "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved." (Acts 16:30-31) ...kind of sounds to me like a condition, of sorts.

This was what I labeled as "conditions"....you may have a different term/word for this.

Hey, it's all good.

Wow, starting to sound like the Epistle of James with all this "faith without works is dead" stuff!   Wink
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »

I've been taught that the Priest is also "The Defender of the Eucharist" and it falls upon him to decide who shall receive and who shall not.

Concerning the priest who specifically taught me that, I'd only seen him refuse someone Communion twice and both times he spoke them to very quietly and what was clearly an apologetic manner.

I've seen people refused communion a good 6 or 7 times. Almost always for not having a recent enough confession. No biggie.

At my old Parish I would usually sit behind a nice women whom I believe to be Lesbian. She would come to liturgy regularly, say the prayers and hear the preaching but never went up for communion. I am proud of her. She got it right. She was a valued part of the community but until that part of her life comes into concert with the teachings of the Church she belongs to, she refrains from approaching the chalice.

We all have sh.. to work out. God Bless her and God Bless the Church for holding us all to a greater image of what we can be. No one said it would be easy. If you want easy there are other choices out there.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »

I've seen people refused communion a good 6 or 7 times. Almost always for not having a recent enough confession. No biggie.

At my old Parish I would usually sit behind a nice women whom I believe to be Lesbian. She would come to liturgy regularly, say the prayers and hear the preaching but never went up for communion. I am proud of her. She got it right. She was a valued part of the community but until that part of her life comes into concert with the teachings of the Church she belongs to, she refrains from approaching the chalice.

We all have sh.. to work out. God Bless her and God Bless the Church for holding us all to a greater image of what we can be. No one said it would be easy. If you want easy there are other choices out there.

We all have issues to sort out, but for people who are not gay they can receive communion.  Suppose I look at internet pornography all the time.  As long as I go to confession every Saturday that means I receive communion.  Nobody would think twice about it.  But if a person is gay, it is the end of the world. 
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »

How is it the end of the world? They have to live celibate as any non-married person would have to.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »

Here is the full story of the priest who was removed from ministry in the Washington diocese for refusing communion to woman engaged in a lesbian relationship.  The game was up before he began the mass.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/priest-removal-from-ministry-was-tied-to-communion-incident/

Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »

No.

Our Lord accepted people as he found them. He did not leave them that way.

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »

He didn't accept that rich guy Roll Eyes
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

No.

See...this is not correct, either.  He did not accept how He found them....He worked to make them better than they were when He found them.

If He accepted them the way they already were....then why did He preach and teach....give examples and parables

....so that they would learn HOW they were supposed to live. 

No?

For sure, He did not condemn anyone....but, He did not accept them just the way they were.....He made them better.

—St. Isaac of Syria
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »

No.

See...this is not correct, either.  He did not accept how He found them....He worked to make them better than they were when He found them.

If He accepted them the way they already were....then why did He preach and teach....give examples and parables

....so that they would learn HOW they were supposed to live. 

No?

For sure, He did not condemn anyone....but, He did not accept them just the way they were.....He made them better.

i think there are two different meaning of the word accept going on here

the one Brigidsboy is using means that he takes everyone the way that they are, but strives to make them better, just like the Church accepts all sinner, but is still a hopstial for sinners, and helps to make them into the beings that God intends us to be

in contrast to what you are saying Liza, which accept means just that, that they are perfect and that you needs to be perfect in order for Him to accept them in the way you are meaning it

a small difference, to be sure, but important

(i could just be talking to hear myself talk too, so this might make no sense)

SCREW BON JOVI!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »

You keep talking....and I'll keep listening!  Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »

I meant for my remark to be understood as TheMathematician presented it.
Thank You for helping to clarify my position.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

We all have issues to sort out, but for people who are not gay they can receive communion.  Suppose I look at internet pornography all the time.  As long as I go to confession every Saturday that means I receive communion.  Nobody would think twice about it.  But if a person is gay, it is the end of the world. 

Well of course.  We are to be the salt of the earth; gay people are the pepper.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

Everyone should stop using the word 'accept' with regards to Christ's actions, until they provide their understanding of the word 'accept.'  To do otherwise is to invite a long argument wherein everyone talks past one another.

BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »

Suppose I look at internet pornography all the time.  As long as I go to confession every Saturday that means I receive communion.  Nobody would think twice about it.  But if a person is gay, it is the end of the world. 

Sorry, but about the second or third time that you confessed the same sin to the same priest, he's going to start withholding absolution and communion since you are treating them as some sort of joke.

As to the end of the world for someone who is "gay", that's wrong as well. Having the attraction is not the sin, as we all know.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »

After telling them to "Go and sin no more."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »

Well of course.  We are to be the salt of the earth; gay people are the pepper.

Nice! Although, I would have gone with sugar or spice, inclusive or exclusive or there. The one between sugar and spice.

English is stupid. We need another or. How do you pronounce XOR?

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »

Suppose I look at internet pornography all the time.  As long as I go to confession every Saturday that means I receive communion.  Nobody would think twice about it.  But if a person is gay, it is the end of the world. 

Sorry, but about the second or third time that you confessed the same sin to the same priest, he's going to start withholding absolution and communion since you are treating them as some sort of joke.

Not necessarily.

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?"

It is certainly possible that someone can commit a sin and at the outset think, "No big deal, I'll confess and be in and out in five minutes". However, it is not the case that someone can master their own weaknesses after two or three stumbles. What a blessing it would be if that were the case!

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »

That is way too broad a statement. I can attest from direct experience with multiple priests that that is not how it works--perhaps sometimes, but by no means always.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »

That is way too broad a statement. I can attest from direct experience with multiple priests that that is not how it works--perhaps sometimes, but by no means always.

Right - but imagine the scandal if a gay person communed. 
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »

I would expect a priest to withhold for someone living with their girlfriend. Especially if they admit to doing the horizontal hokie poke.

I'm going to need this.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »

I can't help but hear "common law" and not think of one of my old friends:

"CONSTITUTIONALISM": THE WHITE MAN'S GHOST DANCE - Bob Black

http://www.spunk.org/texts/writers/black/sp001650.html

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »

I can't help but hear "common law" and not think of one of my old friends:

"CONSTITUTIONALISM": THE WHITE MAN'S GHOST DANCE - Bob Black

http://www.spunk.org/texts/writers/black/sp001650.html
Those constitutionalists might be few in number, but five of them currently sit on the court. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »

At my old Parish I would usually sit behind a nice women whom I believe to be Lesbian. She would come to liturgy regularly, say the prayers and hear the preaching but never went up for communion.
Nice that you assumed she was a lesbian. I would have thought she might have been a banker, or a lawyer or business owner.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:11:13 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »

At my old Parish I would usually sit behind a nice women whom I believe to be Lesbian. She would come to liturgy regularly, say the prayers and hear the preaching but never went up for communion.
Nice that you assumed she was a lesbian. I would have thought she might have been a banker, or a lawyer or business owner.

It was not very hard to figure out.. you were not there...

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »

In either event, simply being homosexual is not a sin. The sin would in homosexual activities, just as it would be in heterosexual activities such as fornication.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »

Was she making out with a woman?  Do you normally spend your time during Liturgy contemplating the sexual activities of those around you?  I would make sure to mention that at your next confession.

Taxiarches

« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »

GIC and Sauran--Unless you can see some relevance to the subject of this thread, please cease and desist your mano a mano discussion or pursue it elsewhere. If you choose the latter course, I would be more than happy to split the topic and move it to elsewhere. Continuing your separate discussion before you get back to me will trigger the second option, along with a warning for both of you for going off topic. Thanks, Second Chance
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:54:34 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »

Was she making out with a woman?  Do you normally spend your time during Liturgy contemplating the sexual activities of those around you?  I would make sure to mention that at your next confession.

I sat behind this person regularly for several years. I used to joke with her that I was worshiping the back of her head.

See to your own confession son. I'm doing fine.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:30:51 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Taxiarches

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »

Per GIC's request, the discussion on legal aspects has been split off and move to:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43652.0.html

Thanks, Second Chance

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »

This strikes me as a very dangerous thing to believe.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »

Wow..The chum is in the water...

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »

Roll Eyes

I'm going to need this.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »

And a chump is in the thread. Hey-o!

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »

And a chump is in the thread. Hey-o!

Petulant much?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »

Was she making out with a woman?  Do you normally spend your time during Liturgy contemplating the sexual activities of those around you?  I would make sure to mention that at your next confession.

I sat behind this person regularly for several years. I used to joke with her that I was worshiping the back of her head.

So sitting behind a person informs you of their sexuality?  You should go and sit behind every Republican in Congress, that way we can out half of them.

BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »

Not necessarily.

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?"

It is certainly possible that someone can commit a sin and at the outset think, "No big deal, I'll confess and be in and out in five minutes". However, it is not the case that someone can master their own weaknesses after two or three stumbles. What a blessing it would be if that were the case!

There's a huge shift in forgiving a brother who has wronged you and showing a priest that you are not repenting of the sin you keep embracing.

The subject change was duly noted.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »

Not necessarily.

There's a huge shift in forgiving a brother who has wronged you and showing a priest that you are not repenting of the sin you keep embracing.

The subject change was duly noted.

There is a huge shift in embracing a sin and succumbing to temptation because of one's weakness. How blessed you are to have only sinned three times.

Your failure to appreciate this distinction was "duly noted".

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

To me, saying, "Meh, I'll just confess later" and doing the sin is nowhere close to repentance. Thats taking advantage of a system. I think that God would not forgive you in that attitude.

Also, if the priest denies communion because of someone living in sin, that is his right.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »

Or one could just go to a jurisdiction where confession is sort of unheard of. One of the luxuries of being Orthodox in the US.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

So sitting behind a person informs you of their sexuality?  You should go and sit behind every Republican in Congress, that way we can out half of them.

If you have regular and repeated contact with someone over the course of several years, even just as an acquaintance, you often get to know them.

You don't get out  much do you?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:03:33 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Taxiarches

« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

Folks--We are getting off the subject yet again. I am going to call for a recess until next Monday in order for y'all to decide whether you wish to continue to veer off topic. Thanks, Second Chance

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »

To me, saying, "Meh, I'll just confess later" and doing the sin is nowhere close to repentance. Thats taking advantage of a system. I think that God would not forgive you in that attitude.

Also, if the priest denies communion because of someone living in sin, that is his right.

PP

So if you have ever said "Meh, I'll just confess later" you are forever unable to really be repentant for that action?  God will never, ever, forgive that sin?  Even if, later, you actually do come to repentance?  I also don't know why you seem to suggest that repentance has anything to do with what you are thinking BEFORE a sin; it has everything to do with what you are thinking AFTER one.

Taxiarches

« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »

Thread is unlocked. Please stay on topic. Second Chance

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »

So if you have ever said "Meh, I'll just confess later" you are forever unable to really be repentant for that action?
No, Im not saying that, but what I am saying is that it puts confession in the wrong attitude IMO. Being repentant is turning to Christ. Its out of conviction and penetence, and not because "your fun time" is up.

Saying "I'll just confess it later" is no different than saying, "Asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission".

PP

Gregory the Great

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »

So if you have ever said "Meh, I'll just confess later" you are forever unable to really be repentant for that action?
No, Im not saying that, but what I am saying is that it puts confession in the wrong attitude IMO. Being repentant is turning to Christ. Its out of conviction and penetence, and not because "your fun time" is up.

Saying "I'll just confess it later" is no different than saying, "Asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission".

PP

So, is this a proper way of understanding you: Using confession like an input-output table is to not really confess?

BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »

So if you have ever said "Meh, I'll just confess later" you are forever unable to really be repentant for that action?  God will never, ever, forgive that sin?

I think you then have two sins to confess! Although I think the Church teachings indicate that you'd gone from the "involuntary sin" (during which you weren't really thinking about it) to a very "voluntary sin" where you said to yourself, "I don't care what Christ has taught us through the Church, I wanna do it!"
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

PP

So, is this a proper way of understanding you: Using confession like an input-output table is to not really confess?
No, but using confession in that manner, to give you a license to do whatever you want as long as you confess is not wise.

"I cant steal that, as long as I confess im fine!" is really foolish, and I think, you're taking advantage of Gods forgiveness. Another example: If you knew your wife would forgive you completely, and all you had to do is ask her forgiveness, would you cheat on her to satisfy your lusts?

PP
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:32:00 PM by primuspilus » Logged

Gregory the Great

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »

No, but using confession in that manner, to give you a license to do whatever you want as long as you confess is not wise.

"I cant steal that, as long as I confess im fine!" is really foolish, and I think, you're taking advantage of Gods forgiveness. Another example: If you knew your wife would forgive you completely, and all you had to do is ask her forgiveness, would you cheat on her to satisfy your lusts?

Indeed. The icon of the Mother of God Unexpected Joy has something to say about this very thing.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

PP

PP
i know the RCCs have a term for this, it is called presumption, which is another sin that needs confessing in the rcc at least

SCREW BON JOVI!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »

I believe that if someone commits sin simply because they know they can confess it later and "be ok" is not serious about their sin. Its almost like using confession as a get out of jail free card.

PP

Gregory the Great

alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »

PP

PP

A husband returns from a business trip:

Scenario 1 - “Honey we need to talk. I know I shouldn’t have but I went out and ended up getting drunk with the guys. There was a woman there. She tempted me. I wasn’t thinking. I sinned against you and God. Please forgive me. That is not who I am or who I want to be.”

Scenario 2 – “Honey we need to talk. I knew I shouldn’t but I went out and got drunk with the guys anyway. There was a woman there. She tempted me. I thought about it and knowing you would forgive me I cheated on you. So forgive me. This is just who I am and obviously who I want to be.”

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »

PP

PP

A husband returns from a business trip:

Scenario 1 - “Honey we need to talk. I know I shouldn’t have but I went out and ended up getting drunk with the guys. There was a woman there. She tempted me. I wasn’t thinking. I sinned against you and God. Please forgive me. That is not who I am or who I want to be.”

Scenario 2 – “Honey we need to talk. I knew I shouldn’t but I went out and got drunk with the guys anyway. There was a woman there. She tempted me. I thought about it and knowing you would forgive me I cheated on you. So forgive me. This is just who I am and obviously who I want to be.”

nice example.

PP

Gregory the Great

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: