OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:43:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest who denied communion to lesbian suspended  (Read 6646 times) Average Rating: 0
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »

Priest who denied communion to lesbian suspended

By msnbc.com

A Maryland priest who denied communion to a lesbian at her mother's funeral has been placed on leave, according to the Roman Catholic archdiocese.

A letter from an archdiocese official said that the Rev. Marcel Guarnizo was placed on leave for engaging in intimidating behavior, according to NBCWashington.com. The archdiocese had previously apologized for Guarnizo’s behavior.

For the rest of the article:  http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/12/10652416-priest-who-denied-communion-to-lesbian-suspended

The only part I disagree with that priest is when he excused himself from the burial at the cemetery.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »

The commentary in the video was quite offensively undergraduate.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
kelfar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

Link:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/12/priest-who-allegedly-denied-communion-to-lesbian-placed-on-leave/?hpt=us_c2

Any comments?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

His suspension apparently had nothing to do with the Communion fiasco.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »

The priest should have gone to the funeral at the cemetery.  As for not giving communion to the woman, he was doing his job and if that is the reason they dumped him (despite the talking head saying that it was for "actions throughout the week") then it's a sign of a deeper rot in that archdiocese.

This part I found especially disturbing:

“When questions arise about whether or not an individual should present themselves for communion, it is not the policy of the Archdiocese of Washington to publicly reprimand the person,” the statement said. “Any issues regarding the suitability of an individual to receive communion should be addressed by the priest with that person in a private, pastoral setting.”

If someone is going to go up for communion, knowing that they cannot take it, when is the priest supposed to tell them no to take communion?  I sounded from what the priest said that he did everything correctly.  It is his duty to tell someone who is not prepared that they cannot commune.  To commune them is such a situation could risk damnation for both parties.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

There is a difference between Catholic and Orthodox approach to this.  A Catholic priest cannot deny someone Communion unless the person is obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and that person has been admonished by the priest privately first.  So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion, from the Catholic perspective, unless the priest knew this as a fact from her own lips beforehand, not secondhand, he had no right to deny her.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »

There is a difference between Catholic and Orthodox approach to this.  A Catholic priest cannot deny someone Communion unless the person is obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and that person has been admonished by the priest privately first.  So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion, from the Catholic perspective, unless the priest knew this as a fact from her own lips beforehand, not secondhand, he had no right to deny her.

Cardinal George Pell would disagree. More than once, he has refused to give communion to declared and unrepentant homosexuals, whether he has "admonished them privately" or not. And he's not the only one. All power to him and those like him, I say.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »

We don't know the details....but, lets just say that he "knew" that the deceased woman's daughter was a lesbian....and here she is before him, with her partner....and approaches for communion.  Is he just supposed to give it to her?

This is just another reason to have people go to Holy Confession before going to Holy Communion.  It would have given the priest a chance to "council her in private".

This way the priest also knows who is who, and who is approaching the Holy Gifts.  

My parish tradition is we Confess prior to going to Holy Communion.  This way when our priest notices an "unknown" face approaching, he quietly speaks to them, lifts the chalice for them to kiss, and has them move on.  Nobody except the person immediately behind them realizes the person didn't receive the Holy Gifts.

I went to an RC funeral last year (coworkers family member)....and for their Communion most of my coworkers went up too.  I know some are Catholic...but, then there was this one Baptist man...who happily went up and with a smirk on his face coming back up the aisle munching on the wafer...with a huge grin.  "Good cookie".

I know that priest didn't know who these people were.  But, he did in fact, give the Holy Gifts to a "non-believer".  This man thought it was all a joke.  While not RC, it still hurt me to see it happen.

So, I believe the priest has every right to withhold Communion.  It's his responsibility to safeguard the Gifts.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

Cardinal George Pell would disagree. More than once, he has refused to give communion to declared and unrepentant homosexuals, whether he has "admonished them privately" or not. And he's not the only one. All power to him and those like him, I say.

But a bishop can make that call a priest cannot, he must follow protocol.

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »

We don't know the details....but, lets just say that he "knew" that the deceased woman's daughter was a lesbian....and here she is before him, with her partner....and approaches for communion.  Is he just supposed to give it to her?
If he has not spoken to her privately beforehand, Yes.

My parish tradition is we Confess prior to going to Holy Communion.  This way when our priest notices an "unknown" face approaching, he quietly speaks to them, lifts the chalice for them to kiss, and has them move on.  Nobody except the person immediately behind them realizes the person didn't receive the Holy Gifts.
But this is a difference between Catholic and Orthodox practice.  The Catholic Church presumes worthiness unless proven otherwise, the communicant being the one held responsible, the Orthodox Church presumes unworthiness unless proven otherwise the priest being the one held responsible.

I went to an RC funeral last year (coworkers family member)....and for their Communion most of my coworkers went up too.  I know some are Catholic...but, then there was this one Baptist man...who happily went up and with a smirk on his face coming back up the aisle munching on the wafer...with a huge grin.  "Good cookie".

I know that priest didn't know who these people were.  But, he did in fact, give the Holy Gifts to a "non-believer".  This man thought it was all a joke.  While not RC, it still hurt me to see it happen.
In these cases the priest is supposed to make an announcement that only properly prepared Catholics are to receive.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:23:57 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »

If he has not spoken to her privately beforehand, Yes.

So, the priest can never decline to give the Holy Gifts to someone who approaches, unless he's spoken to them first (in private)?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »

In my time in the RCC, the only time a priest ever told anyone to not come up for communion was a general announcement made at the Easter and Christmas masses (which were always packed full of people who never came at any other times of the year) that those who had not been to confession for some time should not present themselves for communion. It didn't stop anyone from receiving anyway, from what I can remember.

The Latin approach to communion makes very little sense to me.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »

In my time in the RCC, the only time a priest ever told anyone to not come up for communion was a general announcement made at the Easter and Christmas masses (which were always packed full of people who never came at any other times of the year) that those who had not been to confession for some time should not present themselves for communion. It didn't stop anyone from receiving anyway, from what I can remember.

The Latin approach to communion makes very little sense to me.
yeah it's unacceptable, outrageous, blasphemous and it also attracts and stirs God's wrath (not the  heretical, Latin sort of wrath, beware)  if thorough investigations are not conducted into suspicious communicants'  FB pages, discussion forums, internet use in general and such. What a scandal!
I'm saying all this bc that sort of investigation happened to a friend of mine in an English speaking Orthodox parish. Alas he was found lacking in godly complementarian manliness  and Chicago was spared the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah. It also open a couple of other people's eyes and shattered any illusion they had about that place.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:25:36 PM by augustin717 » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

LOL!

I'm certain the person doesn't need to be investigated, however, I think a heartfelt confession wouldn't hurt.

Afterall, aren't' we taught that the Sacraments are a privilege and not a right?

—St. Isaac of Syria
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

LOL!

I'm certain the person doesn't need to be investigated, however, I think a heartfelt confession wouldn't hurt.

Afterall, aren't' we taught that the Sacraments are a privilege and not a right?

You are right in theory. In practice though, and for reasons that have little to do with Christianity people perceived to be gay will suffer closer scrutiny in than most other categories of sinners, in most, I would say, Orthodox settings.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »

LOL!

You are right in theory. In practice though, and for reasons that have little to do with Christianity people perceived to be gay will suffer closer scrutiny in than most other categories of sinners, in most, I would say, Orthodox settings.

But isn't that what gays do? Scrutiny? It's like the opposite of mutiny, when like all the sailors get along. And we know sailor is just seamen for gay.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »

LOL!

But isn't that what gays do? Scrutiny? It's like the opposite of mutiny, when like all the sailors get along. And we know sailor is just seamen for gay.

This is seriously the gayest sentence I've ever seen on OC.net. I'm pretty sure I have a bottle of beer stashed away for just such an occasion.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:31:27 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »

According to a person called John Shore, Ms Johnson had told the priest of her status as a lesbian woman in a relationship (she introduced her partner to him) before the service. Here is his report:

"Fr. Marcel was made aware that Barbara is gay when she and her partner of nineteen years met with him that morning well before the service began. It was his ecclesiastic responsibility to at that meeting offer to take Barbara’s confession and then grant her absolution; this would have allowed him to then in good conscience later offer her communion. And Barbara would have certainly been pleased to do a confession with Fr. Guarnizo.

“Obviously, I don’t think being gay is a sin,” she told me. “But this wasn’t about me. This was about about my wonderful mother having the beautiful funeral that she deserved. So yes, I would have let Father Marcel grant me absolution.”

But Fr. Marcel failed to offer Barbara that rite.
I spoke with Barbara on the phone the day before this story hit. She is an intelligent, kind, sensitive woman. She was extremely close to her mother, who fully accepted and loved Barbara’s partner as if she were another daughter."

http://johnshore.com/2012/02/29/father-no-communion-for-you-not-the-whole-story/

What intrigued me in this story is the expectation that absolution would be given for..what? Is he expected to give absolution to every sinner, no matter how unrepentant he is?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

Another funny thing here is to see all these people-well, some of them, maybe- that on other threads pontificate on how RC sacraments are graceless, getting all worried now about what a blasphemy could have taken place if that woman had communed.
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »

LOL!

In practice, I know of parishes where communion is withheld for all kinds of other canonical reasons. Indeed, it is easier to discern the reasons for most everything other than homosexual conduct. By the way, what does a "apathetic, ecumenist, indifferent, traditionalist, communist, philetist, accidental Orthodox (you forgot "nominal")" person such as yourself know about this things anyway?  Wink
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:38:52 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »

Of course the thing that made it into the news is that she is a lesbian and not that she herself has posted all over the internet that she (thinks she is anyway) Buddhist. Roll Eyes
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »

LOL!

In practice, I know of parishes where communion is withheld for all kinds of other canonical reasons. Indeed, it is easier to discern the reasons for most everything other than homosexual conduct. By the way, what does a "apathetic, ecumenist, indifferent, traditionalist, communist, philetist, accidental Orthodox (you forgot "nominal")" person such as yourself know about this things anyway?  Wink
It still provides me amusement. You know, a poor man's way of killing time. The bourgeois go on spiritual retreats.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »

Of course the thing that made it into the news is that she is a lesbian and not that she herself has posted all over the internet that she (thinks she is anyway) Buddhist. Roll Eyes

Surprise!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »

LOL!

It still provides me amusement. You know, a poor man's way of killing time. The bourgeois go on spiritual retreats.

Dear Cousin Augustin,

My mothers' ancestors emigrated from Bucharest to Veliko Trnovo so I hope you excuse my boldness in calling you cousin. And, for saying the following: I pray that underneath that flippant attitude there is some substance. I pray that you have the ember in you that will once again flare up into flame if you let the Holy Spirit in. After all, what is amusement if put against great joy and peace?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »

So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion

This singular "they" thing has gone way too far, when we can't even refer to a hypothetical lesbian as "she."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »

So while a declared practicing lesbian should know better than to present themselves for Communion

This singular "they" thing has gone way too far, when we can't even refer to a hypothetical lesbian as "she."

Calm yourself, it was a grammatical error not an agenda.

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »

In that case he was perfectly within his right to refuse her Communion.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »

Calm yourself, it was a grammatical error not an agenda.

picture not functioning. -S1389
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:08:42 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I'm going to need this.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »

Wonderful. So she's refused because she's an apostate, not unrepentant. Scholasticism at its finest. Gimme a break, Dcn Lance!  Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:55:29 PM by LBK » Logged
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »

Wonderful. So she's refused because she's an apostate, not unrepentant. Scholasticism at its finest. Gimme a break, Dcn Lance!  Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

No Scholasticism involved at all.  If a person is proclaiming themselves an apsotate that is one thing.  One needs a private conversation to determine if a person is in a state of sin and unrepentant.  The Communion line is not the place for the first inquiry or admonishment.

I would also disagree with the article, that she should have been offered Confession and absolution before Mass so she could commune.  In order for absolution to be given the priest would have to have had some evidence that she meant to cease the sin, which I doubt she would have given.   For example, divorced and remarried people are expected to seperate from the new spouse in order to be readmitted.  This lady would have been simply going through the motions in order to get her way, as evidenced by her further comments.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:52 PM »

But there is no evidence he knew about her Buddhist "proclivities" beforehand.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »

In order for absolution to be given the priest would have to have had some evidence that she meant to cease the sin, which I doubt she would have given.   

QED. Hoist by your own petard, Dcn Lance.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »

...  As for not giving communion to the woman, he was doing his job and if that is the reason they dumped him ...then it's a sign of a deeper rot in that archdiocese.
...If someone is going to go up for communion, knowing that they cannot take it, when is the priest supposed to tell them no to take communion?  I sounded from what the priest said that he did everything correctly.  It is his duty to tell someone who is not prepared that they cannot commune.  To commune them is such a situation could risk damnation for both parties.
I agree.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »

No Scholasticism involved at all.  If a person is proclaiming themselves an apsotate that is one thing.  One needs a private conversation to determine if a person is in a state of sin and unrepentant.  The Communion line is not the place for the first inquiry or admonishment.

I disagree with the deacon. If the news reports that I read are correct, she proclaims herself to be a Buddhist, and she made the priest aware that she was  living with her lesbian partner.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »

Another funny thing here is to see all these people-well, some of them, maybe- that on other threads pontificate on how RC sacraments are graceless, getting all worried now about what a blasphemy could have taken place if that woman had communed.

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »

LBK

You are failing to distinguish between a priest to refusing Communion to one whom he has postively identified as obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and refusing it based on a hunch or worse rumor.

Refusing Communion in the Catholic Church is a big deal because by doing so the priest is proclaiming the person in a state of mortal sin and/or excommunication.  In the Orthodox Church one can be refused simply because the priest doesn't know you.

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »

I disagree with the deacon. If the news reports that I read are correct, she proclaims herself to be a Buddhist, and she made the priest aware that she was  living with her lesbian partner.

And if true he should have informed then and there not to approach for Communion, not wait until Communion time.   

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »

LBK

You are failing to distinguish between a priest to refusing Communion to one whom he has postively identified as obstinately persisting in manifest grave sin and refusing it based on a hunch or worse rumor.

Refusing Communion in the Catholic Church is a big deal because by doing so the priest is proclaiming the person in a state of mortal sin and/or excommunication.  In the Orthodox Church one can be refused simply because the priest doesn't know you.

Unless everyone knows you, and then $*i7 be gettins real.

I'm going to need this.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »

LBK

Rubbish. The guardian of the chalice, be he bishop, or priest obedient to his bishop, be he Orthodox or RC/EC, has the responsibility to ensure whoever approaches the chalice has prepared himself or herself properly. This includes confession and absolution, which can only be given by a priest or bishop where someone has expressed contrition and repentance for their sins, irrespective of the nature of their sins.

As you should know, we Orthodox don't distinguish between "venial" and "mortal" sins. Repentance is repentance. There is no evidence that this homosexual woman has repented from her sin, be it her engaging in homosexual acts, or her apostasy. It is repentance which allows us, Orthodox and Roman/Eastern Catholic alike, to approach the chalice.

Or am I mistaken about the RC/EC?
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.
According to the canon 69 of John the Faster a lesbian cannot even partake in graceless, heretical sacraments. Zonaras and Balsamon explain it would be second degree blasphemy. The neo-patristic theologians in order  to avoid any hint of scholasticism prefer to talk about " a type of blasphemy" or "ikonic blasphemy">
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:37:33 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »

LBK

Rubbish. The guardian of the chalice, be he bishop, or priest obedient to his bishop, be he Orthodox or RC/EC, has the responsibility to ensure whoever approaches the chalice has prepared himself or herself properly. This includes confession and absolution, which can only be given by a priest or bishop where someone has expressed contrition and repentance for their sins, irrespective of the nature of their sins.

As you should know, we Orthodox don't distinguish between "venial" and "mortal" sins. Repentance is repentance. There is no evidence that this homosexual woman has repented from her sin, be it her engaging in homosexual acts, or her apostasy. It is repentance which allows us, Orthodox and Roman/Eastern Catholic alike, to approach the chalice.

Or am I mistaken about the RC/EC?

You are mistaken.  In the Catholic Church it is the communicant who has the primary responsibilty for making sure he is properly prepared, having kept the Eucharistic fast and not having any unrepented mortal sin.  The Catholic Church doesn't require Confession before every Communion.  Confession is only required if one is aware of mortal sin.  Again the priest can only withhold Communion if he knows the person is not Catholic or is persistant in mortal sin he has privately admonished the person about already. 

And while not using the terminology venial and mortal, Orthodoxy certainly distinguishes between sins otherwise there would not be canons requiring years of non-communication for some sins and not others.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »

In the Catholic Church it is the communicant who has the primary responsibilty for making sure he is properly prepared, having kept the Eucharistic fast and not having any unrepented mortal sin. 
Which puts the responsibility of guarding the chalice on the layman, not the priest. Nice.  Tongue

The Catholic Church doesn't require Confession before every Communion.

Neither does the Greek church. But don't think that Greek priests aren't capable of turning away folks who have not properly prepared themselves. I've been around.  Wink

And while not using the terminology venial and mortal, Orthodoxy certainly distinguishes between sins otherwise there would not be canons requiring years of non-communication for some sins and not others.

We are pastoral, not legalistic.  Wink
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.
According to the canon 69 of John the Faster a lesbian cannot even partake in graceless, heretical sacraments. Zonaras and Balsamon explain it would be second degree blasphemy. The neo-patristic theologians in order  to avoid any hint of scholasticism prefer to talk about " a type of blasphemy" or "ikonic blasphemy">

Second degree Malachy with intent to sing musical numbers.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »

I was kind of thinking "what difference does it make?"  How can their be any problem if there is no Grace in the RC sacraments?  Seems like much to do about nothing.

Well, it is one more problem that would have to be addressed before there could ever be a return of Rome to Orthodoxy.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »

Post of the month...?
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: