OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 02:09:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox composers and liturgical practice  (Read 1784 times) Average Rating: 0
aas

OC.net

« on: October 11, 2004, 11:02:15 PM »

I would appreciate any information you can provide regarding a couple questions I have about Orthodox music:

1.  Are the liturgical compositions of Rachmaninov (Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom; Vespers / Vigil) and Tchaikovsky (Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom; Hymns) actually used in liturgical settings (either here or in Russia, now or in the past) -- or is their use generally limited to the concert hall?

2.  Are the compositions of current Orthodox composers (such as John Tavener) being used in worship services, or are they regarded more as concert pieces?

Thank you very much for any information you can provide!

NULL
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 11:25:20 PM »

Although composers are still used, there is (thankfully in my opinion) a move away from this back to real chant.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:18:46 AM »

The classical pieces by Russian composers are very much in use in Russian Orthodox churches.

No idea re: Tavener. Probably not based on his pieces that I've heard. Nothing wrong them but they weren't liturgical.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:16:09 PM »

Even in my little mission parish here in South Carolina, we occassionally sing Tchaichovsky's setting of "Holy God". Its GREAT!  I hear echos of monastic chant in it, esp. the base line. Granted it is in four part harmony, and well-polished musically, but it isn't theatrical or operatic at all if performed in a gentle voice. (I think one reason some people THINK much Russian Orthodox music is operatic or theatrical is because untrained voices (esp. tenors) tend to scream it when they sing, unless a firm choir director reigns them in.  We have never sung any Rachmaninov, simply because I think its too difficult for our choir. However, Rachmaninov's setting of the Opening Psalm from Vespers (Bless the Lord, O my soul) still retains a haunting melody of the old Russian folk melody, although polished up and more elegant. I like them both.
Kizzy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 02:16:47 AM »

In the GOA, the music is more often from Anna Gallos, Kevin Lawrence, or Tikey Zes... His 4 voice  paschal communion hymn "Soma Christou' is magnificent.  These composers are GO Americans.  The Russian composer music occasionally may be used, but is often seen as 'too Russian".   

In XC, D.

In XC, Kizzy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: