OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hieromartyr John Popovich  (Read 516 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: March 11, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »

I have been looking for a life of St. John (Popovich) who was martyred in 1926. Does anyone have any information on him?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:39:04 AM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:32:35 AM »

I'm not positive, but I think he was featured in one of my Orthodox Word magazines.   What specifically are you looking for?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:06 AM »

I'm not positive, but I think he was featured in one of my Orthodox Word magazines.   What specifically are you looking for?

Anything, all I is his name and place and time of his martyrdom.

Joseph
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »

You've been asking the tough questions lately, someone might have to pull a book off of a shelf for this one.  The google is elusive.

IreneOlinyk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

Is this the saint you mean in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Popovi%C4%87

The same article mentions that St. John Popovich knew St. John Maximovich of Shanghai and San Francisco:
In one of those fateful historical moments, fate brought St. Nikolaj Velimirovic, St. John Maximovich of Shanghai and San Francisco and the future saint Arch. Justin Popovich. together in Bitola. The young John Maximovich (a Russian of Serbian ancestry) was the assistant to Fr. Justin Popovich at the theological seminary there, while the Bishop of Ohrid was Fr. Nikolaj Velimirovic.

Is it true that St. John Maximovich of Shanghai and San Francisco was of Serbian origin or not?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »

The same article mentions that St. John Popovich knew St. John Maximovich of Shanghai and San Francisco:
In one of those fateful historical moments, fate brought St. Nikolaj Velimirovic, St. John Maximovich of Shanghai and San Francisco and the future saint Arch. Justin Popovich. together in Bitola. The young John Maximovich (a Russian of Serbian ancestry) was the assistant to Fr. Justin Popovich at the theological seminary there, while the Bishop of Ohrid was Fr. Nikolaj Velimirovic.

Is it true that St. John Maximovich of Shanghai and San Francisco was of Serbian origin or not?

No St. Justin and St. John are two different saints. Notice the year of death on St. John.

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »

You've been asking the tough questions lately, someone might have to pull a book off of a shelf for this one.  The google is elusive.

If I could find my answers on Google I would not be asking the questions.

Joseph
IreneOlinyk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »

No St. Justin and St. John are two different saints. Notice the year of death on St. John.
Sorry: I need to wear my glasses more often or increase the print on my monitor because I didn't even notice the two different Christian names only the common surname.  Were they related?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »

I do not think they are related but the possibility exist. The last name means "Priest Child" and it quite common amongst the people of Slavic origins.

Sorry: I need to wear my glasses more often or increase the print on my monitor because I didn't even notice the two different Christian names only the common surname.  Were they related?

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: