Author Topic: Kosovo president visits the grave of Archbishop Theofan  (Read 1595 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Kosovo president visits the grave of Archbishop Theofan
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »
Accompanied by Archpriest Arthur Liolin, Chancellor of the Albanian Orthodox Archdiocese, and many faithful from Boston’s Saint George Cathedral, Her Excellency, Madame Atifete Jahjaga, President of the Republic of Kosova, visited the grave of Archbishop Fan Noli here on the afternoon of Sunday, March 4, 2012...
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
Re: Kosovo president visits the grave of Archbishop Theofan
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Accompanied by Archpriest Arthur Liolin, Chancellor of the Albanian Orthodox Archdiocese, and many faithful from Boston’s Saint George Cathedral, Her Excellency, Madame Atifete Jahjaga, President of the Republic of Kosova, visited the grave of Archbishop Fan Noli here on the afternoon of Sunday, March 4, 2012...

Are there any Orthodox Christians among the Kosovar Albanians?

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some, but not sure if they have their own communities, churches, on that side of the border.  I wouldn't be surprised if they go across the albanian border to go to church. 

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »
What are the relations between the Serbian and Albanian Churches?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline serb1389

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
What are the relations between the Serbian and Albanian Churches?

LOL!  what do you mean by relations? 

AFAIK (and I try to not read about these things too much b/c they get me really upset), they officially "tolerate" each other (that means they play nice with each other in public), but on the ground the Serbs don't really help out the Albanians, orthodox or not.  I know there have been many issues between the two churches in Kosovo.  It's really sad b/c of all the places in the world, Orthodox should be supporting each other the most there.  The serbs just can't let go of what happened to their homeland though & the albanians consider it also their homeland.  Unfortunately in the wars, religion became the common factor of separation between peoples, so much that even more enmeshing happened between faith & race.  So Albanians, orthodox or not, were not allowed to go to the serbian churches. they just didn't trust them.  I'm not sure how it is right now, but as of 4 years ago when I was there, that was the case. 

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
I meant the official relations between the SOC and AOC.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »
Are there any Orthodox Christians among the Kosovar Albanians?

None as far as I know of.  But as Serb1389 said, there could be a few, but there are certainly no communities.  Most Orthodox Albanians are in the south of the country.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline serb1389

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:08:56 AM »
I meant the official relations between the SOC and AOC.

it's hard to tell.  most public statements are all "we're all one church" but on the ground I know it's a lot more messy. 

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:03 AM »
Can you give any examples of the official relations?

Offline serb1389

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
Can you give any examples of the official relations?

i think this will give you a decent glimpse http://www.isac-fund.org/download/Srpsko-albanski_odnosi_-_Pogled_iz_Albanije.pdf

it's a group that specifically looks into Albanian - Serbian relations & wrote a text on it.  they have some interesting paragraphs about the rule the church plays.  One interesting paragraph states: 
R.L: Albanska država, ali i civilno društvo, mora više da radi na promovisanju ovih stvari. Čak i crkva može to da radi. Nažalost, crkva u Srbiji je i suviše nacionalistička, a u Albaniji je suviše konfuzna. Ako Albanija ima nešto
da ponudi Zapadu i svojim susedima, onda je to religijska koegzistencija, suživot. Tri religije žive u harmoniji, u društvu koje je predominantno sekularno. Religija nije jaka u Albaniji. Albanski pravoslavci su često iznenađeni grčkim religijskim fanatizmom. Zvanično, Albanija je muslimanska zemlja, ali oni koje mi nazivamo muslimanima, oni ne ispunjavaju standarde drugih muslimanskih država. Ili kada poredimo pravoslavce sa Srbima ili Makedoncima, razlika je velika. Jedini koji su konzervativni su katolici na severu. Većina mešovitih brakova je između pravoslavaca i muslimana. Međutim, retki su mešoviti brakovi u koje su uključeni katolici. Oni su poprilično zatvoreni.

RL: The Albanian government, and civil society, has to do more to promote these things. Even the church to be working. Unfortunately, the church in Serbia is too nationalistic in Albania is too confusing. If Albania has something
to offer the West and its neighbors, it is the religious coexistence, coexistence. The three religions live in harmony in a society that is predominantly secular. Religion is not strong in Albania. Albanian Orthodox are often surprised by the Greek religious fanaticism. Officially, Albania is a Muslim country, but those which we call the Muslims, they do not meet the standards of other Muslim states. Or when we compare with the Orthodox Serbs and Macedonians, the difference is huge. The only people who are conservative Catholics in the north. The majority of mixed marriages between Orthodox Christians and Muslims. However, very few mixed marriages involving Catholics. They are quite closed.
http://translate.google.com/#sr|en|R.L%3A%20Albanska%20država%2C%20ali%20i%20civilno%20društvo%2C%20mora%20više%20da%20radi%20na%20promovisanju%20ovih%20stvari.%20Čak%20i%20crkva%20može%20to%20da%20radi.%20Nažalost%2C%20crkva%20u%20Srbiji%20je%20i%20suviše%20nacionalistička%2C%20a%20u%20Albaniji%20je%20suviše%20konfuzna.%20Ako%20Albanija%20ima%20nešto%0Ada%20ponudi%20Zapadu%20i%20svojim%20susedima%2C%20onda%20je%20to%20religijska%20koegzistencija%2C%20suživot.%20Tri%20religije%20žive%20u%20harmoniji%2C%20u%20društvu%20koje%20je%20predominantno%20sekularno.%20Religija%20nije%20jaka%20u%20Albaniji.%20Albanski%20pravoslavci%20su%20često%20iznenađeni%20grčkim%20religijskim%20fanatizmom.%20Zvanično%2C%20Albanija%20je%20muslimanska%20zemlja%2C%20ali%20oni%20koje%20mi%20nazivamo%20muslimanima%2C%20oni%20ne%20ispunjavaju%20standarde%20drugih%20muslimanskih%20država.%20Ili%20kada%20poredimo%20pravoslavce%20sa%20Srbima%20ili%20Makedoncima%2C%20razlika%20je%20velika.%20Jedini%20koji%20su%20konzervativni%20su%20katolici%20na%20severu.%20Većina%20mešovitih%20brakova%20je%20između%20pravoslavaca%20i%20muslimana.%20Međutim%2C%20retki%20su%20mešoviti%20brakovi%20u%20koje%20su%20uključeni%20katolici.%20Oni%20su%20poprilično%20zatvoreni.%0A