OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:13:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tolkien and the Nazis  (Read 884 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 10, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »

In 1938, some months after the initial publication of The Hobbit, J. R. R. Tolkien and his British publisher, Stanley Unwin, opened talks with Rütten & Loening, a Berlin-based publishing house who were keen to translate the novel for the German market. All was going well until, in July, they wrote to Tolkien and asked for proof of his Aryan descent. Tolkien was furious, and forwarded their letter to his publisher along with two possible replies — one in which their question was delicately side-stepped, and one, seen below, in which Tolkien made his displeasure known with considerable style.

Sweet.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »

I like how he subtly have shown how being Aryan means sharing ancestry with those who they possibly might have had some bigotry against.

This is nice.  And the fact that it happened on July 25th (my birthday) makes it even nicer.  Cool

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »

I knew I had good reason to like that guy.  Smiley

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Katerina, my sister, dear beyond measure

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:35 AM »

In 1938, some months after the initial publication of The Hobbit, J. R. R. Tolkien and his British publisher, Stanley Unwin, opened talks with Rütten & Loening, a Berlin-based publishing house who were keen to translate the novel for the German market. All was going well until, in July, they wrote to Tolkien and asked for proof of his Aryan descent. Tolkien was furious, and forwarded their letter to his publisher along with two possible replies — one in which their question was delicately side-stepped, and one, seen below, in which Tolkien made his displeasure known with considerable style.

Sweet.

Sweet it is!
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:42:26 AM »

I'm sure I'm reading too much into them, but Tolkien's novels strike me as pretty race-conscious, to say the least.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »

It is OK to be racist against Indians, Kenyans, Ugandans, Zulu, Bantu and the like.  Just don't be racist against the Joos.  That be real bad.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:40 PM »

It is OK to be racist against Indians, Kenyans, Ugandans, Zulu, Bantu and the like.  Just don't be racist against the Joos.  That be real bad.

Um, relevance?
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »

I like how he subtly have shown how being Aryan means sharing ancestry with those who they possibly might have had some bigotry against.

This is nice.  And the fact that it happened on July 25th (my birthday) makes it even nicer.  Cool

Were the Nazis anti-Indian?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »

I honestly don't know, but I can imagine so...i mean if one is already bigotted as it is within your own race, one's bigotry doesn't stop against the Jews.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:27:24 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 07:29:32 PM »

I think the Nazis would have viewed the Indians as, at best, degenerated Nordics who had interbred with inferior races. The Nazi approach to the Gypsies (who originally come from northwest India) was one of extermination.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »

Um, relevance?

An English author upset about German racism.  When it comes to racism, the English wrote the book.  Look who coined the term "Consentration Camp" and when.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »

Um, relevance?

An English author upset about German racism.  When it comes to racism, the English wrote the book.  Look who coined the term "Consentration Camp" and when.

Pot, meet kettle.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »

This is nice.  And the fact that it happened on July 25th (my birthday) makes it even nicer.  Cool

I honestly don't know, but I can imagine so...i mean if one is already bigotted as it is within your own race, one's bigotry doesn't stop against the Jews.

Reduction of Nazi racial theory to a singular statement is difficult. Even more difficult is what "Nazi" praxis would be in a simple statement.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:40:20 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »

This is nice.  And the fact that it happened on July 25th (my birthday) makes it even nicer.  Cool

Reduction of Nazi racial theory to a singular statement is difficult. Even more difficult is what "Nazi" praxis would be in a simple statement.

Amen.  As one who has known Nazis first hand, and I do not mean the modern poseurs.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »

Indeed.  For instance, I've read in several reliable places that Hitler had the goal of Japan ruling Asia.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 08:30:01 PM »

Indeed.  For instance, I've read in several reliable places that Hitler had the goal of Japan ruling Asia.
Certainly explains why, on December 11, 1941, three days after the U.S. declared war on Japan, Germany declared war on the U.S.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »

Wouldn't this be for convenience sake, rather than spreading yourself out thin?  I mean, if Hitler had the choice and power, he'd probably turn against the Japs too.

Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »

Check out the Wikipedia entry for the term "Aryan" for more information.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »

Indeed.  For instance, I've read in several reliable places that Hitler had the goal of Japan ruling Asia.

Wouldn't this be for convenience sake, rather than spreading yourself out thin?  I mean, if Hitler had the choice and power, he'd probably turn against the Japs too.

You obviously didn't understand what the Third Reich was about.

Churchill was the worst thing that happened to the Jews.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:19:41 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indische_Legion

no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »

Indeed.  For instance, I've read in several reliable places that Hitler had the goal of Japan ruling Asia.

Wouldn't this be for convenience sake, rather than spreading yourself out thin?  I mean, if Hitler had the choice and power, he'd probably turn against the Japs too.

How so?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »

How so?

Why?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 09:03:31 AM »

How so?

Why?
I don't know. You were the one who said Churchill was the worst thing that happened to the Jews. I've never seen this point of view expressed before, so I'm curious to know what you mean by saying it.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 09:10:33 AM »

How so?

Why?
I don't know. You were the one who said Churchill was the worst thing that happened to the Jews. I've never seen this point of view expressed before, so I'm curious to know what you mean by saying it.

First hyperbole.

And if the British didn't get involved in the affairs of the Germans peoples, the costs and ravages of war would not have made work and annihilation camps the method of choice for enforcing the Aryanization of the German World.

For instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar_Plan#In_Nazi_Germany

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:10:52 AM by orthonorm » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 09:30:50 AM »

How so?

Why?

First hyperbole.

And if the British didn't get involved in the affairs of the Germans peoples, the costs and ravages of war would not have made work and annihilation camps the method of choice for enforcing the Aryanization of the German World.

For instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar_Plan#In_Nazi_Germany

From the wikipedia article: "How the native Malagasy population of Madagascar was to fit in with this plan was never elaborated upon."

I wonder if the Malagasy would have gotten off better than the Palestinians? 

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »

Getting rid of the Japs was in the plans.

Wouldn't this be for convenience sake, rather than spreading yourself out thin?  I mean, if Hitler had the choice and power, he'd probably turn against the Japs too.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »

Is it that difficult to type Japanese rather than Jap?
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »

Yes, when it has to be done due to some stupid political correctness.  Do you need a tissue?

Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »

Yes, when it has to be done due to some stupid political correctness.  Do you need a tissue?

Ach you Serbian Untermensch…
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »

Why offend, when it would be just as easy to not offend? 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: