OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 11:02:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please pray for my faith.  (Read 409 times) Average Rating: 0
Yeshayahu

« on: March 10, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »

Hello,

I am not Orthodox.

I'm a Jew (although my dad was baptized in to the Greek Orthodox Church) in Israel studying at Yeshiva (a school for Jewish studies) and want to understand and become closer to Christ. Here are some fear-driven thoughts that have been troubling me and preventing me from doing so:
1. I don't want to upset God by accepting Christ and perceiving Hashem (god) as a trinity. In Judaism this is considered idolatrous.
2. I've been told that I would completely sever my relationship with God by adopting "foreign" ideologies such as those related to Christ.
3. In Judaism we have a concept related to Satan that is referred to as the "Evil Inclination", and I've been told that this is what is causing me to become drawn to Christianity.
4. When presented with all these different forms of Christianity (Orthodoxy, RC, Protestantism, etc.) sometimes I just feel like "throwing in the towel", as there is no chance I'll ever discover the truth and am better off with Judaism.
5. I don't want to upset my mother.
6. I'm worried about getting baptized. For one, as I've already initiated what's become an ongoing experience of faith in Christ, I'm worried that my desire for an "official baptism" would undermine the "spiritual baptism" that I've already undergone. Also, I'm in Jerusalem and can't find any english speaking Greek Orthodox priests to talk to!

My name is Theo.
Thank you for your prayers.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

For what it's worth, I shared many of your concerns. Rest assured (easy for me to say) that it is the Holy Spirit reaching out to you.  You may even know this already, even if formulating the comprehension of this is beyond our abilities.

You will be in our prayers, and hopefully someone can provide information on an English speaking priest. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:25:35 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
vorgos

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »

Hello,

I am not Orthodox.

I'm a Jew (although my dad was baptized in to the Greek Orthodox Church) in Israel studying at Yeshiva (a school for Jewish studies) and want to understand and become closer to Christ. Here are some fear-driven thoughts that have been troubling me and preventing me from doing so:
1. I don't want to upset God by accepting Christ and perceiving Hashem (god) as a trinity. In Judaism this is considered idolatrous.
2. I've been told that I would completely sever my relationship with God by adopting "foreign" ideologies such as those related to Christ.
3. In Judaism we have a concept related to Satan that is referred to as the "Evil Inclination", and I've been told that this is what is causing me to become drawn to Christianity.
4. When presented with all these different forms of Christianity (Orthodoxy, RC, Protestantism, etc.) sometimes I just feel like "throwing in the towel", as there is no chance I'll ever discover the truth and am better off with Judaism.
5. I don't want to upset my mother.
6. I'm worried about getting baptized. For one, as I've already initiated what's become an ongoing experience of faith in Christ, I'm worried that my desire for an "official baptism" would undermine the "spiritual baptism" that I've already undergone. Also, I'm in Jerusalem and can't find any english speaking Greek Orthodox priests to talk to!

My name is Theo.
Thank you for your prayers.

Yeshayahu, have you tried contacting the Patriarchate in Jerusalem? If there are any English speaking clergy there they would know.

I wouldn't worry about baptism just yet. Take the time to read and learn about Christianity and all the different denominations. Once you've learned a bit, you will be able to make the right decisions with less anxiety and fear.

I would highly recommend the book by Rev. A. James Bernstein, "Surprised by Christ". You may find it helpful. It describes the author's journey from Orthodox Judaism to Orthodox Christianity.

May God give you strength and guide you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:22:54 PM by vorgos » Logged
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:33:38 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Welcome to the OrthodoxChristianity.net. This being the 'Prayer Forum' I'll keep things brief, but if you wish also to discuss your concerns and receive some feedback here on the forum, you may want to start similar thread in 'Convert Issues'. Again welcome. Smiley

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

Lord, have mercy! May God's will be done in you.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »

His views are a bit extreme but Ex-Jew now Orthodox 'Pastor' who calls himself Brother Nathael has some experience in this area

http://brothernathanaelfoundation.org/

http://www.realzionistnews.com

YouTube  Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/zionget

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
orthodoxchristianonline

Faith: ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN
Jurisdiction: ORTHODOX CHRISTIANITY

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »

Theo, from the Bible we have seen that God is merciful and forgiving. Putting your faith in Christ is placing your faith on the Father and Holy Spirit. A great Jewish teacher who passed away recently in Jerusalem, confessed that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, before he passed away. You make a step and God will make a thousand steps forward on your behalf. God never left anyone, and hope not me either Tongue

Lord have mercy on your servant.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: