OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:48:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO-EO mixed couples  (Read 1762 times) Average Rating: 0
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« on: March 10, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »

Hi all,

Is here anyone here who is OO, married to an EO partner, or vice versa? What are your experiences? Do you attend church together, how is the spiritual life, acceptance from families etc?

Thanks in advance

Gorazd
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »

At my Church I know of a young man of both Greek and Egyptian descent. He lived in Greece for a time and he was freely communed in Greek Churches there even though he was baptized OO, and he has been offered communion by several Greek Priests here in the States.

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »

I know of at least one couple, a Greek Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox couple, one of whom is a member here but I've not seen him online in a while and it's not appropriate for me to answer for him.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Dimitrius

Orthodoxy is the way

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:56:52 AM »

Hello All,

I am a Greek Orthodox married to a Coptic Orthodox. My wife and I agreed that we would attend the Coptic Church since I was familiar with both churches but she is familiar with only the Coptic Church. I didn't 'convert' to OO but I have been attending the Coptic Church for years. Just for clarification, I am convinced more than ever that there really isn't a true difference any more between EO and OO. I take communion in both Greek and Coptic churches, although I mostly attend a Coptic church with my wife and children.

I was tonsured a deacon in the Coptic church with the rank of Eugnostus (sp) by the hands of H.H Pope Shenounda III in 1989. The priest who allowed me to come to the Coptic church in 1988 new I was Greek Orthodox and did not ask me to 'convert'.

Its time EO and OO re-established communion. The separation between these two churches is meaningless now and insisting that one group has to admit they ere wrong and 'repent' only makes things worse. Chalsedon has been discussed at nausium and the conclusion is the OO are not Monophysites and the EO are not Nestorian.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:58:09 AM »

Hello All,

I am a Greek Orthodox married to a Coptic Orthodox. My wife and I agreed that we would attend the Coptic Church since I was familiar with both churches but she is familiar with only the Coptic Church. I didn't 'convert' to OO but I have been attending the Coptic Church for years. Just for clarification, I am convinced more than ever that there really isn't a true difference any more between EO and OO. I take communion in both Greek and Coptic churches, although I mostly attend a Coptic church with my wife and children.

I was tonsured a deacon in the Coptic church with the rank of Eugnostus (sp) by the hands of H.H Pope Shenounda III in 1989. The priest who allowed me to come to the Coptic church in 1988 new I was Greek Orthodox and did not ask me to 'convert'.

Its time EO and OO re-established communion. The separation between these two churches is meaningless now and insisting that one group has to admit they ere wrong and 'repent' only makes things worse. Chalsedon has been discussed at nausium and the conclusion is the OO are not Monophysites and the EO are not Nestorian.

Wonderful post brother. I agree with you 100%. I am Ethiopian Orthodox, but I commune at the Greek Orthodox Church in our city since our Ethiopian Church is 7 hours away. What a blessing that you were tonsured by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III of blessed memory! Let us pray for the spirit of love, unity, and reconciliation to prevail amongst all EO and OO brethren. Christ is One, the Holy Trinity is One, and our Churches are One.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:29:17 AM »

The separation between these two churches is meaningless now and insisting that one group has to admit they ere wrong and 'repent' only makes things worse.

Thank you for theological argument.
mountainman

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: oca

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »

Hello All,

Wonderful post brother. I agree with you 100%. I am Ethiopian Orthodox, but I commune at the Greek Orthodox Church in our city since our Ethiopian Church is 7 hours away. What a blessing that you were tonsured by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III of blessed memory! Let us pray for the spirit of love, unity, and reconciliation to prevail amongst all EO and OO brethren. Christ is One, the Holy Trinity is One, and our Churches are One.

Selam

+1
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »

The separation between these two churches is meaningless now and insisting that one group has to admit they ere wrong and 'repent' only makes things worse.

This thread is not about theological arguments, but about experiences in OO-EO marriages. And I am glad to read that Dimitrius has experienced such unity in his marriage and church life.
As for the theological arguments, it does seem to be that the Church of Finland accepts Chambésy without reservation and regularly communes OOs.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »

I was tonsured a deacon in the Coptic church with the rank of Eugnostus (sp) by the hands of H.H Pope Shenounda III in 1989.

'Anagnostis' in Greek, 'Reader' in English.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »

This thread is not about theological arguments, but about experiences in OO-EO marriages. And I am glad to read that Dimitrius has experienced such unity in his marriage and church life.

And I'm not trying to turn this thread into another theological debate. I'm glad for Dimitrius too and I'm not trying to critisize his opinions. I just find that kind of views kind of like sweeping problems under carpet.

As for the theological arguments, it does seem to be that the Church of Finland accepts Chambésy without reservation and regularly communes OOs.

Probably so but then again we have a sort of habit of interpreting every Orthodox tradition fairly liberally. Gregorian calendar and other such eccentricities.
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »

Hello All,

Thank you for sharing this.  It is high time that inter-communion is established between the OO and EO Churches.  A Syriac OO parish meets on Sunday afternoon at my Serbian parish.  Glory to God!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »

I'm sorry, but don't the Oriental Orthodox reject the final three Ecumenical Councils? Even though we may be similar, I honestly cannot overlook this difference.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »

I'm sorry, but don't the Oriental Orthodox reject the final three Ecumenical Councils? Even though we may be similar, I honestly cannot overlook this difference.

I'm sorry, but can't we have the theological discussion in another thread? (and again, the theological problem has been solved since 1990, only the establishment of full communion, which was planned then, has so far only been achieved in Antioch)
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

I'm going to ask that this thread be kept on topic.  That is to say that I want it restricted to OO's or EO's in mixed marriages discussing their experiences in their marriages.  Any discussion about ecumenical councils, whether OO's are Orthodox, and unity between our Churches, should be the subject of a new thread.  Posts of a polemical nature, of course, should go in the private forum.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:21:45 PM by Salpy » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »

I'm sorry, but don't the Oriental Orthodox reject the final three Ecumenical Councils?

The final four.

Even though we may be similar, I honestly cannot overlook this difference.

With the greatest of respect, the Christological controversy of the 5th and subsequent centuries is extremely complex, subtle and nuanced - and that's without throwing all of the historical variables into the mix. While I think your concern to not compromise the Orthodoxy of the Church is laudable (and valuable in this time of false ecumenism), I would strongly recommend that you get a firm grasp of Orthodox Christology before you delve into this debate. I'm not trying to stifle honest enquiry, which is always a positive, but think you, being an inquirer into Orthodoxy, would benefit from taking this step by step.

There are plenty of threads on this board where this issue has been discussed in quite some detail should you wish to delve deeper at a later date.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »

Most of the EO-OO couples work much in the same way that other mixed Christian marriages do. The wife communes in her church, the husband in his. The kids in one or the other, but not both. The difference, I would assume, is at home, where feasts and fasts, prayers, etc. can be shared. So while there is division at the chalice, there is unity in the home.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

Most of the EO-OO couples work much in the same way that other mixed Christian marriages do. The wife communes in her church, the husband in his. The kids in one or the other, but not both.

Most? How many such couples do you know? Do you live in one?

Actually, I must say that I know only 2 such couples in Egypt and 2 in Germany, but I have seen them ALL commune together in the EO church with their children. And as far as I am aware, at least one of the families regularly commune together in an OO church as well.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »

The difference, I would assume, is at home, where feasts and fasts, prayers, etc. can be shared.
It is not so easy - remember the calendar differences, please. The Coptic Church is on the Old Calendar (or actually, they have their own calendar, which is parallel to the Julian one), where as the EO church of Alexandria is on the New Calendar, just like Greece and Antioch. That means celebrating Christmas twice.

Same for Russian-Armenian couples. Moscow is on the Old Calendar, but Armenians have their own date of Christmas.

What can be celebrated together though, is Easter. Kids from Catholic/Coptic families also get to celebrate Easter twice.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »

It is not so easy - remember the calendar differences, please. The Coptic Church is on the Old Calendar (or actually, they have their own calendar, which is parallel to the Julian one), where as the EO church of Alexandria is on the New Calendar, just like Greece and Antioch. That means celebrating Christmas twice.

That's no different than when a Greek marries a Russian, a Georgian marries an Antiochian, a Copt marries an Armenian, a Syrian marries an Ethiopian, etc. So that's hardly an EO-OO problem.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:04:41 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

I'm sorry, but can't we have the theological discussion in another thread? (and again, the theological problem has been solved since 1990, only the establishment of full communion, which was planned then, has so far only been achieved in Antioch)

SOLVED? Not really.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »

Antioch is problematic, as you can add the Melkite Greek-Catholics to the love fest. Not exactly a flagship locale for intercommunion based in reality...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »

Hi all,

Is here anyone here who is OO, married to an EO partner, or vice versa? What are your experiences? Do you attend church together, how is the spiritual life, acceptance from families etc?

Thanks in advance

Gorazd
LOL.  I was wondering about the change in your avatar jurisdiction.

I've known lots of such couples.  I haven't known any problems, they attend together, and are about as spiritual as the rest of the parishes.  The fruit of one such union was the deacon of Pope Nicholas VI of Alexandria.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »

LOL.  I was wondering about the change in your avatar jurisdiction.
Yes, it refers to the parish of St. Paraskevi in Victoria, Alexandria.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »

A tangent about communing in each other's Churches was split off and put here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43760.msg725524.html#msg725524

Please address all responses to the subject matter of that thread in that thread.

kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)

Lord have mercy

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »

I've been searching and searching for a thread on this issue.
Lately, I've been corresponding with a Coptic girl on an Orthodox dating website. Our conversations are always such a joy, especially since she has such an incredible passion for Christ. If we started dating and it progressed to marriage, what would the demands of each particular church likely be? Do any oc.net users have or know of experiences in this area?

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »

I've been searching and searching for a thread on this issue.
Lately, I've been corresponding with a Coptic girl on an Orthodox dating website. Our conversations are always such a joy, especially since she has such an incredible passion for Christ. If we started dating and it progressed to marriage, what would the demands of each particular church likely be? Do any oc.net users have or know of experiences in this area?
That all depends on your jurisdcition along with other factors.

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

kevlev
Site Supporter

Lord have mercy

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »

Thank-you very much for the response and forgive me, Severian. I will consult my priest on the matter.

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »

Thank-you very much for the response and forgive me, Severian. I will consult my priest on the matter.
Oh, no problem! Glad I could I help. Smiley

Christ is risen!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:04:16 AM by Severian » Logged

kevlev
Site Supporter

Lord have mercy

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »

Oh, no problem! Glad I could I help. Smiley

Christ is risen!

Bless you! Smiley
Indeed He is risen!!

Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: