OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:01:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible inspired cookies  (Read 1185 times) Average Rating: 0
jaroslavkourakin

« on: March 10, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »

http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products/ezekiel-49

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products

Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."

They forgot one thing however. The human excrement as fuel for the fire to bake it over.

Now please tell me how this has come out of the mouth of a Holy and merciful God. Else I will conclude the Bible is blasphemy.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:06:26 AM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »

Else I will conclude the Bible is blasphemy.

Who cares?

edit:
The reason for that is that you dislike the idea of burning excrements? Why? Excrements are fairly accessible in desert area (in contrary to wood) and have quite good heating value. Why not to use them?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:25:21 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:12 AM »

Who cares?

edit:
The reason for that is that you dislike the idea of burning excrements? Why? Excrements are fairly accessible in desert area (in contrary to wood) and have quite good heating value. Why not to use them?

That's not how the conversation with Ezekiel and the Lord went.

Why would God positively tell someone to make food over excrement? Should we worry about economy, that we need to use dung for fuel?

In any case I think all of those ingredients can be eaten raw.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:43:54 AM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:46:42 AM »

Excrements are one of the main fuels of humanity. Have you never been to school?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:47:09 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »

Excrements are one of the main fuels of humanity. Have you never been to school?

Very well. The metaphor appears to be an indication of poverty, yet the story stresses some kind of defilement.

Another thing I find unholy is the command that a rapists shall marry the victim. I found an explanation here stating that this is favorable because the woman would not be accepted by any other man. But is not this non-acceptance itself something that is taught by the law?

http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/70885

It's as if the Law is neatly constructed to have rape victims marry their rapists.

As I personally believe in soul mates and that the only purpose of marriage is to unite these halves of a Man, so too I do not find it fit that a victim shall marry the rapist, unless the rapist is indeed her soul mate.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:40:28 AM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »

Very well. The metaphor appears to be an indication of poverty, yet the story stresses some kind of defilement.

I'll try one more time: That's not metaphor. People in many areas burn dried excrements (human and animal) for heating and cooking. Deal with it.

And try eating raw grains. Just don't accuse me of your digestion problems later.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:46:44 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »

Another thing I find unholy is the command that a rapists shall marry the victim. I found an explanation here stating that this is favorable because the woman would not be accepted by any other man. But is not this non-acceptance itself something that is taught by the law?

It's as if the Law is neatly constructed to have rape victims marry their rapists.
The Law was written in a time and place when women would have no future unmarried and few would marry a woman they perceived as "defiled." It's not pretty, but it needs to be taken into account.
As I personally believe in soul mates and that the only purpose of marriage is to unite these halves of a Man, so too I do not find it fit that a victim shall marry the rapist, unless the rapist is indeed her soul mate.
Why? And what on earth does any of this have to do with bread recipes?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:55:57 AM »

Good trolls are always hard to come by.

I'm going to need this.
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »

I'll try one more time: That's not metaphor. People in many areas burn dried excrements (human and animal) for heating and cooking. Deal with it.

Then why the resentment from Ezekiel? Seems he never did it before.

As for the digestion, there are some different views on that but why not soak it thorougly?

The Law was written in a time and place when women would have no future unmarried and few would marry a woman they perceived as "defiled." It's not pretty, but it needs to be taken into account.

Why? And what on earth does any of this have to do with bread recipes?

It has to do with what I find unholy in the Bible. Or do you want me to start a new thread for every thing?

It is the Law itself that give men such sentiments. The Israelites had no problem with a more 'liberal' orientation, but we saw how it went with Zimri.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:10:51 AM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »

Or do you want me to start a new thread for every thing?

Yes

I'm going to need this.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »

http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products/ezekiel-49

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products

Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."

They forgot one thing however. The human excrement as fuel for the fire to bake it over.

Now please tell me how this has come out of the mouth of a Holy and merciful God. Else I will conclude the Bible is blasphemy.

One time my cat surrounded the respirators and shouted balance through the snickering tree house. Penalty hats remove shepherd burns. Angular toes.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »

Good trolls are always hard to come by.

i haven't found anything particularly exceptional about this one...perhaps my trolling standards are higher than yours Wink
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:18:12 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
David Leon

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »

Has anyone else ever seen "Ezekiel Bread" on sale at the local grocery?  We have it down south, not sure where it is made.  I doubt that it is baked over smoldering excrement, but I could be mistaken.  Do I need to take a photo and post it of this product?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »

They see me trollin'
They hatin'
Patrolling they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »

That would be an incredibly nutritious bread.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »

That would be an incredibly nutritious bread.

How quaint, because God called it "defiled bread". Ezekiel 4:13.

It was a punishment bread. For those who know the context of the story, Jerusalem is under siege because Israel was misbehaving AGAIN. So, among other things, they get to eat this bad bread as a punishment. Ezekiel also had to shave off his hair and bread, lie on the ground out in the town square, that sort of thing.

The Ezekiel bread people leave that part out, for some reason.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »

Ezekiel 4:9 cereal is actually quite good.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »

"As I personally believe in soul mates and that the only purpose of marriage is to unite these halves of a Man, so too I do not find it fit that a victim shall marry the rapist, unless the rapist is indeed her soul mate."

How has that been working out lately....50+% divorce rate?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:42:40 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

"As I personally believe in soul mates and that the only purpose of marriage is to unite these halves of a Man, so too I do not find it fit that a victim shall marry the rapist, unless the rapist is indeed her soul mate."

How has that been working out lately....50+% divorce rate?

You think people are marrying their soul mates?

I find it a hard saying also Christ forbids divorce. What if it wasn't your wife you married, but somebody else's soul mate?
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »

whatever they are doing nowadays, solemate, dopplganer, whatever --- its just not working!

Biblical times, the divore rate was no where near what it is now.
Back then people accepted things and were not so concerned with tehrre rights and what is best for them.
They married and that was there wife. No oops shes not my soul mate crap!
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »

No oops shes not my soul mate crap!

My point was rather that people let their perverted mind and fleshly desire to be their guide in choosing a mate, and not God. Like we have atheists getting married. Should they know who their soul mate is, and not who God is?

People were married away by their parents a lot, and are still. Funny how I read a story where a woman was to be married away, and the guy died pretty much on the wedding day! Divine providence if you ask me. Can't just marry anyone.

Not to speak of the rape trap of the Law. I really wonder how many it caught of all marriages.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:47:22 PM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 11:13:35 PM »

No oops shes not my soul mate crap!

My point was rather that people let their perverted mind and fleshly desire to be their guide in choosing a mate, and not God. Like we have atheists getting married. Should they know who their soul mate is, and not who God is?

People were married away by their parents a lot, and are still. Funny how I read a story where a woman was to be married away, and the guy died pretty much on the wedding day! Divine providence if you ask me. Can't just marry anyone.

Not to speak of the rape trap of the Law. I really wonder how many it caught of all marriages.

Angry, angry, angry boy.  Sad Sad Please, for your own good, and for the good of others around you, get help!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »

Has anyone else ever seen "Ezekiel Bread" on sale at the local grocery?  We have it down south, not sure where it is made.  I doubt that it is baked over smoldering excrement, but I could be mistaken.  Do I need to take a photo and post it of this product?
I've had some of that bread I would say it's pretty good, whatever they cooked it over.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »

Ezekiel also had to shave off his hair and bread
Apparently God likes his bread without the crust.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »

Has anyone else ever seen "Ezekiel Bread" on sale at the local grocery?  We have it down south, not sure where it is made.  I doubt that it is baked over smoldering excrement, but I could be mistaken.  Do I need to take a photo and post it of this product?
I've had some of that bread I would say it's pretty good, whatever they cooked it over.
I have good friends who eat it almost exclusively, and it's quite filling and doesn't taste like s*** at all.

The only place I've seen it for sale is at Drug Emporium in Lafayette. I assume it's more readily available in granola-nuttier areas.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:07:01 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »

"Soul mate" is not a Christian concept.
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »

Depends on how you read it. God made Man in his image, this Man is male and female. Should the male go and take the female of another Man than the one he is of? Likeweise God made Eve out of a rib of Adam and closed it up with flesh. Should Adam go and take somebody else's rib? Who is not the bone of his bone, and flesh of his flesh? Or as I read it, who is not a part of his soul, the soul which is both male and female according to the first account.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:13:29 PM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »

Depends on how you read it. God made Man in his image, this Man is male and female. Should the male go and take the female of another Man than the one he is of? Likeweise God made Eve out of a rib of Adam and closed it up with flesh. Should Adam go and take somebody else's rib? Who is not the bone of his bone, and flesh of his flesh? Or as I read it, who is not a part of his soul, the soul which is both male and female according to the first account.
Ummmmm, I don't seem to remember that playing out in my courtship of my wife. Perhaps we are doomed? Maybe I should get a rib removed and have it fashioned into a woman?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »

Ummmmm, I don't seem to remember that playing out in my courtship of my wife. Perhaps we are doomed? Maybe I should get a rib removed and have it fashioned into a woman?

Just an expression that part of your being is another person. An individual is not a complete human being. And not any other is suitable for completeness, or whoever you find attractive to the senses. That would be quite nutters.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »

Has anyone else ever seen "Ezekiel Bread" on sale at the local grocery?  We have it down south, not sure where it is made.  I doubt that it is baked over smoldering excrement, but I could be mistaken.  Do I need to take a photo and post it of this product?
I have good friends who eat it almost exclusively, and it's quite filling and doesn't taste like s*** at all.

The only place I've seen it for sale is at Drug Emporium in Lafayette. I assume it's more readily available in granola-nuttier areas.
Our local grocer carries it, don't know if that makes us a granola-nuttier area, though. Perhaps it does. Grin

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »

You can get them at Kroger here in Dayton. It probably has as much to do with Jesusiness as it does to do with granola-nuttiness.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:16:59 PM by That person » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »

You can get them at Kroger here in Dayton. It probably has as much to do with Jesusiness as it does to do with granola-nuttiness.

As a point of information, Ezekiel bread is from California, it is available at most grocery stores here (including the Kroger owned Ralphs chain). It is popular with low carb diet people. My complaint is its high price and extremely short shelf life with loaves being placed and forgotten in the freezer. Adding to the confusion, the expiration date is according to the Julian calendar (or so says the web site quoted above).
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »

As a point of information, Ezekiel bread is from California, it is available at most grocery stores here (including the Kroger owned Ralphs chain). It is popular with low carb diet people. My complaint is its high price and extremely short shelf life with loaves being placed and forgotten in the freezer. Adding to the confusion, the expiration date is according to the Julian calendar (or so says the web site quoted above).

Opus as usual is correct. Frozen bread = death.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »

Frozen bread = death.
I use frozen sliced bread to make toast. Unless you're buying bread from an independent bakery, your bread has probably been frozen multiple times by the time you buy it anyway.

Even Kroger's "artisan breads" that cost $4.49 each were baked and frozen at a factory, then defrosted and toasted in an oven.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:04:05 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »

Frozen bread = death.
I use frozen sliced bread to make toast. Unless you're buying bread from an independent bakery, your bread has probably been frozen multiple times by the time you buy it anyway.

Even Kroger's "artisan breads" that cost $4.49 each were baked and frozen at a factory, then defrosted and toasted in an oven.

I don't buy bread.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »

Frozen bread = death.

I don't buy bread.

I do, and although I have not cared for any of the Kroger's artisan breads that I have tried, I do appreciate Safeway's (Vons in my location) San Francisco style sourdough bread for $1.69 in its paper wrapped form with a crispy and tangy crust. Almost like the real thing and I could not bake anything close to it myself. I went through almost an half of a pound with my lentils this evening.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »

Frozen bread = death.

I don't buy bread.
But do you buy the stuff to make bread?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 01:14:43 AM »

Frozen bread = death.

I don't buy bread.

No. I never cared for bread and all that. I get plenty of bread outside the house anyway.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:16 AM »

I do, and although I have not cared for any of the Kroger's artisan breads that I have tried, I do appreciate Safeway's (Vons in my location) San Francisco style sourdough bread for $1.69 in its paper wrapped form with a crispy and tangy crust.

I'll have to try that. I buy Seattle International Sourdough sometimes. It's nothing like home-baked, or "normal"  grocery store sourdough, but is rather unique. Problem is, it's a little pricey. The safeway stuff you mentioned might be a good substitute.

On a related note, here is not how to fast using sourdough:

http://lunchwithdionysus.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/love-bread-and-cheese/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:59:09 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »

I don't buy bread.

No. I never cared for bread and all that. I get plenty of bread outside the house anyway.

So, do you steal all of your bread or receive it from charitable people you meet?

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »

I don't buy bread.

So, do you steal all of your bread or receive it from charitable people you meet?

You do not understand women Sauron. I think it is more like this when he steps outside:

I also noted a certain degree of jealousy in their eyes.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »

I don't buy bread.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: